HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

M. Richards, J. Carter trade in retrospect

Old
03-26-2013, 03:30 PM
nTsplnk*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
richards and carter were not going to win a cup here in philly being the core of the team. they went to LA where a core was already in place.
Again, Speculation. They were the closest to the Cup though. Giroux was riding shotgun that year.

Just because Richards and Carter weren't going to be the core doesn't mean you move both of them. Just don't make them core players anymore. Should've traded Briere.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:30 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibs View Post
So Flyers do that trade again knowing they would be without Pronger a couple year later?
Why not? On a pure hockey basis, Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds and Schenn is a great return for them. That's 4 quality pieces right there.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:31 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
tl;dr, criticize Philly for their goaltender situation over the past 10 years more than anything else, and it's not fair to look at what Richards and Carter accomplished on a different team in an entirely different situation
Why shouldn't we criticize a move that made Philly a possible lottery pick this year?

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Flyers just aren't as scary without Richards and Carter. I never saw them as a threat last season

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:34 PM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
I am a big fan of the Flyers and I acknowledge, and am proud of, the Kings multiple connections to their franchise. I think both fan bases have some biases and misguided opinions when looking back on the trades.
....good analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Again, Speculation. They were the closest to the Cup though. Giroux was riding shotgun that year.

Just because Richards and Carter weren't going to be the core doesn't mean you move both of them. Just don't make them core players anymore. Should've traded Briere.
right, trade our consistently highest scoring playoff performer.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:37 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I don't know how many times you and others are going to overlook this. The Flyers did NOT NEED DEFENSE when they traded Richards and Carter. They had a top 5 of Pronger, Timonen, Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros. Four of them which literally played 95% of the time when they went to the Stanley Cup in 2010.
Pronger played in only 50 games in 2011 with injuries ranging from back to knee to foot. You really didn't see a potential problem coming? It turned out to be from a completely different injury that sidelined him for good but it was obvious Pronger was breaking down. Timonen is also up there in age and he can't be a number 1 defensemen anymore. The rest of those defensemen are not top tier, only complimentary. Then you pack on the goaltending issue.

In 2010-2011, the Flyers scored 259 goals, tops in the league. Offense has never been the problem. However, the Flyers have always needed improvement on defense but they have almost completely ignored it by trying to outscore their opponent, which never works.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

The Flyers made smart moves, got younger, and essentially rebuilt in the fly. Pronger's injury killed pretty much everything. With a Pronger AND Timonen eating up a lot of minutes, that would have made Bryz's play much better. They seriously need another top paring physical D man.

03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Why shouldn't we criticize a move that made Philly a possible lottery pick this year?
Oh, you're talking about Homer's failure to get either Weber or Suter? And letting Carle walk? Ok then. I thought this thread was about the Richards and Carter trades.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Still too soon to tell. Also, people need to remember that Carter wasn't traded from the Flyers to the Kings. Some people seem to think the Flyers plopped them together in LA and they never looked back on the way to a Cup.

Either way, the debates on the Flyers board have stopped about why they were traded...because no one truly knows. The front office is never honest or forthcoming about their decisions, aside from the "we decided we couldn't win with those guys" Clarke threw out there, which seems like total BS.

I feel like the Flyers have won both trades, landing Voracek (leading scorer), Simmonds (3rd in points), Brayden Schenn who's certainly coming around (4th in points), an 8th round pick (Couturier), a 2nd round pick (traded for Grossmann), and a 3rd round pick (Nick Cousins)

Despite LA acquiring Carter and reaping a Stanley Cup, and the Flyers current spot in the standings, I feel like these moves set the Flyers up fairly well for many years to come, whereas I question the longevity of Mike Richards, as his style of play doesn't suit his body type well, and past injuries prove that.

I, as well as most Flyers fans didn't bat an eyelash when Carter was dealt, but were completely shocked when Richards was traded 30 mins later. But I'd do both trades again, no question.
I'm curious. Do you feel that carter's soft or doesn't come through in the playoffs or is it the whole off ice stuff? From what I've seen of carter is that he's FAST, has a great shot and can score goals. He didn't disappear in the playoffs. Maybe its because he's in a lesser role in LA.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I don't know how many times you and others are going to overlook this. The Flyers did NOT NEED DEFENSE when they traded Richards and Carter. They had a top 5 of Pronger, Timonen, Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros. Four of them which literally played 95% of the time when they went to the Stanley Cup in 2010.
Except for the fact that Pronger had 4 surgeries in 15 months and was over 35. Kimmo was breaking down and was also in his mid 30s, Coburn never met his potential and continues to regress (it's been posted many times on the Flyers' board), Carle has always been ridiculed by Flyer fans so that really leaves Mez. So, yeah, for a very short time they were fine but we all knew Pronger and Kimmo were being leaned on heavily and with them being as old as they were, it wasn't a good thing. If they were around 5-8 years younger this would have looked like a very strong defence but they weren't. Our GM should have taken that into account going forward but didn't. If he had looked at getting, say, Voynov instead of Simmonds, that would have been a smart move, but he didn't.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:49 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Except for the fact that Pronger had 4 surgeries in 15 months and was over 35. Kimmo was breaking down and was also in his mid 30s, Coburn never met his potential and continues to regress (it's been posted many times on the Flyers' board), Carle has always been ridiculed by Flyer fans so that really leaves Mez. So, yeah, for a very short time they were fine but we all knew Pronger and Kimmo were being leaned on heavily and with them being as old as they were, it wasn't a good thing. If they were around 5-8 years younger this would have looked like a very strong defence but they weren't. Our GM should have taken that into account going forward but didn't. If he had looked at getting, say, Voynov instead of Simmonds, that would have been a smart move, but he didn't.
And Phillies fans booed Mike Schmidt. But he's still the greatest 3rd baseman of all time.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
I'd do them again. If he continues playing like he is right now, Voracek alone is better than Carter. Couturier also has a really nice future imo and Nick Cousins is really good in the OHL, I think he'll play in the NHL eventually. This trade was a huge win from us. The Richards trade is less clear, but it still looks good : I love what Simmonds brings to the game, he's not as good as Richards, but he's a very nice player to have. Schenn still needs to improve his game, but he's what, 21? He has shown signs of greatness and could eventually be a Richards-type player, if not better. Only time will tell. The 2nd rounder also helped us to acquire Grossmann, who's a great part of our D.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:12 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
I am a big fan of the Flyers and I acknowledge, and am proud of, the Kings multiple connections to their franchise. I think both fan bases have some biases and misguided opinions when looking back on the trades. First and foremost being that everyone tends to look at both Richards and Carter as having been traded to the Kings directly. I know everyone understands Carter was traded to the Jackets, then the Kings, but that sort of veils what really happened. People see Richards and Carter traded away from Philly and then less than a calendar year later both lifting the Cup on the Kings. There was a lot that went on there in between. The Kings walked into a perfect situation with the Carter/Jackets debacle - an underperforming, reportedly disgruntled offensive star that had distinct ties to the Kings in Mike Richards, whose value was arguably much lower than it would have usually been, and having the assets (top pairing defenseman) that could get the trade done. If the Carter/Nash experiment in Columbus works out even marginally better than it did, Carter is still a Jacket right now and the Kings likely miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the first round. It was the perfect storm of a trade. People love to talk about "luck" on the Kings Cup run and point out all of these extraneous statistics, but fail to mention the only truly lucky aspect of the Kings in 11/12 - being in the right place at the right time to trade for a player like Jeff Carter.

One thing that everyone has to understand was that both Richards and Carter were walking into a perfect situation in LA at the time of their trades. Richards was joining a team that already had a bonafide top line center in Kopitar that shouldered most of the offensive and defensive responsibility. Richards had burdened himself with top line center duties in Philadelphia, as well as the captainship, and no longer had to carry those mantles in Los Angeles. He could simply play the same game he had always played, but with less media and coaching pressures.

At the time of the Carter trade, the Kings lacked a true, natural, goal scoring sniper. Carter didn't have to worry about being anything more than what he already was - a tremendously gifted offensive player with a hell of a shot. Literally, all the Kings wanted him to do was shoot the puck, a lot. At the time, the Kings were simply trying to make the playoffs - there were no Cup aspirations, no ultra-scrutiny from the media. They had a hell of a team on paper, as everyone saw, but had struggled to score goals all year, fired their coach mere weeks before, and were simply trying to put it all together. What they needed from and asked of Jeff Carter was to play the way he had always played - shoot the puck a lot and score some goals. But he, too, wasn't shouldered with any mantle of leadership nor even burdened with the lion's share of offensive or defensive responsibilities.

The number one thing people don't mention enough when talking about these trades is that the LA Kings were Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar's team, through and through. Both players wore letters, both players had been with the team since drafted, and both players shouldered the ups and downs of the team as a whole. They were counted on by management, similar to Carter and Richards in Philadelphia, to lead the team to success. During their Cup run, it wasn't Richards, or Carter, or anyone else to lead the team to victory - it was Brown and Kopitar. This has always been their team and their success will continue to depend upon how well they're playing. What better situation for already ultra-talented players like Richards and Carter to step into? They simply had to play their games and back up the true leaders of the team. Neither were playing these secondary roles in Philly, especially Richards.

With Philly, I really don't believe they made huge mistakes in trading Richards ad Carter. They felt that was the move they needed to make at the time and they got very, very good returns. I feel that Philly gets a bad rep from all this because you look at the success of the Kings versus the non-success of the Flyers since these trades and the Richards/Carter trades drastically stand out. However, where LA's success has had more to do with Kopitar/Brown taking their game to another level due to finally having the backup in players of Richards/Carter's caliber, Philly's non-success is more tied to the unexpected, career ending injures of Chris Pronger and going all-in on a goaltender like Bryzgalov.

I don't think that Philly screwed up at all by trading Richards and Carter because look at the returns. I also don't think they screwed up with Pronger because, again, how do you see that coming? I think the only move Philly deserves any criticism for is the Bryzgalov signing, which burdened the team with a huge, arguably untradeable cap hit and inconsistent net minding.

tl;dr, criticize Philly for their goaltender situation over the past 10 years more than anything else, and it's not fair to look at what Richards and Carter accomplished on a different team in an entirely different situation
This is pretty much the exact argument I always make but then I'm told that I'm wrong by Pens fans and that I don't know anything about hockey if I'm okay with trading Richards. Great post on your part.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I just think that the Flyers as an organization will never be satisfied with what they have. The team is simply impatient with their players. I don't think it's just the fans that get on players if they have an off year, but Ed Snider, the Al Davis of the NHL, is always meddling in team affairs (much like Al Davis did).

It was believed that the Flyers got younger and better with the moves they made last season, and yes, they did improve their team depth, but they followed that up with more questionable moves. The Bryzgalov contract being the biggest gaffe. But they also go back to getting rid of players that developed internally. They got rid of Bobrovsky and James van Riemsdyk over the offseason. Now there are rumors they may move Sean Couturier.

The process continues to repeat every season. This isn't anything new with that organization. I said it before and it has to be repeated: the Philadelphia Flyers are one of the least stable franchises in the NHL. Look at how unstable they have been behind the net and behind the bench with a laundry list of names. And that isn't even touching on the massive turnover on their roster that we've seen as well.

I'd liken the way the Flyers are run to a fantasy hockey GM who gets bored and wants to make moves just to change the makeup of his team and to acquire new shiny toys to play with.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:18 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I'd do them again. If he continues playing like he is right now, Voracek alone is better than Carter. Couturier also has a really nice future imo and Nick Cousins is really good in the OHL, I think he'll play in the NHL eventually. This trade was a huge win from us. The Richards trade is less clear, but it still looks good : I love what Simmonds brings to the game, he's not as good as Richards, but he's a very nice player to have. Schenn still needs to improve his game, but he's what, 21? He has shown signs of greatness and could eventually be a Richards-type player, if not better. Only time will tell. The 2nd rounder also helped us to acquire Grossmann, who's a great part of our D.
Oh, good. He could be a Richards type player. Trading Richards for Richards type players makes sense.

If the Flyers had traded Carter and Richards for some defensive depth or goaltending, at least that would've made sense to me. I still wouldn't have thought it was necessary but I would've agreed that this was a step in the right direction. Instead they got younger versions of what they already had. And yes, they all could turn out to be better, but how is that going to get the Flyers a cup?

Old
03-26-2013, 04:21 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Oh, good. He could be a Richards type player. Trading Richards for Richards type players makes sense.

If the Flyers had traded Carter and Richards for some defensive depth or goaltending, at least that would've made sense to me. I still wouldn't have thought it was necessary but I would've agreed that this was a step in the right direction. Instead they got younger versions of what they already had. And yes, they all could turn out to be better, but how is that going to get the Flyers a cup?
Yeah, because they traded for Schenn alone, right?

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:21 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I just think that the Flyers as an organization will never be satisfied with what they have. The team is simply impatient with their players. I don't think it's just the fans that get on players if they have an off year, but Ed Snider, the Al Davis of the NHL, is always meddling in team affairs (much like Al Davis did).

It was believed that the Flyers got younger and better with the moves they made last season, and yes, they did improve their team depth, but they followed that up with more questionable moves. The Bryzgalov contract being the biggest gaffe. But they also go back to getting rid of players that developed internally. They got rid of Bobrovsky and James van Riemsdyk over the offseason. Now there are rumors they may move Sean Couturier.

The process continues to repeat every season. This isn't anything new with that organization. I said it before and it has to be repeated: the Philadelphia Flyers are one of the least stable franchises in the NHL. Look at how unstable they have been behind the net and behind the bench with a laundry list of names. And that isn't even touching on the massive turnover on their roster that we've seen as well.

I'd liken the way the Flyers are run to a fantasy hockey GM who gets bored and wants to make moves just to change the makeup of his team and to acquire new shiny toys to play with.
Your post isn't 100% on point but also not incorrect. I think we're used to winning and always close but not close enough so it's "just one more piece" and things don't work out because the young guys are traded for older players before they pan out. Snider wants to win another Cup before he passes and I believe he had everything to do with getting Bryzgalov.

The only reason Couturier's name is being thrown around is because the Flyers have a chance to get McKinnon, Drouin, or Barkov, making Couturier expendable for a young potential number 1 defenseman. I love Couturier and would only give him up if it's the absolute right trade and the Flyers have a piece that can replace him.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:30 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Yeah, because they traded for Schenn alone, right?
You compared both Simmonds and Schenn to Richards. Hence I said that they traded Richards for Richards type players. And I still don't see how this core is any closer to the cup then the last core with Richards/Carter.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:36 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Richards is the type of player that will bring you a championship with his leadership, grit, play making and defensive play. Carter is the player that can make one line better no matter who he is with.

Schenn has potential to be a good player but currently he is more of a second/third line checking forward with scoring potential. Simmonds has been great on the Flyers and I see him more as a pp guy that can play on the second/third line. Voracek has been one of the Flyers best players this year and should be with Giroux for a long time. And lastly Couts, while he has been struggling offensively, he has the defensive game that can shut down the top forwards in the league.

Richards, Carter and Voracek are the current top players with Simmonds right behind them. Then Schenn and Couts have potential to turn into good players, they just have to break into their potential a little more each season. Keep in mind though that players like Simmonds are rare in this league which makes him very valuable to any team.

I call the trade even for L.A and Flyers winning the trade with Carter. I wanted the Flyers to get rid of Lavy instead of Richards/Carter back then but Homer got great value in return. The locker room was divided and something had to be done.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:39 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Richards is the type of player that will bring you a championship with his leadership, grit, play making and defensive play. Carter is the player that can make one line better no matter who he is with.

Schenn has potential to be a good player but currently he is more of a second/third line checking forward with scoring potential. Simmonds has been great on the Flyers and I see him more as a pp guy that can play on the second/third line. Voracek has been one of the Flyers best players this year and should be with Giroux for a long time. And lastly Couts, while he has been struggling offensively, he has the defensive game that can shut down the top forwards in the league.

Richards, Carter and Voracek are the current top players with Simmonds right behind them. Then Schenn and Couts have potential to turn into good players, they just have to break into their potential a little more each season. Keep in mind though that players like Simmonds are rare in this league which makes him very valuable to any team.

I call the trade even for L.A and Flyers winning the trade with Carter. I wanted the Flyers to get rid of Lavy instead of Richards/Carter back then but Homer got great value in return. The locker room was divided and something had to be done.
this sums it up very well.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:44 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
The problem I see is that a lot of Flyers fans are viewing the trade of Richards and trying to equate that to a loss of points and it being replaced by the players they got for him. Richards brings FAR more than points to the table and the Flyers are missing that while they rely on young players (Schenn and Couturier) who are nowhere near ready (if ever) to shoulder the type of play and leadership Richards brings. I understand the Carter trade, they wanted to bring-in a proven goalie, Carter had been injured an inconsistent in the playoffs, and he would bring back a nice return, but I'm of the opinion that you don't trade a player like Richards like that.
Giroux replaced Richards. Defence may not be up to quite the same standard but he makes up for it elsewhere. Giroux makes as many game-defining plays as Richards did, and I loved Richards.

Carter was a play-off phantom and a lower-seed bully though, no real loss. Voracek is better than him alone.

The Flyers replaced everything they lost with a little more on top.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:52 PM
ahthorne

Why did this become a 'trash Philly's defensemen' thread?

Flyers issues this year? Inexperience, bad 5v5 play, ****** systems, bad goaltending, awful transition game, an absurd amount of bad penalties. The defense is an issue but it's not THE issue, as much as people like to jump to that conclusion.

First off, Luke Schenn has probably been the Flyers best defenseman, which definitely shows the defense needs work but he really has been quite good this year. By no means is he a top-pairing defender or a #1 shutdown guy, but he's had:

a) the best Corsi relative to the quality of competition he's faced among Flyers defenders. 58th best in the league among defenders sandwiched in between Hamhuis and McDonagh.
b) taken only 7 minor penalties vs. Coburn and Timonen who have taken a combined 33.
c) only 18 giveaways, placing him outside the top-100 overall and barely in the top-60 among defenders. Coburn has 30.
d) Timonen and Schenn are the only defenders on the team (other than the horrible Foster) who aren't into the negatives for +/-.

Schenn isn't going to save the defense by itself, but he's proven to be a solid, solid complementary piece. Too bad our only other competent 'key' defender is Kimmo Timonen.
Timonen is getting old, slowing down in his own zone but is still solid two-way and moves the puck like he's 26. Could be an excellent #2 PMD on a good defense (see: Gonchar, Ottawa).
Braydon Coburn having the worst year I've ever seen him have. Just awful. If anybody should be hated on for under-performing it's Coburn.
Nicklas Grossmann is a great shot blocking, crease clearing, hard hitting defender but he belongs on the 3rd pairing on a great team. He's probably one of the worst players in the league at breaking the puck out and he's pretty slow.
Andrej Meszaros has only played 10 games and hasn't returned to his 2010-11 season self.
Bruno Gervais and Kurtis Foster are AWFUL. I honestly think the defense is easily summed up by saying Gervais is on it. That's not a top quality NHL defense even if you have Nick Lidstrom.
Erik Gustafsson is not really for the NHL, especially not on a bad team, but I think if he was used in a sheltered role and maybe played with Kimmo Timonen instead of being asked to play with Bruno Gervais he would be a lot better. He's shown flashes of solid play.
This is all not mentioning they lost their captain and #1 defender Chris Pronger. Age really didn't seem to be much of a factor as Flyers went 8-3-2 with Pronger in the line-up in 2011-12.

Pronger - Schenn
Timonen - Coburn
Grossmann - Meszaros

... would have been a lot better than what we have now, even though it's really expensive.

---

Moving onto the trades, I would have only traded Carter. Not that we didn't get good value for Richards, but it's so hard to replace the two-way, heart & soul play that he brought. Couturier is good and should be very good as a two-way player but the kid is only in his sophomore year and is being asked to play the role that Richards played without the offensive opportunities too and clearly has struggled to find his game, especially when the goalie lets in a goal every 10 shots. Simmonds and Voracek are studs and Brayden Schenn has shown flashes of what he's capable of (hint: heavy hitting and high scoring) but he too is still young, inexperienced and has a lot working against him. Danny Briere has been on Schenn+Simmonds line for a while and has really been a black hole on offense and is easily the worst defensive forward on the team, bringing that line down big time in both ends.

I honestly think this season, their misfortunes in a lot of their trades (ex/ Bob, Sharp, Eminger for a 1st) and the the injury to Pronger and the play of Bryzgalov is karma for their impatience. The team shipped their two home-grown stars in Richards and Carter in hopes to rejuvenate the squad, build around budding star Claude Giroux and actually sign a goaltender who could lead them to a cup instead of holding them back.
It blew up in their face. Not because of the value in the trades or the characters they got back or even who they traded, but they bet the house on a major shake-up and some major deals and anytime you make a big risk there's a chance it can blow up in your face. Flyers have taken way too many big risks lately. The Richards trade, Carter trade, Bryzgalov signing, Pronger trade, Briere signing, JVR trade, trading every 1st or 2nd round pick or player drafted by the team not named Giroux and Couturier (yet) on rentals or major shake-up moves while gunning for a Cup. I blame Ed Snider for this impatience, almost 40 years since the 70s and old Ed knows his time to see another Cup in Philly is running low.

Players on the current Flyers roster/on the cusp drafted by the team:
Gagne, drafted 1998, traded 2010 - reacquired 2013
Giroux, drafted 2006
Bourdon, drafted 2008 (plenty of injuries, not a bad player though)
Rinaldo, drafted 2008
Wellwood, drafted 2011 (fell off quite a bit)
McGinn, drafted 2010
Couturier, drafted 2011

... One player drafted before 2006 is a home-grown player but he was shipped off too only to be reacquired this season. I'm so sick of it. There are too many issues with this team as is and trading more players to fill more holes will only create more issues. No high-end defensive prospects, and other than their 2011 and 2012 drafts they have NO prospect depth, a goaltender who SUCKS signed for 7 more years for with a top-10 highest cap-hit among goalies, and any resources they could use (high picks, young forwards) to really fill their needs for a high-end defensemen is again taking another big risk and again trading their futures for a win-now player. Stop trading picks and draft and develop some players (defensemen!) of our own. Maybe a small swap to get a lower profile, higher-upside young defender who can play better hockey than Gervais but enough moving of key, core pieces. Pray for Seth Jones or Aaron Ekblad. Let's have some patience for once.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:15 PM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibs View Post
So Flyers do that trade again knowing they would be without Pronger a couple year later?
Honestly I've thought about this and I don't think Philly makes the trade.

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:18 PM
SMantzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
there were numerous wake up calls for these guys that management thought they would respond to. Richards was extended in 2007. its not like he was signed and traded the next month. Carter was moved more quickly after he was given his extension.

Have you ever made a decision and then thought to yourself, "maybe I shouldnt have done that?". the flyers THOUGHT that richards and carter were who they wanted to base the team around, and when things looked like they were getting worse, they cut ties as anyone in their right mind would have. they owe those players nothing. they are simply employees.

.... seriously how is this that hard for you to understand
I understand all right, but that doesn't make what they did any less ******. Those are two pretty big mistakes don't you think (three if you wanna count JVR). They went to the SCF finals the year before and made it to the second round the year they made those trades. It's not like Richards and Carter weren't producing. Richards gave you >60 pts and Selke D, while playing with Carcillo. Carter was still giving you over 30 goals and his playoff woes were mostly due to injury. And the whole, "not liking the direction of the team is hilarious". They gave Carter half a year to change. The Dry Island thing is funny too because these guys were producing. They're freaking adults

Edit- the Flyers are creating quite a history of mistreating their own. Remember the Lindros situation and Bobby Clarke's comments on Roger Nielson getting cancer?

Last edited by SMantzas: 03-26-2013 at 05:35 PM.
SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Why did they want to get younger? What was the point? Wouldn't the point be to get better? You know trade for players you actually need? Like defensemen and goaltending?

And LA wanted to win a cup? Shouldn't every team want this? Is there some sort of award for having the youngest and highest potential team in the league?
It's funny how everyone forgets that LA sucked for many years and stockpiled picks and prospects. Then let them grow...and grow. And then there were even rumours of DL getting fired because he would not pull the trigger or could not(Kovalchuk). Why is philly not not allowed to do te same thing. Also...in Philly's 1st year after the trade they had 106 points and made it to the final 8 all while getting younger. Maybe we should see if this year is just an anomoly and see how the 20-24 year old develop.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote