HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sullivan: Sabres' Myers leaves you wanting more

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2013, 01:18 PM
  #26
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Does anyone think Myers problem is between his ears?

Not psychologically.. Like he's just not really bright?

When he talks he sounds a little thick.

Maybe they need to really simplify the game to him.
I don't call him big bird for nothing.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:33 PM
  #27
sabresandcanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
That could be.... But I'm saying that in conjunction with his on I've decision making.
I also say stupid things on certain message boards...but that is another story.

I think his poor decision making is a result of him over thinking every little detail of the game. He needs to simplify and trust his instincts more. That is what made him so successful early on...He was care free, the expectations were not there for him to be a number 1 D man.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:10 PM
  #28
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 10,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Does anyone think Myers problem is between his ears?

Not psychologically.. Like he's just not really bright?

When he talks he sounds a little thick.

Maybe they need to really simplify the game to him.
I think on the contrary to most CHL players Myers is a fairly street smart guy. He may not be the most book smart person but he's been living on his own since he was 15 and if IIRC he's been supporting himself and his girlfriend since he was 16. He's a pretty grounded person from what people have said about him, he's not out of touch with reality like many players who come out of the CHL are.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
  #29
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,679
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Agreed,

I have a buddy I work with who lives in Kelowna and actually golfs with Myers, Schenn and company in the summer as that is where they spend a lot of their offseason. He said Myers personality is that of the gentle giant, he is a quiet, polite and rarely says anything inappropriate. Now that could be because he knows it could be posted on the web instantly should he have a melt down, but watching him play seems to mirror those personality traits.

The pressure on him due to his previous success and the large contract he signed has been too much for him to handle. It's great that Rolston is asking him to keep it simple. He needs to focus on the basics and build out from there. If he doesn't score 10 goals a season the next two years that is fine. If, at 25, he is still struggling then I think we can safely say it is something he just cannot mentally overcome. I am willing to bet that he will eventually snap out of his funk as he matures.
The team dubbed him "The Big Easy" due to his laid back personality a few seasons ago. Seems to fit.

Yes, Myers has not been good. Yes, he's been better and is trending slowly upward. And it doesn't seem out of the realm of typical sports psychobabble for him to not be dwelling on being stink-o early in the season and instead is focusing on what he's done lately.

I also find it a bit amuzing that he's talking about focusing on his d-play and yet in the last few weeks, he's been up the ice with authority a few more times than he was earlier in the year. Perhaps he's getting back to playing, using his instincts rather than over-thinking every little thing.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:24 PM
  #30
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The team dubbed him "The Big Easy" due to his laid back personality a few seasons ago. Seems to fit.

Yes, Myers has not been good. Yes, he's been better and is trending slowly upward. And it doesn't seem out of the realm of typical sports psychobabble for him to not be dwelling on being stink-o early in the season and instead is focusing on what he's done lately.

I also find it a bit amuzing that he's talking about focusing on his d-play and yet in the last few weeks, he's been up the ice with authority a few more times than he was earlier in the year. Perhaps he's getting back to playing, using his instincts rather than over-thinking every little thing.
Well, to be fair, a big problem in his D play this year has been giveaways in the zone. By just skating the puck up the ice himself, he eliminates a lot of his passing problems. While doing one of the things that made him a huge success his rookie year. A 6'8" defenseman that can lead a rush is a heckuva thing to have.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:26 PM
  #31
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,627
vCash: 500
Thumbing through the Richards/Carter trade thread on the mainboard, somebody made an interesting point about Schenn dropping weight since joining the Flyers and playing much better.

There've been quotes about Myers "playing himself into shape" like every season since his rookie year after various stories about him putting on weight in those offseasons. I'm willing to stake my internet rep that there's more than just correlation at play here.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:30 PM
  #32
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Thumbing through the Richards/Carter trade thread on the mainboard, somebody made an interesting point about Schenn dropping weight since joining the Flyers and playing much better.

There've been quotes about Myers "playing himself into shape" like every season since his rookie year after various stories about him putting on weight in those offseasons. I'm willing to stake my internet rep that there's more than just correlation at play here.
His movement up the ice in the past couples weeks has been MUCH better than in the beginning of the season, so I wouldn't doubt it's a factor.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:53 PM
  #33
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful
 
RazielMoshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kent, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Sully is a moron. I'm not even going to dignify that idiot by reading the article.

Myers isn't a good speaker and has suffered from being expected to carry the defense for 3 seasons. Ruff didn't realise that so Myers development will have to start again under Rolston.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:05 PM
  #34
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
His movement up the ice in the past couples weeks has been MUCH better than in the beginning of the season, so I wouldn't doubt it's a factor.
He also had that ankle injury in Europe that may have been affecting his skating earlier in the season. Who knows? He does seem to get off to a slow start every year though, so it wouldn't surprise me if something's off with his off-season conditioning.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:10 PM
  #35
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,474
vCash: 500
Poor Tyler Myers is gonna suffer from Mike Green media syndrome.

Green can play like a #2, do everything right defensively but until he puts up points, the consensus from anyone other than Caps fans will be that he sucks.

I'd say the same for Tyler Myers. Someone ruined his offensive development and he doesn't look like he's putting up 48 pts though he easily has the potential to. He's shown flashes of great defence though it hasn't been consistent but even when it is, he gets criticized. He needs to be better for sure considering the salary but he'll get a lot of strife due to not putting up those offensive numbers.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:16 PM
  #36
AirBriere48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Thumbing through the Richards/Carter trade thread on the mainboard, somebody made an interesting point about Schenn dropping weight since joining the Flyers and playing much better.

There've been quotes about Myers "playing himself into shape" like every season since his rookie year after various stories about him putting on weight in those offseasons. I'm willing to stake my internet rep that there's more than just correlation at play here.
I remember an article from the beginning of this year saying that Ruff wanted Myers to bulk up a bit, and that Myers was working hard at it in off season workouts, but still struggling a bit due to his lanky frame. It's certainly possible that the weight he put on was a net negative - slowing him down and not adding much in the physicality department. Maybe he was at his ideal weight his rookie year. Maybe he's still growing into his body. In any event, I'd like to see him with a different strength/conditioning program this summer.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:42 PM
  #37
French Connection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBriere48 View Post
I remember an article from the beginning of this year saying that Ruff wanted Myers to bulk up a bit, and that Myers was working hard at it in off season workouts, but still struggling a bit due to his lanky frame. It's certainly possible that the weight he put on was a net negative - slowing him down and not adding much in the physically department. Maybe he was at his ideal weight his rookie year. Maybe he's still growing into his body. In any event, I'd like to see him with a different strength/conditioning program this summer.
It doesn't matter what weight he plays at due to his mental make up. If a given player just doesn't have the characteristics of being mean like Pronger or Chara they will never be. Myers is such one player who is to big and just to soft and this will never change. So being 6.8 has zero physical advantage.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:58 PM
  #38
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelCalavera View Post
The kid is fragile, as are a lot of players at his age. The nice thing about Rolston is that his experience base is with coaching kids - the hard-ass mind **** of Ruff fails with the new generation of players.

Let Myers do what he has to to get his confidence back. Teach him to read and react, and let him flourish into what we saw a few years ago.

Why are kids so fragile? You'ed think a lifetime of early practices and living away from home and driving across the country for tournaments would have put some hair on thier chests.

Or maybe just the mentally weak players are fragile, and they are never going to be that good anyway?

Karate Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
  #39
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,627
vCash: 500
So why wasn't he fragile in his rookie year? Just shut up with the same garbage in every thread.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
  #40
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,514
vCash: 500
Sullivan, TBN sports reporter leaves you wanting more ...

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:06 PM
  #41
AirBriere48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
It doesn't matter what weight he plays at due to his mental make up. If a given player just doesn't have the characteristics of being mean like Pronger or Chara they will never be. Myers is such one player who is to big and just to soft and this will never change. So being 6.8 has zero physical advantage.
Well, considering many are speculating that he is/was out of shape, weight has very much to do with it. This growing contingent of Sabres fans who are convinced that Myers is doomed to 3rd pairing irrelevancy for the remainder of his career is bizarre. He's young. He's figuring his **** out.

On the conditioning point - put him through Gary Roberts' program this summer. If he comes back next year with another year like the first half of this one, then we'll talk about his mental make up.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.