HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who Had The Better Shot?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
  #1
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14
 
Freddie Mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Who Had The Better Shot?

I never really had the chance to see them in their primes but who had the better (hard and accurate) slapshot betweem Al MacInnis and Al Iafrate?

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 12:15 PM
  #2
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #21 View Post
I never really had the chance to see them in their primes but who had the better (hard and accurate) slapshot betweem Al MacInnis and Al Iafrate?
Both were amazing. I can't say for sure because MacInnis had far more health and played far more games and ended up being a Hall of Fame player. Though a comparison of Iafrate to MacInnis is not unwarrrented. Iafrate had a great shot from the point even in real games and not just in the skills competition. If Iafrate had been healthy and had a 17-20 year career he likely is a Hall of Fame D-Man as well. But he wasn't healthy and had a shirter career. But his flashes of brilliance were in fact quite brilliant. He was huge and strong and had great speed and great offensive instincts and was not bad defensively either. Too bad Iafrate had the injury issues he had.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
  #3
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14
 
Freddie Mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
hey i forgot to add a poll can i edit to put one in?

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
  #4
Whatever Man*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Big Mac.

Whatever Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:44 PM
  #5
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
I think Iafrate's shot was faster, but MacInnis could get it off quicker and utilized it with more skill.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 04:59 PM
  #6
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,895
vCash: 500
MacInnis, easy. MacInnis was so deadly because not only was it a cannon, but he could aim. Iafrate has the second hardest shot all time, I think, but wasn't nearly as accurate.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
  #7
Ronald Pagan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
MacInnis, easy. MacInnis was so deadly because not only was it a cannon, but he could aim. Iafrate has the second hardest shot all time, I think, but wasn't nearly as accurate.
No question it's MacInnis. Iafrate shouldn't even be in the discussion. MacInnis' shot was just as hard and about 400% more accurate.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 05:51 PM
  #8
jiggs 10
Registered User
 
jiggs 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hockeytown, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Well, this is a reasonable question. I think it's obvious MacInnis' shot was more accurate, but as for speed, "heaviness", and etc. it's a lot closer than some of you think. Iafrate could carry the puck better, too.

BTW, Bobby Hull had by FAR the hardest shot thus far in hockey history. Bobby Orr's might have been faster than MacInnis', too.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
  #9
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post
Well, this is a reasonable question. I think it's obvious MacInnis' shot was more accurate, but as for speed, "heaviness", and etc. it's a lot closer than some of you think. Iafrate could carry the puck better, too.

BTW, Bobby Hull had by FAR the hardest shot thus far in hockey history. Bobby Orr's might have been faster than MacInnis', too.

Was the speed of his shot (110 mph?) ever verfied? or is it still just speculation?

I never saw Bobby Hull play, but being Brett's father, you've gotta imagine he had a cannon too.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
  #10
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Was the speed of his shot (110 mph?) ever verfied? or is it still just speculation?

I never saw Bobby Hull play, but being Brett's father, you've gotta imagine he had a cannon too.
It was actually recorded at 118 mph and was in older editions of the Guiness book of records. A lot of people question the accuracy of the measuring device (I believe it as do Hall, Bower etc.) but most still agree that bobby Hull had the hardest shot of all time.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 06:37 PM
  #11
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
most still agree that bobby Hull had the hardest shot of all time.
I was just gonna post that.

But in modern times, MacInnis was the man.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 06:45 PM
  #12
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I was just gonna post that.

But in modern times, MacInnis was the man.
Agree that MacInnes was the best of modern times but Iafrate's was just as fast but not as accurate. In Hull's time we also had Geoffrion & Bathgate who both had great shots but were pobably never measured.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:15 PM
  #13
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Agree that MacInnes was the best of modern times but Iafrate's was just as fast but not as accurate. In Hull's time we also had Geoffrion & Bathgate who both had great shots but were pobably never measured.
I haven't seen much of Hull in his prime but as for the best shot I've ever seen its got to go to Reed Larson. Murray I guessing that you've seen alot of him going against the Hawks.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 08:10 PM
  #14
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I haven't seen much of Hull in his prime but as for the best shot I've ever seen its got to go to Reed Larson. Murray I guessing that you've seen alot of him going against the Hawks.
Never really saw that much of Larson but understand he had a pretty good shot. I really lost interest in the Blackhawks after hull left and never really watched them that much after 1972 .My main focus was the WHA/Winnipeg Jets so I saw Hull a lot. More recently I was a Pittsburgh/Lemieux fan.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 08:22 PM
  #15
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14
 
Freddie Mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
well thanks for your opinions

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 09:51 PM
  #16
Galchenkel
Registered User
 
Galchenkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
does anybody has the video of back a few years ago, macinnis' shot blew out a piece of the board behind the net during a warm up?

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.