HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NJD 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
i hope we throw a late pick flyer on Mathias Niederberger, of the Barrie Colts. He's an overager, but he's doing very well on a mediocre Colts team. i've seen him play in Belleville and Peterborough a few times and came out thoroughly impressed
In terms of the CBA, I'm curious about whether Niederberger (November 1992 birthday) is still draft eligible. I think he would be because he played his first draft eligible season (2011) in Germany. The last CBA made Europeans have an extra year of draft eligibility compared to North Americans. But Niederberger jumped to the OHL after that season. '92 born undrafted North Americans would be free agents (Reid Boucher's linemate Charles Sarault for example).

Old
03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Adam Larsson

vCash: 892
Anyone know where Jordan Subban is projected to be drafted? I wanted PK Subban really bad in his draft year and now look at him. I know he's undersized and isn't perfect defensivly but neither was PK and if there's any organization that can teach you how to play defense the right way it's us. What do you guys think of our chance of drafting him and him as a prospect in general? Jordan and PK's stats are almost identical when you compare their draft years; PK had 15 goals 41 assists for 56 points, while Malcom just had 15 goals and 36 assists for 51 points, both played 68 games. I'll be pissed if we pass up on this guy and he turns out to be anything close to what his brother PK is and will become. What do you guys think?

Old
03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
NJDEVIL

Is there a network or cable package where we can get college and junior hockey games?

I am not familiar with players pre draft ( my friends know everything in NFL and MLB drafting) what;s the situation for a hockey fan how do we gain access to the collegiate and juniors? I wouldn't know who is good and who isn't....

Old
03-27-2013, 02:24 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktard23 View Post
Anyone know where Jordan Subban is projected to be drafted? I wanted PK Subban really bad in his draft year and now look at him. I know he's undersized and isn't perfect defensivly but neither was PK and if there's any organization that can teach you how to play defense the right way it's us. What do you guys think of our chance of drafting him and him as a prospect in general? Jordan and PK's stats are almost identical when you compare their draft years; PK had 15 goals 41 assists for 56 points, while Malcom just had 15 goals and 36 assists for 51 points, both played 68 games. I'll be pissed if we pass up on this guy and he turns out to be anything close to what his brother PK is and will become. What do you guys think?
Jordan looks pegged for the 2nd round for the time being. Craig Button had him #36 on his latest ranking. Seems like the type of guy that somebody would gamble on in the 2nd despite the lack of size. Button compared him favorably to Brian Rafalski.

As for us drafting him, it'll be interesting to see how much need plays into our 2nd round pick. Normally teams will say 'take the best player available regardless of position' but last year I think David Conte was quoted as saying something along the lines of "We weren't targeting D, but Damon Severson was too good to pass up."

Naturally the Rafalski comparison piqued my interest. I wouldn't disapprove if we took Jordan despite having a 'glut' of D. You can never have too much depth, plus you can never quite tell what your roster will look like 3+ years down the road when Subban (or any other player) would be hypothetically challenging for a spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
Is there a network or cable package where we can get college and junior hockey games?

I am not familiar with players pre draft ( my friends know everything in NFL and MLB drafting) what;s the situation for a hockey fan how do we gain access to the collegiate and juniors? I wouldn't know who is good and who isn't....
Since players are drafted at age 17/18, most of the better prospects are drafted before they enter the NCAA. I don't know of too many easy ways to watch guys who are on the US Under-18 squad during their draft years.

Ditto with CHL prospects. I think each league sells some sort of online streaming.

There is a growing amount of written info that's available. Most of us are just repeating what we've read elsewhere. Same goes for the NFL Draft. You can be familiar with players and then we all have our biases. Some folks wouldn't touch a goalie in the 1st round. Some wouldn't bother drafting a stay at home D in the top two rounds.

As much flak as Craig Button gets, he's at least providing some decent free into about the draft every month: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/

There's an Edmonton radio show that does two weekly prospect podcasts. Once a month, they'll have the head scout of ISS on to discuss various guys: http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...375243200&sn=8

The Canadian version of Yahoo has a dedicated blog to junior hockey: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...zzing-the-net/

And back to your original question........there's a decent amount of college hockey on during the year nowadays. NBC Sports started picking up games this year and might show more in the future. The Big 10 Network would usually show at least one game a week. Depending on your TV provider, you might have some regional Fox Sports channels that will show games. The NHL Network was showing some junior games during the lockout and will usually have some Memorial Cup games.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:15 AM
CerebralGenesis

I actually haven't seen Subban play this year. Def would like to scout a few of his games to see how he's looking. I have a feeling a team will reach for him in the early to mid 2nd based on his last name.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

i've seen a couple of Belleville games this year and he was dynamic. not much of a shot, but he got in great position and was very fast, though i'm not sure if i just saw him on good days or not. He was the best player on the ice, even though he got out of position alot for a big hit or to start the rush. still, i wouldn't use a second round pick on him, i'd rather us gamble on a forward or goalie than a defenseman

Old
03-27-2013, 10:12 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubrus Coffee Maker View Post
i've seen a couple of Belleville games this year and he was dynamic. not much of a shot, but he got in great position and was very fast, though i'm not sure if i just saw him on good days or not. He was the best player on the ice, even though he got out of position alot for a big hit or to start the rush. still, i wouldn't use a second round pick on him, i'd rather us gamble on a forward or goalie than a defenseman
If we gamble on a offensive minded d-men in the 2nd round when we took a promising forward in the 1st, I would be more then happy with that decision. Is Subban a righty or lefty?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Good players will fall this year just like they did last year with Severson. If Subbzn falls to the third I would take him (Do we have a 3rd?) but there will be better players available.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
NJDEVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Jordan looks pegged for the 2nd round for the time being. Craig Button had him #36 on his latest ranking. Seems like the type of guy that somebody would gamble on in the 2nd despite the lack of size. Button compared him favorably to Brian Rafalski.

As for us drafting him, it'll be interesting to see how much need plays into our 2nd round pick. Normally teams will say 'take the best player available regardless of position' but last year I think David Conte was quoted as saying something along the lines of "We weren't targeting D, but Damon Severson was too good to pass up."

Naturally the Rafalski comparison piqued my interest. I wouldn't disapprove if we took Jordan despite having a 'glut' of D. You can never have too much depth, plus you can never quite tell what your roster will look like 3+ years down the road when Subban (or any other player) would be hypothetically challenging for a spot.

Since players are drafted at age 17/18, most of the better prospects are drafted before they enter the NCAA. I don't know of too many easy ways to watch guys who are on the US Under-18 squad during their draft years.

Ditto with CHL prospects. I think each league sells some sort of online streaming.

There is a growing amount of written info that's available. Most of us are just repeating what we've read elsewhere. Same goes for the NFL Draft. You can be familiar with players and then we all have our biases. Some folks wouldn't touch a goalie in the 1st round. Some wouldn't bother drafting a stay at home D in the top two rounds.

As much flak as Craig Button gets, he's at least providing some decent free into about the draft every month: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/

There's an Edmonton radio show that does two weekly prospect podcasts. Once a month, they'll have the head scout of ISS on to discuss various guys: http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...375243200&sn=8

The Canadian version of Yahoo has a dedicated blog to junior hockey: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...zzing-the-net/

And back to your original question........there's a decent amount of college hockey on during the year nowadays. NBC Sports started picking up games this year and might show more in the future. The Big 10 Network would usually show at least one game a week. Depending on your TV provider, you might have some regional Fox Sports channels that will show games. The NHL Network was showing some junior games during the lockout and will usually have some Memorial Cup games.
wow! Thanks Brodeur, tons of info here, got it logged. Greatly appreciate the time and effort.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If we gamble on a offensive minded d-men in the 2nd round when we took a promising forward in the 1st, I would be more then happy with that decision. Is Subban a righty or lefty?
righty

Old
03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
rrekaj13

If anyone has seen PK's summer training videos, the man is a monster. If Jordan can go through some of the same training and progress (and he is currently working with the same performance trainers), he'd be awesome in a few years.

Imagine PK playing wing, just flying down the boards for the puck. Scary.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:37 AM
NJDEVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Curious because I'm learning the mindset of draft scouting etc - do you say it's a gamble because we need scoring help and we should reserve the first two rounds at least for forwards?

Old
03-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
Curious because I'm learning the mindset of draft scouting etc - do you say it's a gamble because we need scoring help and we should reserve the first two rounds at least for forwards?
I think most of us are hoping to re-stock the forward depth. The first round this year seems rather forward heavy (especially compared to last year). I wouldn't be upset if Conte and crew were to pick defense or a goalie in the 2nd round. Most 2nd rounders are 4+ years away from contributing at the NHL level, so I almost hope that the team ignores our current depth chart when making the pick.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

If we get Fasching alone in this draft it would be a good draft.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:19 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
Good players will fall this year just like they did last year with Severson. If Subbzn falls to the third I would take him (Do we have a 3rd?) but there will be better players available.
Minnesota has our 3rd this year from the Zidlicky deal.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Devils1029

Adam Erne, Anthony Mantha, Valentin Zykov, or Kerby Rychel in the 1st round.....
Connor Hurley, Klimchuk, Subban or Petan in the 2nd
if one of these goalies is still there, Spencer Martin or Comrie - try to trade to pick up a third rounder.

Shlepyshev in the 4th if he's still there.

Try to find a diamond in the rough from Russia, sweden or Finland in the 6th round..

Go home happy.

Last edited by Devils1029: 03-28-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 07:51 PM
CerebralGenesis

i sorta doubt slepy goes til round 4

Old
03-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I sorta doubt he gets drafted with a valid contract in the KHL (till 2015).

We absolutely should though.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:33 AM
hlaverty06

If there was a way we could get Valeri Nichushkin, should turn out to be a Rick Nash style of play

He's quick, pretty good defensively, goes into the dirty areas. I think he drops due to the KHL contract.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:06 AM
hlaverty06

Round 1
ANthony Mantha

Round 2
Pavel Buchnevich

Round 3 (If we move a defender for a pick)
Sergei Tolchinsky...He is definitely very undersized but his speed and willingness to go into corner (and he's stronger on the puck than Teddy) Makes him a good pick I think

Round 4
Ben Harpur...would be a Peter Harrold replacement, played D for two seasons but is a converted forward. Big and physical at 6'4".

Round 6
Joose Antonen, if he made it to the NHL would be as a bottom 6 player..very physical and hard shot

Round 7
MacKenzie Weegar, great offensive upside as a defender but gets pushed around a bit in his own end

Undrafted (worth a look I think)
-Keegan Kanzig D ....big dude whose physical
-Hampus Olsson RW/ ...6'5" did well as a screen on his amateur team on the PP, he is a give it your all type of player and good energy
-Matej Beran LW (if we don't look at Olsson)... same deal as Olsson huge guy but Beran's much slower and has cement feet
-Vyacheslav Osnovin...great on his skates, good speed, and good puck handling skills again its his willingness to come over. He's a center
-Ville Husso....goalie, this guy I think will be a steal and If we draft him I think he will turn out being better than Wedge/Kinkaid/Clermont

Old
03-30-2013, 06:36 AM
hlaverty06

After doing some more searching around Ville Husso is definitely a guy we should look at in 7th round/undrafted. His play has dropped off but its because of consistency. If he can get it together I think he could be a diamond in the rough

Old
03-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Just found this gem.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Linus Hugosson ‏@linushugosson 29m
Talked to an NHL Euro scout today: "If Nichushkin isn't selected either first or second overall, it's only because of the Russian factor."

Old
04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Linus Hugosson ‏@linushugosson 29m
Talked to an NHL Euro scout today: "If Nichushkin isn't selected either first or second overall, it's only because of the Russian factor."
Havent followed the draft much. Only know the huge names. Is he any good ? Becuase Ive never heard him in discussions with MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin

Old
04-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Havent followed the draft much. Only know the huge names. Is he any good ? Becuase Ive never heard him in discussions with MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin
Rising up the board within the last couple months. Off the top of my head, ISS has him up to #2. Here's a blip from Red Line Report: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/1955773/

Quote:
The next tier includes perhaps Barkov, then Elias Lindholm, Valeri Nichushkin and Sean Monahan in a tightly bunched group of forwards, as well as Darnell Nurse from the blue-line ranks.

The newcomers are Nichushkin and Nurse. Nichuskin followed up his strong showing at the world junior championships by absolutely wowing us at the Five Nations under-18 tournament, where he led Russia to gold with some clutch performances against Sweden and the USA. But what really shocked us was his sheer physical size: He has grown from a good-sized winger into King-Kong on skates out there. There wasn't a single defenseman in the tournament who could prevent Nichushkin from walking them down right into the goaltender's lap.
Steve Yzerman and his staff hasn't been afraid to draft Russians the last couple of years, so I wouldn't be surprised if they snatched him up. Their pick is currently somewhere around #5.

Closed Thread