HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dumont in, Ribeiro out ? (idea)

Old
08-09-2006, 09:57 PM
DisturbedPO

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DisturbedPO
Dumont in, Ribeiro out ? (idea)

I don't think Ribeiro will be around this year, in Montreal.

He's not at all Carbo's type of guy! I know Dumont isn't either, but a little more, nonetheless!

So, this is my idea... Why not sign Dumont for 2M$/year and trade Ribeiro to whoever will take him.. Only 100k difference in salary.

I'm pretty sure Higgins or Plekanec could fill in nicely at center...

Comments ?

DisturbedPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 09:59 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
If Ribs is not a Carbo type of guy...why did we resign him?

Old
08-09-2006, 09:59 PM
DerekT

I'm SHOCKED someone thought of this, and posted it on hfboards

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:05 PM
znk

Yeah that's pretty much what I posted in the Dumont thread except I didnt talk about what Gainey and Carbo would think about it.
I think this could be interesting.
Ryder-Koivu-Dumont (well...I'm not so sure now...Dumont and Ryder both suck defensivly.)
Samsonov-Higgins-Kovalev
I think Higgins is a better fit on this line because I feel Kovalev and Samsonov need more an intense guy that will drive the net to open up some room and also grab rebounds and work the puck out of the boards then they need a play maker.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:05 PM
DisturbedPO

Send a message via MSN to DisturbedPO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
I'm SHOCKED someone thought of this, and posted it on hfboards

I'm pretty sure somebody else wrote the same idea in the big Dumont thread, but I got lazy and didn't want to read it until the end..

DisturbedPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Yeah they did but seriously Gainey paid Ribs some big money...from what I believe he is going to give him a shot with two very high quality players.

Ribeiro did finish the season off well and was all right in the playoffs he was just not strong enough in front of the net and did miss a plethora of chances to score.
Let us all hope that this is his bust out year!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Shabutie

NOR Higgins NOR Kovalev will play at the center position for as long as they are in this orginization. I guarantee it. Proof is simple....Playoffs vs Carolina 2005-06.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedPO View Post
I'm pretty sure somebody else wrote the same idea in the big Dumont thread, but I got lazy and didn't want to read it until the end..

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

we can have a rumour about a d-man coming to montreal and people would have plans of moving him to center so they can ship ribeiro.

JP is a winger.

Stop being so hard on mikey. He's not the greatest 2nd lin center, but he's not the worst either. Time will solve this issue. You dont have to make a rash decision with Mikey. Bob will handle it.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Yeah that's pretty much what I posted in the Dumont thread except I didnt talk about what Gainey and Carbo would think about it.
I think this could be interesting.
Ryder-Koivu-Dumont (well...I'm not so sure now...Dumont and Ryder both suck defensivly.)
Samsonov-Higgins-Kovalev
I think Higgins is a better fit on this line because I feel Kovalev and Samsonov need more an intense guy that will drive the net to open up some room and also grab rebounds and work the puck out of the boards then they need a play maker.
Great minds think alike. Me on the 7th page you on the 10th.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 06:38 AM
flappuck

If someone was to be moved to center, it would be Johnson...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Puckhead58*

I think Ribeiro and Kovalev had great chemistry last year, they threw the puck around nicely and created some great scoring chances so now with Samsonov on the other wing to feed, Ribs should have a great year. If he doesn't put up good numbers in the first half of the season, then ship him out. The only thing I dislike about Ribs is his no-care attitude. He doesn't work hard enough to win the little battles that he should be winning. All he would have to do is work a little harder and be a little tuffer on his skates and he would flourish.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
So because you can't be bothered to read the existing thread, you felt the need to clutter up our boards with a duplicate thread?

I look forward to this thread being merged into the other one, which will screw up the conversation flow for roughly the 12th time in the last couple of days.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 10:48 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Why, exactly, would we move a centre so we can bring in a winger? Who would play centre on the second line? Higgins (having played all last season at wing) and Plekanec (though a better idea) can't fill those shoes. And which line would Dumont play on, the third? Or move Ryder to the checking line? The proposed idea lacks any kind of thought.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Maxpac

those would be my lines

Higgins-Koivu-Dumont
Sammy-Johnson-Kovalev
Perezhogin-Pleckanek-Kostytsin
Murray-Bonk-Bégin

trade Ryder for an off. Defensmen, Dumont is a better finisher and better passer... Higgnis needs to stay with Koivu for now, unless you put him on the third line with Pleckanek and Perezhogin and give Kost a real chance.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:08 AM
yukoner

Quote:
I don't think Ribeiro will be around this year, in Montreal.

He's not at all Carbo's type of guy! I know Dumont isn't either, but a little more, nonetheless!

So, this is my idea... Why not sign Dumont for 2M$/year and trade Ribeiro to whoever will take him.. Only 100k difference in salary.

I'm pretty sure Higgins or Plekanec could fill in nicely at center...

Comments ?
Much better idea to let Johnson play center, and keep higgins on wing, but drop him down to the 3rd line with Pleks.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Pascal

let's trade everyone for wayne gretzky. he'll play all the positions. we could keep one or two players to distract the opposition while gretz does 360s across the ice and scores with his head upside down.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:12 AM
BigTimer*

Ribs and Streit for Vishnevski... or just a bag of pucks.

sign Dumont

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Plekanec-Kovalev
Perezhogin-Johnson-Dumont
Murray-Bonk-Begin
-------------------
Downey-Ferland

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Vishnevski-Dandenault
-------------------
Cote

IR- Bouillon

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:22 AM
zzoo

Can Dumont become a transformed player, like Martin St.Louis or Daniel Briere ? Who knows !?!?

At some point, St. Louis is not wanted at all. Briere was a very ordinary player before last year.
St.Louis stats (before 2003-04):
02-03: 82 gp - 70 pts
01-02: 53 gp - 35 pts
00-01: 78 gp - 40 pts

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Why, exactly, would we move a centre so we can bring in a winger? Who would play centre on the second line? Higgins (having played all last season at wing) and Plekanec (though a better idea) can't fill those shoes. And which line would Dumont play on, the third? Or move Ryder to the checking line? The proposed idea lacks any kind of thought.
If we wanted Dumont we need to free him a spot on 1st or 2nd line wing, right?

Who is your weakest link among Koivu, Kovalev, Samsonov, Ryder, Ribeiro and Higgins?

Higgins is a natural center, drafted as one and moved to the wing because we had a jam in that position. I dont see how he couldnt return to that position, with the Carbonneau and Jarvis coaching. Hes actually still one of the better faceoff men we have on the team and does have playmaking skills to put 1:1 goals/assists type of numbers. Imagine one of the following:

Samsonov Koivu Kovalev
Dumont Higgins Ryder

OR

Ryder Koivu Kovalev
Samsonov Higgins Dumont

OR

Samsonov Higgins Kovalev
Dumont Koivu Ryder

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
If we wanted Dumont we need to free him a spot on 1st or 2nd line wing, right?

Who is your weakest link among Koivu, Kovalev, Samsonov, Ryder, Ribeiro and Higgins?

Higgins is a natural center, drafted as one and moved to the wing because we had a jam in that position. I dont see how he couldnt return to that position, with the Carbonneau and Jarvis coaching. Hes actually still one of the better faceoff men we have on the team and does have playmaking skills to put 1:1 goals/assists type of numbers. Imagine one of the following:

Samsonov Koivu Kovalev
Dumont Higgins Ryder

OR

Ryder Koivu Kovalev
Samsonov Higgins Dumont

OR

Samsonov Higgins Kovalev
Dumont Koivu Ryder
Since when did we have a jam at center? Higgins was converted to a winger because his game is much better suited to play on the wing.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

And in every one of those situations, you've got at least one player out of their position (Dumont's a right winger). Dumont isn't such an improvement over what we have to detriment another player on the team. Also, Higgins, though a natural centre, hasn't played the position consistently in 2 years, and would require all of traning camp, if not more, to get readjusted to it.

Also, who's to say that Higgins will be able to produce from centre. A large part of his production last season was the complement of Koivu and Ryder, not creating goals by himself. Signing Dumont is just going to create another logjam which we currently don't have; and also prevent youth from coming up from Hamilton.

I just don't see it the way you do.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Since when did we have a jam at center? Higgins was converted to a winger because his game is much better suited to play on the wing.
No...because he was a rookie and deserved to play on the top 2 lines. He wasnt going to replace Koivu right? And if he was going to take Ribeiro's spot where do you put Ribeiro? So the logical solution was to move him to the wing.

Old
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
And in every one of those situations, you've got at least one player out of their position (Dumont's a right winger). Dumont isn't such an improvement over what we have to detriment another player on the team. Also, Higgins, though a natural centre, hasn't played the position consistently in 2 years, and would require all of traning camp, if not more, to get readjusted to it.

Also, who's to say that Higgins will be able to produce from centre. A large part of his production last season was the complement of Koivu and Ryder, not creating goals by himself. Signing Dumont is just going to create another logjam which we currently don't have; and also prevent youth from coming up from Hamilton.

I just don't see it the way you do.

I does not prevent youth from coming up if you for example trade Ribs for some draft pick and bring in Dumont. We still end up with the same number of players. Except you have one more draft pick in your bank.

Old
08-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Kafka

Makes no sense to me. We currently have on our roster a big and slow center (Bonk), one that doesn't see things properly (Koivu), a semaphore (Plekanec) and an energy guy that won't play 20 min/game (Bégin). How can you get rid of an offensive center in that situation?

The team has several wingers. If Gainey decides to sign Dumont (won't happen), he will need to trade a winger + player for a better one. If Samsonov wasn't signed, Dumont would be in Montreal right now. Sadly, the roster is already crowded.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote