HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Jacob Trouba - US NTDP, USHL (2012, 9th overall, Winnipeg)

Old
03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
TheNudge

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Hey guys! I'm curious as to his ETA for the NHL and how many points do you think he'll be able to get? I know he's behind Buff, Enstrom & Bogo for time on the PP but what do you guys think is his likely point production?
any where from 30 to 50 pts my guess would be. The kid can do it all and it all depend what kind of role Winnipeg gives him.

TheNudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Kershaw

Just a stud, watched him play the last Michigan game and was simply on another level.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Just a stud, watched him play the last Michigan game and was simply on another level.
He was Great, the only player who he really had trouble with was Anders Lee

Trouba is a stud, I cant believe how young he is.....He plays a mature game imo

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:11 PM
smokes lets go

what are the flaws in his game? From what ive seen/read he literally does everything well. Great skater, good IQ, can play both an offensive/defensive game, and can lay devastating hits, seems like the complete package to me.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:14 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
I've noticed he tends to lose coverage in front of the net, and when he thinks someone will shoot he does a sliding shot block. He did that to RNH during the world juniors and RNH just held on to the puck, making Trouba look foolish.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
plays so much like Shea Weber it's scary
It's so weird, the comparable I kept hearing with him prior to the draft was Adam Foote. And that's not faint praise, Foote was an absolute beast. I just don't get where that comparison came from at all, I don't see any real similarities.

Shea Weber is definitely the guy I see in him, or perhaps Rob Blake. Still obviously has a long way to go, but the thought that he could reach that level is tantalizing.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:41 PM
William H Bonney

I never saw or understood the Trouba will only be a defensive defenseman scouting reports. His offensive game continues to grow but he was a good offensive player as well with the NTDP and the offensive skills were obvious. Reading those scouting reports now make it seem like they were watching Steve Santini and not Jacob Trouba, or had never seen Trouba play at all.

I think he's of the same mold as a Shea Weber, Brent Seabrooke, or Rob Blake. It's going to be fun to watch him continue to advance his game as he's one of my favorite prospects by far.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Is there a YouTube with a collaboration of his highlights from this season? Everything I can find is all WJC stuff.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:13 PM
StronGeer
Butterfele

vCash: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Is there a YouTube with a collaboration of his highlights from this season? Everything I can find is all WJC stuff.
The only one you need to see;

BOOM

StronGeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:26 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post

BOOM
He's much better than this cheap shot.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:29 PM
CanadienShark

Could someone tell me more about him? Is he the sort of Brodin of the 2012 draft class, wherein he's a steady two-way partner who's mature beyond his years.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:32 PM
StronGeer
Butterfele

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
He is brings many things, but physical play is one of them. As shown on this clean hit on a guy with his head down, reaching for the puck at the blue line.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:34 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Could someone tell me more about him? Is he the sort of Brodin of the 2012 draft class, wherein he's a steady two-way partner who's mature beyond his years.
He's a smooth skating two way defender that loves to throw huge hits. Can make some bonehead plays defensively, but really not many young D don't. Huge point shot, and he loves hitting a one timer. He's a two way D with #1 Dman potential. He's really had an incredible year. Hopefully he signs and gets some AHL experience this year.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
what are the flaws in his game? From what ive seen/read he literally does everything well. Great skater, good IQ, can play both an offensive/defensive game, and can lay devastating hits, seems like the complete package to me.
In terms of flaws, I don't think there's anything that's atypical for most 19 year old defenders. From the ~dozen Michigan games I watched this year, Trouba roamed around a lot. Very eager to join the rush or make a big hit. He has the speed to make up for some bad reads, but there's a little bit of refinement to be had for the pros.

I didn't watch Jack Johnson as much at Michigan, but there seem to be some similarities. Dean Lombardi voiced concerns over the years that Johnson was very raw as a defender when he turned pro. In college, Johnson had free reign to do whatever he wanted which worked against lesser competition.

That said, Trouba is a beast. I was watching Michigan mostly to follow Devils' prospect Jon Merrill but Trouba stole the show almost every game.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Peter Tagli Eddie
All 3 of them?

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
You spelled legal hit wrong.

Peter Tagli Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:50 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tagli Eddie View Post
Legal hit.
Skates are on ice, glides into the hit, hits him right in the front of his body. Contact to head but it's incidental. I normally don't like people that say it but Keep your head up. He's looking at the puck at his feet and that's the only reason for head contact.

Last edited by JetsHomer: 03-26-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
StronGeer
Butterfele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Skates are on ice, glides into the hit, hits him right in the front of his body. Contact to head but it's incidental. I normally don't like people that say it but Keep you're head up. He's looking at the puck at his feet and that's the only reason for head contact.
The reach for the puck at the last second didn't help either.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
In terms of flaws, I don't think there's anything that's atypical for most 19 year old defenders. From the ~dozen Michigan games I watched this year, Trouba roamed around a lot. Very eager to join the rush or make a big hit. He has the speed to make up for some bad reads, but there's a little bit of refinement to be had for the pros.

I didn't watch Jack Johnson as much at Michigan, but there seem to be some similarities. Dean Lombardi voiced concerns over the years that Johnson was very raw as a defender when he turned pro. In college, Johnson had free reign to do whatever he wanted which worked against lesser competition.

That said, Trouba is a beast. I was watching Michigan mostly to follow Devils' prospect Jon Merrill but Trouba stole the show almost every game.
I had the same Jack Johnson concerns, but the WJC's helped alleviate a lot of that. He reined in a lot of his play and took less chances and showed more poise. So it leads me to believe that it is Berenson who gives him that free space to roam. Which could have been worrisome for his development except his defensive game was and is already more developed then Jack Johnson's was when he joined the Wolverines. Johnson was more known as being a phenomenal athlete and had to develop the defensive side of his game in the NHL. The added offensive freedom for Trouba has helped develop the part of his game that scouts where unsure of before he was drafted.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Small Brain Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post

BOOM
The amazing thing about that play is that the guy who got hit played the next day against Michigan and scored two goals.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:58 PM
umwoz

The Decision 2.0 - Jacob Trouba edition?

Haven't watched enough UMich games to make a conclusive opinion, but from what I've seen he could probably make the jump. Word is that the Jets will not be approaching him about it, just waiting to see what he decides.

Given the Jets are currently playing Derek Meech, I think they would be ecstatic to have him.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Sounds as if he's going pro. Going to have to root for the Jets now. Thanks for the amazing year, Jacob. Only wish the team wasn't such horse **** for most of the year.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 06:38 PM
feasey123

@EJHradek_NHL: Hearing that '12 9th overall pick Jacob Trouba will be leaving the U. of Michigan to turn pro with the Jets. IMO, he's ready.

feasey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 07:08 PM
JetsHomer

Wonder if he'll make the Jets or if he'll start playing with the Ice Caps.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:34 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Wonder if he'll make the Jets or if he'll start playing with the Ice Caps.
I bet they guaranteed him some NHL games (less than 6) this year to entice him to sign but not necessarily burn a year on his ELC.

04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I bet they guaranteed him some NHL games (less than 6) this year to entice him to sign but not necessarily burn a year on his ELC.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. 3-5 games down the stretch, then a black ace for playoffs if we make it. We have several UFA's this offseason (Hainsey, Clitsome, Meech) and RFA's maybe leaving (Kulda, Postma) so some games this year and a real chance, but not guaranteed, to play next year as well.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote