HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Sauer Signs

Old
08-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
how many people do you think will be saying "I told you so!" if Hugh turns out to be a good player?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
how many people do you think will be saying "I told you so!" if Hugh turns out to be a good player?

4?

Believe me, I want him to turn into an NHL player.

The problem I had with the selection, even then was more with the odds and what I thought he'd be even if he did make it (which I wouldn't have picked over other guys out there who I felt could've provided that game at a better level with better odds of achieving it).

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 03:49 PM
McRanger

The bigger criticism of 2003 should be Sathers inability to graciously let the Rangers miss the playoffs, robbing us of what should have been a top 5 pick. If Sather had started the rebuild in '03 or even '02, maybe the argument today would be which one of the Rangers Staal's is the goofiest looking.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
The bigger criticism of 2003 should be Sathers inability to graciously let the Rangers miss the playoffs, robbing us of what should have been a top 5 pick. If Sather had started the rebuild in '03 or even '02, maybe the argument today would be which one of the Rangers Staal's is the goofiest looking.
I think Marc has them all beat on that one.

Jordan is the youngest of the three so far but is already probably the biggest.

Old
08-09-2006, 05:31 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Imagine that... All 3 Staal's in NY...

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:07 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The reason that this argument never dies is because it was such a far-out pick. It's not like he drafted someone who was seen as a high draft pick and just did not pan out. He took someone whom nearly everyone (from fans to scouts to GMs)would never have picked that high. And how much better could this organization have been with another top-2 line player that was very young and homegrown? THe argument does not die becuae the effects of it are still being felt thoughout the organization.
Jessiman was a middle first round to bottom third first round player ...you make it sound as if he was a 3rd round pick. If I remember right the Rangers thought he was #4 overall and KNEW he was a PROJECT. The Rangers scouting staff has done wonderful recently and I still trust their opinion over posters on this board.

We've discussed EVERY aspect of this argument on both sides. There's nothing new you can add so just let it die until the season has progressed and we see how he's developed over the past few months.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Jessiman was a middle first round to bottom third first round player ...you make it sound as if he was a 3rd round pick. If I remember right the Rangers thought he was #4 overall and KNEW he was a PROJECT. The Rangers scouting staff has done wonderful recently and I still trust their opinion over posters on this board.

We've discussed EVERY aspect of this argument on both sides. There's nothing new you can add so just let it die until the season has progressed and we see how he's developed over the past few months.

No one was taking him that high from everyone I've talked to And the difference of 10, even 5 picks is huge.

And while I trust the Rangers brain trust, that doesn't mean they get a free pass when they're wrong. And push comes to shove, there are more than a few people on here who are just as accurate/more accurate with the early picks than the Rangers have managed to be.

Old
08-09-2006, 07:34 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
No one was taking him that high from everyone I've talked to And the difference of 10, even 5 picks is huge.

And while I trust the Rangers brain trust, that doesn't mean they get a free pass when they're wrong. And push comes to shove, there are more than a few people on here who are just as accurate/more accurate with the early picks than the Rangers have managed to be.
the point is this has all been discussed dozens of times already .... we can just copy and paste these arguments because the same thing is being said over and over. If people think he's finished and never will be anything other than an AHL player, then fine. Let's move on with life.

Last edited by DarthSather99: 08-09-2006 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
08-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Edge

Quote:
the point is this has all been discussed dozens of times already .... we can just copy and paste these arguments because the same thing is being said over and over. If people think he's finished and never will be anything other than an AHL player, then fine. Let's move on with life.

Again I understand, but I just don't see why people are getting so angry about this being brought up again. There are a million other subjects that have been brought up far more than this that have far less importance to the current Rangers or their future.

Old
08-09-2006, 07:43 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Again I understand, but I just don't see why people are getting so angry about this being brought up again. There are a million other subjects that have been brought up far more than this that have far less importance to the current Rangers or their future.
who's angry? We've had many Jessiman thread's. This is a Sauer signing thread and we are arguing about Jessiman?

Is there any thread that is safe from becoming a Jessiman argument.

Old
08-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Edge

Quote:
who's angry? We've had many Jessiman thread's. This is a Sauer signing thread and we are arguing about Jessiman?

Is there any thread that is safe from becoming a Jessiman argument.

When it comes to drafting? Probably not. Lee and Hugh are probably going to be used as examples for a long time, especially until the Rangers produce a couple of top two line centers and hopefully start producing players from the early rounds as well as they do the late ones.

Old
08-09-2006, 09:00 PM
msuhockey

well I'll be laughing my *** off at all of you who know nothing when Lee (and or Hugh) are producing in the NHL.........

msuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuhockey View Post
well I'll be laughing my *** off at all of you who know nothing when Lee (and or Hugh) are producing in the NHL.........
cool...

I'm not sure why you apparently felt the need to create an account and come on here just to tell us that we suck because we're dissapointed in some prospects progress, but still hope for the best with them.

No one's saying "god I hate Lee/Hugh and hope they never go anywhere". Everyone here would absolutely love it if both of them step up and have good NHL careers. Nothing against the guys at all, we just want to see them showing some more progress than they have so far

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

You know I would be saying it.

I just don't understand why this gets brought up once a week. Jessiman was the guy picked and could still turn into a player. He made progress last year (He played well in the ECHL perhaps better than he did during his last full year in the ECAC)
and played an uneven game in the AHL. (which means he played well at times in the AHL)

He hasn't hit the point of waving the white flag which three years into his draft...

Besides the point the draft isn't an exact science and the Rangers wouldn't be the first team in the history of pro sports to blow a first round pick. It's nitpicking at Sather(although Maloney and Renney never take a hit for Jessiman but get full marks for the kids that have panned out)

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 08-10-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Big Lee is a guy people can say i told you so about now. On this board from the day he was picked not many people thought he would make it this far. Big Lee is a guy that could get a callup this year due to injury. The guy has size and can skate and those guys end up in the NHL. He is going to be a solid bottom two line guy in the NHL and some of us having been saying THAT about the guy for a long time..

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 08-10-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:09 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Big Lee is a guy people can say i told you so now. On this board from the day he was picked not many people thought he would make it this far. Big Lee is a guy that could get a callup this year due to injury. The guy has size and can skate and those guys end up in the NHL. He is going to be a solid bottom two line guy in the NHL and some of us having been saying THAT about the guy for a long time..
Although I wanted Stoll, I do like Falardeau cause he can skate and has size, and he seems to be more physical than Betts. I see Falardeau as a nice upgrade to Betts.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Pizza

Kay, last post b4 bed.

I dig both of these guys(Hugh & Lee) big time.

The more they get ripped the more I want them to succeed. As I've stated many times before I am no expert, I'm just going with my gut as far as these two are concerned. These are big strong kids and the Rangers need some of those. Please do not remind me for the millionth friggin time about Getzlaf, Staal etc. Enough all ready. I saw both play plenty last year and they doing great. Good for them. I'm rooting hard for who we have. Not moaning about who we don't.

My gut tells me both Lee and Hugh will score big goals for or against us someday. But I must admit reading some of these posts makes me have my doubts. Can we just let them have another season before we call their careers over with:<

P.S.: When they do succeed I will proceed to tear thru this board like an avenging scythe.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 02:26 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Im curious to know if you have actually even watched Lee once since he has entered pro hockey? Or your just obsessing over him from his MSU years?

The guy will NEVER be a regular in the NHL unless he improves everything about his game which I will not be holding my breath on.

Hugh though on the other hand has skill, he is still very raw but there is a chance he will pull it together and will make the NHL as a good player.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 02:38 AM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

Congrats on signing a great defensemen! I've had the pleasure of watching sauer all through juniors and I really hope he's getting past the injury bug. I think of him as a solid 2nd pair defensemen. He's got a great defensive game, makes a great first pass, can shoot, and brings a physical edge. I hope to see him in portland again this year as we sorely need him but would be joyed to see him play in hartford. BTW, how much for us to get dubinsky back?

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 07:03 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
Congrats on signing a great defensemen! I've had the pleasure of watching sauer all through juniors and I really hope he's getting past the injury bug. I think of him as a solid 2nd pair defensemen. He's got a great defensive game, makes a great first pass, can shoot, and brings a physical edge. I hope to see him in portland again this year as we sorely need him but would be joyed to see him play in hartford. BTW, how much for us to get dubinsky back?

Finally back on subject...Thank you.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:10 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
Not happening, sorry. Dubi is the one ticketed for Hartford (unless he becomes a pleasant surprise in camp.) You will get Sauer back for one more year. Then he's ticketed fot Hartford, too. But, thanks for sending them our way. Both players will very likely play important roles in the Rangers' future.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 08:26 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
P.S.: When they do succeed I will proceed to tear thru this board like an avenging scythe.
Success is a fickle thing. To us, Jason Ward is NOW a successfull 3rd line player. Do you think that the Habs view their former 1st round (I believe top-10) pick as a success?

If Jessiman becomes another Jason Ward, is that really so wonderfull to us? If Falardeau becomes a 4th line center, is that really worth becoming an avenging scythe over? Personally, a 12th overall pick in an extremely deep draft becoming a 3rd line player does not do it for me. Nor the 2nd rounder (in a year in which that was the only pick amongst the first 60 rounds.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Jessiman has now come to the point that he can be nothing but a 3rd line player (although I believe that a 4th line spot is all that Falardeau can hope for, at the NHL level). But if these players do make the NHL and become nothing more than bottom-2 line players, I would not exactly become giddy with the "I told you so's".

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Success is a fickle thing. To us, Jason Ward is NOW a successfull 3rd line player. Do you think that the Habs view their former 1st round (I believe top-10) pick as a success?

If Jessiman becomes another Jason Ward, is that really so wonderfull to us? If Falardeau becomes a 4th line center, is that really worth becoming an avenging scythe over? Personally, a 12th overall pick in an extremely deep draft becoming a 3rd line player does not do it for me. Nor the 2nd rounder (in a year in which that was the only pick amongst the first 60 rounds.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Jessiman has now come to the point that he can be nothing but a 3rd line player (although I believe that a 4th line spot is all that Falardeau can hope for, at the NHL level). But if these players do make the NHL and become nothing more than bottom-2 line players, I would not exactly become giddy with the "I told you so's".
Being a card carrying infidel, I take my avenging scythe work very seriously

Occasionally my Italian heritage gets the better of me and I have a swelling of emotion. Seeing as it was very late, I was very tired and for the billionth time we were dissecting the negative ramifications of the Jessiman & Falardeau picks, I could excuse myself the indignity of losing my temper a bit. But I will make no excuses.

I do have a confession to make however. I am a fan and not an analyst. I basically have no frickin idea as to what I am talking about. I count on a number of you guys for the analysis, the rest for comic relief, and sometimes it's too much. The Rangers are an emotional outlet for me, so pardon my occasional emotional indulgences.

To answer your questions. What were they again?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:57 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I basically have no frickin idea as to what I am talking about.
Welcome to the card carrying, know-nothing club. Good to see that I am not the only one.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Being a card carrying infidel, I take my avenging scythe work very seriously

Occasionally my Italian heritage gets the better of me and I have a swelling of emotion. Seeing as it was very late, I was very tired and for the billionth time we were dissecting the negative ramifications of the Jessiman & Falardeau picks, I could excuse myself the indignity of losing my temper a bit. But I will make no excuses.

I do have a confession to make however. I am a fan and not an analyst. I basically have no frickin idea as to what I am talking about. I count on a number of you guys for the analysis, the rest for comic relief, and sometimes it's too much. The Rangers are an emotional outlet for me, so pardon my occasional emotional indulgences.

To answer your questions. What were they again?
We can all try to be analysts, but in truth, none of us are. That's why there's professionals, and people like us, posting our opinions which we sometimes exude upon others a little too forcefully. We're all guilty of it once in a while, it's a matter of cooler heads prevailing. So yeah, I'll join you in that club as well, Pizza.

Hey... nothing wrong with pretending like you know what you're talking about, everyone does it... except me, I always know what I'm talking about, hehe.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote