HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Luongo for Grabovski

Old
03-26-2013, 03:52 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I think the problems start right now. Schnieder looks to have taken clear control; and i think Gillis will ride him as a pure #1 from here on in. So now....what to do with Luongo?
Ugh.... The entire season, AV has stated. There are two good goalies and they'll use them both.

And if you look at the starts, each guy gets a handful... 3-5 games, then they switch. That's it.

There's no number one. He's splitting the season. Expect Lu in within 3 games.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:53 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
The sooner Nuck fans realize the Leafs dont want anything to do with that contract, the easier it will be to swallow that pill. move on, and enjoy Lou in Vancouver for many many years to come.
Sigh.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
If it meant keeping Kadri, what do you think? (If he was ever offered in the first place, which I doubt). But in a way you almost get the point: Luongo as a short term solution doesn't help us unless the price is right--that's why Grabo and Scrivens is as high as most of us Leaf fans would be willing to go. If that's not enough, fine with me.
I think the reality is, it's fine with both of us. Of the teams that didn't trade for Luongo I think Tampa is the team that screwed up the most (trading two 2nds and a 3rd for a backup goalie...how much more would Luongo have cost?) and potentially Winnipeg and Philly. Otherwise, it's mostly worked out all-round. I think a lot of people fail to realize that it's worked out for the Canucks as well.

The Canucks can't take on Grabo at $5.5M. There is simply no room for him based on what the Canucks need to accomplish salary wise for next year...they need a UFA centre like Roy (and I don't mean for Luongo).

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:44 AM
kihei

vCash: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Otherwise, it's mostly worked out all-round. I think a lot of people fail to realize that it's worked out for the Canucks as well.
Though, from my distant perspective, in a funny sort of way. At the moment, Schneider looks like the highly talented emerging star and Luongo like the competent but no longer consistent back up? On one level, that's great news for you guys indeed, but I doubt it does anything but drop Roberto's trade value even further than it is now (unless Luongo heats up despite diminishing opportunity). Still, to be able to audition Cory with a safety net (Luongo) was good fortune. Schneider's skillful presence certainly may help take the sting out of the diminishing returns that you might eventually have to accept for Luongo.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Ugh.... The entire season, AV has stated. There are two good goalies and they'll use them both.

And if you look at the starts, each guy gets a handful... 3-5 games, then they switch. That's it.

There's no number one. He's splitting the season. Expect Lu in within 3 games.
Not trying to create a false issue here. In my opinion, with the way Schnieder has been playing of late, AV would be nuts to split starts. Schnieder looks like the clear #1 and i'd ride him as such.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Nuck5Strangler

As has probably been said many times, we can't afford a 3rd line c making 5,5 for 4 more years after this season. That's 500k more than Kesler, I pray it won't happen, we'll be screwed next year.

Nuck5Strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Voodoo logic.

Are you actually suggesting that Luongo has had a better year than Reimer? If you want to talk about current, okay, let's talk current.

GAA

Luongo 2.47
Reimer 2.64

Advantage Luongo

Save %

Luongo .904
Reimer .918

Advantage Reimer

W/L/OTl

Luongo 7-4-3
Reimer 11-4-4

Advantage Reimer

Team improvement in the standings over last year

Vancouver -3
Toronto +7

Advantage Reimer

Defensive Support

Luongo, with the lower save %, plays in front of a top four defense that includes Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa and Garrison

Reimer, with the higher save %, plays in front of a top four defense that before last week included Phaneuf, Holzer, Gunnarsson, and Kostka

More impressive performance: Reimer

Forget Grabovski. Why would we trade our goaltender straight up for your goaltended, especially when one figures in the difference in age and the horrible contract?

Luongo was an elite goaltender. He isn't that anymore. Currently he is

18 th in GAA
32 nd (tie) in wins
28 th (tie) in save %

You can say what you want about the past, and I'd probably agree with much of it. But this year, based on actual play, Roberto is not one of the top ten goalies in the league, much less elite.
LOL.

Chris Kunitz is having a better year than everyone in the league except Crosby and Stamkos. So is he better than everyone else in the league aswell?

Troy Brouwer has more goals, and a better +/- in less games than Phil Kessel. Is Brouwer better than Kessel?

Re-read what I said.

"Luongo is better than any of your current options." In the form of a question:

Who is the better goalie. James Riemer or Roberto Luongo. Throw contracts and everything aside. If you are choosing 1 goalie of the 2. Who are you choosing?

Nothing against Riemer. But the choice is obvious. And yes Lu is still elite.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Okay that's fine I just meant his stats aren't where they usually are at this point. I didn't mean he's doing horrible.

He's a better goalie than Reimer at this point but I just don't see the purpose of trading for Luongo and giving him the starting job instead of getting a cheaper vet backup to support Reimer since he's been pretty decent this year. It would make a lot more sense for the Leafs to go with the young growing goalie because of where the team is at. My opinion of course.
Yeah that's fair.

And your entitled to your opinion.

Honestly, I don't think bringing in a vet that you are reffering to, say someone like Clemmensen or whoever. Would really benefit you much. They don't have experience carrying teams, and I think Scrivens is a better backup option that the ones that would be available.

If you want a veteran that can be relied on and has experience. Your choices at this point are Luongo and then maybe Miller or Kiprusoff. I would say Lu is the best of the 3. And as for a price point. I think Miller would cost the most, then either Kipper or Lu. As for those two. I think it all depends on how Calgary feels, if they decide to go full re-build then maybe Kipper comes cheaper, although currently I think personally Lu would come cheaper.

Your entitled to your opinion though, so more power to you.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
If you want a veteran that can be relied on and has experience. Your choices at this point are Luongo and then maybe Miller or Kiprusoff. I would say Lu is the best of the 3.
Cross Kipper off that list.

https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/316682907127255040
Quote:
Sources saying Kiprusoff has told the #Flames management if they trade his rights he will not report sighting family reasons. #TradeTracker
*it should be noted that Kypreos doesn't know how to spell "citing"

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Voodoo logic.

Are you actually suggesting that Luongo has had a better year than Reimer?
Luongo was an elite goaltender. He isn't that anymore. Currently he is

18 th in GAA
32 nd (tie) in wins
28 th (tie) in save %

You can say what you want about the past, and I'd probably agree with much of it. But this year, based on actual play, Roberto is not one of the top ten goalies in the league, much less elite.
Or you know... Ummm... Sample size...
(Interesting note, 1 game this season has a .015 impact on his save %)

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Spazmatic Dan
Leaf Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Yeah that's fair.

And your entitled to your opinion.

Honestly, I don't think bringing in a vet that you are reffering to, say someone like Clemmensen or whoever. Would really benefit you much. They don't have experience carrying teams, and I think Scrivens is a better backup option that the ones that would be available.

If you want a veteran that can be relied on and has experience. Your choices at this point are Luongo and then maybe Miller or Kiprusoff. I would say Lu is the best of the 3. And as for a price point. I think Miller would cost the most, then either Kipper or Lu. As for those two. I think it all depends on how Calgary feels, if they decide to go full re-build then maybe Kipper comes cheaper, although currently I think personally Lu would come cheaper.

Your entitled to your opinion though, so more power to you.
Its a valid point but if the Leafs were to get any of those goalies, they would become the starter (except maybe Kiprusoff this year but apparently he doesn't want to be traded anyway). If its Miller or Luongo, they will likely be the starter for a long time. I don't think the Leafs are looking to replace Reimer so much as support him because he is likely looked on as the goalie of the future. An experienced backup going into the playoffs (maybe....hopefully) never hurts. They have a shocking lack of experience in net.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Cross Kipper off that list.

https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/316682907127255040

*it should be noted that Kypreos doesn't know how to spell "citing"
Yup. Just saw that too.

I guess we can close up that Kipper thread.