HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

What is a Goal? Habs Lose 1-0

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 12:54 AM
  #226
Hackett
BAKAMAN
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,574
vCash: 500
As usual, the team jumped on their opponent early. The problem is that they didn't get any goals. I always get uncomfortable with this team when they don't get goals for their superior play.

As it turns out, the fear turned into reality, thanks to a great shot by the best player in the world.

I can't really blame the habs for this game. They played well, and I insist that they will win more games than they lose if they continue to play like they did against buffalo and in pittsburgh.

Certainly, this type of game was made for guys like Bourque and Prust, and I suspect that games will become more like this one as we head towards the playoffs, and this is when we start missing the guys who can show some strength around the boards, and maintain possession. If I had any criticism for the habs tonight, it was the inability for this team to maintain offensive zone pressure by getting knocked off the puck.


Last edited by Hackett: 03-27-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:26 AM
  #227
Habssince89
Drouin alright
 
Habssince89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
As usual, the team jumped on their opponent early. The problem is that they didn't get any goals. I always get uncomfortable with this team when they don't get goals for their superior play.

As it turns out, the fear turned into reality, thanks to a great shot by the best player in the world.

I can't really blame the habs for this game. They played well, and I insist that they will win more games than they lose if they continue to play like they did against buffalo and in pittsburgh.

Certainly, this type of game was made for guys like Bourque and Prust, and I suspect that games will become more like this one as we head towards the playoffs, and this is when we start missing the guys who can show some strength around the boards, and maintain possession. If I had any criticism for the habs tonight, it was the inability for this team to maintain offensive zone pressure by getting knocked off the puck.
Good post. I feel that under MT, this team responds to frustration with energy and some chippyness. Boston themselves should light a fire under the guys, but I think they knew they were the better team (who got unlucky) tonight. They'll be properly motivated. It's not like under JM, where the guys probably were frustrated more with the system that choked all offense away from them. Here its a matter of circumstance, and they know that MT wants aggression and pressure, allowing them the opportunity to come out firing again next 1st period and try to have a better result. It's much easier to come back from a game like this under MT, IMO.

Habssince89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:35 AM
  #228
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 14,109
vCash: 500
Don't understand why so man here are slagging on their team (at least the first couple of pages, didn't read through the rest).

I thought you were much superior to us for the first 40 minutes, whereas after Crosby's goal, we controlled the game better and obviously got better chances also as the Habs had to open up.

Should serve as a notice to Bylsma that if we play you guys in the playoffs, a change or two in personnel is called for, in order for us to skate with you better. On top of Malkin, obviously, that means playing Despres and Vitale also instead of some of the guys who can't skate with your exceedingly quick team. Personally I was more impressed with the Habs than the Bruins, and you even have two impact forwards out who will add some physicality to the mix also.

NB: I wish the Pens fans would stop booing P.K.
Staal is not with us anymore and it was an accident, however reckless it looked. He is awesome to watch, even if he still has a bone headed play now and then. Extremely dynamic.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:59 AM
  #229
StoneColdFlower*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
He will when Adolf Peladeau brings him back his Merdiques.
He's not that bad. I'm left of Mulcair (maybe even Libby Davies or Jean Michel Aussant) and his newspapers still publish my letters.

Ezra Levant is also one of Canada's best comedians.. His parody of old school reform / creditiste types is sublime. He's like that brilliant Rush Limbaugh impersonator who got himself elected mayor of Toronto.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:42 AM
  #230
Nicko999
Registered User
 
Nicko999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 500
Have people forgotten that Patches is a streaky player? He'll become a god again soon.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:13 AM
  #231
Alexdaman
Wolfman
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hell/Heaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Don't understand why so man here are slagging on their team (at least the first couple of pages, didn't read through the rest).

I thought you were much superior to us for the first 40 minutes, whereas after Crosby's goal, we controlled the game better and obviously got better chances also as the Habs had to open up.

Should serve as a notice to Bylsma that if we play you guys in the playoffs, a change or two in personnel is called for, in order for us to skate with you better. On top of Malkin, obviously, that means playing Despres and Vitale also instead of some of the guys who can't skate with your exceedingly quick team. Personally I was more impressed with the Habs than the Bruins, and you even have two impact forwards out who will add some physicality to the mix also.

NB: I wish the Pens fans would stop booing P.K.
Staal is not with us anymore and it was an accident, however reckless it looked. He is awesome to watch, even if he still has a bone headed play now and then. Extremely dynamic.
There.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:42 AM
  #232
Analyzer*
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
So, why do people want Subban and Markov out there for the whole 2 minutes ? When you have trouble setting up, it doesn't matter who the dman are. When you do get setup, everyone knows it's going to the point so they cut that off and our dumb midget forwards just cycle the puck in the corner until they lose it.

Even if we do get it back to the point there's no one in front of the net.

  Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:46 AM
  #233
Alexdaman
Wolfman
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hell/Heaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
So, why do people want Subban and Markov out there for the whole 2 minutes ? When you have trouble setting up, it doesn't matter who the dman are. When you do get setup, everyone knows it's going to the point so they cut that off and our dumb midget forwards just cycle the puck in the corner until they lose it.

Even if we do get it back to the point there's no one in front of the net.
We need Diaz back to have a chance to have a #2 unit out there. Beaulieu is now getting much better in Hamilton, it's probably early to have him on the roster, but perhaps we could switch him with Tinordi to give it a try.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:49 AM
  #234
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
We need Diaz back to have a chance to have a #2 unit out there. Beaulieu is now getting much better in Hamilton, it's probably early to have him on the roster, but perhaps we could switch him with Tinordi to give it a try.
There was an interview on 98,5; a responsible for the development of Defensemen of the Canadien, I think. Or a D-coach in Hamilton. Not sure.

He said Nathan still hasn't matured his positional play yet, and shouldn't be sent up.

Also said the one prospect that currently impresses him the most is Darren Dietz.

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:53 AM
  #235
JusticeBeaver
wuba luba dub dub!
 
JusticeBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 500
Came home at the 10 minute mark of the 2nd. It was all habs in term of puck possession, however there are still a few things to be desired.

PP obviously needs work. The passing is okay, but there's no vision of where to shoot and when. If we can't take advantage of PP's, the playoffs will be rough going.

Finish. Team need a finisher. We can work the boards and downlow passing as much as we want, but the habs still don't have that go-to (offensive) guy who you are very confident in, when he is on the ice. Doubt this will get addressed this year, but it has to happen. I've got a lot of hope in chucky to help in this department, but the kid is 19 and he is learning. Right now, he is focusing on his D game which is great to hear.

Overall, we battled the top team in the east and I think stood even ground for 2/3's of the game. Something we couldn't do last year so I will take it.

Is anyone else tired of seeing our captain getting pushed to the ice in every scrum? I want Gionta to be agitating but if he is our captain, I want him to turn around and put somebody in their place.

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:57 AM
  #236
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Came home at the 10 minute mark of the 2nd. It was all habs in term of puck possession, however there are still a few things to be desired.

PP obviously needs work. The passing is okay, but there's no vision of where to shoot and when. If we can't take advantage of PP's, the playoffs will be rough going.

Finish. Team need a finisher. We can work the boards and downlow passing as much as we want, but the habs still don't have that go-to (offensive) guy who you are very confident in, when he is on the ice. Doubt this will get addressed this year, but it has to happen. I've got a lot of hope in chucky to help in this department, but the kid is 19 and he is learning. Right now, he is focusing on his D game which is great to hear.

Overall, we battled the top team in the east and I think stood even ground for 2/3's of the game. Something we couldn't do last year so I will take it.

Is anyone else tired of seeing our captain getting pushed to the ice in every scrum? I want Gionta to be agitating but if he is our captain, I want him to turn around and put somebody in their place.
I want the Ultimate Coupe Longueuil!!

JAGR!!

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:58 AM
  #237
JusticeBeaver
wuba luba dub dub!
 
JusticeBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
There was an interview on 98,5; a responsible for the development of Defensemen of the Canadien, I think. Or a D-coach in Hamilton. Not sure.

He said Nathan still hasn't matured his positional play yet, and shouldn't be sent up.

Also said the one prospect that currently impresses him the most is Darren Dietz.
Tinordi made some gem defensive plays last night rushing players and cutting off passes. I really don't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

I've seen Beaulieu play and 100% agree with this. Position is not there. Skills show but he still has work to do.

Just as excited for next years crop of prospects (as this years) to make the leap. Get to see where Dietz is, and Kristo has been a long time coming.

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:17 AM
  #238
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,482
vCash: 500
I just heard on AC that Letang has been put back on the injury list as well.

Man, Fleury and Letang. This was a costly victory for the Pens

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:58 AM
  #239
McTusk
Registered User
 
McTusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 4,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRockyHorror View Post
I agree that we dominated tonight, however the the psychological impact inflicted when you lose games you "should" have won, can catch up to you and weigh down your game in the long run. That's what I'm worried about.
Meh, I don't think it's that big of a deal, this teams seems to have a lot of fight.

Ps - Excellent user name.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:52 AM
  #240
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
A few days ago (before the loss with Buffalo), Mathieu Darche at the Antichambre said something like "I wish them to win all the games from now on, but having a streak of losses now could actually be useful for them, facing and beating adversity and such. Better to have them now than in the series".

I kinda agree with him. The few losses we had this season did not feel that bad. I never once seen them actually giving up. You have a game with 4 posts (or 2 like yesterday) and where you dominate completely, you lose by one point. Happens - the important part is that they never actually folded.

I remember the Habs teams of the last few years would have completely gave up skating in the last 20. Yesterday in the third period we were not even as bad as it looked - we had to open up and the Pens are a good team who took advantage.

I really like how they played. This makes tonight's game even more important as a test. Imagine the scenario in the series: you just lost two games you should have won, because of bad luck. Now you go and face the enemy in his lair. I am more interested in seeing the level of intensity they will bring tonight than in the actual result. It's the 3rd game in the series and we lost the first two, despite being better - we'll see who we really are.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:57 AM
  #241
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 13,525
vCash: 500
First time all year we've lost 2 games in a row in regulation and both were by 1 goal. We'll turn it around soon, I'm not that worried.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:11 AM
  #242
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Yup, absolutely they are. That's why Cooke went after him. Total bs. I hope they watch that replay again. Gio did nothing. I bet the leaf fans will be having a love fest with the pens fans to put Gio on a stake. Idiots.
You know who else did nothing, giontas linemates. I agree that gionta did nothing wrong but to let Matt Cooke line up and repeatedly stick the team's captain when it was clear that gionta wanted nothing to do with Cooke. Where is the team pride? What message does it send that we allow a hack to go down two weight classes to give the business to our captain and no one says boo?

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:19 AM
  #243
JusticeBeaver
wuba luba dub dub!
 
JusticeBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 500
Because it was a tight game and a penalty was not what they needed right then?

The habs play disciplined hockey, grow a set, take a facewash/poke, shrug it off and keep going.

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
  #244
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Because it was a tight game and a penalty was not what they needed right then?

The habs play disciplined hockey, grow a set, take a facewash/poke, shrug it off and keep going.
Ho said anything about taking a penalty? A guy goes way below his weight class and tries to goad our captain into a fight repeatedly and no one says anything. I know gionta is no Crosby, but if Armstrong did that to Crosby, he doesn't get to skate away scott free irrespective of the score.

It must be nice to send a message to the captain that the teams support of him is conditional on the scoreboard. This wasn't marchand/sedin bad but if you want to know why the have get tarred with being soft, its stuff like that.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:19 AM
  #245
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon
 
Son Oncle Jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,536
vCash: 500
Tough to blame anyone after this loss. Though I guess Pacioretty could have won a couple more 1 on 1 battles and Desharnais could have flopped the puck a little less.

Might be time to test some other combinations. Maybe re-unite the two rookies...

Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:29 AM
  #246
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,418
vCash: 500
Everybody (who is panicking) take a deep breathe. We've lost 2 in row even though we've continued playing pretty well. We lost the last two games by 1 goal and outshot the opponent. The offence is in a little bit of a slump, but these things happen during the year. We're still playing great. All teams go through these slumps. Look at Anaheim at the moment, they've lost 3 in a row. Chicago had lost 2 in row before winning last night. We need this kind of adversity before the playoffs starts. We'll see how much character the boys have. Even if we lose tonight, most teams would. Back to back on the road in Pittsburgh and Boston is not an easy task.

We have a good team who will get better and better. Suprises happen in the playoffs, but lets be honest, who expected us to perform at this level so fast? We have good young players and the future looks bright. Don't jump off the bandwagon so fast...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:23 AM
  #247
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,851
vCash: 500
Although we didn't dominate the game, we played slightly better than them. If Ryder could convert his 2-3 scoring chances, we won that game.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:20 AM
  #248
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Better team lost again tonight. At what point do moral victories become not good enough?
never!
The fact is we are a team coming off a last place finish and all that this team has done all season is compete, and they compete with the best teams in the league, Boston, Pittsburg etc. This team is going to the playoffs with a great goalie, two of the best rookies this season, a stud on D. I'm happy with the turnaround and the future looks good.
The biggest complaint over the last decade is that we are always trying to sneak in the playoffs, well this year we have competed at the top almost all season. GO HABS

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:35 AM
  #249
WhiskeySeven*
Expect the expected
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 24,350
vCash: 500
I didn't catch the game but this slump of DD is exactly why I protested the extension at the time.

It's an overachieving season and we're extending two non-core players to raises - I don't understand why it just couldn't wait until we see how they perform in the POs. DD's had a lot of very bad games this season and it drags Patches down too. I want to split them up ASAP but we can't because... reasons. Put Patch with Galchenyuk and whatever and see what happens.

As for Gionta, well if your player can't hold his own physically against anyone, can barely pass or receive the puck and thinks half-heartedly shooting at the boards from the top of the circle is a scoring opportunity - he's probably the 5-million dollar captain of the Blue-Blanc-Rouge.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
  #250
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 26,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
We did not dominate this game. Most of our shots came with little or no traffic in front, Pittsburgh just cruised through this game sitting back and not making mistakes and got a goal from the best player in the game just when they needed it. Price played solid and was in no way the reason for our loss, I don't know how anyone could blame him. We are a small team and in games like this one you need some size and gritty players to do the dirty work to create scoring chances for the skilled guys. Until we find a balance between skill and size/grit we will often lose games like this one. The Pens have it all and you need it all to be considered a contender in the NHL. On to the slaughter house we go.
Similar song to the Sabres game. We looked like we dominated cause we outshot them but past our big 1st period push, when the opposition could withstand our attack, it started slowly to turn the other way around. And our D is not big or physical enough to stop guys like James Neil.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.