HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 09:30 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haanz View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome haha.

I'm pretty high on Elias Lindholm, who seems to be falling under the radar. He put up better draft-year numbers in the SEL than Nicklas Backstrom. Lots of skill with a good deal of grit. I think he's going to be one of the top players from this draft class when all is said and done.
I've been saying the exact same thing for awhile, but nobody seems to be listening. If this was any other draft, he'd be in the conversation for the top 3, but the top end talent of this draft is just too good.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
With TBL winning we now have the 3rd overall pick. Florida seriously sucks. Their gonna finish last.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Bring on Jones!

Old
03-26-2013, 09:34 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
With TBL winning we now have the 3rd overall pick. Florida seriously sucks. Their gonna finish last.
Jonathan Drouin would look sweet in orange and black.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Jack de la Hoya

There's no way we don't take Jones, MacKinnon, or Drouin if we are in the top-3 (in whatever order), right?

If we are at 4, what do we think? Barkov? Nurse? Lindholm?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:36 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
which blows. We really need to finish last to ensure we get jones or mac.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Jonathan Drouin would look sweet in orange and black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
There's no way we don't take Jones, MacKinnon, or Drouin if we are in the top-3 (in whatever order), right?

If we are at 4, what do we think? Barkov? Nurse? Lindholm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Personally, I don't even know if Homer would choose jones over the other 2 with the 1st overall pick. Homer is known to covet forwards in the 1st round. And most will agree the #1 pick is up for grabs between 3 players

Say we finish with the 3rd pick.

Florida takes Mac, Avs take Jones and we get Drouin. I think Florida would pass on Jones since they have good defenders and Drouin since they have a dynamic winger in Hubs. Avs easily won't pass on Jones. They need another #1 defender.

Old
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Starting Leighton could really change that.

Old
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I honestly think this team has the capability to step up and compete with florida. They have shown the ability all year and now in the home stretch of the season im sure the guys will find a way to finish as the first worst team in the league. cmon boys

Old
Psuhockey

Quote:
Colorado really needs to get its act together!

Old
03-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Haanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Not necessarily. I know of a Western Conference team that didn't have Yakupov in their top 10 last year. It mostly had to do with the Russian factor, but their list was vastly different than the general consensus.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Personally, I don't even know if Homer would choose jones over the other 2 with the 1st overall pick. Homer is known to covet forwards in the 1st round. And most will agree the #1 pick is up for grabs between 3 players

Florida takes Mac, Avs take Jones and we get Drouin. I think Florida would pass on Jones since they have good defenders and Drouin since they have a dynamic winger in Hubs. Avs easily won't pass on Jones. They need another #1 defender.
I agree but I think Colorado would be tempted to pick Drouin. Duchene and Drouin would be lethal and offense puts butts in the seats. They probably would pick Jones but I don't think it is a definite as many think. Erik Johnson could be a double reason not to pick him: one he is technically their top right handed defensemen and two he has been a disappointment as far as 1st pick overall "franchise" defensemen and could be a reminder to take the surer thing in Drouin.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I honestly think this team has the capability to step up and compete with florida. They have shown the ability all year and now in the home stretch of the season im sure the guys will find a way to finish as the first worst team in the league. cmon boys
I haven't really followed Florida this year but they must be beyond brutal considering they are worse than the Flyers which is pretty amazing considering how bad the Flyers look...

Old
03-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Gibbs18

Mind as well keep on tanking to get a good pick

Old
03-26-2013, 09:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree but I think Colorado would be tempted to pick Drouin. Duchene and Drouin would be lethal and offense puts butts in the seats. They probably would pick Jones but I don't think it is a definite as many think. Erik Johnson could be a double reason not to pick him: one he is technically their top right handed defensemen and two he has been a disappointment as far as 1st pick overall "franchise" defensemen and could be a reminder to take the surer thing in Drouin.
I guess i look at it from our point of view. They have only Erik Johnson on defense really. That's it. They have a few prospects (Siemens, Barrie, etc etc) but no true top defender prospect. Thinking about it your probably right though. Not as definite but I do think they would lean that way.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:57 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

I like drouin, but i think the other 2 are just going to be better pros.

Im totally fine with mac over jones, imo hes the bpa.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I guess i look at it from our point of view. They have only Erik Johnson on defense really. That's it. They have a few prospects (Siemens, Barrie, etc etc) but no true top defender prospect. Thinking about it your probably right though. Not as definite but I do think they would lean that way.
Their fans all seem pretty certain it would be Jones, but who knows.

Also depends on what they plan to did with O'Reilly.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:59 PM
JVR21
G

Drouin could very well end up being the best player in this draft when it's all said and done. I want Jones badly, but I would not be at all disappointed if we got Drouin with the 2nd or 3rd overall pick.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:59 PM
PropJoe

Mark your calenders boys April 29th. We'll know where were picking on that day.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Is that when the lottery happens?

Old
03-26-2013, 10:24 PM
PropJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Is that when the lottery happens?
Yep two days after this dreadful season ends.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...flyers-defense

I know everyone wants Seth Jones, but after reading this... I'm starting to hope the flyers draft Drouin, Mac, or Barkov; and trade (Couts or B Schenn) for a dman with a high upside. Would like people's thoughts after reading the link I posted.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:30 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Drouin could very well end up being the best player in this draft when it's all said and done. I want Jones badly, but I would not be at all disappointed if we got Drouin with the 2nd or 3rd overall pick.
Same here. I want Jones more than anything, but if we somehow walked away with Drouin, I wouldn't disapointed. I think Drouin is a special, special player. He's got what you can't teach.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...flyers-defense

I know everyone wants Seth Jones, but after reading this... I'm starting to hope the flyers draft Drouin, Mac, or Barkov; and trade (Couts or B Schenn) for a dman with a high upside. Would like people's thoughts after reading the link I posted.
I think this is quickly becoming the consensus best course, honestly (assuming we can't draft Jones, and don't end up around 6-8 (and draft Nurse).

Draft Barkov, and slot him into the 3C role, and move Couturier for a developing young defenseman with top-pairing upside. A guy like Gormley could be interesting here--PHX has been patient with him, and he's likely ready to play in the NHL next year (in a limited role).

EDIT: That assumes we pick at 4. A similar logic could be used for 2 or 3, but it depends on Laughton coming in and playing 3C.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I think the Flyers need to finish 2nd worst or 4th worst.

You have to figure the Flyers will not win the lottery. And, based on our luck, any team worse than use won't win either, because this would be beneficial to us. So, if we finish 1st worst, everyone will be dejected when we lose the lottery and can't pick Jones. If we finish 2nd, we are guaranteed one of the top three (which seems to be the consensus that there are three great players in the draft for sure) because we will pick 3rd. If we are third worse, we will be dejected that we don't get one of the top 3, but if we finish 4th worst, than we have no hope of getting one of the top three and our hopes won't be dashed.

Closed Thread