HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacob Trouba going pro (UPD: Jets agree to terms)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2013, 03:41 PM
  #101
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,750
vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea the good news is it’s not like we rushed Jacob.......he had a full season of collage and the WJC and now his hockey is done. I think that is important to remember here, we are still in March and Jacob is finished hockey for the season and if he was going to be back in Collage next year so be it but if not he would most likely play 10 professional games for the Ice Caps which represents 13% of a season! Remember Jacob played a grand total of 36 games for Michigan this year (plus playoffs) so another 10 games at the pro level against men is significant. This could be the exact trial run Jacob needs to be ready to join the parent club in the fall.

To me this is a no brainer if TNSE have deemed Jacob ready to turn pro then I think this a great time to join the Caps and see what he can do at the pro level!!
It's like you were reading my mind. The kid is finished playing hockey for the year, would everyone prefer he load up on frat parties? The kid looks to be close to ready as per all the scouts & management types. What does it hurt for Chevy to sign him to an ELC (assuming this is what he wants). If he is one of those truly exceptional players maybe he is good enough to stick and help this year, if not down to St. Johns for some seasoning. Same idea next season. Either way it is very doubtful he will be up on the Jets roster long enough this season to burn a year towards UFA. IMO no need to worry about rushing him, there is absolutely no evidence that Chevy is inclined to do this...just ask Mark.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
  #102
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 155
If his goal is to be a full time NHLer by next fall, I'd think his best shot at it is if he signs the ATO and ELC. He plays the rest of the year with the Ice Caps and has somewhat of a working knowledge of the system/pro game and has the summer to get bigger/faster/stronger.

The longer he stays in college or away from the AHL the longer it will take to become a full time roster player IMO.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:25 PM
  #103
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 50
Michael Spath ‏@Spath_Wolverine 1h
Jacob Trouba doesn't have a timetable but will definitely consider going pro. But Michigan would be a hard place to leave.
Retweeted by MichiganHockey.net

Michael Spath ‏@Spath_Wolverine 1h
Trouba says he feels there is some unfinished business left here at Michigan.
Retweeted by MichiganHockey.net

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:33 PM
  #104
Gil Fisher
Registered User
 
Gil Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 950
vCash: 500
We got all the unfinished business you can handle.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:37 PM
  #105
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
We got all the unfinished business you can handle.
besides, it hink being involved in any sort business deals voids NCAA eligibility, no?

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:25 PM
  #106
Rook37
Registered User
 
Rook37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 619
vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I highly doubt he'd last here - he'd be in St. Johns very quickly (please don't abbreviate it SJ
Oh man, thank you! I had no idea how that could even be possible but it scared the **** outta me. Shades of J. Schultz flashing before my eyes. Had to search the thread for "SJ" and "San Jose" until I found someone who knew what was going on, haha.

...phew... well I feel better now.

But on topic, there's no way in hell Trouba should be on the Jets roster yet. Give him a few games if you want, he should absolutely be sent to St. John's (or CHL, I suppose. How old is he?) if he's done with the NCAA.

I'll be honest, I used to be familiar with his situation but I'm kind of fuzzy right now - can he play another year in the NCAA? Is that the question here? Either way, I think the AHL is likely the best place for him right now.

Anyways, unless he shows up and plays phenomenally, I don't see how you can justify rushing his development and throwing him in the NHL like that. Luckily, I feel like this franchise has definitely learned their lessons there.

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:39 PM
  #107
jetkarma
Registered User
 
jetkarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Kevin Cheveldayoff has continually and consistently said that when a player is ready , he is . Be that 18 right out of the draft , one year removed , or further.

He expressed his criteria, being physically ready , mature , where would the player best develop etc., but he has not said , ever that I have heard , that he would not pursue having an under 20 player on the Jets.

He also said the Jets were in the process of evaluating whether to seriously consider signing Trouba . This was a month or so ago , and he also said the Jets decision makers were being involved.

Summarily dismissing the thought of signing him with the intent that if he earns it next fall that he would have a spot here would be an error imo.

jetkarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
  #108
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Michael Spath ‏@Spath_Wolverine 1h
Jacob Trouba doesn't have a timetable but will definitely consider going pro. But Michigan would be a hard place to leave.
Retweeted by MichiganHockey.net

Michael Spath ‏@Spath_Wolverine 1h
Trouba says he feels there is some unfinished business left here at Michigan.
Retweeted by MichiganHockey.net
Hmm to me it sounds like he's leaning towards staying, wouldn't be the worst decision in the world if he goes back for one more year.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:54 PM
  #109
EpicGingy
Registered User
 
EpicGingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 50
I think the team and Trouba will make the best decision at heart. I wish that he's ready to make the jump, but if they feel like he's not then I'm 100% behind it.

I just drool for the day when he's ready... he's going to be SO much fun to watch.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:56 PM
  #110
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Kevin Cheveldayoff has continually and consistently said that when a player is ready , he is . Be that 18 right out of the draft , one year removed , or further.

He expressed his criteria, being physically ready , mature , where would the player best develop etc., but he has not said , ever that I have heard , that he would not pursue having an under 20 player on the Jets.

He also said the Jets were in the process of evaluating whether to seriously consider signing Trouba . This was a month or so ago , and he also said the Jets decision makers were being involved.

Summarily dismissing the thought of signing him with the intent that if he earns it next fall that he would have a spot here would be an error imo.
+1

Trouba is a good enough skater and physically ready to play the NHL. But like most young defenseman it's probably going to take him time to adapt to the speed of the game and he will most likely make a number of mistakes early on. Not saying it will take Trouba as long but Bogosian didn't breakout until his fourth year and Trouba has a similar skill set.

The biggest question on my mind is if he does turn pro and is on the Jets how patient will Noel be with him while we are in run to the playoffs. The last thing I want to see is him being shuttled in and out of the press box like Scheifele was earlier this year. As some people have stated his best bet might be to go to the AHL for the rest of the year learn the system and come into camp and earn his spot next fall.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:24 PM
  #111
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Interesting for Trouba and the Jets with options.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...199987591.html

Were Trouba to come to the decision to turn pro, he would contact the Jets to state his intentions.

The Jets would then have to sign him to a contract. If the two parties were unable to come to an agreement, Trouba would have the option of returning to college. Technically, a college player cannot hire an agent and negotiate with a pro team or his eligibility will be forfeited. Discussions have to be handled carefully and follow protocol to protect the player. If Winnipeg was able to reach a deal with Trouba, they could then send him to their AHL affiliate or put him on their NHL roster.


Sending Trouba to the St. John's IceCaps would require the player to sign an amateur tryout contract in conjunction with his entry-level contract. An ATO will ruin his college eligibility and it's likely Trouba and his agent will want a maximum entry-level deal.
COMPLETE GIBBERISH.

Lawless is such a tool. This is completely WRONG.

You cannot sign a AMATEUR TRY-OUT once you have an ELC. See how that doesn't make even the slighest amount of sense. It does not work. He does NOT need an ATO to go to St. John's. One of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

As I explained before, if Trouba signs an ELC, since he is still 18 if he does not appear in 6 NHL games his contract simply slides.

It could make sense if the Jets DON'T sign him to an ELC for this year, but would they not since the contract would just slide anyways if they wanted to send him to St. John's. Trouba would never agree to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
Sending Trouba to the St. John's IceCaps would require the player to sign an amateur tryout contract in conjunction with his entry-level contract.

Is this true, or is Lawless being Lawless?
It's complete BS. Makes absolutely no sense. Lawless has absolutely no idea what he talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
My understanding is yes. It allows the team to sign the player to a contract , but not burn the first year of the contract by having them play under the ATO. Normally the player is only going to be playing a small number of games ( up to 25 on the ATO ) at the end of the season or playoffs, so this is a good choice for the club.
No. If a player does not have an ELC, like Saponari it makes sense. Trouba is going to want an ELC to leave school. And since Trouba is 18, so long as he does appear in 6 NHL games his contract slides anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Yes it's true, but it's basically a meaningless distinction, he still needs to sign his ELC and lose his NCAA eligibility, and I'd doubt there would be any issue with him signing one, if he's going to sign the ELC he's going to be willing to sign the ATO.
Nope. Not true. Since the player is junior aged the ELC would slide anyways. No ATO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
It doesn't require it, but it makes the most sense for the Jets to do so if they were inclined to have him play on the Icecaps.
No. Explained above.


Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-26-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:39 PM
  #112
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,325
vCash: 50
Good thing we have Garret for stats and Holden for CBA clarifications.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:48 PM
  #113
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,858
vCash: 50
Holden with the save.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
  #114
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,328
vCash: 50
Unless Lawless is referring to the same type of scenario in which Edmonton did with Jordan Eberle in March 2009. Eberle signed a 3-year Entry Level Contract which kicked in July 1st. Eberle then signed an ATO, which went into effect immediately, thus allowing him to play in the AHL for the remainder of that season.

But, if Trouba had intentions of strictly wanting to play in the NHL, then it would have to be your basic Entry Level Contract going in effect immediately upon signing.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=141082  3903
"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
  #115
Rheged
JMFT
 
Rheged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
COMPLETE GIBBERISH.

Lawless is such a tool. This is completely WRONG.

You cannot sign a AMATEUR TRY-OUT once you have an ELC. See how that doesn't make even the slighest amount of sense. It does not work. He does NOT need an ATO to go to St. John's. One of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

As I explained before, if Trouba signs an ELC, since he is still 18 if he does not appear in 10 NHL games his contract simply slides.

It could make sense if the Jets DON'T sign him to an ELC for this year, but would they not since the contract would just slide anyways if they wanted to send him to St. John's. Trouba would never agree to that.

Nope. Not true. Since the player is junior aged the ELC would slide anyways. No ATO.
While I agree with you in general, since as far as I know this is how it should work, this is specifically what was reported to have happened to Will O'Neill last year as per this article from the IceCaps website.

Quote:
The Winnipeg Jets today announced they have signed defenceman Will O’Neill to an NHL contract. The St. John’s IceCaps have also signed O’Neill to an amateur tryout contract.
The only reason I remember this is it confused the hell out of me at the time, since it seems to go against logic.

Edit

Oh, yeah, that mentioned above would make sense, at least in regards to O'Neill last year..

I'm definitely not 100% on ELC rules in regards to when they come into effect.

Rheged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:59 PM
  #116
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Unless Lawless is referring to the same type of scenario in which Edmonton did with Jordan Eberle in March 2009. Eberle signed a 3-year Entry Level Contract which kicked in July 1st. Eberle then signed an ATO, which went into effect immediately, thus allowing him to play in the AHL for the remainder of that season.

But, if Trouba had intentions of strictly wanting to play in the NHL, then it would have to be your basic Entry Level Contract going in effect immediately upon signing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
While I agree with you in general, since as far as I know this is how it should work, this is specifically what was reported to have happened to Will O'Neill last year as per this article from the IceCaps website.



The only reason I remember this is it confused the hell out of me at the time, since it seems to go against logic.

Edit

Oh, yeah, that mentioned above would make sense, at least in regards to O'Neill last year..

I'm definitely not 100% on ELC rules in regards to when they come into effect.
Yes, that would makes sense if the ELC was scheduled to start July 1st, like the Will O'Neill or Jordan Eberle contract. It's a way to save a year on guys like O'Neill (have no idea why Edmonton would have bothered with that as Eberle was 19).

But it makes no sense for 2 reasons.

a) If the Jets wanted to send him to St. John's, they could and being junior aged his contract would simply slide anyways considering he would not appear in more than 6 NHL games. And that way they could recall him to Jets as a black ace in playoffs. For O'Neill they bought him another year on ELC. For Trouba is helps absolutely nothing since his contract would slide anyways.

b) Why would Trouba want to sign an ATO to get out of school early. He is going to want to sign to go to Winnipeg, or at least the chance to go to Winnipeg. Otherwise he would just wait until the off-season. See no reason he would want to finish the year in St. John's with no possibility of coming up, not even as an extra for playoffs.

Lawless should have bothered to say ELC starting next year then. Because that means Trouba would be signing a contract that gains nothing for the team or player (since the contract sliding anyways) and costs Trouba money and prevents Trouba any chance at all of playing with the Jets this year OR being a part of the black aces gaining experience. Smart. Way to think it through Lawless.


Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-26-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:12 PM
  #117
Rheged
JMFT
 
Rheged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yes, that would makes sense if the ELC was scheduled to start July 1st, like the Will O'Neill or Jordan Eberle contract. It's a way to save a year on guys like O'Neill (have no idea why Edmonton would have bothered with that as Eberle was 19).

But it makes no sense for 2 reasons.

a) If the Jets wanted to send him to St. John's, they could and being junior aged his contract would simply slide anyways considering he would not appear in more than 6 NHL games. And that way they could recall him to Jets as a black ace in playoffs. For O'Neill they bought him another year on ELC. For Trouba is helps absolutely nothing since his contract would slide anyways.

b) Why would Trouba want to sign an ATO to get out of school early. He is going to want to sign to go to Winnipeg, or at least the chance to go to Winnipeg. Otherwise he would just wait until the off-season. See no reason he would want to finish the year in St. John's with no possibility of coming up, not even as an extra for playoffs.

Lawless should have bothered to say ELC starting next year then. Because that means Trouba would be signing a contract that gains nothing for the team or player (since the contract sliding anyways) and costs Trouba money and prevents Trouba any chance at all of playing with the Jets this year OR being a part of the black aces gaining experience. Smart. Way to think it through Lawless.
So then is it completely at the teams discretion when the contract comes into effect?

I agree though completely, if they're going to sign him then they're not going to do it in such a way that he can be around the big team, an ATO makes no sense.

Rheged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:18 PM
  #118
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
So then is it completely at the teams discretion when the contract comes into effect?

I agree though completely, if they're going to sign him then they're not going to do it in such a way that he can be around the big team, an ATO makes no sense.
I've looked for the clause before in CBA explaining when a contract must come into effect, however I have yet to find it. But yes I have seen many examples of teams signing players and only having the contract start on the next July 1st .

However, if Lawless had thought about it for one second (and understood the rules about contract's sliding, which I am certain he doesn't) he would realize it makes no sense for Trouba or the Jets to sign a contract starting July 1st.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
  #119
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,328
vCash: 50
Ya, that makes sense, Holden. Who knows what Lawless was thinking.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:42 PM
  #120
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,014
vCash: 663
Good call for Trouba, Michigan was pretty terribad this year.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:00 AM
  #121
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,460
vCash: 50
I honestly don't believe a word that comes out of Lawless' mouth. He seems like someone who just says things to be in the know.

If he IS right and Trouba will only sign if he's guaranteed to be in Winnipeg, I don't think the Jets do it now. We already are stuffed with D and heading into this critical stretch you don't bring a rookie up to the big club having no idea how he will play or react. It makes zero sense.

IF Trouba is willing to go to St. John's, then that makes more sense. Let him play it out down there and see how he does. Then make your decision.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:03 AM
  #122
umwoz
Registered User
 
umwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,198
vCash: 500
Merrill leaves UMichigan. Not sure if this has any impact on Trouba but I'd think losing a player of that caliber can only increase his chances of leaving.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:11 AM
  #123
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,328
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Merrill leaves UMichigan. Not sure if this has any impact on Trouba but I'd think losing a player of that caliber can only increase his chances of leaving.
Good news, maybe... but, Merrill has already spent 3 years in Michigan. He likely feels he's more than ready for the jump to Pro.

Lawless said last night we would likely hear something today from the Trouba camp. I am REALLY hoping he decides to turn Pro here.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:06 AM
  #124
Inflict
Viking
 
Inflict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
I may be in the minority here, but I say he should stay in Michigan for another year or two, whether he is NHL ready or not. No one is completely sure of the identity of next year's St. John's team and it wouldn't make sense to give him bottom pairing minutes in the NHL if he is not completely ready.

At Michigan he will have a fairly consistent team all year, play more minutes, play against adults and will be able to further his education. Not much more you could ask for towards the development of a young player. Let him learn the game a bit more and grow into his frame.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
  #125
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,712
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
http://www.annarbor.com/sports/michi...on-merrill-li/

Quote:
Trouba was picked ninth overall by the Winnipeg Jets in the 2012 NHL Draft. After a standout freshman season, he said he doesn’t have a timetable for making a decision.

“I’m just trying to feel it out kind of and get everything sorted out, and however I feel and what I think is best for me is what I’ll do,” Trouba said.
Quote:
“He’s done as much as he can do for a freshman, when you think about what he’s done his freshman year,” Berenson said. “I couldn’t deny him if he wanted to leave. On the flip side I could understand completely if a kid like that wanted to come back and grow another year and get a little more confident.”
Quote:
Trouba called the season “one of the most fun years I’ve had playing hockey on and off the ice.

“I think I’ve learned a lot about me as a person, about the game of hockey,” Trouba said. “There’s not really a wrong decision to make, but there’s definitely one that could be more beneficial. I’m just going to wait it out and see how I feel.”

__________________
Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.