HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Hoffman - Recalled March 26

Old
03-26-2013, 10:52 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Puck control, bouncing off the puck easily..has the knack to drive the net but needs some muscle..he'll get leveled in the N first shift out..

I like the kid, great attitude and his passion, lacks some protein
So you're saying his only weakness is... weakness?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
So you're saying his only weakness is... weakness?
He needs a couple years in the A

Edit: But I get your humor, lol

Last edited by Ski: 03-26-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Berserker*

Maybe I am way off in terms of my assessment, but I think that Hoffman has some similarities to Mike Richards. If Richards was significantly less physical and only slightly above average defensively, than I think that the rest of his skill set compares fairly well with that of Hoffman's. That is why I stated that if Hoffman can up his level of physicality than he could become a Mike Richards-lite down the line. But then again I could be wrong here and maybe I need to watch both players more attentively than I have been.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Mephias

Well, Mike Hoffman physically looks like a Mike Richards clone.

Mephias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:18 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

The problem with Hoffman, the thing holding him back is hockey IQ. The guy has all the physical tools and an excellent hockey skillset.

It's just that his decision making on the ice is so baffling bad, it's holding him back from being a great player. You put Erik Condra's (for example) brain into that body and you get a superstar, but instead you have a guy that still gets points at lesser levels due to his talents, but a guy I don't see being anything special in the NHL.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Canuckman44

I think Hoffman is getting called to showcase what he has IN CASE a trade deal includes Hoffman. They need these guys up and playing in the show if they want to get maximum value in a trade. The better a players shows his skills in the NHL the more valuable the commodity.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:47 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
I think Hoffman is getting called to showcase what he has IN CASE a trade deal includes Hoffman. They need these guys up and playing in the show if they want to get maximum value in a trade. The better a players shows his skills in the NHL the more valuable the commodity.
If that were the case Da Costa would have been called up and Bishop would have been getting the bulk of the starts. This is probably more a case of they think he gives them a better chance of winning games.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:25 AM
sensageddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
The problem with Hoffman, the thing holding him back is hockey IQ. The guy has all the physical tools and an excellent hockey skillset.

It's just that his decision making on the ice is so baffling bad, it's holding him back from being a great player. You put Erik Condra's (for example) brain into that body and you get a superstar, but instead you have a guy that still gets points at lesser levels due to his talents, but a guy I don't see being anything special in the NHL.
Maybe they should fire Doc Chow and hire a mad scientist?

sensageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:31 AM
OgieO

I'm glad to see him up. We need to see if he can keep up with the pace and physicality of the NHL game. His shot is NHL quality, but the speed of the game is greater up here. I hope he adjusts and we get to see his skills help the team.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:

Interesting take, and a bit contrarian to the scouting reports and what most people say about Hoffman. After all, he is hardly a physically dominant player - he isn't a true speedster at the pro level, he isn't physically stronger than anyone. He doesn't have a 100mph shot. His hands are pretty elite, but hands with out hockey IQ do you little good. I think if you had Eric Condra's head in that body, he might just be...Eric Condra. I actually think Hoffman has more of a Chris Kelly-like future, than Condra does.

The fact Hoffman is consistently applauded for his two-way play AND plays the point on the PP in Bingo seem to indicate his hockey IQ is one of his strengths. Richardson has gone as far to say he was the key to Bingo's offence early in the year, and that was when guys like Silvferberg and Da Costa were there too.

That said, the one thing I have heard about his is he has made some poor judgement errors on the PP when manning the point, many of which have lead to short handed opportunities (and goals). But this is common mistake and problem when you put forwards on the point, as they are used to taking chances with the expectation there are guys behind them if the move or pass doesn't work. The risk-reward scenario is just very different, and instinctively, it is tough for forwards to recalibrate this on instantaneous decisions. And then they aren't as good covering for themselves either. Just take a look at Pomminville's SH OT goal in the playoffs to eliminate us many moons ago. There is a certain forward who is made to look quite bad on that goal, who was also manning the point for us on the PP at the time.

In general, nice to see Hoffman up here as he adds some skill to the bottom six, where we are lacking a bit. It's one of the reasons Maclean has been so patient with Regin, because he brings something most of our bottom six don't - speed, some puck handling and creativity. The problem of course, is when your linemates are Kassian and Daugavins, you're still not going to produce much, but it's a positive step. Putting Hoffman with Regin and Condra, or Regin and O'Brien would be a bottom six line with some offensive potential.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:15 AM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Interesting take, and a bit contrarian to the scouting reports and what most people say about Hoffman. After all, he is hardly a physically dominant player - he isn't a true speedster at the pro level, he isn't physically stronger than anyone. He doesn't have a 100mph shot. His hands are pretty elite, but hands with out hockey IQ do you little good. I think if you had Eric Condra's head in that body, he might just be...Eric Condra. I actually think Hoffman has more of a Chris Kelly-like future, than Condra does.

The fact Hoffman is consistently applauded for his two-way play AND plays the point on the PP in Bingo seem to indicate his hockey IQ is one of his strengths. Richardson has gone as far to say he was the key to Bingo's offence early in the year, and that was when guys like Silvferberg and Da Costa were there too.

That said, the one thing I have heard about his is he has made some poor judgement errors on the PP when manning the point, many of which have lead to short handed opportunities (and goals). But this is common mistake and problem when you put forwards on the point, as they are used to taking chances with the expectation there are guys behind them if the move or pass doesn't work. The risk-reward scenario is just very different, and instinctively, it is tough for forwards to recalibrate this on instantaneous decisions. And then they aren't as good covering for themselves either. Just take a look at Pomminville's SH OT goal in the playoffs to eliminate us many moons ago. There is a certain forward who is made to look quite bad on that goal, who was also manning the point for us on the PP at the time.

In general, nice to see Hoffman up here as he adds some skill to the bottom six, where we are lacking a bit. It's one of the reasons Maclean has been so patient with Regin, because he brings something most of our bottom six don't - speed, some puck handling and creativity. The problem of course, is when your linemates are Kassian and Daugavins, you're still not going to produce much, but it's a positive step. Putting Hoffman with Regin and Condra, or Regin and O'Brien would be a bottom six line with some offensive potential.
I think you're downplaying a good portion of his skillset. He's not Erik Karlsson in terms of speed, but there's no question he's one of the faster players out there. He doesn't have Shea Weber's slapshot, or Kyle Turris' release, but he does have a rocket of a shot that with a great release that can beat any goaltender in the world. He also has the ability to deke anyone out of their pants when he chooses the right moment to do it.

As for the accolades he gets, I'm of the opinion he's doing it because of his physical talents in spite of his decision making. When I watch him, I consistently see him dump the puck when there is a player open to pass to, or try a cross-ice pass at the blueline through two defenders etc. (Un)fortunately, at the level of hockey he's playing, he able to make it work anyways a good portion of the time because his talent shines through. And even when it doesn't work, he has enough speed to get back into a defensive position to prevent something particularly bad from happening.

The point I'm trying to make is not that he's a terrible hockey player that doesn't deserve to be called up. It's just that it's a shame that a guy with the physical talents and abilities Hoffman has is being held back by some of the worse decision making I've seen, which will probably prevent him from being anything more than a marginal NHL'er instead of the impact player you would think his talents would allow him to be.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em

Pretty Sure Coach had mentioned Hoff was supposed to be one of the first call ups before he had his unfortunate injury, which says a lot about the guy....also i found it interesting that Silvferberg claimed Hoffman was the only guy he had ever seen skate like Karl, seemingly effortless.

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
More likely the Sens brass want to see how he does in the event that there's an offer for a more proven player. They need to know that someone can step in and fill a void if we ship a guy out.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:03 PM
OgieO

Hoffman on a line with Turris and Alfredsson - per TSNWally

Well, that's kinda interesting.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:14 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post

Seems reasonable. Put him in a position where he doesn't have to handle the puck, and he can't make mistakes with it.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Hoffman has tremendous wheels & skill but where he is lacking is like most young guys with skill & that is defensively he needs to be better & they can teach him that. If he can find his game in Ottawa he could do very well here but if he can't score consistently than he could be another trading peice for Murray.

He should be with Turris & Alfredsson he has their kind of skill & both back check well which should insulate Hoffman. I hope he has a great game against the Rangers & Leafs.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Hoffman - Turris - Alfy means

Latendresse - Zibby - Silfverberg

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:36 PM
OgieO

Quote:
Seems reasonable. Put him in a position where he doesn't have to handle the puck, and he can't make mistakes with it.
Yes, I'm sure that's the reason they put him there...

Old
03-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Hoffman has tremendous wheels & skill but where he is lacking is like most young guys with skill & that is defensively he needs to be better & they can teach him that. If he can find his game in Ottawa he could do very well here but if he can't score consistently than he could be another trading peice for Murray.

He should be with Turris & Alfredsson he has their kind of skill & both back check well which should insulate Hoffman. I hope he has a great game against the Rangers & Leafs.
His defensive play is one of his best traits, not sure who you have been watching.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post

Placeholder for Brassard

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:48 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
His defensive play is one of his best traits, not sure who you have been watching.
It's what his coach said yesterday on the radio, it's an area in his game that he needs to work on.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Asharx

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin with tentacle View Post
This is why

That is gold! Totally going to be stuck in my head the rest of the day.

Where do I sign up for the Hoff fanclub?

Asharx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:35 PM
ChiassonTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Congrats too Hoff ..But id rather have Shane Prince ..

Prince - Zibanejad-Silfverberg

Much more of a dangerous line ..Prince is natural LW goal scorer perfect fit ..Prince and Zibanejad were great together during training camp
Prince will end up the better player in the long run, IMO. I think Jason Pominville is a decent comparable as far as ceilings go.

Right now though Hoffman is MUCH more NHL ready.

ChiassonTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:48 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

Quote:

To be fair, Zib was not known for his hockey sense in the A. Hoff was inches away from scoring his first NHL goal in his first NHL game.

Not saying he'll be anything special, but he might be an upgrade from Dawg.

**** I miss Daug

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:49 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Hoffman - Turris - Alfy means

Latendresse - Zibby - Silfverberg
i like it. the lats - zib - silf line has been great when they played together.

i guess the rest would be:

kass - regin - condra

green - smith - neil

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote