HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Sproul heads list of top drafted OHL defensemen (incl. Ryan Murphy)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2013, 09:19 PM
  #101
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
No you and that other guy have constantly repeated that but its not evidence of anything. Saying a big guy is a worse defenseman if he doesnt play physical is so stupid. Its your opinion with no proof and you pass it as fact to make Murphy seem better. Just like how you said there arent a lot of big dmen that arent great defensively, I could say there arent many that are under 5'11 and make an even bigger list of dmen that are bad defensively.

How about you make a list of top pairing dmen who are under 6 feet and great defensively if youre so sure of your position. Pretty sure the last dman under 6 feet to win the Norris was Randy Carlyle Back in 81. Sprouls skating is exceptional for guys of that height and he hasnt had all that much time to put on weight since his growth spurt either. Hes not a noodle out there, hes more physical then you let on.

He needs to develop but to say he would be better off shorter is probably one of, if not the dumbest things I've ever read on here lol. Once he fills out that 6'4 frame and is still skating great he will be a force to be reckoned with. His development curve has been ridiculous but you think its going to stop all of a sudden for some reason.
Just because you say it's wrong doesn't mean it is. You've failed to actually reply to our statements, you'd said it's wrong, went off saying we're ridiculous or something to that effect. We have you reason, we gave you example, and you insist on dismissing it. How aobut you actually reply to what we say instead of acting like we're idiots.

Karlsson, Coffey and Leetch were are under 6'0 (Listed at that but all NHL players have their height exagerated. Briere is closer to 5'6 than he is to 5'10. Karlsson is listed at 6'0 but he's probably the same height as Murphy. I've stood beside Coffey before when I was a kid. I was 5'11 then, Coffey was no taller than I was, probably a half inch shorter.

But who cares about that? I'm not saying Murphy will win a Norris trophy, or even be an all star. And I hope you're not suggesting such lofty expectations for Sproul either I don't care how good Sproul's skating is, it doesn't mean that his size is a plus for him, because it isn't. He plays a game of a much shorter player, his size means he turns slower, doesn't matter how good a skater he is. If you're big, you can't turn as fast. Myers is an amazing skater for his size, and he still can't turn around fast. Sproul has the same problem. If you are big, not physical and not good defensively, your size gives you no advantages. There's a reason big players are almost never good stick handlers. You get rare cases such as Lindros, Lemieux, Jagr, etc. but it's almost never defensemen.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:59 PM
  #102
WesNichols14
Registered User
 
WesNichols14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Huron Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
Dude, Karlsson won the Norris last year. He is a generous 5'11''
Karlsson is 6ft.
http://senators.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474578
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112742
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/5164/erik-karlsson

here are a few links if you don't believe me

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:18 PM
  #103
cjm502
#FireHolland
 
cjm502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mid Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
Well that sucks, can you imagine how good he would be if he was 5'10

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:43 PM
  #104
WesNichols14
Registered User
 
WesNichols14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Huron Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Just because you say it's wrong doesn't mean it is. You've failed to actually reply to our statements, you'd said it's wrong, went off saying we're ridiculous or something to that effect. We have you reason, we gave you example, and you insist on dismissing it. How aobut you actually reply to what we say instead of acting like we're idiots.

Karlsson, Coffey and Leetch were are under 6'0 (Listed at that but all NHL players have their height exagerated. Briere is closer to 5'6 than he is to 5'10. Karlsson is listed at 6'0 but he's probably the same height as Murphy. I've stood beside Coffey before when I was a kid. I was 5'11 then, Coffey was no taller than I was, probably a half inch shorter.

But who cares about that? I'm not saying Murphy will win a Norris trophy, or even be an all star. And I hope you're not suggesting such lofty expectations for Sproul either I don't care how good Sproul's skating is, it doesn't mean that his size is a plus for him, because it isn't. He plays a game of a much shorter player, his size means he turns slower, doesn't matter how good a skater he is. If you're big, you can't turn as fast. Myers is an amazing skater for his size, and he still can't turn around fast. Sproul has the same problem. If you are big, not physical and not good defensively, your size gives you no advantages. There's a reason big players are almost never good stick handlers. You get rare cases such as Lindros, Lemieux, Jagr, etc. but it's almost never defensemen.

Sproul is 20 Freaking years old! because he doesn't play a physical game right now does not mean he is never going to. being big is a definite advantage. Its a lot easier to become a physical player, when you have a natural SIZE ADVANTAGE. lets put Murphy on one side of the ice and Sproul on the other, have them run each other I bet Murphy takes more damage.

Even if Sproul never develops that physical edge putting him in a shooting lane takes up a lot more space that if he was 5ft 11.

The guy puts up crazy points so yeah he is going to face good competition, no coach is going to say "hey guys lets toss the 4th line out there when Sproul is playing he is only outscoring half of our forwards while missing 6 weeks with a broken arm.

Murphy is a good I don't doubt that, personally I don't really care, but he got drafted 12th overall I trust he has a lot of talent. that being said he put up 48pts this year in 54 games, 10 of which were goals so he averaged a whole.888 game, and a goal every 5.4 games while finishing the year +14.
Sproul on the other hand put up 66 points this year in 50 games, 20 of which were goals. so he averaged 1.32 points per game and a goal every 2.6 Games, ending the season with an even +/-.

Ryan Sproul was also Defenseman of the month twice this season while Murphy had a grand total of 0.

Oh and to answer some of your points about what him turning slower, who cares! he's an Offensive Defenseman you put him with a Defensive Defenseman. you know a player like Xavier Ouellet. like how you put Niklas Kronwall on a line With Jonathan Ericsson. the Size does give you the natural advantage of choice, you get pissed and check someone he feels it more because you hit him with more.

By absolutely no means is it a Disadvantage, normally you sacrifice speed for size, Sproul has the speed he has the size, he has the Offensive zone IQ something very difficult to teach, and needs to work on his Defensive zone skills, it would worry some if he didn't have the likes of Lidstrom and Chelios to teach at the next level and during camps.

The coach's picked him ahead of Murphy in the polls, the media has put him ahead of Murphy in the Monthly awards, and the fans wanted him ahead of Murphy in the WJC, Murphy could tell you at this point and you wouldn't listen your so set in your belief.

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:46 AM
  #105
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 23,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Except Murphy isn't a mediocre defender. You're trying to state they're both the same defensively, yet the evidence doesn't suggest this in the least.

Sproul plays on a bad defensive team, and he isn't even the best defensively. He doesn't play top PK minutes and he doesn't play against the best competition. Murphy plays on a top defensive team where he's the best defensive player and plays top penalty killing minutes. Murphy played in the NHL this season and got praise from NHL players and his coaches for his game.

Don't act high and mighty and pretend you're being completely neutral. He may have added 30 lbs but that doesn't mean he's strong. He's not, he gets bumped off the puck easily, way too easily considering how big he is.
Gee, bet that has nothing to do with Gibson, Palazzese, and Vienneau. He was so good in the NHL they sent him back.

Maybe I should just try a different tactic and start saying Sproul is the best defensively because I say so and just keep doing it over and over.

Murphy gets turned around often, has weak positioning and is easily pushed off the puck. There it is, those are his problems. I think the whole hockey world knows at this point that Spott would run him out if he had better options, we saw it on a much larger stage where he was unquestionably one of the worst options on his team defensively. So play the minutes angle and the responsibilities it is another reason to discredit the wisdom of Steve Spott. A man so ingenious he managed to finish out of the medals with Canada and flame out rather spectacularly a couple of times with talented Kitchener Rangers teams.

His praise was he will be returned as soon as we are healthy and he went -4 with no points in 4 games. His point totals have dropped every year since his draft year. He isn't a largely different player but I am an idiot and don't watch the games. Could just be the scouting report is out on him and for all the flash and dash in his game he isn't that scary. He gives almost as many chances as his magnificent offensive touch gets, so teams pack it in and watch him go for his beautiful skating exhibitions then pounce on his mistakes. This is what I see a lot when I watch him play.

I don't know what Sproul will turn into, Ouellet is the best junior age D-man the Wings have. I spend enough time arguing that point while people are on the runaway Sproul train. I will tell you this though he is fortunate not to have a big time right handed PP option in front of him, Murphy has Faulk which should make his life interesting as he tries to win that job and should seriously temper some of the expectations on the kid.


Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 03-27-2013 at 02:58 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:54 AM
  #106
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 23,640
vCash: 500
For those interested in Jiri Fischer's thoughts on Ryan Sproul.


The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
  #107
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
Sproul is 20 Freaking years old! because he doesn't play a physical game right now does not mean he is never going to. being big is a definite advantage. Its a lot easier to become a physical player, when you have a natural SIZE ADVANTAGE. lets put Murphy on one side of the ice and Sproul on the other, have them run each other I bet Murphy takes more damage.

Even if Sproul never develops that physical edge putting him in a shooting lane takes up a lot more space that if he was 5ft 11.

The guy puts up crazy points so yeah he is going to face good competition, no coach is going to say "hey guys lets toss the 4th line out there when Sproul is playing he is only outscoring half of our forwards while missing 6 weeks with a broken arm.

Murphy is a good I don't doubt that, personally I don't really care, but he got drafted 12th overall I trust he has a lot of talent. that being said he put up 48pts this year in 54 games, 10 of which were goals so he averaged a whole.888 game, and a goal every 5.4 games while finishing the year +14.
Sproul on the other hand put up 66 points this year in 50 games, 20 of which were goals. so he averaged 1.32 points per game and a goal every 2.6 Games, ending the season with an even +/-.

Ryan Sproul was also Defenseman of the month twice this season while Murphy had a grand total of 0.

Oh and to answer some of your points about what him turning slower, who cares! he's an Offensive Defenseman you put him with a Defensive Defenseman. you know a player like Xavier Ouellet. like how you put Niklas Kronwall on a line With Jonathan Ericsson. the Size does give you the natural advantage of choice, you get pissed and check someone he feels it more because you hit him with more.

By absolutely no means is it a Disadvantage, normally you sacrifice speed for size, Sproul has the speed he has the size, he has the Offensive zone IQ something very difficult to teach, and needs to work on his Defensive zone skills, it would worry some if he didn't have the likes of Lidstrom and Chelios to teach at the next level and during camps.

The coach's picked him ahead of Murphy in the polls, the media has put him ahead of Murphy in the Monthly awards, and the fans wanted him ahead of Murphy in the WJC, Murphy could tell you at this point and you wouldn't listen your so set in your belief.
He's 20 and he's got worse defensive skills than Murphy did at 17. How many players who lack a physical side find one? A mean streak is impossible to teach, and use of physical talents is extremely difficult to teach. Soft players in junior are almost always soft in the NHL. Players who don't use their size in junior almost never do in the NHL. Name five players who were soft in junior and learned to use their size at higher level.

Murphy's decreasing point totals have two reasons behind them. Niether involves declining skills or even stagnating skills. Last season he suffered a concussion and the common "sent down from NHL blues" after he made the NHL but was sent down due to Maurice refusing to start two rookie defensemen. Two, Kitchener's point totals have declined, but Murphy retains a similar point-team point ratio.

Who cares that he can't turn as fast? It's a major issue. Detroit fans can't claim he has top pairing upside if they don't care that he's a liability in his own zone. Sproul's skating should mean he can get back but that option isn't available to him because he can't turn as fast.

Those awards mean nothing, niether is indicitive of who is the prospect or player. The coaches don't see a player more than 6 times a season before these polls are done. And the fans wanted Sproul over Murphy at the WJC? What fans? Detroit fans yes but beyond that only a small minority were campaigning for Sproul to make the team. If people thought Murphy was bad defensively there (Which he wasn't, no worse than Hamilton), then they would have really hated Sproul. It's a blessing in disguise that Sproul didn't make the WJC, because all this hype would have been reversed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Gee, bet that has nothing to do with Gibson, Palazzese, and Vienneau. He was so good in the NHL they sent him back.

Maybe I should just try a different tactic and start saying Sproul is the best defensively because I say so and just keep doing it over and over.

Murphy gets turned around often, has weak positioning and is easily pushed off the puck. There it is, those are his problems. I think the whole hockey world knows at this point that Spott would run him out if he had better options, we saw it on a much larger stage where he was unquestionably one of the worst options on his team defensively. So play the minutes angle and the responsibilities it is another reason to discredit the wisdom of Steve Spott. A man so ingenious he managed to finish out of the medals with Canada and flame out rather spectacularly a couple of times with talented Kitchener Rangers teams.

His praise was he will be returned as soon as we are healthy and he went -4 with no points in 4 games. His point totals have dropped every year since his draft year. He isn't a largely different player but I am an idiot and don't watch the games. Could just be the scouting report is out on him and for all the flash and dash in his game he isn't that scary. He gives almost as many chances as his magnificent offensive touch gets, so teams pack it in and watch him go for his beautiful skating exhibitions then pounce on his mistakes. This is what I see a lot when I watch him play.

I don't know what Sproul will turn into, Ouellet is the best junior age D-man the Wings have. I spend enough time arguing that point while people are on the runaway Sproul train. I will tell you this though he is fortunate not to have a big time right handed PP option in front of him, Murphy has Faulk which should make his life interesting as he tries to win that job and should seriously temper some of the expectations on the kid.
So the goalies are single handidly responsible for Kitchener being a top defensive team? OK

If you claimed Sproul was better defensively you'd be making false claims so go ahead and do it. Just like the rest of the claim you made.

You basically stated you know better than Canes management, players and coaching staff when you scoffed at them being impressed with Murphy. They had to send him down, it wasn't their choice. They said if it was their choice they would have kept him up.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:35 AM
  #108
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
It's a blessing in disguise that Sproul didn't make the WJC, because all this hype would have been reversed.
I guess I didn't realize Murphy was the best offensive defenseman in the O this season.

Then again, neither did anyone else.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:14 AM
  #109
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I guess I didn't realize Murphy was the best offensive defenseman in the O this season.

Then again, neither did anyone else.
What the hell are you talking about? I said if Sproul had went to the WJC, he would have been exposed for how awful he is defensively and people would have wished he didn't make it, instead of this ridiculous hype Sproul gets.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:29 AM
  #110
Carl33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
It's speculation...

but I can hardly imagine that sproul would have been as worst than murphy in his zone...and I guess sproul would have produce more when it mathers

murphy didn'nt play well at the WJC....can't imagine sproul play worst....at least even...

Steeve Spott made a homer pick with murphy...and loose his last chance to win the WJC...not only because of Murphy...but the whole team....and murphy!

Carl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
  #111
Finlandia WOAT
Power Forward
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
No you and that other guy have constantly repeated that but its not evidence of anything. Saying a big guy is a worse defenseman if he doesnt play physical is so stupid. Its your opinion with no proof and you pass it as fact to make Murphy seem better. Just like how you said there arent a lot of big dmen that arent great defensively, I could say there arent many that are under 5'11 and make an even bigger list of dmen that are bad defensively.
Please stop misinterpreting what I said (this goes to everyone in this thread).

I only said that, because Sproul doesn't play a physical game, or use his size effectively, it can not be used as a reason that he is better than Murphy. Notice that I am NOT saying that Murphy is better than Sproul. Arguing that Sproul is better than Murphy because he has 5' over him is not valid. That's all I'm saying.

There ARE examples of defensemen who did not use their size and did not reach their full potential. The current Tyler Myers. Jay Bouwmeester, Joni Pitkanen, Zach Bogosian for the past 4 years. And there ARE examples of defenseman who did, such as the current Zach Bogosian. So it can be learned.

But I'm talking about right now, at this moment.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:52 AM
  #112
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Please stop misinterpreting what I said (this goes to everyone in this thread).

I only said that, because Sproul doesn't play a physical game, or use his size effectively, it can not be used as a reason that he is better than Murphy. Notice that I am NOT saying that Murphy is better than Sproul. Arguing that Sproul is better than Murphy because he has 5' over him is not valid. That's all I'm saying.

There ARE examples of defensemen who did not use their size and did not reach their full potential. The current Tyler Myers. Jay Bouwmeester, Joni Pitkanen, Zach Bogosian for the past 4 years. And there ARE examples of defenseman who did, such as the current Zach Bogosian. So it can be learned.

But I'm talking about right now, at this moment.
Its not so much you who I have a problem with in your thread. The only thing I dont really agree with is saying Tyler Myers or someone else who doesnt use their size a whole lot is actually a worse dman or would be better if they were shorter. They could've been better if they were using their size more, but they still have advantages like reach, more body to take up shooting lanes and block shots and are heavier when theyre pinning you on the boards amongst other things.

Having that size gives you more potential to add a physical dimension (which Sproul does have a bit of, hes not a complete waste of size). A lot of times that size usually sacrifices skating ability and I would agree with that but that isnt close to the case for Sproul. You've gotta realize Sproul had a really late and big growth spurt, he was drafted to the OHL at 5'11. Hes gonig to need more time to adjust to his huge frame and add weight. Murphy has been 5'11 forever and was an early maturer.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
  #113
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,147
vCash: 500
Give me Ceci over Murphy and Sproul.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
  #114
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl33 View Post
It's speculation...

but I can hardly imagine that sproul would have been as worst than murphy in his zone...and I guess sproul would have produce more when it mathers

murphy didn'nt play well at the WJC....can't imagine sproul play worst....at least even...

Steeve Spott made a homer pick with murphy...and loose his last chance to win the WJC...not only because of Murphy...but the whole team....and murphy!
You can hardly imagine it? Sounds like you haven't watched these two players. Murphy was hardly horrible, he was no worse than Hamilton, infact, he was no worse than Harrington who had a very poor WJC yet got no flack for it.

Sproul is a worse defender than Murphy in the OHL, he's far more prone to turnovers and can barely be trusted in the OHL.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:47 PM
  #115
fetalposition
Registered User
 
fetalposition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
This thread is funny, coaches and media know nothing, I know everything, I dont care what you say im the only person who watches the ohl. Anyone who thinks murphy is excellent defensively, and sproul can barely be trusted in the ohl is either murphy himself or needs to stop drinking murphy juice.

fetalposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:05 PM
  #116
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 23,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
So the goalies are single handidly responsible for Kitchener being a top defensive team? OK

If you claimed Sproul was better defensively you'd be making false claims so go ahead and do it. Just like the rest of the claim you made.

You basically stated you know better than Canes management, players and coaching staff when you scoffed at them being impressed with Murphy. They had to send him down, it wasn't their choice. They said if it was their choice they would have kept him up.
Actions speak louder than words and they had no intentions of keeping him over other guys. It is the reason he wasn't there to begin with and just an emergency call up this year.

But this angle is funny. So you give no weight to the coaches and management poll in the OHL that just put Sproul in front of Murphy in a landslide in several categories. The league they actually played in? You're defeating your own argument with that line.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:18 PM
  #117
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywingfan View Post
This thread is funny, coaches and media know nothing, I know everything, I dont care what you say im the only person who watches the ohl. Anyone who thinks murphy is excellent defensively, and sproul can barely be trusted in the ohl is either murphy himself or needs to stop drinking murphy juice.
I think the idea that Sproul needs work in his own zone is perfectly reasonable (and accurate). Where it goes off the rails is claiming that Murphy is this amazing defenseman that nobody recognizes aside from Faidh and Canes fans.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
  #118
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Actions speak louder than words and they had no intentions of keeping him over other guys. It is the reason he wasn't there to begin with and just an emergency call up this year.

But this angle is funny. So you give no weight to the coaches and management poll in the OHL that just put Sproul in front of Murphy in a landslide in several categories. The league they actually played in? You're defeating your own argument with that line.
Actions speak louder than words? What part of they couldn't keep him do you not understand? It wasn't their choice, he had to be sent down. A guy like Morgan Rielly didn't make the NHL either, he probably would have if the season started on time. I would wager Murphy would have too, given the comments by Carolina.

Coaches who only see a player twice vote on this poll. No coach will have seen a player that year more than six times. The best skating players in the OHL were not named top skater, because they aren't producing. If the point totals were reversed, without a doubt Murphy would have won it. Brock, who watches the OHL more than just about everyone, picked Murphy as his best skater. The polls are not indicitive of how is the better prospect/or player, nor do they make the claim to be.

Kris Russell won a slew of awards in the 2006-07 CHL season, including CHL defensemen of the year. There were plenty great (And much) better defensemen who played that season and had impressive campaigns, Michael Del Zotto, Drew Doughty, Karl Alzner, Jonathan Blum, etc. Does that mean Russell should have been a better defensemen than all of them? No, it doesn't. Sproul has defensive issues a top defensive prospect at the age of 20 should not have. If he was an Islanders or Columbus prospect, I can't imagine he'd have close to this amount of hype.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:57 PM
  #119
Finlandia WOAT
Power Forward
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I think the idea that Sproul needs work in his own zone is perfectly reasonable (and accurate). Where it goes off the rails is claiming that Murphy is this amazing defenseman that nobody recognizes aside from Faidh and Canes fans.
You'll be hard pressed to find a 'Canes fan who thinks Murphy is amazing defensively.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:01 PM
  #120
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
You'll be hard pressed to find a 'Canes fan who thinks Murphy is amazing defensively.
We've already found one Murphy fan who thinks so, at least.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
  #121
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
The best skating players in the OHL were not named top skater
This honestly sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
  #122
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 23,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I think the idea that Sproul needs work in his own zone is perfectly reasonable (and accurate). Where it goes off the rails is claiming that Murphy is this amazing defenseman that nobody recognizes aside from Faidh and Canes fans.
Yup, most Wings fans don't have a problem admitting Sproul is very much a work in progress. Haven't seen that argued differently, I just would rather have Sproul than Murphy at this point and have no problem saying that. To each his own I guess.

Sproul would be getting a lot of pub no matter who he was playing for this year, his season was that good offensively. His skill set and size would still be intriguing. In fact I would argue in a lot of organizations he would have made a more solid jump. They just did the rankings here and he still sits at 7th in the organization, 6th when you kick out Smith in those rankings. The guy that has gained the most steam isn't even Sproul, it is Mrazek and that is pretty true of the Red Wings fanbase as well.

The only thing Sproul's big season has done is help him in the Sproul and Ouellet debate. But when any teams prospect wins d-man of the month twice you are going to hear about it and people are going to get excited. I take Ouellet over both in terms of NHL ready and the total solid game he plays.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
  #123
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 23,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
We've already found one Murphy fan who thinks so, at least.
Yeah but he is just the President of the Murphy fan club if his Stars avatar is to be believed, not a Canes fan.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:18 PM
  #124
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
We've already found one Murphy fan who thinks so, at least.
I never said he was amazing defensively. I said he was responsible enough to be the top defensive defensemen on a top defensive team, and was not horrible defensively.

You and other Wings fans in this thread jumped to the conclusion that because I don't agree with you that Murphy is "awful" I must think he's the second coming of Bobby Orr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
This honestly sounds like a conspiracy theory.
Why? Because you can't understand that the awards don't go to the most qualified? Awards rarely do, I provided examples, and you keep assuming that the awards always go to the person most qualified. You don't even have had to say that, you implied it by your constant and unsubstantiated defending of them as proof that Sproul is "better".

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:24 PM
  #125
WesNichols14
Registered User
 
WesNichols14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Huron Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Actions speak louder than words? What part of they couldn't keep him do you not understand? It wasn't their choice, he had to be sent down. A guy like Morgan Rielly didn't make the NHL either, he probably would have if the season started on time. I would wager Murphy would have too, given the comments by Carolina.

Coaches who only see a player twice vote on this poll. No coach will have seen a player that year more than six times. The best skating players in the OHL were not named top skater, because they aren't producing. If the point totals were reversed, without a doubt Murphy would have won it. Brock, who watches the OHL more than just about everyone, picked Murphy as his best skater. The polls are not indicitive of how is the better prospect/or player, nor do they make the claim to be.

Kris Russell won a slew of awards in the 2006-07 CHL season, including CHL defensemen of the year. There were plenty great (And much) better defensemen who played that season and had impressive campaigns, Michael Del Zotto, Drew Doughty, Karl Alzner, Jonathan Blum, etc. Does that mean Russell should have been a better defensemen than all of them? No, it doesn't. Sproul has defensive issues a top defensive prospect at the age of 20 should not have. If he was an Islanders or Columbus prospect, I can't imagine he'd have close to this amount of hype.
Its called review! No coach is not going to take speed and skating ability as a threat and it is their job to look at all opposing threats when making the lineup against a certain team. there is no way, a coach hasn't watched game tape of Sproul before a game against the Soo. so yeah he might have only seen him live twice this year but he has spent at least a few hours watching game tape of the Soo, a lot of which has Sproul on it.

You have canes fans telling you you are wrong, this is a prospect they have reason to hope is the best defenseman in the world yet they can tell you you our wrong. you have come to the point in this thread that you arent even bringing anything new to the table, just blindly calling everyone else misinformed or just plain dumb for thinking Sproul is the better prospect, at this moment.

You for some reason think an entire teams defense relies on one player, when there are six. you put an offensive defenseman with a defensive one, allowing your offensive D to take risks and put up points.

Murphy is +14 and had 48 points, lets subtract his point totals from Sproul's 66. you end up with 18 points, now lets subtract Murphy's +14 and you have 4 more goals that Sproul was involved in compared to how many times Murphy was even on the ice for his team comparing to how many they were on against.

Lastly if Carolina wanted Murphy up they would have kept him. they put him down because they saw him as no more than a healthy scratch/Injury replacement if he stayed in the NHL. he was -4 in 4 games with 0 points. they took a chance saw an injured player coming back and said hey kid go back to juniors your not ready yet. to say they had no choice makes you sound foolish, made the Decision (Choice) to not burn a year off his contract because he was not good enough to play in the NHL yet.

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.