HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 06:15 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
It's not just that easy. IIRC, both of those guys have played wing before, but not since last season. You don't just switch them because you need to. You have to also do what's best for the player.
Lindholm will be a wing in the NHL. He has pretty much played there all season in the SEL. Mac has played RW plenty in his junior career. I wouldn't be hugely supportive of putting him on the RW, but he could do it and I doubt it would stunt his development much, if at all. Again that assumes that Stastny and ROR are both still around, which if we get Mac, Barkov, Monahan, etc. I doubt both are around.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
If we don't get the #1 or #2 pick I'd be listening to offers. I wonder if we could use that pick as the centerpiece of a deal for say Yandle or some other youngish minute munching dman. Would have to have term left on the dman's contract though or an agreement in place to extend.
Picks and prospects get overrated all the time on this board but in this case I think I would keep the pick rather than trading it for Yandle. He's a very good player (not great because he doesn't play big minutes in every situation) and he would probably be our best defenseman but he only has three years left on his contract after this season. All the Boston talk worries me and it would suck to lose a top prospect for a couple seasons of Yandle.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I don't think you trade your 1st rounders twice in three years, certainly not high 1st rounders, and especially with the prospect base as weak as it is right now.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:00 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I don't think you trade your 1st rounders twice in three years, certainly not high 1st rounders, and especially with the prospect base as weak as it is right now.
This. Exactly this. I get that we as a fanbase are desperate for playoff hockey or atleast some semblance of winning.
So trading our 1st for immediate help looks sexy.
But it would be wrong. Very wrong.

Avs traded last years 1st for Varlamov. We had two the year before but in 2011 we picked Hishon and his future is still pretty much in doubt unfortunately.
We are a rebuilding team who is nowhere close right now.
Maybe with a new coach we get closer. But the new division system does not help us. STL, CHI and MIN will al be better than the Avs next year.

Patience people.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:09 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
Quote:
definitely agree. drafting and developing is the key to our future success(along with firing Sacco).
trading a high first is not smart when our farm is in need of re-tooling.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:27 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
This. Exactly this. I get that we as a fanbase are desperate for playoff hockey or atleast some semblance of winning.
So trading our 1st for immediate help looks sexy.
But it would be wrong. Very wrong.

Avs traded last years 1st for Varlamov. We had two the year before but in 2011 we picked Hishon and his future is still pretty much in doubt unfortunately.
We are a rebuilding team who is nowhere close right now.
Maybe with a new coach we get closer. But the new division system does not help us. STL, CHI and MIN will al be better than the Avs next year.

Patience people.
I get the love and hype of draft picks on HF like an Unopened Christmas present, but

Where is the difference in risk vs benefit between trading and drafting?

-trading a 1st for another piece (pieces most likely) with a little more established history. Kulikov, Sekera, Nikitin, etc as just quick examples.

and

-taking 1 player who may or may not fit a need or have a more immediate impact that has yet to play a pro game

Either option carries certain risks.
Any player drafted could wind up being Hishon 2.0, or Hickey, or could be Kane or Hedman.

I doubt a trade happens, but the argument that we should all consider/accept that a top 5 pick as untradeable makes no sense to me as long as the value coming back is appropriate.

If GMs value top 5 picks as much as HF, a very good package should be easy to obtain.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Avs first rounders since the lockout.

Wolski (21st overall)
Stewart (18th overall)
Shattenkirk (14th overall)
Duchene (3rd overall)
Hishon (17th overall)
Landeskog (2nd overall)
Siemens (11th overall)

I think you might want to hang on to that first rounder with that track record. Especially if it's a top ten pick in a deep draft. I have full faith in Avs scouting staff.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:48 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Avs first rounders since the lockout.

Wolski (21st overall)
Stewart (18th overall)
Shattenkirk (14th overall)
Duchene (3rd overall)
Hishon (17th overall)
Landeskog (2nd overall)
Siemens (11th overall)

I think you might want to hang on to that first rounder with that track record. Especially if it's a top ten pick in a deep draft. I have full faith in Avs scouting staff.
As do I, but to me that would translate to their ability to evaluate any players in a trade as well.

Anything outside of top 3 should be shopped IMO, and if someone came extra strong for one in the top 3 I'd hope they listen then too. Could just be adding A young wing or LHD from a team wanting to move up, but worth evaluating.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
As do I, but to me that would translate to their ability to evaluate any players in a trade as well.

Anything outside of top 3 should be shopped IMO, and if someone came extra strong for one in the top 3 I'd hope they listen then too. Could just be adding A young wing or LHD from a team wanting to move up, but worth evaluating.
the problem with your theory is that we're not just one player away from being really good. we need high quality pieces that will allow us to continue to develop guys.
the only type of player that can turn us around and into a instant contender is not getting traded(Crosby,Ovy,Malkin,Stamkos & etc)
adding a nice vet doesn't help us when we're forking over a draft pick. Varly was one thing, he rectified a huge need.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:25 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Also IMO MacKinnon is MUCH more effective at centre than wing.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:31 PM
NWAvs

So how many teams can win the lottery? And how many spots would the Avs move down? One?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:38 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
So how many teams can win the lottery? And how many spots would the Avs move down? One?
Any non playoff team can win the lottery and yes if a team after the Avs won the lottery we would go down one spot.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=658503

Old
03-26-2013, 10:40 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
the problem with your theory is that we're not just one player away from being really good. we need high quality pieces that will allow us to continue to develop guys.
the only type of player that can turn us around and into a instant contender is not getting traded(Crosby,Ovy,Malkin,Stamkos & etc)
adding a nice vet doesn't help us when we're forking over a draft pick. Varly was one thing, he rectified a huge need.

While I do not think the Avs are 1 piece away from being dominant, I do think they are 2 pieces away from being very good. Neither of those pieces needs to be Elite like Malkin, Crosby etc.
(All under the assumption there is a coaching change)

I believe development can still occur in our 2nd round picks and later, as well as continued development of our current prospects. This team has shown good eyes for talent in those rounds.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:46 PM
NWAvs

An Avs fan? Thanks Joe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2S7HID7rEc

Old
03-26-2013, 11:55 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Lindholm has played wing this whole season. His cousin is his centerman, Calle Järnkrok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Lindholm has been winger this year in SEL. I think he was at wing in WJCs too.
Thanks guys. I had that backwards, apparently. Thought he was a former W playing C now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Lindholm will be a wing in the NHL. He has pretty much played there all season in the SEL. Mac has played RW plenty in his junior career. I wouldn't be hugely supportive of putting him on the RW, but he could do it and I doubt it would stunt his development much, if at all. Again that assumes that Stastny and ROR are both still around, which if we get Mac, Barkov, Monahan, etc. I doubt both are around.
I'm fine with moving a guy like MacKinnon to the wing, if he thinks that's good for him and the team thinks that's the best way to use him. With his speed, it would be a waste to have him on the wing.

Either way, I still think if we don't have a top 2 pick the position factor will need to have some say in who we take in the draft...especially if the kid is NHL ready.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:31 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott

watched lazar tonight, hit everything in sight, had to throw around 15 hits or so, im not exaggerating, if we could somehow nab him, i wouldn't imagine what him and downie on a line would look like.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:52 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
watched lazar tonight, hit everything in sight, had to throw around 15 hits or so, im not exaggerating, if we could somehow nab him, i wouldn't imagine what him and downie on a line would look like.
Also has played winger this year as well, but IMO like MacKinnon he is much better as centre than winger.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:11 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
starting this season, 14 teams. similar to the NBA lotto system.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:16 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Also has played winger this year as well, but IMO like MacKinnon he is much better as centre than winger.
yeah how about henrik samuelsson ? that was the first oil kings game i saw this year, and lazar looked much better than samuelsson, whom i thought might have looked better at center.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:40 AM
22FUTON9

either jones and drouin and I'm happy.

If we draft drouin a top six of

Drouin-Duchene-PAP
Landy-ROR-Hishon (hopefully)

will be insane.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by col9duchie View Post
either jones and drouin and I'm happy.

If we draft drouin a top six of

Drouin-Duchene-PAP
Landy-ROR-Hishon (hopefully)

will be insane.
Hell, to expand on that, a potential Top 9 down the road that includes:

McGinn - Sgarbossa - Downie

would be nasty.

And then we could move Stastny for a Dman.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I get the love and hype of draft picks on HF like an Unopened Christmas present, but

Where is the difference in risk vs benefit between trading and drafting?

-trading a 1st for another piece (pieces most likely) with a little more established history. Kulikov, Sekera, Nikitin, etc as just quick examples.

and

-taking 1 player who may or may not fit a need or have a more immediate impact that has yet to play a pro game

Either option carries certain risks.
Any player drafted could wind up being Hishon 2.0, or Hickey, or could be Kane or Hedman.

I doubt a trade happens, but the argument that we should all consider/accept that a top 5 pick as untradeable makes no sense to me as long as the value coming back is appropriate.

If GMs value top 5 picks as much as HF, a very good package should be easy to obtain.
In a more restrictive cap era where people are still apparently spending like morons, you have to get value out of good, cheap talent. Trading for a guy like Kulikov means you gotta pay him that much sooner.

If this team were very close to contending, sure, I could see it. But not when the team is still rebuilding, the salary cap becomes an issue as early as 2014, and the prospect base is weak. I want to see a GOOD year out of this team before they start taking shortcuts.

I'd be willing to bet you 9 times out of 10 any time a team has traded a high first-rounder for a player, they soon regretted it.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Also IMO MacKinnon is MUCH more effective at centre than wing.
I have seen him 10 times live in the last 10 years and and much more effective at centre.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
No way. Have you seen him play? Playing him on the wing is like having Backstrom or Giroux on the wing. He has never played on the wing before this season and he played center at the WJC. He will play center next season with Jarnkrok gone.

Closed Thread