HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Prospect Index 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Pursuit of passion; Zemgus Girgensons determined to create his own legacy:
Quote:
According to his current head coach Chadd Cassidy, Girgensons is already “a man” at 19 years old.

“He’s well advanced in terms of physical development for a 19 year-old kid. He’s a man physically, very strong, strong on the puck and that plays into his attributes of the game. He plays really hard, at a fast pace, very physical, takes guys of the puck and attacks the net.”

But, what separates Girgensons from the competition is his drive – he’s simply more determined to succeed than anyone else.

“There is something inside of me,” says Girgensons. “But really, I just want my family, my grandma, my country and my team to be proud of me and that is what gives me the drive to work beyond my limits. And, there is always something to prove, especially proving critics wrong.”

Girgensons isn’t just talk – his weight room sessions are notorious and the only thing on the ice later than him is the Zamboni.

In fact, Cassidy has to reel Zemgus in at times.

“You don’t have to ask him to do something twice,” says Cassidy. “He’s more of the type of guy you have to tell to tone things down a bit. He loves getting in the weight room and he loves to work. Sometimes you have to kick him off the ice so he’s not getting tired.”
Quote:
“We were actually just talking about that the other day,” Cassidy opined. “He plays a lot like Brendan Morrow, he’s hard-nosed, and he goes into those dirty area and gets those gritty goals. I think he’s an old school guy...a guy that’s going to be physical on the forecheck.”

Old
03-22-2013, 06:51 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
For those that watch Girgensons on a regular basis... Does the above^ sound exactly like you see him in Rochester?

Could he contribute as early as next season in Buffalo? Too early?

Old
03-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Oan

Armia with 2 goals today in playoffs.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
For those that watch Girgensons on a regular basis... Does the above^ sound exactly like you see him in Rochester?

Could he contribute as early as next season in Buffalo? Too early?
I haven't seen every Amerks home game, though I have seen a good chunk of them (both live and on TWC.) Girgenson's definitely has the intangibles. He has a big body, plays strong on the boards, doesn't seem to slack during his shifts, and hits like a truck. He also seems to have the makings of a good defensive player. His offensive game has improved as the year has gone on (particularly post concussion), but it's still too early to know exactly what kind of tools he has there. I suspect second line at best, more likely third line.

He has a lot of developing left to do though, and I see no way he's ready to play in the NHL next year. Keep in mind that most draftees play two more years in juniors, then an additional year (or three) in the AHL. I'd think Girgensons gets at least two full AHL years, possibly more. He's still a teenager adjusting to a pro men's game. If he stays at wing, he may be ready sooner. If they move him back to center, then I would think it takes slightly longer. He has the makings of a 2/3 two-way winger or an elite 3rd center. But things inevitably change, so don't quote this if in a few years he's a fourth line grinder or the next Ryan Kesler.

I see why the Sabres wanted him after drafting Grigorenko, though. He's a solid bet to play in the NHL, a potential leader,and full of intangibles. He's safe, whereas Grigs is the gamble...the kid that could be an elite No. 1 center based on skill but may lack in other areas. They balance each other well.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
XO

vCash: 180
Linus Ullmark invited to play for Swedish national team!

I've never posted about Ullmark here I think, but I just wanted to say that he's been absolute beast for us (I'm a MODO fan) when he has played. In my opinion he's got everything to become a great goalie - size, very good technique and the mentallity.

I just hope you dont bring him over to NA too soon because he's in a great position with MODO right now. We have a great goalie coach in Maciej Szwoch, but also Ian Clarke of Columbus Blue Jackets that works together with Maciej Szwoch and the goalies.

Last edited by XO: 03-25-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 11:25 PM
McTank

Another 3 point game for grigs, 12 points in 4 total games since demotion. To good for Q but not good enough for the show :/

Old
03-26-2013, 11:26 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Armia comes in at #32 in HF's spring rankings, whatever weight you give those

Old
03-26-2013, 11:35 PM
jfb392

Makarov and the Blades are looking at a six week training camp, as they are on the verge of being swept in the first round of the WHL playoffs but will still be included in the Memorial Cup as the host team.

They're a disgrace and should be stripped of the right to play in the tournament, but it unfortunately won't happen..

Old
03-26-2013, 11:44 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
They're a disgrace
really

Old
03-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Another 3 point game for grigs, 12 points in 4 total games since demotion. To good for Q but not good enough for the show :/
So what's he at, 8 points in 3 games? It's alright I suppose.

DOMINATE GRIGS BE GREAT!!!

Old
03-26-2013, 11:58 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
really
I don't know if you're agreeing or questioning it, but if you're questioning it, they absolutely are.
Memorial Cup hosts are selected because they will have competitive teams (and they load up if they're not quite there) and the Blades were mostly a joke outside of the massive winning streak.

It's not even like Shawinigan being knocked out in the second round in seven last year (a series that could have went either way)..

Old
03-27-2013, 12:01 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

Quote:
I don't know if you're agreeing or questioning it, but if you're questioning it, they absolutely are.
Memorial Cup hosts are selected because they will have competitive teams (and they load up if they're not quite there) and the Blades were mostly a joke outside of the massive winning streak.

It's not even like Shawinigan being knocked out in the second round in seven last year (a series that could have went either way)..
I'm just saying unless they're near last place it's hardly a disgrace. You make it sound like the system is collapsing

Old
03-27-2013, 12:08 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:

Well they won so....

Old
03-27-2013, 12:08 AM
jfb392

Quote:
I'm just saying unless they're near last place it's hardly a disgrace. You make it sound like the system is collapsing
They were hovering around last place for much of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Well they won so....
I said that this isn't like Shawinigan, bud.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:10 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

Quote:
They were near last place for much of the year.
Sure, but they are what their record says. Those wins are just as legitimate strung together as they would be broken apart.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:11 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Sure, but they are what their record says. Those wins are just as legitimate strung together as they would be broken apart.
Watch them play a game and you will agree that they are not deserving of their 2nd place finish at all.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:12 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

Quote:
Watch them play a game and you will agree that they are not deserving of their 2nd place finish at all.
Fair enough. I'll have to wait a few weeks by the sound of it

Old
03-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Blades are overrated, unless you're high on Ferland, Stransky or L. Sutter .. only player worth a damn is Siemens IMO .. from what I've seen (~12 games), they can be a mess defensively, so Makarov has to make too many saves and when he doesn't, they get scored on in bunches and then he gets yanked to send a message to the team .. Medicine Hat swept them last year in the playoffs and they still have Valk and Shinkaruk, so I'm not shocked history's repeating itself .. but sure, in hindsight, Red Deer would put forth the better Memorial Cup team, maybe could have even argued it back then, but Saskatoon has the larger venue/population when compared to Red Deer or Kelowna (also in a 3-0 hole BTW, but minus the reinforcements) and these decisions are often about the easy money.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Zeitung

Ässät won KalPa 2-0 in home in the 5th game and qualified to the semis. First time since 2006 and second time in 21st century. Armia 2+1 in 5 games. Could have a lot more points(Savinainen, his line mate has shot ~40times without scoring). Although not producing too much Armia has played very good/excellent games expect for the 4th match which the team lost 5-0 in Kuopio. Today he was good, protecting the puck well and greating scoring chances, didn't get good scoring chances for himself though.

Ässät's opponent will be either Jokerit(1st in the rs) or JYP(3rd). Last season JYP destroyed Ässät 4-0 in the quarter finals.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:57 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
So what's he at, 8 points in 3 games? It's alright I suppose.

DOMINATE GRIGS BE GREAT!!!
8 points in 3 playoff games + 4 points in one season game. But you know russian, playoff choker, he's not trying when its important

Old
03-28-2013, 01:07 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

Grigs comes in at #14 in HF's spring rankings (Armia #32). Again, YMMV

Old
03-28-2013, 01:38 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Grigs now has 14 points in 5 games back in the Q.
10 points in 4 games in the playoffs.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Other than his three-assist effort in Game 2, it sounds like Catenacci is having a rough go of it against the Soo. He's yet to score a goal in four games, and he has just one non-empty net even-strength point so far. Have to wonder if he's getting shut down by '13 prospect Darnell Nurse.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
joshjull

jfb

Am I wrong in assuming Makarov gets shelled most nights? I ask because it seemed like that was a frequent theme with his updates and fits with your description of the Blades.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Putting up points does not mean dominating play. SC74's word on the matter holds solid weight with me since she actually watches the kid play in these games. Clearly there are still areas of his game he must address.