HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homer Lavy bye/bye

Old
03-27-2013, 01:52 AM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
Id let hextall hire whoever he wanted as coach. i think its kinda pointless to fire lavy and not holmgren

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:03 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
how exactly is this?

We are pretty young.

We paid a heavy price for our cup flirtation and the pronger fluke injury pretty much derailed everything.

There wasnt much to go after besides the top 2 guys in past ufa.
yes they are pretty young. But at the same time questions are going to have to be made of the makeup of this team. its a flawed team. Maybe I overstated my feelings due to my extreme frustration with the way this season has gone. Changes need to be made and not just on the ice.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:04 AM
CavemanLawyer

Ha, Homer got nothing good over last years FA so fire him... ********... He is not all to blame on this. That is Lavy. Let us repeat: Homer told Lavy to adjust the system to better use the players as he wasn't able to land any players in FA that would fit his system and Lavy said no. Straight up no to the GM. At that point all blame is on him. He has misused every asset on this team and it has gotten to the point even Milbury and Jones literally laugh at the teams system.

Do they laugh at the players? **** no: they laugh at the down right hilarious **** the players are being told to do. Homers job is to get the best players available. Lavy is to use them to maximize the value. Homer went big and failed and got some side ****... So fire him? Haha. No. Fire the guy who's trying to use gervais as a pinching offensive puck moving rushing d man. Not the person who brought him in, over one crappy FA period.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:14 AM
duffy9748

Organization is heading in the wrong direction? Lets take a step back and look at the young core of this team.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:19 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Ha, Homer got nothing good over last years FA so fire him... ********... He is not all to blame on this. That is Lavy. Let us repeat: Homer told Lavy to adjust the system to better use the players as he wasn't able to land any players in FA that would fit his system and Lavy said no. Straight up no to the GM. At that point all blame is on him. He has misused every asset on this team and it has gotten to the point even Milbury and Jones literally laugh at the teams system.

Do they laugh at the players? **** no: they laugh at the down right hilarious **** the players are being told to do. Homers job is to get the best players available. Lavy is to use them to maximize the value. Homer went big and failed and got some side ****... So fire him? Haha. No. Fire the guy who's trying to use gervais as a pinching offensive puck moving rushing d man. Not the person who brought him in, over one crappy FA period.
You're right. Laviolette should be leaning on Coburn to be the primary puck-mover this team craves. Oh, yeah, he is abysmal this season (more than normal) at carrying the puck. Maybe Grossmann or Schenn could? No, that wouldn't be maximizing their value. If only this team had a young defenseman with some offensive upside they could call up from Adirondack. Someone who has gotten his feet wet with the Flyers and hasn't looked completely lost. Who would that be?

Funny, though, that McGuire was calling out the players for not executing, and I didn't hear Jones or Milbury giving the players a free pass.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:31 AM
TheLegendkiller

How has nobody just lost their **** and just attacked somebody on the other team on the ice? I've seen that quite a few times. Teams do ******, eventually you get to that boiling point game where Carcillo punches out Matt Bradley or something. Surprised I haven't seen it yet.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:22 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Homer stays. Other teams envy us in that we have a gm who has balls of steel, who is willing to do what it takes to give this team what it needs.
A ballsy GM is not necessarily a good GM. He is a gambler that's for sure. I think he's taken this team close, but we're sliding back down the hill. Time for a full clean, and I hope they bring in people from the outside. I'd actually really like to see Hextall in here. LA has done things right.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Reduxs

Tough to blame Holmgren for Pronger's career coming to a premature end, and us only really getting one good year out of him. He traded Sbisa and two firsts to make that happen, and we need to look no further than that trade to see why we're in the position we're in. We're no doubt a playoff team this year, and could've gone further last year, had Chris Pronger been in the lineup.

Has Homer made a bad move or two? Sure, the Versteeg trade stands out to me as one of them, and his handling of this past offseason was another. But overall I think he's done a good job.

Reduxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:54 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxs View Post
Tough to blame Holmgren for Pronger's career coming to a premature end, and us only really getting one good year out of him. He traded Sbisa and two firsts to make that happen, and we need to look no further than that trade to see why we're in the position we're in. We're no doubt a playoff team this year, and could've gone further last year, had Chris Pronger been in the lineup.

Has Homer made a bad move or two? Sure, the Versteeg trade stands out to me as one of them, and his handling of this past offseason was another. But overall I think he's done a good job.
I dunno if Pronger would have made a dif, he's what now, 37-38? even with his exp and hockey smarts, his physical skills would be deteriorating, much like Kimmo

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:07 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't see Homer going anywhere this season. Whether you agree with it or not, I think Ed Snider is happy with the job Homer has done. Lavy I think is walking on very thin ice, though.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't see how anyone can think Holmgren has done a great job when the team gets worse every year while the guys he gets rid of go on to be successful for their new teams.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:32 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I definitely think lavi is more to blame for this particular season than homer. There are teams doing much better than we are with worse teams on paper.

I don't think homer gets a pass by any means, I just think that this is more on laviolettes moronic system than anything homer could have done.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
JustJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Pretty much this. They fire Homer they'll just bring in another old Flyer to be a puppet again.
This is so true. However, Holmgren definitely needs to go! He doesn't seem to have a clue about assembling a team.

JustJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't see how anyone can think Holmgren has done a great job when the team gets worse every year while the guys he gets rid of go on to be successful for their new teams.
I don't see how anyone can think that the team gets worse every year...

Went from worst season in history to conference finals. Then a tough loss to eventual Cup champions. Then Lost in the Cup Finals. Then a loss in the second round to the eventual Cup winners (winning the Atlantic Division for the first time in years). Then losing in the second round to the eventual Eastern Conference Champs. Then this year, which is a disaster.

You may not like the outlook for the future, but saying the team has gotten worse every year is 100% inaccurate.

Also, while some of the guys he has gotten rid of have been successful, so have many of the guys he has acquired.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:53 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I doubt anyone is envious of us right now. A underachieving team with a lousy built defense and a inconstant goaltender.
He went all in on all the big time free agents and fell short and we were left with Fedotenko and Gervais. The organization is headed in the wrong direction. But in the end I doubt he fires good old boy Holmgren. He wouldnt fire Clarke. Holmgren will likely leave on his own terms. Like Clarke did.
I just don't see the reason to ax Homer for a single underachieving season.

Homer brought Bryz here with the best of intentions. He did one of the only two things left that hadn't been done to the goalie position. He paid big bucks for what was suppose to be a franchise guy.

Idk what anybody wants Homer to say? Sorry it didn't work out? Its not his fault Pronger got a career ending injury and the franchise goaltender crumbles under pressure.

The only thing I can fault Homer for is skipping on the back up position. Bringing Boosh and MFL back constantly is 100% on him.

Homer does however have a chance to make things right.

Buyout Bryz.

Pick up multiple new goaltending candidates. By new I mean fresh to the franchise (the only person I wouldn't mind seeing back is Bob). No more thinking "Well _____ guy did well in the past." Time to trim the fat. That is exactly what Boosh, MFL and Bryz are.

Last edited by hckyplayer8: 03-27-2013 at 09:13 AM.
hckyplayer8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
JustJim

Both should get the axe!

Lavy's system is plainly not working. The team is the most penalized team in the league, and that comes from being un disciplined. How often are they charged with too many men on the ice? That's more a coaching mistake than a players mistake.

Holmgren is an absolute disaster as GM! Potential is the only word that can be used for the players he traded for. Potential is not stardom. Potential can either be great, or just mediocre.
I can't remember the last time I saw the current Flyers score a short-handed goal. The reason? His best short handed threats are playing for the L.A. Kings (good job Hexy, for robbing your old team!).

Holmgren is Snider's puppet, just like Clarke was....so maybe Snider needs to keep his big nose out of the team's assembly as well!
Holmgren even sounds like Clarke whenever he's asked about assessing potential trades/drafts etc.

This team is a joke, and needs massive management changes to correct the problem....and they need to be done BEFORE THE DRAFT! I don't want that dolt to pick another center! Idiot!!

JustJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't see how anyone can think that the team gets worse every year...

Went from worst season in history to conference finals. Then a tough loss to eventual Cup champions. Then Lost in the Cup Finals. Then a loss in the second round to the eventual Cup winners (winning the Atlantic Division for the first time in years). Then losing in the second round to the eventual Eastern Conference Champs. Then this year, which is a disaster.

You may not like the outlook for the future, but saying the team has gotten worse every year is 100% inaccurate.

Also, while some of the guys he has gotten rid of have been successful, so have many of the guys he has acquired.
While all of Pronger's previous teams that he left all were sent into the abyss of irrelevance, the Pronger trade itself is ancient history at this point. That was almost 4 years ago.

What had been done each season to get better? The year we got Pronger we had to clinch a playoff berth on the last day of the season. It's been more the job of the coach that we've done as well as we have. This year we downgraded both our defense and offense. The year before we traded away two key cogs to the eventual Cup Champs in favor of a goaltender who may or may not be a malcontent.

The only year the team got better was the year we had an awful season and went on a spending spree. Every year after that, the team got worse from one off-season to the next. Don't give me that they lost to the Cup Champion Bruins, because the organization obviously didn't care. I don't want no division titles as a point of reference either. They're irrelevant. I don't even know if Flyers have the banner hanging in the building. Holmgren has not "won" an off-season in years. That's the time of the year the team gets better, we get worse.

And don't tell me "well, he tried to get Parise, and Suter and Weber." He didn't. Period. The fact he was chasing ghosts and got burned is a condemnation, not to his credit.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:23 AM
SilkyMitts

my vote is for Coatsey as next head coach. water bottles full of amstel light on the bench

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Ed Snider is more to blame than Holmgren. He put this franchise back years because of one single contract (Bryzgalov)

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:32 AM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I just don't see the reason to ax Homer for a single underachieving season.

Homer brought Bryz here with the best of intentions. He did one of the only two things left that hadn't been done to the goalie position. He paid big bucks for what was suppose to be a franchise guy.

Idk what anybody wants Homer to say? Sorry it didn't work out? Its not his fault Pronger got a career ending injury and the franchise goaltender crumbles under pressure.

The only thing I can fault Homer for is skipping on the back up position. Bringing Boosh and MFL back constantly is 100% on him.

Homer does however have a chance to make things right.

Buyout Bryz.

Pick up multiple new goaltending candidates. By new I mean fresh to the franchise (the only person I wouldn't mind seeing back is Bob). No more thinking "Well _____ guy did well in the past." Time to trim the fat. That is exactly what Boosh, MFL and Bryz are.
They should get a new goalie coach first and foremost. It's pathetic when franchises like Columbus and Phoenix have better goalie coaches than us.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:41 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
They should get a new goalie coach first and foremost. It's pathetic when franchises like Columbus and Phoenix have better goalie coaches than us.
This is so true. I do not know how our goalies can be so bad for years and we still have yet to find a better coach for the position

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
While all of Pronger's previous teams that he left all were sent into the abyss of irrelevance, the Pronger trade itself is ancient history at this point. That was almost 4 years ago.

What had been done each season to get better? The year we got Pronger we had to clinch a playoff berth on the last day of the season. It's been more the job of the coach that we've done as well as we have. This year we downgraded both our defense and offense. The year before we traded away two key cogs to the eventual Cup Champs in favor of a goaltender who may or may not be a malcontent.

The only year the team got better was the year we had an awful season and went on a spending spree. Every year after that, the team got worse from one off-season to the next. Don't give me that they lost to the Cup Champion Bruins, because the organization obviously didn't care. I don't want no division titles as a point of reference either. They're irrelevant. I don't even know if Flyers have the banner hanging in the building. Holmgren has not "won" an off-season in years. That's the time of the year the team gets better, we get worse.

And don't tell me "well, he tried to get Parise, and Suter and Weber." He didn't. Period. The fact he was chasing ghosts and got burned is a condemnation, not to his credit.
Why do people to this day STILL blame Holmgren for that? Trading Richards and Carter was an order from Snider. Signing Bryzgalov to a fat contract was an order from Snider. Holmgren was just following orders. Hell, the reason Holmgren had to trade Bob was because of our old, impatient ******** of an owner. Like I said earlier, it won't matter who the g.m. of this team is as long as Ed Snider is running this team.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Codith

This team is far from being a cup winner, sad but true, that could change with the right moves, but when does that ever happen here?

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:48 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

this was homer after last nights game.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Jgboys1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Organization is heading in the wrong direction? Lets take a step back and look at the young core of this team.
^^^This^^^

I think this team just needs to shore up the D and get better goaltending and we will be right back in the thick of things next season. I really like our young guns on offense. I hope we don't do anything dumb before the trade dead line.

Jgboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote