HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 10:51 PM
daynus

vCash: 500
you guys are forgetting 1 western squad

whom after losing iggy are set to tank. so dont count your chickens yet. and by spending the last years, banging, fighting for a playoff spot and not tanking via the coilers these poor guys need mac, badly. and my 3 cousins and nephew are flames bangers, i wish them luck, bad luck on the scoreboard and good luck in the draft. and noiw back to us, mac,drouin,jones would all be stars+. barkov would be really nice. risto,nurse,zadarov, would be very very happy with. as per the trade for a dman in offseason, depends on draft. couts would trade, schenn, no no, guy is a keeper. read would trade, we are gonna lose him anyways, cant see us spending bucks on him. we need it for our boys $$$$ that is.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I think the Flyers need to finish 2nd worst or 4th worst.

You have to figure the Flyers will not win the lottery. And, based on our luck, any team worse than use won't win either, because this would be beneficial to us. So, if we finish 1st worst, everyone will be dejected when we lose the lottery and can't pick Jones. If we finish 2nd, we are guaranteed one of the top three (which seems to be the consensus that there are three great players in the draft for sure) because we will pick 3rd. If we are third worse, we will be dejected that we don't get one of the top 3, but if we finish 4th worst, than we have no hope of getting one of the top three and our hopes won't be dashed.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Reduxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...flyers-defense

I know everyone wants Seth Jones, but after reading this... I'm starting to hope the flyers draft Drouin, Mac, or Barkov; and trade (Couts or B Schenn) for a dman with a high upside. Would like people's thoughts after reading the link I posted.
I can't see the Flyers trading Brayden with Luke still here. They seem to be really happy playing on the same team, and both are doing a good job this season considering the circumstances. I think if anyone gets moved for a defenseman, it's Couturier. I'm not sure how great of an idea that is though. I don't see how we suddenly become an elite team if we're moving multiple assets for a guy like JBo. We just need to be patient (ha) and realize this might be a multi-year rebuild process.

Last edited by Reduxs: 03-27-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old
03-27-2013, 07:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...flyers-defense

I know everyone wants Seth Jones, but after reading this... I'm starting to hope the flyers draft Drouin, Mac, or Barkov; and trade (Couts or B Schenn) for a dman with a high upside. Would like people's thoughts after reading the link I posted.
If Jones is there you draft him. He won't be the #1 defenseman next year, but he has that potential down the road and I am pretty confident he would be in the NHL next season, being an upgrade over Gervais/Gus/Foster, probably playing on the second pair. Something like:

Schenn-Coburn
Jones-Timonen
Grossmann-Mez (if not traded)

The problem with trading Couturier (or Schenn or Read) for a #1 guy is that it is probably going to cost your more than just one of them, and it may be a guy with only a handful of years left or a guy with that potential who doesn't reach it. It is a tough situation to be in, and if the Flyers don't wind up drafting Jones, I wager that Flyer fans will not be happy with the end result: either going into next season with a similar defense to the one we have now or overpaying for a defenseman that may not be the one people around here want.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:37 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxs View Post
I can't see the Flyers trading Brayden with Luke still here. They seem to be really happy playing on the same team, and both are doing a good job this season considering the circumstances. I think if anyone gets moved for a defenseman, it's Couturier. I'm not sure how great of an idea that is though. I don't see how we suddenly become an elite team if we're moving multiple assets for a guy like JBo. We just need to be patient (ha) and realize this might be a multi-year rebuild process.
In all fairness, I don't think by defenseman with high upside, he meant jbo.

If couturier is being traded, I'm trading him for a young defenseman with a similarly high ceiling. Someone like Brandon Gormley.

I'd do Sean Couturier for Brandon Gormley and a 1st.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haanz View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome haha.

I'm pretty high on Elias Lindholm, who seems to be falling under the radar. He put up better draft-year numbers in the SEL than Nicklas Backstrom. Lots of skill with a good deal of grit. I think he's going to be one of the top players from this draft class when all is said and done.
I think he's going to be picked earlier than most people think.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:40 AM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

I'd do Sean Couturier for Brandon Gormley and a 1st.
I'm not sure the Coyotes would do that.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:42 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
I'm not sure the Coyotes would do that.
If probably do Sean Couturier + 2nd for Brandon Gormley + 1st.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:01 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Starting Leighton could really change that.
Does it really make a difference at this point? If Leighton were in nets last night, maybe they lose 6-2 or 7-2. A loss is a loss. Given how disjointed and lacklustre the skaters are, the difference between Bryzgalov and Leighton is negligible to me in terms of win-loss chances.

As a matter of fact, I hope (against hope) that Laviolette starts Leighton as a message to the team: minimal effort to support the #1 goaltender, so here's a career AHLer for you to play in front of.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I haven't really followed Florida this year but they must be beyond brutal considering they are worse than the Flyers which is pretty amazing considering how bad the Flyers look...
They have suffered from an crazy number of injuries.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Do an of you think there is any chance the Flyers try to trade their pick for a more established defenseman? I think the prime target would be St. Louis obviously. Bot Pietrangelo and Shettenkirk are due for a huge raise this offseason and we know the financial situation in St. Louis.

If the Flyers ended up lucking out and got the 1st overall pick do you think trading that pick and something like Laughton for Pietrangelo would be tempting for St. Louis? It could be Laughton and then the first would be conditional depending on whether we were able to resign Pietrangelo or not. They could draft Jones with the pick since they have confidence in developing young defenseman and they would also get a young cheap 3rd line center that fits their mold.

Or if the Flyers ended up with a pick around 4th, could we flip that pick straight up for a signed Shattenkirk? That would give them a chance to pick a top flight forward that could step right in next year.

I just think that we need a defenseman that can play right now, not one that will be great in 5 years. Our core is build to be at it's peak in 2-3 years. I'd hate to draft a defenseman that finally lived up to his potential when Giroux and the rest of the core is on the downside of their careers.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

What I'd like to see most still, is them taking Mackinnon or Drouin (if they can), trading Briere, Mez, and someone like Talbot or Feds for picks at the deadline, and then using those picks as part of a package for a young Dmen, or as a way to offset an offer sheet to a young Dman.

Briere and Mez need to be healthy because they're probably our best trading pieces that have a realistic chance of being moved.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Broad Street Elite

We're arguing over silly distinctions here. Answer this question honestly:

If the Philadelphia Flyers select __________________, I will be a happy fan.

A. Seth Jones
B. Nathon MacKinnon
C. Jonathon Drouin
D. All of the Above

Hell, you likely could have had a E and F that included Nurse and Barkov and I predict 98%+ of us would be completely ecstatic. Unlike the last time we were in a position to draft this high, we have A LOT of good stuff to choose from.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post

A. Seth Jones
B. Nathon MacKinnon
C. Jonathon Drouin
D. All of the Above

Hell, you likely could have had a E and F that included Nurse and Barkov and I predict 98%+ of us would be completely ecstatic. Unlike the last time we were in a position to draft this high, we have A LOT of good stuff to choose from.
This! I can't even remember the last time the consensus was that there were this many good options when the Flyers were able to pick.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:36 AM
snoop88

Quote:

A. Seth Jones
B. Nathon MacKinnon
C. Jonathon Drouin
D. All of the Above

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But the thing is this team has a massive hole at one major position- defense.
If Seth Jones is as good as they say , he could be a franchise altering addition

Mackinnon and Drouin are great and everyone would be happy with them, but ultimately I'm not sure how much they change the overall direction of the team.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop88 View Post
Mackinnon and Drouin are great and everyone would be happy with them, but ultimately I'm not sure how much they change the overall direction of the team.
Adding franchise players and mega-assets will ALWAYS help. I agree with your central thesis, but let's not act like a potential superstar forward doesn't help us. I want Jones quite a bit, but let's just remember in this draft, it's not Jones or Bust.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
FLYERSFAN18

I think jones will be a great player, but he won't be that for probably at least 3 or more years. But that doesn't mean he can't come in and make solid impact in the top 4 starting as early as next season. I say if we can draft him, let him play with a vet like timonen and don't overreact when he makes mistakes

Old
03-27-2013, 10:59 AM
AaronTrieu

I'm willing to suck for 2 years to stock pile the farm system and let the kids come up and grow together like richie and carter.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:06 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
I'm willing to suck for 2 years to stock pile the farm system and let the kids come up and grow together like richie and carter.
I can't stand sucking like we have this year for another two years. But if we are at least competitive in the games we play like Columbus this year I think I would be ok. Sight that said I don't think that is the flyers way. I would just like them to ice the best team they can without trading all of our picks and young players

Old
03-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I think jones will be a great player, but he won't be that for probably at least 3 or more years. But that doesn't mean he can't come in and make solid impact in the top 4 starting as early as next season. I say if we can draft him, let him play with a vet like timonen and don't overreact when he makes mistakes
That's the problem. The fans and organization will overreact, and chances are by the time he is the defenseman the team needs, Giroux will be nearly 30, and he'll be on a different team. I wouldn't be angry if they picked Jones or even Nurse, by any means. I'll hope for the best. I just think that they currently have the best player they've had since Lindros, and we need to get someone to play with him.

You can't just snap your fingers, and poof there's a franchise Dman. We tried with Weber, and it almost worked. We got Timonen, and Pronger, but they were older, and we payed a lot to get one of them. However, there are ways to get good young defenseman. We got Carle, Coburn, and Mez who are all solid top 4 players. There are young guys out there that can contribute, and can be had without moving Schenn or Couts. The key though is moving our other current pieces either for them, or for the picks needed to get them.

While the draft is the easiest, and pretty much only way to get a franchise Dman, it's also the longest way, and not without a lot of risk. What if Jones isn't a franchise player? Or even worse, what if he is, and they trade him after a couple years? I know these are what if's, but it's not like this team doesn't have a history of being impatient.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:07 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Jones is talented enough to step right into a role next season. he may not reach his potential for a few seasons, but it's better than the 'fix a flat' system this team has utilized when it comes to defenseman and filling spots in general. i'd rather groom a highly touted kid from the get go in the NHL with the potential to be a franchise defenseman than neglect that need in the draft and trade for a guy who's development has halted (meyers) or fill the void with a stopgap with a big contract like Bouwmeester or Campbell. We need to end this mantra of filling our team with other teams unwanted material and expecting any significant success. if anything is to change, we need to start developing our own corner pieces. Jones would be the perfect start to that. I'm PERFECTLY willing to suck it up through the growing pains in order to finally have our own bonafide #1 defenseman that we didn't need to sacrifice the rest of the future and the prospect pool for.

honestly, i want jones badly. but if we can't get him, I'd be all about trading our #3ish pick for columbus' 1st and the rangers 1st. take a guy like Pulock, Nurse or Zadorov with the higher pick and then a guy like anthony mantha with the other.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:10 AM
FLYERSFAN18

You are right. There aren't any #1 dmen out there that can be had in my opinion. That is the problem. If we somehow draft jones or maybe nurse, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Couts for Ryan if Laughton is ready for the third line center role

Old
03-27-2013, 11:11 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Jones is talented enough to step right into a role next season. he may not reach his potential for a few seasons, but it's better than the 'fix a flat' system this team has utilized when it comes to defenseman and filling spots in general. i'd rather groom a highly touted kid from the get go in the NHL with the potential to be a franchise defenseman than neglect that need in the draft and trade for a guy who's development has halted (meyers) or fill the void with a stopgap with a big contract like Bouwmeester or Campbell. We need to end this mantra of filling our team with other teams unwanted material and expecting any significant success. if anything is to change, we need to start developing our own corner pieces. Jones would be the perfect start to that. I'm PERFECTLY willing to suck it up through the growing pains in order to finally have our own bonafide #1 defenseman that we didn't need to sacrifice the rest of the future and the prospect pool for.

honestly, i want jones badly. but if we can't get him, I'd be all about trading our #3ish pick for columbus' 1st and the rangers 1st. take a guy like Pulock, Nurse or Zadorov with the higher pick and then a guy like anthony mantha with the other.
This is basically the way I feel

Old
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Quote:

A. Seth Jones
B. Nathon MacKinnon
C. Jonathon Drouin
D. All of the Above

I dont think anyone is really arguing. It's more of a discussion on what may happen come June. I agree though, there are 5 players that I would be happy with, the problem is, the Flyers could end up picking 6th-7th very easily and we wouldnt get any of the guys we want.

And just because I would be happy with those guys doesnt mean we wouldnt prefer the best of the best. If Crosby, Malkin, and Getzlaf were all drafted the same year and we got Getzlaf with the #3 pick I would obviously be thrilled but that doesnt mean I wouldnt rather have Crosby or Malkin.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:17 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
You are right. There aren't any #1 dmen out there that can be had in my opinion. That is the problem. If we somehow draft jones or maybe nurse, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Couts for Ryan if Laughton is ready for the third line center role
i'd much rather trade couts for a guy like brandon gormley than ryan honestly. especially since the chances of ryan signing here as a UFA are pretty high IMO. that way in a few years, if my draft idea went down we'd have.

Ryan - Giroux - Voracek
Mantha - Schenn - Simmonds
Hartnell - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - McGinn

Gormley - Coburn
Pulock - Grossmann
xxxx (Gostisbehere?) - xxxx

Closed Thread