HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Speculation/Be a GM Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 09:31 AM
  #876
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I agree with you in principle. I just have a hard time seeing a team's "more" being enough to offset not having Gabby on this run. Even with the way he's playing.
If a team would add a prospect + 1st to whatever package they would offer over the off-season would you take it? I would.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:33 AM
  #877
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,007
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would be completely surprised if they don't make a move to bring in a player who can PK and drop the gloves at this years deadline.
They might. But to me, this are just surface moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I also wouldn't be surprised to see Gaborik or Boyle moved at this point. Not saying they should, or should not. Just that I would not be surprised.
Like I said, if the internal opinion is getting rid of Gaborik is an addition by subtraction move they might. I'm just very dubious as to what they can really get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Finally, Torts played Boyle at RW over Gaborik last night (where Boyle should have been playing for a couple of years anyways IMO). MZA and Fasth are true RWers. MZA can play the left side as well. At what point do the Rangers try and maximize the asset and bring in pieces to fill the holes that are needed to be filled? 3c? Top-4 RD?

Again, if you are ready to trade a guy who is a season removed from a 40 goal season for a 3C and RD, then I think the larger message is "We feel the team is best served by getting rid of Gaborik."
I've given up trying to figure out Torts. Fast needs to show he can play in the NHL before I pencil him to the lineup.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:34 AM
  #878
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Gaborik on this team is forcing a square peg in a round hole. 3 right wingers on the same team. Gaborik is the guy moved to the left side. He looks lost. Gaborik isn't on the first PP unit. Unless something crazy happens,Gaborik won't finish his contract in NY.
Vanek for Gaborik+. Vanek is a true left winger, and a power play specialist. Both players have drawn ire from their fanbases.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:38 AM
  #879
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Vanek for Gaborik+. Vanek is a true left winger, and a power play specialist. Both players have drawn ire from their fanbases.
Buffalo needs to strongly consider a rebuild.

Im not sure how getting Gaborik back in a trade accomplishes that goal.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:40 AM
  #880
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,007
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Buffalo needs to strongly consider a rebuild.

Im not sure how getting Gaborik back in a trade accomplishes that goal.
Not sure Gaborik would agree to go to Buffalo, either.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:44 AM
  #881
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,942
vCash: 50
Are there not rumors pertaining to Buffalo possibly moving Miller, Stafford and Meyers? I'd say that leans towards a rebuild.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
  #882
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Gaborik on this team is forcing a square peg in a round hole. 3 right wingers on the same team. Gaborik is the guy moved to the left side. He looks lost. Gaborik isn't on the first PP unit. Unless something crazy happens,Gaborik won't finish his contract in NY.
I think most of us have been saying this for a while now, but the question is when?

Many have said in the offseason, which seems like the best time: ride out the rest of this season and see if we can catch fire for the playoffs.

Trade Gaby (not a proponent of this, but it seems like it will happen eventually) for assets and start next season with a full training camp, preseason and 82 games.

__________________
Jabroni is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:48 AM
  #883
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They might. But to me, this are just surface moves.


Like I said, if the internal opinion is getting rid of Gaborik is an addition by subtraction move they might. I'm just very dubious as to what they can really get back.




Again, if you are ready to trade a guy who is a season removed from a 40 goal season for a 3C and RD, then I think the larger message is "We feel the team is best served by getting rid of Gaborik."
I've given up trying to figure out Torts. Fast needs to show he can play in the NHL before I pencil him to the lineup.
At this point, if the opinion is Gaborik HAS to be traded in the off-season, which I believe it is, then I am 100% okay dealing him at this deadline if the return is worthwhile.

I also think the team is on the lookout for a more complete 4th liner who is tough and can play the game. I don't think Sather likes the idea of just having Asham out there for the rest of the season. Just my .02$

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:50 AM
  #884
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Vanek for Gaborik+. Vanek is a true left winger, and a power play specialist. Both players have drawn ire from their fanbases.
This would be great, but as the posters said above, Gaborik would need to approve of the team by waving his limited NTC and Buffalo would want Gaborik.

Jabroni is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:55 AM
  #885
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
You can take an indirect route to that conclusion. If Buffalo is selling Vanek could be on the market.

If you trade Gaborik for picks and prospects, then flip those in turn for Vanek, probably plus something, you can get a guy who fits this team's needs perfectly. He has the same deal as Gaborik, and he is younger.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
  #886
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
You can take an indirect route to that conclusion. If Buffalo is selling Vanek could be on the market.

If you trade Gaborik for picks and prospects, then flip those in turn for Vanek, probably plus something, you can get a guy who fits this team's needs perfectly. He has the same deal as Gaborik, and he is younger.
I think the problem then arises of how do the Rangers pay all of their players and keep the players they have currently. I would rather get a few pieces to fill some holes for Gaborik than bring in another big name. Get some young legs who can bang bodies and create more depth.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:03 AM
  #887
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,463
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
the problem with doing that deal for Vanek is that we thin out an already thinning prospect pool

Ave Maria is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:06 AM
  #888
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy OFWG View Post
the problem with doing that deal for Vanek is that we thin out an already thinning prospect pool
I really don't see how our prospect pool is thin at all.

Kreider
Miller
Fasth
Lindberg
Hrivik
Yogan
Bourque
Mashinter
Haley
St Croix
Jean
Nieves
Fogarty

McIlrath
Noreau
Andersson
Skjei

Talbot
Missaen
Stajcer

I think all of those players have at least remote shots of playing some NHL time.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:07 AM
  #889
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Sheer speculation...I think the expiration date on Boyle has passed and (not specualtion but from a little birdie) there are a couple of Western Division teams that are interested. If he goes for a draft choice (perhaps a second or third), could that be coupled with another choice (one of the Rangers 3rds this year) for a rental on an expiring contract? Clowe could make sense here.
Bobbop, any idea who the teams are?

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:14 AM
  #890
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I really don't see how our prospect pool is thin at all.

Kreider
Miller
Fasth
Lindberg
Hrivik
Yogan
Bourque
Mashinter
Haley
St Croix
Jean
Nieves
Fogarty

McIlrath
Noreau
Andersson
Skjei

Talbot
Missaen
Stajcer

I think all of those players have at least remote shots of playing some NHL time.
Considering most of those guys will likely never see a minute of NHL action, it seems a bit thin to me.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:15 AM
  #891
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yep. I honestly wouldn't mind Clowe, but Pyatt has to go. They can't have 10,000 forwards on this roster. Clowe would fit well. I also like Torres but I know many people do not like him. Guy is a pot stirrer and one tough SOB.
The real problem with Clowe is that he isn't really the player people think he is. He can hit, and he'll stand up for his teammates without question, but he's closer to a perimeter player in the offensive zone than he is a true powerforward. He skates around the outside and tries to make passes like Jumbo Joe. It's baffling. He's also a terrible skater.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
  #892
silverfish
KEVIN!
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,929
vCash: 500
Isn't the whole point of dealing Gaborik to make sure we have the cap space to get our important RFAs signed this off-season? Even if the right deal is on the table, I don't see the Rangers wanting to add Vanek's $7+ hit.

Not to mention if you're the Sabres, why do you do that swap? It's not like they're going to add a significant prospect in the deal, the value between Gabs and Vanek is quite even I'd say.

Doesn't seem like a reasonable train of thought, but that could just be me.

silverfish is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
  #893
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The real problem with Clowe is that he isn't really the player people think he is. He can hit, and he'll stand up for his teammates without question, but he's closer to a perimeter player in the offensive zone than he is a true powerforward. He skates around the outside and tries to make passes like Jumbo Joe. It's baffling. He's also a terrible skater.
Which is why it makes perfect sense for the Rangers to acquire him. Under Glen Sather, the Rangers have a rich tradition of acquiring players based on their reputation rather than their actual play.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
  #894
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Which is why it makes perfect sense for the Rangers to acquire him. Under Glen Sather, the Rangers have a rich tradition of acquiring players based on their reputation rather than their actual play.
Unfortunately you're right about that.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:29 AM
  #895
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Isn't the whole point of dealing Gaborik to make sure we have the cap space to get our important RFAs signed this off-season? Even if the right deal is on the table, I don't see the Rangers wanting to add Vanek's $7+ hit.

Not to mention if you're the Sabres, why do you do that swap? It's not like they're going to add a significant prospect in the deal, the value between Gabs and Vanek is quite even I'd say.

Doesn't seem like a reasonable train of thought, but that could just be me.
No, I completely agree.

The Rangers can take back SOME salary for Gabs, but a move to get the same cap hit back, makes no sense. They need to be freeing up at least a couple million under the cap - preferably more like $3.5-5MM.

Also, I can't see why Buffalo or Winnipeg or some of the other teams that have been mentioned would do the deal. Any team that is young and still building or has realized that they need to blow up the current roster and start over should not be acquiring a 30+ year old on a $7.5MM AAV contract with a year left. I mean, I guess, I can MAYBE see the Peg doing it to give their fans a playoff run, but that would be way short-sighted given where that club is in its development - and it's not like they need to build casual fan engagement there. A team like Buffalo makes absolutely no sense.

When Gabby gets moved, it will be to a team with an older - or at least well established - core that's looking to max out their Cup chances the next 2 years. Detroit and Vancouver in particular make by far the most sense to me.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:34 AM
  #896
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Considering most of those guys will likely never see a minute of NHL action, it seems a bit thin to me.
Isn't that okay though? If 25% of them make it wouldn't that be a success? Is that a stretch considering the names on that list? I don't think so.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:36 AM
  #897
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Vanek for Gaborik+. Vanek is a true left winger, and a power play specialist. Both players have drawn ire from their fanbases.
I don't see how Buffalo would trade Vanek for Gaborik when Vanek has been clearly better than him this year.

I think the plus would have to be a high pick, or significant prospect (not Kreider or anything like that) but still significant.

16 To Stanley* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:38 AM
  #898
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
Because, by comparison, Gaborik has been better over the course of their careers.

Players aren't traded exclusively because of their performance over a 30 game stretch.

Now, if we keep Gaborik, that's fine too, but frankly I'd sooner just move Callahan to LW instead since he doesn't seem to be scoring much at even strength anyways.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:41 AM
  #899
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I really don't see how our prospect pool is thin at all.

Kreider
Miller
Fasth
Lindberg
Hrivik
Yogan
Bourque
Mashinter
Haley
St Croix
Jean
Nieves
Fogarty

McIlrath
Noreau
Andersson
Skjei

Talbot
Missaen
Stajcer

I think all of those players have at least remote shots of playing some NHL time.
Agreed. We also have a ton of young talent already on the team. McD, Del Zotto, Hagelin, Stepan etc all under 25.

We have a nice setup core for the future. Kreider i really think will be a gamebreaking player. I think he can be a Nash-Lite player who will consistently put up 30+ goals on a good team. Stepan is/will be a borderline 1C. Miller i'm hoping will be a solid 2C, but at the worst looks like he'll be a 3C. Hagelin is a top 6 winger, Kreider top 6 Winger. McD and Del Zotto top 4 D-Men.

Not bad at all. But FWIW, Haley should be taken off that list. I don't consider him a prospect. He turns 27 this week and has been around the block for a while.

16 To Stanley* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
  #900
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Because, by comparison, Gaborik has been better over the course of their careers.

Players aren't traded exclusively because of their performance over a 30 game stretch.

Now, if we keep Gaborik, that's fine too, but frankly I'd sooner just move Callahan to LW instead since he doesn't seem to be scoring much at even strength anyways.
I don't disagree with this, but I just don't see Buffalo doing something like this. Vanek is a couple years younger, though and a VERY similar player to Gaborik. He also knows the system/team already and is obviously comfortable there.

I just don't really see the sense in trading one top streaky goal scorer for another. For the Rangers it makes sense because we have a clog on the right side, but on Buf Vanek is a clear cut #1LW on the team.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't do this trade for Buffalo and furthermore I don't do it because Gaborik hasn't played well this season. I've been one of Gaboriks biggest advocates as well this season and think he has looked better of late. I just think it would be dumb for the Rangers to trade him.

If you can get Vanek for him, you do it, or in a deal that makes sense. If they trade him for some ****** package like a 3rd liner and serviceable d-man, middling prospect, i will cry.

You need players like Gabby to win the cup. We are better off holding on to him and hoping he gets it going. His history says he will. He has been a great FA signing by Sather and i have faith he will turn it around.

16 To Stanley* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.