HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GBU: No man's land.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Not only in play, but I think he's our most valuable asset to trade at this moment in regards to what he can return.
Most likely. He's the captain of a team that the leadership core is deeply suspect and has already gotten one coach dismissed. It's time to cure this core, and cure it with fire.

03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Wait, people haven't liked Leino?

He's been a ****ing bull with the puck and very creative.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Leino has been very good since returning. One of our few guys who looks like he belongs in the top 6 of an NHL team.

CoHo played 19 mins last night and didn't have a single shot attempt. That's your future captain and no. 1 center that we're going to build around? He's trade bait just like everyone else on this roster IMO.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:08 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Leino has been very good since returning. One of our few guys who looks like he belongs in the top 6 of an NHL team.

CoHo played 19 mins last night and didn't have a single shot attempt. That's your future captain and no. 1 center that we're going to build around? He's trade bait just like everyone else on this roster IMO.
You're going to use one game to justify trading Cody Hodgson? Come on dude.

You do NOT trade the blossoming center you JUST acquired. There is a LOT of dead weight and rotten core players you trade long before him.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
You're going to use one game to justify trading Cody Hodgson? Come on dude.

You do NOT trade the blossoming center you JUST acquired. There is a LOT of dead weight and rotten core players you trade long before him.
I would dangle him. Nobody here is untouchable, and as enamored as everyone is with him, he's not THAT good.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:19 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
I would dangle him. Nobody here is untouchable, and as enamored as everyone is with him, he's not THAT good.
Not that good? He's in his sophomore season and on pace for 70pts (over 82 games).

The ONLY issue you should have with him is defensively, and that CAN be fixed.

What are you going to get in exchange for him anyway that would make it worth taking a risk?

Old
03-27-2013, 09:21 AM
AirBriere48

Quote:

Seems sufficiently representative.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:21 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
You're really reaching here, dude. Rebuilding does not mean you trade every single player. Coho has been one our best players thus year and had tremendous upside. Why would you possibly trade him? Maybe we should trade everyone for picks and ice a team if all 18 year olds next year. I'll bet that's never been done.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
schpaff

I know who I would dangle...63.

schpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:28 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
You're really reaching here, dude. Rebuilding does not mean you trade every single player. Coho has been one our best players thus year and had tremendous upside. Why would you possibly trade him? Maybe we should trade everyone for picks and ice a team if all 18 year olds next year. I'll bet that's never been done.
Have you watched Edmonton lately?

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:29 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpaff View Post
I know who I would dangle...63.
Who wouldn't? It's crazy how protective people are of this kid. Same thing happened with Vancouver. You have to wear kid gloves if you want to criticize him.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:31 AM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Quote:

Yeah, let's tar and feather him for a mediocre game!

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:35 AM
SabresFan26

Quote:
What would you dangle him for?

Granted I agree anyone should be available on a losing team, you cannot be married to your players.

Hodgson has likely been our best forward this year. Yes he needs to work on his D and Dzone coverage but is game is evolving.

SabresFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:44 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

How can Rolston be so smart (Porter/Flynn over Lindy's fourth line, Steve Ott, Jochen Hecht, fourth liner; generally higher standard of accountability) while being so dumb?

JASON POMINVILLE WILL NEVER BE A COMPETENT FIRST UNIT POINT MAN. PERIOD. IT'S BEEN SEVEN YEARS.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:47 AM
snapshot19

Quote:
Who wouldn't? It's crazy how protective people are of this kid. Same thing happened with Vancouver. You have to wear kid gloves if you want to criticize him.
People just see potential in a young, unproven rookie. You have already made your opinion based on nothing. I am not against criticizing cody and I will admit he had a very mediocre game. I just find it funny that whenever he does have an off game or makes a mistake you are the first one to jump on him. But then again opinions are opinions I just can't understand people who draw conclusions on players so young into their careers. If you or anyone is going to criticize players why not criticize the players that have been around longer and are suppose to be teaching our young players the little things that will allow them to take the next step. This team needs a mature face lift. Lets agree on that one. I just personally don't see moving cody or ennis for that matter as an option at the trade deadline because they both show huge upside in their young careers.

snapshot19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
What would you dangle him for?

Granted I agree anyone should be available on a losing team, you cannot be married to your players.

Hodgson has likely been our best forward this year. Yes he needs to work on his D and Dzone coverage but is game is evolving.
I don't know. Say if someone wanted to give you a top 3 pick for him, would you do it? I would. Or package him for an elite player. I see CoHo settling in as a very good second line scoring center. I don't think his skating will ever allow him to be a top line, go to guy on a competitive team.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:54 AM
AirBriere48

Quote:
I don't know. Say if someone wanted to give you a top 3 pick for him, would you do it? I would. Or package him for an elite player. I see CoHo settling in as a very good second line scoring center. I don't think his skating will ever allow him to be a top line, go to guy on a competitive team.
Yes, but this isn't going to happen. Assuming somehow it did, I'd draft Drouin with that pick and then (hopefully) Barkov with our own to replace Cody.

Eventually:

Vanek-Grigs-Drouin
Ennis-Barkov-Armia
Foligno-Girgensons-Ott

/dream

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
snapshot19

Quote:
Let's see after another off season of training with Gary Roberts if his skating again improves. He's only going into his second full off season of training without any rehab so he can only get better. He definitely won't have stamkos speed but very few do. If he can get that little extra jump than we can make a better opinion on whether or not he can be a top line center. But once again lets not get ahead of ourselves here coming to conclusions on cody never being a top line go to guy on a competitive team.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Weird, since his skating has improved immensely from when we acquired him.

healthy back
training with the best
already shown improvement

sounds like bias

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:02 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

healthy back
training with the best

sounds like bias
I do have a bias against bad skaters. They drive me insane.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:11 AM
snapshot19

Quote:
He's far from a bad skater and you would be foolish to think he hasn't improved his skating since he first came to buffalo last season. Speed is not the only thing that makes a player a good or bad skater. Very few players in the league have that elite level speed. You can have all the speed in the world but if you are easily knocked off the puck and you have difficulty protecting the puck than I can just as easily say that player is a bad skater because he isn't strong on his skates. Cody has not in my opinion had any issues with easily getting knocked off the puck and he protects the puck very well. He is just missing that elite level speed or even that quick first step which he can work on and I'm sure he will. It will always be like beating a dead horse clearly because you can so easily already have a bias opinion on an unproven rookie. Who anyone that has actually watched cody with an unbiased view can see improvements in his game from this year to last. No winning with you Stokes but I do admire the fact that you do take a stand on your bias opinions I just think its way too early to be making assumptions.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:

most consistent player all year has a bad night in his 2nd year in the league, along with the rest of the team and and he needs to go?

only in Stokes84's world...

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:22 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

In the face of many many people telling Stokes he's wrong about CoHo in many many threads ... He still sticks his feet in cement and refuses to accept the possibility he's dead wrong.

Gotta love it ...

Stokes, if your expectations of CoHo are near Stamkos or Giroux, you'll never ever like him. Nothing he does will ever satisfy you. My expectations are ... I hope he gets better as he gains experience and trains in the off season. I hope he stays on the top line or at worse the second if we get a center better than him.

Could it be you want to like him but your expectations are so so elevated that when he doesn't meet those fantasy expectations you dislike him? Are you judging him right now as what he will be in his whole career? Because that's just plain ignorant if you are.

Time
Development
Training
Experience

It does matter

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:23 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
again, he is not a bad skater and is as quick as nearly anyone on this team. He has a short stride which may make him seem like a slower skater to inexperienced fans like yourself. Does he need work? sure

Hodgson will be a #1 center at somepoint in his career, will he be elite? likely not but still a damn good player.

Average Skating + High IQ and Hands = very good player
Elite Skating = Low IQ and bad hands = Gerbe

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:26 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

healthy back
training with the best

sounds like bias
stokes created a thread on the trade forum for the value of Hodgson as well. The agenda is getting old.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote