HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators making strong push for NCAA FA d-man Danny DeKeyser

Old
03-26-2013, 12:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Predators making strong push for NCAA FA d-man Danny DeKeyser

as discussed in another thread, Predators are considered one of about 4-5 "frontrunner" teams.

Don Meehan was in Nashville yesterday to meet with the Predators and Oilers, both of which are on the list.

Kevin Wilson reports that Trotz and the rest of Preds' brass made the trip up to Toronto to make their pitch.

It's expected that since all teams can only offer the same ELC, it's going to be perks\playing environment that woos DeKeyser. It's given that he wants a guaranteed roster spot in the NHL, which I think they're likely advertising that second pairing spot with Klein as his, if he wants it.

DeKeyser is a big, steady two-way defenseman in the vein of Dan Hamhuis, but a little bigger. Very good first pass, great hockey sense and stick. Can play on the PP, but his real value to us would be his stay at home skills.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:47 PM
NoNecksCurse

from all accounts ive read.. he is going to detroit. would love to have him!

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:54 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
Most of those accounts are based in Detroit.

I agree that they are probably the "front runner," but I think a guaranteed spot on the second pairing of a defenseman factory like Nashville...PP time with Shea Weber...is likely giving him pause.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
I've read the same, but I also saw a lot of the same regarding Suter. I think the opportunity to play with Klein on a regular basis would be pretty attractive. I just don't know how you promise him that spot over Bartley; Poile and Trotz seem like pretty honest brass on a relative basis and I can't see them flat out promising anything frankly. I think that's the right tact, but I could see a more desperate team practically putting "18 mins a night guaranteed" in the ELC contract.

To be clear, this kid could very well be a perfect #4 and well above Bartley; my comment was focused on the act of guaranteeing / promising anything, which he seems to be hunting for.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I've read the same, but I also saw a lot of the same regarding Suter. I think the opportunity to play with Klein on a regular basis would be pretty attractive. I just don't know how you promise him that spot over Bartley; Poile and Trotz seem like pretty honest brass on a relative basis and I can't see them flat out promising anything frankly. I think that's the right tact, but I could see a more desperate team practically putting "18 mins a night guaranteed" in the ELC contract.

To be clear, this kid could very well be a perfect #4 and well above Bartley; my comment was focused on the act of guaranteeing / promising anything, which he seems to be hunting for.
Depends on how badly you want him, I guess. Of the teams rumored, the only team that could really comfortably guarantee it is Edmonton, but they're also the weakest team on the list.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

it would be: (If you went L-R, L-R)

Josi-Weber
DeKeyser-Klein
Bartley-Blum.

Also puts Gill, Ellis, and Hannan on the trade block.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

Josi-Weber
DeKeyser-Klein
Bartley-Blum.

As I said on the trade board, I disagree. It leaves one spot in the roster for Bartley or Blum, and I think it likely means the end of JB's time as a Predator.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
As I said on the trade board, I disagree. It leaves one spot in the roster for Bartley or Blum, and I think it likely means the end of JB's time as a Predator.
OGIAAG, (God you need a new handle) If I had the power of the Preds I would do every thing to get DD then make this offer knowing it's fully insane.

SK+Blum+Ellis for one of Edmonton's top 4.

Over paying? Yup. But I look at it like this: I would be getting a top forward which I have a lower chance to draft. SK was Gagner's wing in Junior and Edmonton would get a pair of young defensemen they desperately need.

Also Ekholm has been having strong season in Milwaukee. Does he make Ellis replaceable?

Old
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:

Josi-Weber
DeKeyser-Klein
Bartley-Blum.

I think it's more likely Blum gets traded.

I see Ellis going if its for a high upgrade at forward.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
When will this be resolved? Can he play this year if he's signed by the deadline (4/3)? I'm late to the info train on this one, so apologies if that's a stupid question.

EDIT: Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 3h
Expect a decision from talented college UFA D Danny DeKeyser by Thursday or no later than Friday morning. Tons of interest.

Last edited by Cashville: 03-26-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Legionnaire11

This kid might not even be ready for the NHL, maybe ever. And teams are lining up to give him a spot on their 2nd pair during the stretch run?

If he somehow ends up signing with the Preds, I hope he's ready and proves to be worth the effort. If he ends up somewhere else, I hope that team looks foolish for putting some much stock into an unknown quantity.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:25 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
This kid might not even be ready for the NHL, maybe ever. And teams are lining up to give him a spot on their 2nd pair during the stretch run?

If he somehow ends up signing with the Preds, I hope he's ready and proves to be worth the effort. If he ends up somewhere else, I hope that team looks foolish for putting some much stock into an unknown quantity.
Which makes me raise an eyebrow because Trotz is pushing for him to sign.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
OGIAAG, (God you need a new handle) If I had the power of the Preds I would do every thing to get DD then make this offer knowing it's fully insane.
and bring back Business Cat!

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

reading some scouting reports on this kid.... really hope we get him! this could be the guy that 'replaces josi who replaced suter' as trotz said. come on poile! *fingers crossed*

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

keep it like dekeyser ?

Last edited by Joe T Choker: 03-26-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
As much as I would like to worry about Dekeyser busting if he signs with us. Poile is hardly ever wrong about defensemen. It looks like his worst choice in the first 2 rounds would be Roussel and that is just the draft. Actually getting a defense prospect and placing him in the pros means a lot for this organization.

Really he looks like a clone to Klein. But I see DD going to Detroit.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post

I've seen him quite a bit the last two years. He doesnt have a super high ceiling, he's not a first pairing defenseman, but he is a very safe bet to be a good number 4, and pretty quickly.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Byrddog

What a waste of time. A college player that went undrafted and now teams clammer to pick up scraps. Heck might as well send Trotz and the big guys to the old folks home Chelio's wants to make a comeback.

If this is an indication of the deadline intentions from the front office as fans were in for a longgggggg dry spell before the team gets better.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
What a waste of time. A college player that went undrafted and now teams clammer to pick up scraps. Heck might as well send Trotz and the big guys to the old folks home Chelio's wants to make a comeback.

If this is an indication of the deadline intentions from the front office as fans were in for a longgggggg dry spell before the team gets better.
A lot of teams, practically 30, are "wasting time" on this kid.

You can be cynical, but be intelligent about it.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
A lot of teams, practically 30, are "wasting time" on this kid.

You can be cynical, but be intelligent about it.
Well explain how he has been ubdrafted for a couple drafts. Also point out what college players have made a big splask in the NHL. And consider Wilson, Geffrion, Smith, and Watson. All high caliber college players None of which has had huge impact on this team. Wilson might someday but hes not there. Smith has been well... Smith at this point he can't knock Muller or Beck back to the AHL.

Picking up another project is senseless.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Well explain how he has been ubdrafted for a couple drafts. Also point out what college players have made a big splask in the NHL. And consider Wilson, Geffrion, Smith, and Watson. All high caliber college players None of which has had huge impact on this team. Wilson might someday but hes not there. Smith has been well... Smith at this point he can't knock Muller or Beck back to the AHL.

Picking up another project is senseless.
College players are often late bloomers. Chris Kunitz, Martin St Louis...to use a more recent example, Tyler Bozak...don't show their potential until they're juniors or seniors.

Good thing you weren't running the scouting department for Detroit in the 80s, when they signed an "undrafted, terrible" Adam Oates out of Bowling Green.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
thecloser

We can talk about undrafted rookies all day.

Look at Justin Schultz most recently. He was highly touted and practically every team wanted him and he chose Edmonton and immediately made an impact for them early on.

I don't know how he's been over the course of the season but all it means about DD is that he didn't get drafted, continued playing college, developed his game some more and grew in the game.

He could be great or he could be just ok, either way it doesn't hurt the Preds to try.

Plus it opens up trading options to better our top6. It'd be nice to get him, but I'm not holding my breath. If the kid has any sense he'll see what Weber and Suter became and can see how much better Josi has gotten in his second year....the list goes on...

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:22 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

A lot of you are also forgetting if we land him... We get a young good defenseman who can fill one of our needs with out giving anything up in a trade. Then that gives us more pieces to trade for a forward.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:22 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Wayne Gretzky was never drafted.

03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
We can talk about undrafted rookies all day.

Look at Justin Schultz most recently. He was highly touted and practically every team wanted him and he chose Edmonton and immediately made an impact for them early on.

I don't know how he's been over the course of the season but all it means about DD is that he didn't get drafted, continued playing college, developed his game some more and grew in the game.

He could be great or he could be just ok, either way it doesn't hurt the Preds to try.

Plus it opens up trading options to better our top6. It'd be nice to get him, but I'm not holding my breath. If the kid has any sense he'll see what Weber and Suter became and can see how much better Josi has gotten in his second year....the list goes on...
Schultz WAS drafted, by Anaheim, but pulled a lindros. Spoiled brat, wht's the purpose of the draft if you can just decide to go somewhere else.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote