HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Roman Reigns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
thats fine but forget bryzgalov. how do you explain what you saw against pittsburgh? why are they able to get up for a game against certain teams but not others? is it the different styles clashing? and pittsburgh is more of an even match against what we do? do we just have a healthier hatred for them? or is it a coaching thing. i think its probably a coaching thing but if its not its crazy to watch and not know what your gonna see. and i know we lost that game but it was a level up in play regardless.
I think that has a lot to do with it. Not only the last game vs Pitt, but look at how they played against the Rangers in their first meeting of the season. They blocked a ton of shots, killed off that 5 on 3, and overall played a tight defensive game. Bryz even came up with a couple big saves. Maybe they only bring their ''A'' game when they're facing hated rivals.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
thats fine but forget bryzgalov. how do you explain what you saw against pittsburgh? why are they able to get up for a game against certain teams but not others? is it the different styles clashing? and pittsburgh is more of an even match against what we do? do we just have a healthier hatred for them? or is it a coaching thing. i think its probably a coaching thing but if its not its crazy to watch and not know what your gonna see. and i know we lost that game but it was a level up in play regardless.
They always get up for Pittsburgh games. I think that's a big part of why they executed some stuff better.

I think we have a coach not suited for the team as it's built. He's trying to coach something more restrained than he usually preaches and I don't know that he's comfortable doing it. Watching the Caps, they're increasingly making me think of the Flyers. They're no longer an all out attack team. They don't really have the players to do that anymore. However, their best players aren't suited for a defensive shell, either. They tried that and it really didn't "fit". Oates looks like he's found a nice in-between and it's starting to work for them. The Flyers probably need something similar. Maybe Lavi can work something out, but I don't know.

03-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post

"our D is good enough"
"our players are not suited to play tight D"
"Bryz has to step up to cover for the mistakes of the team"
"sure, BOS & NYR play tight D in front of Raask & Hank, but that's not what we should do [even though our goalie isn't nearly as good as those goalies]"

Ah, so you've reverted to your old trick of purposefully, willfully misunderstanding what people say to you.

1) The D IS good enough. Are they the best? Not at all. But, there are several teams which are definitely, noticeably worse than the Flyers on defense. The two biggest examples are TB and Edmonton. They're train wrecks defensively. Both of their goalies still have better save percentages than Bryzgalov. Both of them would undoubtedly be outperforming him here. So would Anderson, Rinne, Miller, Lundqvist, Bob, etc. Those guys have just flat out been better than Bryz. Especially Anderson, who's playing on a team who's D has been absolutely gutted by injuries, yet he hasn't dropped to Bryzesque levels.

2) Who said our players can't play tight D? They've shown several times over the year that, when they're focused, they can. What people have actually said, is our players aren't suited for a defensive shell-type system. It squanders the strengths of the roster instead of playing to them. It would hinder the team overall. You've failed to give any logical counterpoint to the reasons for this presented to you by posters.

3) Yeah, he sure as hell does. He bails his team out at a lower rate than most of the starting goalies I've watched nightly around the league. He has a LOT of bad games, or games where he is mediocre at best. That's not good, with his contract and cap hit.

4) Right, it isn't what we should do, for the reasons several people have given you. For the reasons you have yet to refute. You just ignore what people have said to you, apparently because it's inconvenient to your stance.

Here's a neat idea: How about you actually address the arguments people present, instead of twisting them to suit your needs and then scoffing at them in blanket statements?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-26-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
I think that has a lot to do with it. Not only the last game vs Pitt, but look at how they played against the Rangers in their first meeting of the season. They blocked a ton of shots, killed off that 5 on 3, and overall played a tight defensive game. Bryz even came up with a couple big saves. Maybe they only bring their ''A'' game when they're facing hated rivals.
correct.

i'll turn the tables on the "contract / cap hit" guys:

there's NO reason they can't play better D. they are NHL professional players, making LARGE amounts of money because they are the best of the best. they are getting paid millions to be complete NHL pros.

so, the Flyers just got stuck with 18 players who just "aren't suited to play good team D" ???

oh, poor us .......

but don't then blame the goalie, because he HAS shown that when the team plays sound team D [like most of the better teams in the league do] he has gotten the job done.

i can't think of more than 1-2? games this year where the Flyers played that solid Team D like they did vs PITT last game, where Bryz "blew it" by letting weak goals or "just going through the motions" .....

Old
03-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
correct.

i'll turn the tables on the "contract / cap hit" guys:

there's NO reason they can't play better D. they are NHL professional players, making LARGE amounts of money because they are the best of the best. they are getting paid millions to be complete NHL pros.

so, the Flyers just got stuck with 18 players who just "aren't suited to play good team D" ???

oh, poor us .......

but don't then blame the goalie, because he HAS shown that when the team plays sound team D [like most of the better teams in the league do] he has gotten the job done.

i can't think of more than 1-2? games this year where the Flyers played that solid Team D like they did vs PITT last game, where Bryz "blew it" by letting weak goals or "just going through the motions" .....
Ah, we're changing the subject now.

The D corps is paid to play good D. For the most part, they've delivered. The offense is paid to score goals. They've failed in that regard. The guys paid to play a shut down role among the forwards have actually done a decent job, but they can't play all game. And Bryzgalov is paid to keep the puck out of the net, which he hasn't done. He's only shown that if the entire team hangs back and sacrifices the remaining offense they're able to create, then he can do fine. Unfortunately, it just means they won't score any goals outside of the PP.

Oh, and I see you're still inventing phantom arguments made by nobody. Find one person who said Bryz blew the Pitt game. Go on, I'll wait.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Columbus is rallying along and winning games without Nash, Carter, etc.....They do not score many goals, but they play a nice tight game on both ends
every game ? must be nice.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
every game ? must be nice.
If you like watching your team get trapped in their own end for up to half a period at a time, then you'd like Columbus. When that happens to the Flyers it's a matter of time until the puck inevitably gets past Bryz. It's worked out for Columbus because when their defense does finally allow scoring chances in those situations, Bob has been good at stopping them of late. He's been good at consistently bailing out his team for impressive stretches of play.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
What do ya know. They give up a clean breakaway after just 30 seconds against the Rangers and Bryz makes a great save to bail them out.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
right. but ha. nobody's admitting that. thats why this thread is the funnest thread.
Agreed

Old
03-26-2013, 07:22 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
What do ya know. They give up a clean breakaway after just 30 seconds against the Rangers and Bryz makes a great save to bail them out.
And yet no commentary here.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Here's commentary: those saves have been far too rare compared to other goalies in the NHL, especially goalies in his pay grade

Edit: At this point he's going to be very hard pressed to make up for the last month of play. he really needs to be more consistent. For the second year in a row he's had a long stretch of lackluster play. It's not acceptable. I don't want a Fleury with less upside while hot.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-26-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
im sure we'll see: "thats what he gets paid to do"

a clever way of saying "no credit"

Old
03-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

don't believe me about the Flyers needing to play better D with the ROSTER THEY HAVE ??

ok, here's a former NHLer:

Quote:
Tocchet also believes that they need to change up their defensive approach if they are going to enjoy success down the stretch and into the postseason.

“I really believe that the Flyers have to play good, sound defensive hockey and wait for their breaks. I have not liked the way that they’ve played this year. I think that they’ve pressed the issue; there have been a lot of odd-man rushes against.

“I like the way that they played last game. I know they lost to Pittsburgh but they played a more responsible game. There is nothing wrong with trying to win a game 2-1. Against the Rangers they have to play a patient game. You’ve gotta be patient and hopefully your big guys score a couple of goals for you.”
http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/f...522615Tocchet:

Old
03-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
don't believe me about the Flyers needing to play better D with the ROSTER THEY HAVE ??

ok, here's a former NHLer:

http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/f...522615Tocchet:
They're playing better D, or trying too right now. Both last game, and in this Rangers game.

It has destroyed their ability to score at even strength. I don't know what you expect these guys to do, but they can't say "defense" three times while clicking their heels and magically become the 2010 Flyers.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Totally Radivojevic

You're right. Credit to Bryz for making a breakaway save before the season ended.

I liked the 2nd goal where he got beat over his glove from the point, then looked the other way to act like he had no idea where it was.

Don't get it twisted, the Flyers have sucked at getting the puck out of their own zone and they deserve to get ripped for that. But let's not act like Bryz is playing out of his mind.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Oh look, they're buzzing, within one goal, and Bryz immediately lets one in.

HE SUCKS.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:06 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If we got another goalie that has a lower cap hit, but still has the same results, that would make you guys happier?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Radivojevic View Post
Oh look, they're buzzing

the puck bounced off Jake's face ... great offensive buzzing

Old
03-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

just look at that defensive coverage .... tic tac toe slam dunk.

Hank wouldda had that 5th goal for sure, no need to tighten up defensively

Old
03-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If we got another goalie that has a lower cap hit, but still has the same results, that would make you guys happier?

Yes.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
the puck bounced off Jake's face ... great offensive buzzing
Hey, sometimes it takes lucky bounces to get goals.

You know, against good goalies.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Yep. The money could be used to strengthen the team elsewhere, and it's unlikely the replacement would be much worse.

Well, depending on if they make the replacement Boosh/Leighton.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yep. The money could be used to strengthen the team elsewhere, and it's unlikely the replacement would be much worse.

Well, depending on if they make the replacement Boosh/Leighton.
Considering almost all or all of the best UFAs this off season are signed or going to retire, who would we spend it on?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:52 PM
bennysflyers16

.839. 5.00 GAA.

But he stopped a break away. What more do you guys want ??

Old
03-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Considering almost all or all of the best UFAs this off season are signed or going to retire, who would we spend it on?
His replacement and then whoever they'll go after on D in this offseason or the next...because we know they probably will. Cap space opens up flexibility for trades, as well. Though Homer will probably do something kneejerk and stupid, so it's not impossible that we get rid of one kneejerk contract to add another.

Or it's just more space to use for the not-unlikely teardown that might come of this.

Closed Thread