HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

Anyone hear of expansion/merger plans for ECHL, CHL, SPHL FOR 2013-14?

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 02:23 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
When the East Coast Hockey League merged with the West Coast Hockey League in 2003, the IHL still existed.

Perhaps the now no-abbreviation-nor-acronym ECHL might consider changing it's name to IHL

Old
03-26-2013, 05:34 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
When the East Coast Hockey League merged with the West Coast Hockey League in 2003, the IHL still existed.

Perhaps the now no-abbreviation-nor-acronym ECHL might consider changing it's name to IHL
Not after the Fort Wayne owners acquired the name and used it to rebrand the UHL and limp along another 2 years. That two years did, IMO, a lot more damage to the name's brand and legitimacy. Leave it where it is for a while longer, is my thinking.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:30 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapn Kaveman View Post
I believe the ECHL has capped the number of teams at 26 ... they could change the bylaws to allow more teams ... maybe 1 for every NHL and AHL team...

I'd also would like to see a name change ... ECHL is outdated ... bring back the IHL..
1-1-1 I think would handicap the competition.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:00 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Maybe after there's only the E left, they can finally give those letters meaning again: Entire Continent Hockey League.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:50 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
And would the E's membership limit be related to subsidies from their NHL affiliates? As in, if they had 35 teams, 5 of them would be left out in the cold?
You mention a common misperception here. ECHL teams do NOT get "subsidies" from their NHL affiliates. The ECHL team typically _pays_ for the privilege of the NHL affiliation. What they get in return (sometimes) are players assigned to them that are property of the NHL (or AHL) parent -- the parent team pays the players' salaries. So, the theory is that the child would pay less in affiliation than they would if they directly paid the players' salaries -- but this is not a "subsidy".

In addition, unlike the AHL, the ECHL has no requirement that its teams maintain either AHL or NHL affiliations -- in the recent past, many more teams have chosen affiliation than complete independence, but that's not a factor at all in terms of limiting the ECHL to only as many teams as the NHL has -- in fact, the 2003-04 season featured 31 ECHL teams (to the NHL's then 30).

Old
03-26-2013, 11:51 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I think so. That's also why I think that the ECHL's capped their membership total, as they know they can't go over what the NHL has.
Incorrect -- see my prior post. The ECHL can (and already has in the past) gone over the NHL's number of teams.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:42 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
You mention a common misperception here. ECHL teams do NOT get "subsidies" from their NHL affiliates. The ECHL team typically _pays_ for the privilege of the NHL affiliation. What they get in return (sometimes) are players assigned to them that are property of the NHL (or AHL) parent -- the parent team pays the players' salaries. So, the theory is that the child would pay less in affiliation than they would if they directly paid the players' salaries -- but this is not a "subsidy".

In addition, unlike the AHL, the ECHL has no requirement that its teams maintain either AHL or NHL affiliations -- in the recent past, many more teams have chosen affiliation than complete independence, but that's not a factor at all in terms of limiting the ECHL to only as many teams as the NHL has -- in fact, the 2003-04 season featured 31 ECHL teams (to the NHL's then 30).
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:06 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Incorrect -- see my prior post. The ECHL can (and already has in the past) gone over the NHL's number of teams.
I know, but much like the AHL the ECHL just seems, to me at least, interested in becoming a fully-fledged sole AA-minor league right now, so my gut is just telling me that their interest is for a 1:1:1 ratio and keep it at that moving forward.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I know, but much like the AHL the ECHL just seems, to me at least, interested in becoming a fully-fledged sole AA-minor league right now, so my gut is just telling me that their interest is for a 1:1:1 ratio and keep it at that moving forward.
Its a shame we (and the E) have to wait another year for the CHL to collapse before putting this logical evolution of professional hockey into effect. Everybody on this board seems to see the writing on the wall as far as the ECHL becoming the exclusive 'AA' hockey league, yet we still have Duane Lewis pretending the future is bright...

Old
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
Everybody on this board seems to see the writing on the wall as far as the ECHL becoming the exclusive 'AA' hockey league, yet we still have Duane Lewis pretending the future is bright...
Try having Duane Lewis as the owner of the only team in your market. Whatever slim chance the Mallards had of making it out of the abyss quickly vanished when Lewis grabbed the reins. He demoted QC's only decent front office person (Ryan Simmons) to the point where Simmons took a better position elsewhere.

The CHL is not only making it tough for AA hockey to consolidate, but it's ruining the product in markets that needed serious help. Lewis is doing all of this to keep his rickety ship afloat for another season. He couldn't care less what those actions do to the sport in a broader context.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:42 AM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Not after the Fort Wayne owners acquired the name and used it to rebrand the UHL and limp along another 2 years. That two years did, IMO, a lot more damage to the name's brand and legitimacy. Leave it where it is for a while longer, is my thinking.
The Frankes were able to get three years out of the IHL rebranding effort.

2007-08, 2008-09, and 2009-10. I have personal experience with the third and last season. It was an unfortunate attempt to keep something alive that should've been allowed to die with dignity.

...Much like the CHL is doing now.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:12 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

It's official. The Blues exercised an option in their lease with the Peoria Civic Center. The Rivermen are leaving Peoria.

http://www.pjstar.com/rivermen/x1037...en-are-leaving

Last edited by FrancoRussianAlaskan: 03-29-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 05:02 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

I wonder if the ECHL and CHL will race each other to place a replacement team into Peoria for 2013-14? Or if there are still more moves on the AHL level that might bring in a replacement team?

Old
03-29-2013, 05:03 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
I wonder if the ECHL and CHL will race each other to place a replacement team into Peoria for 2013-14? Or if there are still more moves on the AHL level that might bring in a replacement team?
Article indicates the city wants to retain hockey.

I doubt they'll be able to find an AHL franchise to relocate, which means they'd have to find an ECHL or CHL franchise.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:16 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:

I doubt they'll be able to find an AHL franchise to relocate, which means they'd have to find an ECHL or CHL franchise.
Unless those Houston or Portland lease issues fail to get resolved -- that's two franchises right there that could be targets for a Peoria-based effort.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Unless those Houston or Portland lease issues fail to get resolved -- that's two franchises right there that could be targets for a Peoria-based effort.
I've heard the Wild are looking heavily at Des Moines, so I don't see the Aeros going to Peoria. Des Moines is about 4 hours from Saint Paul, so the geographical alignment works better there than it does in Peoria. With Des Moines having more Wild fans in their region, I think that might help with generating local fan interest.

I don't know much about Portland's situation. Peoria has had decent attendance, but they were always rumored to be on the chopping block...even back when the Quad Cities had AHL hockey. A move to the ECHL would be Peoria's safest bet, IMO.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Kanka

Quote:

Hey, don't forget the FHL

I am sure the Kirnan's and Soskin have already made a phone call about their single 'A' league's success in the Northeast. With the size of Peoria's rink, the FHL could fit 3 franchises in there, with room to spare when another team folds during the season.

Old
03-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

Quote:

Peoria has ECHL ties so, I can see this happening. Please God, No CHL or FHL

Old
03-31-2013, 10:47 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:

IHL folded in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...gue_(19452001)

Old
03-31-2013, 03:58 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
and then came back under Michael Franke.

Old
03-31-2013, 04:31 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
It was mentioned that the WCHL folded before the IHL, which is what I was referring to. I know the IHL eventually came back, but that wasn't for another 6 years after the original had folded.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:40 PM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
I think Franke conveniently borrowed the IHL name so the UHL rebranding effort had some gravitas. The Franke-run IHL was in no way close to capturing the spirit of the original league which bore that name.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:30 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

vCash: 323
Vancouver Canucks purchase Peoria franchise

Link

Old
04-02-2013, 06:05 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I think the Jackals are done:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...ena-settlement

http://www.wetmtv.com/mostpopular/st..._fTXUCHSw.cspx

I cant see Afr playing in a rink he doesn't own the way he operates no incentive and his asking price i'm sure isn't gunna be cheap.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:24 PM
mk80

A thought that just occurred to me...

The Jackals could possibly be playing next year, if a ownership group or collaboration from Peoria comes along who might be willing to take on the ownership/ transfer of the Jackals.

Like I said just a random thought that popped into my head..

Closed Thread