HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I can see that and I agree to an extent from what I've seen. When he gets hot, he looks amazing, but the Flyers don't want a guy who is only positionally sound.
Yeah, and those hot streaks have been too few.

03-26-2013, 10:29 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, and those hot streaks have been too few.
I know. I was just stating bro!

03-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Devastate

vCash: 500
Columbus is being outshot 25-8 and yet bob has kept the score tied through 2 periods.

Made a few STELLAR saves

Old
03-26-2013, 10:36 PM
WeekendAtBernies

I'm watching the Vancouver game right now and this Bobovsky or Boborovsky or Bobrofsky... however you spell it, this guy in goal for Columbus is pretty good.

He's got 25 saves on 25 shots through 2 periods. And the team is playing terrible in front of him; they've spent most of the game in their own end and they've only mustered 8 shots total against Vancouver.

It sure would be nice to have a guy like this Bob fellow in goal for the Flyers, instead of the Boob we've got in net right now.

But alas, that's just a pipe dream. I doubt any team would be foolish enough to let a young stud goalie like this go for anything less than multiple first round picks or at minimum a high first round pick.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Bobrovsky, number 1 cop in town.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:43 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
A few of their fans flat out told us Bryz's success was probably built on Phoenix's system. They pegged him as a size/positioning guy who relied on the team in front of him, and predicted he wouldn't do well on a team like Philly. I assumed they were just being negative and trying to bring him down after he left their team.
That is what I thought while watching the Detroit-Phx playoff series a couple years ago. He let in a lot of soft, terrible goals in that series as well despite playing in a defense first, goalie friendly sytem. Seems like a trend.

Who cares though? The whole team except Bryz gets the blame for losses and goals against. The blame falls on the system, the coach, the fans, the forwards and d-men, perfect shot, not playing enough, needs to get used to Philly, deflection, defensive breakdown, breakaway, not being able to score, playing too much, etc etc. So many others and things are blamed.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:38 PM
WeekendAtBernies

34 shots, 34 saves from Bobrovsky through 3 periods and OT.

EDIT: Bob could only stop 2 of 3 in the shootout, Columbus couldn't score, so it's an overtime loss.

Last edited by WeekendAtBernies: 03-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
34 shots, 34 saves from Bobrovsky through 3 periods and OT.
His defense must be playing SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!1!111!

Old
03-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Devastate

Bob just got another shut out, including a breakaway save in overtime. He was amazing all night. 34 saves.

No goal support though

Old
03-26-2013, 11:46 PM
iamcanadian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
His defense must be playing SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!1!111!
The only thing that makes me hate moving him and keeping our current goaltender more, is so many fans refusing to acknowledge it was and is a bad move. This team passed on a great goaltending prospect, and I wish the kid nothing but the best.

This organization needs to learn patience - and quit handing out ridiculous contracts - or it will never win.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:52 AM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i'd be fine with that. and let the guys here rip into another goalie. maybe then they'll realize that the issue is this teams frequent lack of hustle / desperation, poor coverage & turnovers ..... ALL of which were evident vs NYR.

[despite bad goal #4]
I'm not 100% defending him. In Philly he can be amazing or terrible. He just might not fit here like Homer hoped. I don't think Bryz ever goes nuts and puts up insane elite numbers but I see a team with better defense than us having a goalie who can keep them in games, for average money. He's not bad, but he's not great.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:01 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Didn't see the game live but judging by the recap it looked like a typical BUM game.

Initially looking good only to collapse like a house of cards.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:06 AM
BernieParent

I don't want to overread things, but on some of his movements, particularly after the many turnovers, Bryzgalov's movements suggested frustration. I'm thinking of a couple of plays where a turnover led to a shot from close in that missed the net. Bryzgalov got back up a bit slowly and the movement was like, "here we go again!"

Old
03-27-2013, 08:08 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I don't want to overread things, but on some of his movements, particularly after the many turnovers, Bryzgalov's movements suggested frustration. I'm thinking of a couple of plays where a turnover led to a shot from close in that missed the net. Bryzgalov got back up a bit slowly and the movement was like, "here we go again!"
I'd be frustrated too. He has been bad, but look at the team in front of him! It must be hard to be inspired to play your best for anyone on this team when you look around and see how defeated and piss-poor everyone else is playing.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:22 AM
MP92

I just hope to God they get Jeff Reese the hell out of this organization before Stolarz comes up. That kid has promise and I don't want to see it wasted. It's really sad and pathetic when teams like the Coyotes and Blue Jackets have better goalie coaches than us.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:27 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
I just hope to God they get Jeff Reese the hell out of this organization before Stolarz comes up. That kid has promise and I don't want to see it wasted. It's really sad and pathetic when teams like the Coyotes and Blue Jackets have better goalie coaches than us.
I don't think it is pathetic that teams have better coaches than us. There could be a large number of great goalie coaches. Maybe Sean Burke will leave Phoenix and we can get him

Old
03-27-2013, 08:28 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I can't beleive there are people here that still defend Bryz.

I think a lot of people here like Bryz because of his personality off the ice and are just too blind to see that he'll never live up to his potential on the ice.

Glad to see that Bob is having success in Columbus. Thanks Ed!

Old
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
snoop88

i dont think bryzgalov is the main problem

the defense in front of him sucks, the coaches message is stale, and its just one of those years where the gm poorly constructed the team. there are a lot of issues

but with that said, i dont understand people who feel the need to stick their heads in the sand and defend him.

why can't we be honest.

he. just. isn't. that. good. save for a fluke year in phoenix, he never has been. Homer and Snider made a severe mistake overvaluing him and his talents, paying him like he's patrick roy when in reality , he's a 2nd tier goalie on the wrong side of 30.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:39 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I can't beleive there are people here that still defend Bryz.

I think a lot of people here like Bryz because of his personality off the ice and are just too blind to see that he'll never live up to his potential on the ice.

Glad to see that Bob is having success in Columbus. Thanks Ed!
Count me as someone who likes Bryz's personality off the ice. I really want him to be successful with the Flyers just like at least 95% of the fanbase does. But unless he is going to play at the same level he played at the beginning of the season or close to it, he is not worth the 5.6 cap hit. I said it when we brought in Bryz and I will say it now, we would have been better off sticking with Bob and finding a decent veteran backup to help him develop. I think we definitely need to take a chance and acquire a young goaltender like Bernier or Bishop and buy out Bryz either this offseason or next.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:55 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

If Bryz was a legit starting goalie, regardless of how bad the team in front of him was, he would still be putting up decent numbers. Just look at all the goalies on non-playoffs teams that are still playing well:

-Holtby (.916 SA%)
-Miller (.911 SA%)
-Markstrom (.921 SA%)
-Rinne (.911 SA%)
-Lehtonen (.919 SA%)
-Bobrovsky (.930 SA%)
-Dubnyk (.917 SA%)
-Khabibulin (.941 SA%)

All these goalies are on teams sitting outside the playoffs right now. Compare that to Bryz: .898 SA%........but yes, keep defending Bryz and saying that it's the team in front of him thats 100% to blame for our struggles

Old
03-27-2013, 08:59 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Count me as someone who likes Bryz's personality off the ice. I really want him to be successful with the Flyers just like at least 95% of the fanbase does. But unless he is going to play at the same level he played at the beginning of the season or close to it, he is not worth the 5.6 cap hit. I said it when we brought in Bryz and I will say it now, we would have been better off sticking with Bob and finding a decent veteran backup to help him develop. I think we definitely need to take a chance and acquire a young goaltender like Bernier or Bishop and buy out Bryz either this offseason or next.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm another one that likes his personality off the ice. There's probably never a dull moment with him around. Unfortuantely, his great personality doesnt translate into consistent great play on the ice

Old
03-27-2013, 09:00 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
If Bryz was a legit starting goalie, regardless of how bad the team in front of him was, he would still be putting up decent numbers. Just look at all the goalies on non-playoffs teams that are still playing well:

-Holtby (.916 SA%)
-Miller (.911 SA%)
-Markstrom (.921 SA%)
-Rinne (.911 SA%)
-Lehtonen (.919 SA%)
-Bobrovsky (.930 SA%)
-Dubnyk (.917 SA%)
-Khabibulin (.941 SA%)

All these goalies are on teams sitting outside the playoffs right now. Compare that to Bryz: .898 SA%........but yes, keep defending Bryz and saying that it's the team in front of him thats 100% to blame for our struggles
Not saying 100%, but considering the power this team has and we've played 20 games where we've scored 2 or less, there are definitely problems other than Bryz, even though he is a problem.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop88 View Post
i dont think bryzgalov is the main problem

the defense in front of him sucks, the coaches message is stale, and its just one of those years where the gm poorly constructed the team. there are a lot of issues

but with that said, i dont understand people who feel the need to stick their heads in the sand and defend him.

why can't we be honest.

he. just. isn't. that. good. save for a fluke year in phoenix, he never has been. Homer and Snider made a severe mistake overvaluing him and his talents, paying him like he's patrick roy when in reality , he's a 2nd tier goalie on the wrong side of 30.
I think that's fair. Certainly the thought of Bryz being here for six more years at $5.67 million after next season ends seems untenable. He'll have to be bought out in the 2014 offseason, unless by some miracle a new coach comes in and the Flyers win the Cup.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Bryz is awesome guys. Come on. Don't you see he can't be good If the team in front of him isn't playing well.

I mean he is a legit goalie. He has a contract that shows it. If only the d was better, and the forwards supported him he wouldn't give up goals. I remember that goalie bob we had once, he wasn't great with his position but you can't teach that, nor can you teach never to give up on plays like he did so often.

Bryz is the real deal, he is in a cold spell, he will get it back together much like last year for that month he had, Remember... Come on guys have faith.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Not saying 100%, but considering the power this team has and we've played 20 games where we've scored 2 or less, there are definitely problems other than Bryz, even though he is a problem.
I'm not saying Bryz is hte main reason we're struggling. I'm just saying he isn't helping his cause.

Besides, what good is scoring more than 2 goals when Bryz is consistently giving up 3-4+ every night?

Closed Thread