HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Damnit Mayers!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2013, 10:15 AM
  #76
Ace Rothstein
Aces High
 
Ace Rothstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,045
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph0226 View Post
They should end up being the #2 seed, but yeah, a 1st round exit is very likely.
I don't know how you can say a 1st round exit is likely. It really depends on who they are matched up with though.

Ace Rothstein is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
  #77
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!
 
TorMenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph0226 View Post
They should end up being the #2 seed, but yeah, a 1st round exit is very likely.
I don't think anyone truly believes the Hawks are LIKELY to be bounced first round. Everyone believes it could happen though. For all those who say its likely, put your money where your mouth is.

Ill bet $200 the Hawks make it past the first Round. Nobody will take it because they don't necessarily think its likely that the Hawks get bounced, just that its a possibility.

TorMenT is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 10:33 AM
  #78
puterwiz53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
What I don't understand is why have the Hawks have let their defensive game go to hell in a hand basket. Even the forwards are playing very poorly defensively including Toews. The Hawks were badly outhustled last night and the forwards were always very slow to get back to their own end and this is after a 4 day rest.

puterwiz53 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 10:35 AM
  #79
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph0226 View Post
They should end up being the #2 seed, but yeah, a 1st round exit is very likely.

xX Hot Fuss is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 12:00 PM
  #80
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,950
vCash: 500
welcome back 2011/12 Crawford. Already missed you and wondered what happened to you.


Frolik really helped us getting him traded and accepted as piece in a potential Iggy trade

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
  #81
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,863
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
welcome back 2011/12 Crawford. Already missed you and wondered what happened to you.


Frolik really helped us getting him traded and accepted as piece in a potential Iggy trade
He's had a few rough games, no need to panic yet.

Speaking of which, in case you guys didn't get the pregame in Canada/overseas, Waite confirmed through the Hawks reporter that Crawford's issues last year were traced to him coming too far out of the net and late in the season, Waite realized that was why he was struggling and starting working with him to stay back again. That's mostly for you, HosstheBoss.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:50 PM
  #82
hockeydoug
Registered User
 
hockeydoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
He's had a few rough games, no need to panic yet.

Speaking of which, in case you guys didn't get the pregame in Canada/overseas, Waite confirmed through the Hawks reporter that Crawford's issues last year were traced to him coming too far out of the net and late in the season, Waite realized that was why he was struggling and starting working with him to stay back again. That's mostly for you, HosstheBoss.
If Crawford does fall apart, I might do something really bad to a major appliance if Waite still has a job with Chicago next fall.

hockeydoug is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:54 PM
  #83
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,863
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
If Crawford does fall apart, I might do something really bad to a major appliance if Waite still has a job with Chicago next fall.
Agreed, the whole ordeal last year was a ****ing joke. He better figure this **** out before it gets out of hand.

I wish we could bring in Tretiak for a few weeks down the stretch, to get a different set of eyes, a reliable set of eyes, to take a look at our goalies. I know Tretiak would be better suited to work with athletic goalies that he could push a bit more but nevertheless, I trust his coaching based on everything the guys we did have said about him and the way they performed.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
  #84
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,454
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I'll ask again since no one can give me an answer. Name one thing Mayers did wrong last night. He was sound positionally and threw his weight around. He's an extra forward.

The hive think on this board drives me insane.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
  #85
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Mostly agree, except for the last sentence. It will be better, fine I'm not so sure.
Come on, we jsut took the stanley cup champs, and 2nd best team in the league to the brink, and lost it on a bad play, and a ****** bounce. Hossa and Sharp would help us out big time.

Instead of having Frolik we have Hossa, instead of Hayes, Sharp, instead of Bollig, Frolik. That's a MAJOR improvement in so many ways, mainly defensively. Not to mention we can go back to rolling 4 lines again.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
  #86
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I'll ask again since no one can give me an answer. Name one thing Mayers did wrong last night. He was sound positionally and threw his weight around. He's an extra forward.

The hive think on this board drives me insane.
Dont you know that fourth liners and faceoffs lose championships?

brtriad is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:32 PM
  #87
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
He's had a few rough games, no need to panic yet.

Speaking of which, in case you guys didn't get the pregame in Canada/overseas, Waite confirmed through the Hawks reporter that Crawford's issues last year were traced to him coming too far out of the net and late in the season, Waite realized that was why he was struggling and starting working with him to stay back again. That's mostly for you, HosstheBoss.
Why is it for me? I posted numerous times that a problem with Crawford last year was that he was being too aggressive.. but he had to be, because the team kept ******** the bed in front of him. As I've said this year, he's able to relax more in the net and allow the team to take away passing lanes/clear rebounds - he didn't have that luxury last year.

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:34 PM
  #88
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,863
vCash: 10592
There wasn't any mention of the D. It was a tactical move that went wrong.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:39 PM
  #89
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I'll ask again since no one can give me an answer. Name one thing Mayers did wrong last night. He was sound positionally and threw his weight around. He's an extra forward.

The hive think on this board drives me insane.
He's just not a great PP option.

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:40 PM
  #90
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
There wasn't any mention of the D. It was a tactical move that went wrong.
Not by Waite, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the reason Crawford was being more aggressive.

What, you think Crawford just got away from the type of game that made him so successful in 2010-11 because he felt like it? It became a necessity.

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:48 PM
  #91
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!
 
SchruteFarms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Because Hawk fans gonna Hawk fan.


SchruteFarms is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 03:00 PM
  #92
JohnnyOduyasGirl27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belle Vernon, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Come on people don't say that the Hawks will get out of the 1st round of the playoffs come on now, don't get a head of yourselfs, i do see them being a playoff contender, i know they have been struggling the past 2 games, i would love to see Anaheim Ducks out of the 1st round of the playoffs.

JohnnyOduyasGirl27 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
  #93
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
He's had a few rough games, no need to panic yet.

Speaking of which, in case you guys didn't get the pregame in Canada/overseas, Waite confirmed through the Hawks reporter that Crawford's issues last year were traced to him coming too far out of the net and late in the season, Waite realized that was why he was struggling and starting working with him to stay back again. That's mostly for you, HosstheBoss.
I'm not sold on Crawford until he proves otherwise. I say that goaltending will hold us back winning the Cup.

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 05:10 PM
  #94
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOduyasGirl27 View Post
Come on people don't say that the Hawks will get out of the 1st round of the playoffs come on now, don't get a head of yourselfs, i do see them being a playoff contender, i know they have been struggling the past 2 games, i would love to see Anaheim Ducks out of the 1st round of the playoffs.
They're a playoff contender, there just not a Stanley Cup contender. It's up to Stan to shore up what he can by April 3rd and hope the planets align.

BobbyJet is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 05:11 PM
  #95
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOduyasGirl27 View Post
Come on people don't say that the Hawks will get out of the 1st round of the playoffs come on now, don't get a head of yourselfs, i do see them being a playoff contender, i know they have been struggling the past 2 games, i would love to see Anaheim Ducks out of the 1st round of the playoffs.
Anaheim is the most likely top team to bow out in the first round. They have been very lucky this year. Shooting at an unsustainable percentage while getting outplayed and outshot regularly.

Chris Hansen is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 05:22 PM
  #96
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
They're a playoff contender, there just not a Stanley Cup contender. It's up to Stan to shore up what he can by April 3rd and hope the planets align.
If Chicago's not a Stanley Cup contender, than no one in the league is. What a ridiculous statement.

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 05:25 PM
  #97
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Why is it for me? I posted numerous times that a problem with Crawford last year was that he was being too aggressive.. but he had to be, because the team kept ******** the bed in front of him. As I've said this year, he's able to relax more in the net and allow the team to take away passing lanes/clear rebounds - he didn't have that luxury last year.
Yes, and I believe it was you who said that CC is only as good as the team in front of him. And I agree. The team defense and possession game allowed us to sail through the first half and our goaltending has been decent for the most part. If Hawks can return there and add some grit to their game at crunch time (somehow, preferably by trade), we could win a round or 2 in the playoffs, and who knows how far we could go after that. However that's a big if. If Hawk fans expect Crawford to steal games if we play poorly on the defensive side, they are in for a disappointment. Emery did it early in the season, but that's regular season, and I doubt he gets a chance anyway.

BobbyJet is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 05:27 PM
  #98
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
If Chicago's not a Stanley Cup contender, than no one in the league is. What a ridiculous statement.
Only on paper sir!

The current roster is just not good enough, imo.

BobbyJet is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 05:29 PM
  #99
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Yes, and I believe it was you who said that CC is only as good as the team in front of him. And I agree. The team defense and possession game allowed us to sail through the first half and our goaltending has been decent for the most part. If Hawks can return there and add some grit to their game at crunch time (somehow, preferably by trade), we could win a round or 2 in the playoffs, and who knows how far we could go after that. However that's a big if. If Hawk fans expect Crawford to steal games if we play poorly on the defensive side, they are in for a disappointment. Emery did it early in the season, but that's regular season, and I doubt he gets a chance anyway.
To an extent that's what I've said. I conceded that Crawford had a bad season last year, but put 70% of the blame on the team infront of him.

Corey Crawford is an average goaltender. Behind a great team, he can be more than good enough to win. That's what I believe. It's honestly no different than Niemi's rookie season. Play a tight, effecient game infront of Crawford and he'll make the saves he's supposed to, and a few big ones. He'll give up bad goals, as Niemi did in the Cup run and as every goaltender does, but don't give the other team anymore than they earn; don't beat yourselfs by being lazy or by turning the puck over.

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 05:31 PM
  #100
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Only on paper sir!

The current roster is just not good enough, imo.
It goes far beyond paper. We're, what? 65% of the way through the season and Chicago sits atop the standings. They've taken the talent they have on paper and played extremely well (for the majority of the season) and it's resulted in them leading the league. It's not as if Chicago plays in a weak division or conference either.

If the best team in the NHL through 30 games isn't a Stanley Cup contender, than nobody is.

HockeySensible is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.