HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sykora waits on Slats

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2006, 04:22 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe426 View Post
Cullen is an offensive forward, but he has essentially played his entire career on the third lines. He most certainly could be bumped down to that spot in NY to make room for a new center.

That being said, even if it makes sense to trade for that 2nd line Center, I dont think it would involve Prucha. He has a pretty tight bond with Jagr, and I think it's pretty safe to say that Jagr's happiness level dictates, if not heavily influences, alot of the moves Sather makes.

Prucha can play center, and I'd like to see a Shanahan-Prucha-Sykora line. I'd wonder about their defensive zone play though - Sykora is lazy, Shanahan is getting old, and Prucha is undersized, and his play in the defensive zone is lacking.

I honestly believe that if Sykora was an option, the Rangers would have demonstrated at least some interest to keep him available while they took care of other things.

I've also said before: If the Rangers signed Sykora or another RW, Prucha being bumped to the third line would not be the worst thing as long as the second and third line got equal playing time. The Hurricanes won the cup last year with essentially three scoring lines. The Rangers lost last year because they only had one.

With the addition of Hall, however, Jason Ward would then have to be pushed to the fourth line.

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Shanahan - [Center] - Sykora
Prucha - Cullen** - Hall*
Hollweg - Betts - Ward***

Extra: Hossa, Ortmeyer

*Replaced by Hossa if injured
**Replaced by Immonen if injured
***Replaced by Ortmeyer if injured

Straka, Shanahan, have one year contracts. Nylander, if I'm not mistaken, has one year left on his contract. I say, sign Sykora for one more year, look for a 2nd line Center, as long as they dont throw away their valuable prospects and picks, and take a shot at the cup. Next year, we'll resume/finish what we started with the rebuild.
Makes sense to me. Dawes as LW spare. There is no UFA 2nd line C left besides Hrdina. I like him a lot, but he is a definition of softness. Could anything else be done?
Also given your assumption of equal 2nd and 3rd time-wise, I would flip Hall and Sykora to see if Hall could be more efficient.

Old
08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Larry Melnyk

What's clear form this thread are that the Rangers have alot of options in front of them, including moving people around from position to position, sliding players from line to line, and enough cap space and organizational depth (BTW, HOSSA' signing is OFFICIAL..) to either sign or trade for a RW or C..It's also clear that there are alot of opinions of what should be done and tnobody truly knows what will happening....I kinda like the flexibility, possibilities and competiveness that should be a hallmark of the camp....Just as long as there is NO SYKORA!!!

Old
08-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Fletch

Prucha's young..

and I think what made him successful last season, aside from his heart and drive, was his play from the left side. He's mostly a sniper (or at least his success at the NHL was mostly as a sniper). I'm not sure I'd want to change that, which is why I'd be willing to see him on a third line (not with Betts though), as opposed to the second line right wing (or center for that matter). Is it fair for him to go through what may be an uncomfortable adjustment at the NHL level? Heck, part of me is thinking Prucha on Jagr and Straka's left and Nylander centering the second line (I think SBoB may've suggested this some time ago too). Maybe he can turn into a playmaker (and with Shanny to his left, he'd have to), but I just see the left side as being his optimal position, and there are other center options for that second line that would likely be better.

Old
08-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Fletch

you may have to include Prucha in a deal for a second line center (one of a decent caliber at least). But, I keep finding it funny how Hall (4 ES goals, 16 ES assists) replaces Ward (8 ES goals, 7 ES assists). Similar ice time too. Ward hasn't lost his third line spot yet.

Old
08-07-2006, 04:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
If Prucha + is out of here it better be for Malkin

Prucha, Montoya, Rosival for Malkin

08-07-2006, 04:59 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I disagree...I think this team desperately needs another TOP 6 Center becuase Matt Cullen is not the answer..He's a 3rd liner that will be playing the 2nd line..And Nylander is gone after this year...Even if Dubinsky pans out as an offensive center, we surely need another one...Not saying we will trade for a C and I can live with Nylander-Cullen-Immo-Betts, but there are valid reasons for doing so even if a guy like Jarko Immonen is lost in the shuffle..

Hospo?? That's gotta be you..lol. Such vehement AntiCullenisms.

Old
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Can't see the Pens going for that.

08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
Hospo?? That's gotta be you..lol. Such vehement AntiCullenisms.
Not sure what you are talking about. , but I though I was being pretty nice to Cullen here...

Old
08-07-2006, 05:27 PM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Can't see the Pens going for that.
What if we threw in a signed Jagr jersey as well?

Old
08-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

as the rodent painfully knows, im all for bringing back sykora. id like our lines to look possibly like this:

Straka Nylander Jagr
Shanahan Cullen Prucha
Hall Ward Sykora
Hollwed Betts Orts

though, this configuration is quite appearling to me...

Straka Nylander Jagr
Prucha Cullen Sykora
Shanahan Hollweg Hall (pick your center here) (this particular configuration is what intrigues me)
Ward Betts Orts

Old
08-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Done. No questions asked.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Malkin-Cullen/Hall/etc...

Old
08-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Choice

Prucha, Immonen and Tyutin to San Jose for Marleau and Gorges

Old
08-07-2006, 06:23 PM
shoothepuck

Sather has many options to choose from, but trading Prucha now shouldn't be one of them. Let Sykora wait, and see whats around after arbitration.

Old
08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I could see that and I almost think that that is a distinct possibility of what could happen.

I get an eerie feeling that Prucha might not be in the team's long term plans. Nothing to back that up on, it's just a feeling...
I have that exact same feeling. I mean, when a kid comes in and has the type of season that Prucha had last year, you usually see the organization go out and make it a point to play the guy up. I just dont see the Rangers doing this with Petr, whether it be Renney's radio interviews or even through the beat writers, and the overall rhetoric coming out of MSG leaves me feeling that he just isnt in the long term plans of the organization.

Old
08-07-2006, 10:02 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I wouldn't trade Prucha, period. But I'm not GM. Otherwise I wouldn't bring Shanahan to squeeze Prucha out.
Okay, sorry. I mis-read your post. You were just suggesting a trade to acquire Afinogenov, not a trade of Prucha for Afinogenov.

Old
08-09-2006, 12:06 PM
J-Dawg

Time's ticking, the offer's on the table from Kevin Lowe, I really hope Slats makes an offer in the 11th hour to bring back our 2nd line RW...

Old
08-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg View Post
Time's ticking, the offer's on the table from Kevin Lowe, I really hope Slats makes an offer in the 11th hour to bring back our 2nd line RW...

eh, Rangers did pretty well without him last year...

Old
08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Can you please explain how he fits into the lineup and who the odd-man out is?

Old
08-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Entrancemperium

I for one want to have Prucha on the top line with Jagr and Nylander

I don't like the idea of two right sided shooters on the same line

Prucha - Nylander - Jagr
Shanahan - Cullen - Straka
Dawes - Ward/Immo - Hall/Ward
Hollweg - Betts - Ortmeyer

Prucha gets to stay on his natural side. Now that's what I'd like to see

Old
08-09-2006, 01:13 PM
J-Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Can you please explain how he fits into the lineup and who the odd-man out is?
You can re-read my previous posts in this thread (and a few others) and know my stance as far as Sykora is concerned (as I'm sure the majority wouldn't want me repeating previous posts). Who's the odd man out? I'm sorry but I guess Immonen (for now), and yes I know he's a center but Straka and/or Prucha can play Center too...

And for those who don't favor splitting up Straka/Jagr, how does this top 6 look like?

Prucha-Straka-Jagr (ALL CZECH LINE!)

Shanahan-Nylander-Sykora

Looks DAMN good to me, let's see what happens...

It's up to you Slats...

Old
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Who's the odd man out? I'm sorry but I guess Immonen (for now), and yes I know he's a center but Straka and/or Prucha can play Center too...
Several problems with this.
1. Prucha taking draws in the offensive zone hardly qualifies playing center.
2. While Straka can play center in a pinch, that is hardly his best position. Sure, he can fill in there for a while, but it makes little sense to play him there over the course of an entire season.
3. Since Immonen is looking like our 3rd line center, you would move either Straka and Prucha to center the 3rd line? You really see no issues with this? You would play one of two players out of position on the 3rd line, just so that Sykora can sign here? Why would Sykora playing on the 2nd line be better than Straka and Prucha playing on the top-2 lines?

Old
08-09-2006, 01:35 PM
J-Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Several problems with this.
1. Prucha taking draws in the offensive zone hardly qualifies playing center.
2. While Straka can play center in a pinch, that is hardly his best position. Sure, he can fill in there for a while, but it makes little sense to play him there over the course of an entire season.
3. Since Immonen is looking like our 3rd line center, you would move either Straka and Prucha to center the 3rd line? You really see no issues with this? You would play one of two players out of position on the 3rd line, just so that Sykora can sign here? Why would Sykora playing on the 2nd line be better than Straka and Prucha playing on the top-2 lines?
Cullen centers the 3rd line cause that's where he belongs.

(I guess you might not have read this entire thread but Prucha has played center and is listed as a center even on this site)

Straka wont last the whole season at center, but you wouldn't like to see the All-Czech line be the first on the ice October 5th?

Immonen should make the team, but even if for some chance he didn't, he'd still be up before December.

Sykora = Insurrance and a solid 2nd line RW

And maybe if they played him on the point on the PP, this wouldn't even be a discussion...

I'm sorry True Blue, as much as I'm a die-hard Ranger fan; I'm also a Sykora supporter and feel that he can still help us this up-coming season...

Old
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Edge

I think Sykora is going to be waiting a long time if he;s waiting on Slats.

The Rangers have a lot of options going into this season and Prucha, flat out, did a better job of scoring goals. There are currently 5 guys who fit an offensive plan better than Sykora at the moment and if there is a spot open for a rookie, that's also what needs to be done.

Old
08-11-2006, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Amid much speculation about Edmonton's interest in Sykora and spirited debate among fans about the merits of striking a pact with the seven-time 20-goal scorer, indications are talks between the Oilers and agent Ritch Winter have progressed to the point where the announcement of a deal, likely for one year, will come soon
Quote:
While Howson declined to elaborate on 'getting closer' and wouldn't discuss details, it's believed the 29-year-old Sykora, who split last season between Anaheim and the New York Rangers, is set to put his name to a one-year deal for something in the range of $3 million
http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Oi...44153-sun.html

Old
08-11-2006, 06:56 AM
gaglinefan

If Petr Sykora signs with any team for 3 million more power to him. We know what he brings: some scoring, absolutely Deadly in shoot outs, suspect defense and the Allan Houston award "I can score but whereth art me?" He may not fit with NYR, let him make his best deal. I can't see us signing him for anywhere near 3 million, imho not good for our team.

Closed Thread