HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Nicky Santoro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Volcan View Post
We can find the numbers on rds for all of Quebec here

http://www.bbm.ca/en/175-2012-13-que...eports-archive
hey thanks so much Grand. that was great because it tells u all the shows in french, and my GF is french canadian and watches these shows and she's always wanted to know what the ratings were for those shows and now i know. btw, habs on RDS get an avg of 800,000. So does this mean i divide 800,000 into 7 million quebecers and that would get 11.4 locally on RDS.. so would that mean MTL get 11.4?? which would be less than Pens.. WOW.

Thanks again, Grand.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You realize there are basically three teams in NYC, right? What would happen if there were three teams in Pittsburgh?
Two would go bankrupt because Pittsburgh has <2.5 million in the metro area and not 18.8 million.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
03-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Shwag33

Quote:
You realize there are basically three teams in NYC, right? What would happen if there were three teams in Pittsburgh?

3 teams, 10-20x the population, depending on the numbers you use. You do the math.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:30 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
that's for the whole country though. i am talking local rating.. i am pretty certain Toronto doesn't get 12.0+. Pittsburgh beats them for sure. I would love it if someone can find a local rating for just Toronto and Montreal, and of course any other canadian city would be a bonus.. then you'll see how amazing Pittsburgh is. BTW, i thought PIT loved their hockey??? they averaged 11.87, which is good.. but damn... the Steelers draw like 42.0.. ouch.. that makes the pens look like no one cares compared to the Steelers.

IU,

thanks.. i have no idea how you found that. i searched for days and could not find it. wow, 0.2?? it's actually not that bad. the amazing ana ducks are only drawing a little more than that, and the LA KINGS last yr were drawing also just a bit more than that. I thought LA GALAXY were dead in LA, but it's not far from Ducks, who are amazing this yr.

Grand,

No MTL numbers??. Can you find out what RDS gets???
So it looks like the Canadian teams do beat PIT but that doesn't make it any less impressive (TO: ~15.4, VAN: 19.4)

The Canadian numbers say viewers as opposed to households but for a rating % it works out the same thing as long as you use the overall population number. That being said, I used the metro population numbers for the calc. so these might change if say the whole province was factored into it.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:35 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:

IU,

thanks.. i have no idea how you found that. i searched for days and could not find it. wow, 0.2??
I work in the industry, have my ways

Old
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
3 teams, 10-20x the population, depending on the numbers you use. You do the math.
Right, so we adjust the "market size" according to the number of teams as a starting point.

Then take into consideration that NYC is not just an overgrown Pittsburgh. Over a third of the city is foreign-born. Among the native citizens, a huge proportion are second- or third-generation children of immigrants. A significant part of the population consists of students and businesspeople who live there on a temporary basis. Of the deep-rooted American population, a large number are originally from some other city.

Demographically, only a fraction of the city compares directly with the rooted local population of a Pittsburgh or similar city, and again that population's loyalties are split across three teams.

I'll grant you, the Pens probably still would have higher viewership if we adjusted for all these factors. But it's misleading to think of it in terms of outdrawing a market that's 20x larger, when probably 70% or more of that market aren't even on the Rangers' radar.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:52 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Whats the population of the NYC area compared to Pittsburgh?

at least 20M vs 2.5M?

Old
03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa View Post
So it looks like the Canadian teams do beat PIT but that doesn't make it any less impressive (TO: ~15.4, VAN: 19.4)

The Canadian numbers say viewers as opposed to households but for a rating % it works out the same thing as long as you use the overall population number. That being said, I used the metro population numbers for the calc. so these might change if say the whole province was factored into it.
What are the ratings then for the other 3 Canadian Teams as you missed Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary. I think those Edmonton numbers would be absolutely huge.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
Right, so we adjust the "market size" according to the number of teams as a starting point.

Then take into consideration that NYC is not just an overgrown Pittsburgh. Over a third of the city is foreign-born. Among the native citizens, a huge proportion are second- or third-generation children of immigrants. A significant part of the population consists of students and businesspeople who live there on a temporary basis. Of the deep-rooted American population, a large number are originally from some other city.

Demographically, only a fraction of the city compares directly with the rooted local population of a Pittsburgh or similar city, and again that population's loyalties are split across three teams.

I'll grant you, the Pens probably still would have higher viewership if we adjusted for all these factors. But it's misleading to think of it in terms of outdrawing a market that's 20x larger, when probably 70% or more of that market aren't even on the Rangers' radar.
Great post. I hate when people say how few viewers the Rangers get compared to the population. Most people here have absolutely no interest in watching hockey, no matter if the Rangers are good or not. If NYC was in Canada, that would be a different story. But the fact of the matter is that hockey as a sport isn't big in NYC. If Pittsburgh was a prime destination for people around the world, I doubt they would be getting the numbers they get.

In Pittsburgh, don't you have HS hockey? You don't have that in NYC. It's hard to get everyone to watch hockey if almost no one plays it. The only hockey fans here were pretty much told to be fans because of their parents. I never met anyone who decided to watch hockey just for the **** of it. I doubt it's a coincidence that most Ranger fans live in the suburbs, where there are HS hockey teams and much more rinks to play in.

And despite everything I just mentioned, they still have to compete against the Knicks and the upcoming Brooklyn Nets, while there are no basketball teams in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Kane One: 03-26-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 05:24 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
Whats the population of the NYC area compared to Pittsburgh?

at least 20M vs 2.5M?
See the post directly above yours.

Edit: Also, for perspective, the population of the 5 boroughs is about 8M. The 19M figure that keeps getting used is inclusive of parts of Connecticut (Bruins), New Jersey (Devils) and Pennsylvania (Flyers), and not an especially accurate way to think of the Rangers' fanbase.

I'd be curious to know how many people in the actual City are New Yorkers born and raised, and how many of those are 1st generation, 2nd generation, etc.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Most people here have absolutely no interest in watching hockey, no matter if the Rangers are good or not.
The NYR got a 16.2 local rating on MSG for gm 7 in 1994.. Highest rated MSG game ever. not even the NYK have ever come close to this in 20 yrs. The game was blacked out also by ESPN. So the NYR proved that they can get good ratings, even though there are 1/3rd immigrants. I have no idea how they pulled in a 16.2.

Also, despited 1/3rd immigrants who don't follow hockey in NY, each yr, the NYR always get very close in ratings to the knicks, and they've even beat them in some yrs... go figure..that's pretty impressive since NY has about 6-7 million immigrants who will watch basketball before they tune into hockey.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:21 PM
2mannings1cup

I've heard that Winnipeg is drawing in the 40-50 range pretty much every game. Can anyone confirm this?

Old
03-26-2013, 10:14 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
I've heard that Winnipeg is drawing in the 40-50 range pretty much every game. Can anyone confirm this?
Damn, that'd be cool to check out but I can only get ratings for American TV.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
The NYR got a 16.2 local rating on MSG for gm 7 in 1994.. Highest rated MSG game ever. not even the NYK have ever come close to this in 20 yrs. The game was blacked out also by ESPN. So the NYR proved that they can get good ratings, even though there are 1/3rd immigrants. I have no idea how they pulled in a 16.2.

Also, despited 1/3rd immigrants who don't follow hockey in NY, each yr, the NYR always get very close in ratings to the knicks, and they've even beat them in some yrs... go figure..that's pretty impressive since NY has about 6-7 million immigrants who will watch basketball before they tune into hockey.
First off, comparing a Game 7 in the SCF to how they generally do is ridiculous. Second, with the Knicks ratings, did the Rangers TV ratings actually change or is it more of the Knicks having the biggest bandwagon fan-base in all of sports? If you can, post those TV ratings you speak of.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:49 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
What are the ratings then for the other 3 Canadian Teams as you missed Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary. I think those Edmonton numbers would be absolutely huge.
I was lazy to look up the other Metro populations but here they are:
Edmonton: 22.9
Ottawa: 20.2
Calgary: 17.1

No numbers on Montreal or Winnipeg but the general idea is that hockey is quite popular in Canada as a whole.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:22 PM
ebox99

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/26/41...cal-tv-ratings

Save for the Colorado Avalanche, every National Hockey League team has something positive to say about their local TV ratings.

According to SportsBusiness Journal, 21 of the 22 American-based NHL franchises have posted ratings increases so far this season. The lockout-shortened season meant big games from the second the league dropped the puck on Jan. 19, and also an entirely conference-based schedule, which has meant more marquee games. It may not be sustainable, but for the season, I'm sure the league will take it.

The NHL's local ratings leader is once again the Pittsburgh Penguins, who have seemingly been at or near the top since the last lockout. The Penguins are averaging an enormous 11.8 rating in their market on Root Sports, which is up 55 percent from midseason last year. The Penguins are followed up by the Buffalo Sabres (10.1, up 17 percent), the Boston Bruins (6.9, up 47 percent), the Chicago Blackhawks (5.6, up 88 percent) and the St. Louis Blues (4.6, up 82 percent).

Market size can prove a little deceiving when it comes to ratings, since Buffalo and Pittsburgh are much smaller than, say, New York or Chicago. In terms of households watching, the undisputed leader is the Chicago Blackhawks. The Hawks have 198,000 households tuning in to each game, which is up 86 percent from last year. The Hawks are followed by Boston (165,000, up 47 percent), Pittsburgh (138,000, up 55 percent), the Rangers (133,000, up 125 percent) and Philadelphia (101,000, up six percent).

Similarly, four of the five lowest-rated teams (Los Angeles, Anaheim, NY Islanders, New Jersey) play in the two biggest markets in the country. It makes more sense to look at the teams with lowest viewership. Those would be Dallas (21,000 households, up 50 percent), Phoenix (17,000, 142 percent), Colorado (16,000, down 11 percent), Columbus (11,000, up 22 percent) and lastly, the Florida Panthers, who average just 4,000 households per game. That's up from last year, too.

The biggest ratings increased all came to teams in big markets. The New Jersey Devils led the way, with a 205 percent growth over last year. The New York Islanders went up 147 percent, Phoenix by 130 percent, the Rangers by 125 percent, and Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles by 110 percent. The teams with the biggest increases in households were Chicago (up 92,000), the Rangers (up 74,000), Boston (up 53,000), Pittsburgh (up 49,000) and Minnesota (up 33,000).

Then there's the Colorado Avalanche. The Avs were literally the only team to go down in any category and every category. They were down in ratings by 12 percent, and households by 22 percent and 2,000. The Avalanche were once a big flag bearer for this league out west, it's a shame that the team's fan base has gotten so apathetic. The rest of the league, however, has apparently joined the party and brought the league great success so far this season.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:37 PM
ebox99

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...o-red-sox-nesn

In Canada, Sportsnet holds regional broadcast rights to five of the country’s seven NHL clubs. Four of those teams have seen an increase in viewership through mid-March, according to BBM Canada: Toronto is averaging 860,200 (up 14 percent compared with last season), Edmonton’s average is 265,600 (up 35 percent), Ottawa is averaging 250,100 (up 29 percent) and Calgary’s 208,000 average marks an 8 percent increase. Vancouver has averaged 446,400 viewers on Sportsnet Pacific, down 2 percent from 2011-12.

SportsBusiness Journal analyzed the numbers of 22 U.S.-based clubs. Comparable data for Carolina, Montreal and Winnipeg was not available.

See article for charts

Old
03-28-2013, 03:47 PM
JohnLennon

Greg McIsaac ‏@TSN_PR 1h
An average audience of 1.6 million viewers watched last night's @CanadiensMTL - @NHLBruins game on #TSN and #RDS

Old
03-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Nicky Santoro

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, March 28th, 2013
Montreal Canadiens-Boston Bruins “Wednesday Night Rivalry” Ratings

Last night’s Wednesday Night Rivalry game on NBC Sports Network (7:30-10:39 p.m. ET), in which the Montreal Canadiens defeated the Boston Bruins, 6-5, in a shootout, posted a 0.48 HH rating and 773,000 viewers.

The game is the sixth-most watched regular-season game in network history and up 133% vs. last year’s full season average on NBC Sports Network. It peaked with more than one million viewers (1.005 million) from 9:45-10 p.m. ET.

The three Canadiens-Bruins games that have aired on NBC Sports Network this year are the three most-watched games on cable featuring a Canadian team since 2000 (Dec. 27, Tor-Pit, 1.046 on ESPN2).

Mar. 3 813,000
Mar. 27 773,000
Feb. 26 771,000

In Boston, the game received an 8.51 HH rating, making it the second-highest rated regular-season Bruins game ever on NBC Sports Network, behind only the Mar. 3 game against the Canadiens (9.26).

NBC Sports Network was the No. 1 rated network overall in Boston during the 7:30-10:45 p.m. ET time period.

–NBC Sports Group–

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...valry-ratings/

Old
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, March 28th, 2013
Montreal Canadiens-Boston Bruins “Wednesday Night Rivalry” Ratings

Last night’s Wednesday Night Rivalry game on NBC Sports Network (7:30-10:39 p.m. ET), in which the Montreal Canadiens defeated the Boston Bruins, 6-5, in a shootout, posted a 0.48 HH rating and 773,000 viewers.

The game is the sixth-most watched regular-season game in network history and up 133% vs. last year’s full season average on NBC Sports Network. It peaked with more than one million viewers (1.005 million) from 9:45-10 p.m. ET.

The three Canadiens-Bruins games that have aired on NBC Sports Network this year are the three most-watched games on cable featuring a Canadian team since 2000 (Dec. 27, Tor-Pit, 1.046 on ESPN2).

Mar. 3 813,000
Mar. 27 773,000
Feb. 26 771,000

In Boston, the game received an 8.51 HH rating, making it the second-highest rated regular-season Bruins game ever on NBC Sports Network, behind only the Mar. 3 game against the Canadiens (9.26).

NBC Sports Network was the No. 1 rated network overall in Boston during the 7:30-10:45 p.m. ET time period.

–NBC Sports Group–

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...valry-ratings/

Old
03-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Azkals

The Penguins’ 11.87 local rating is the highest RSN rating for any team in any sport since the Boston Red Sox averaged a 12.2 rating on NESN during its 2007 World Series winning run.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:16 PM
TwistedWrister90

But Americans don't like hockey derp derp derp

Old
03-29-2013, 06:18 PM
2mannings1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
The Penguins’ 11.87 local rating is the highest RSN rating for any team in any sport since the Boston Red Sox averaged a 12.2 rating on NESN during its 2007 World Series winning run.
Wow I knew the Red Sox were extremely popular, but a 12.2 is an insane number!

Old
03-31-2013, 12:55 AM
Nicky Santoro

could we be in for the all time NBC record on SUN?? CHI/DET play SUN and as it stands, CHI/DET game 1.5 months ago set a record.. however, the diff is that on SUN, there will be absolutely nothing on at same time. no nba, no ncaab either, till 3rd period. last time it broke the record, there were tons of ncaab games and a heat/nyk game featuring lebron.

I think the rating will come close to it and maybe even break it. 2 great teams and it's Easter Sunday and everyone will be indoors with their families. And it's a big old time rivalry game.

Can't wait to see the result.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:32 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
could we be in for the all time NBC record on SUN?? CHI/DET play SUN and as it stands, CHI/DET game 1.5 months ago set a record.. however, the diff is that on SUN, there will be absolutely nothing on at same time. no nba, no ncaab either, till 3rd period. last time it broke the record, there were tons of ncaab games and a heat/nyk game featuring lebron.

I think the rating will come close to it and maybe even break it. 2 great teams and it's Easter Sunday and everyone will be indoors with their families. And it's a big old time rivalry game.

Can't wait to see the result.
Lol, no. Just no.

Blackhawks were riding a massive points streak. That's why it got the bump.

Closed Thread