HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homer Lavy bye/bye

Old
03-27-2013, 11:39 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaspari View Post
very interesting article in the post star:

http://poststar.com/sports/phantoms-...a4bcf887a.html

during the strike, you send your young talent to the phantoms and have them play a different system. then when they return to th flyers , they are lost and nobody can understand.

look at Erik Gustafsson,s comment. our defense plays one system while deveoping with the phantoms and a whole other system when the go to the big club. is it any wonder the flyrs do not deveope any players. can this be the problem with Shenn and Couturier. has the organization totally confused them with their tme with the phantoms

one of the main jobs of a gm is to develope talent. it is accomplished by being consistant in your whole organization. holmgren has not done this. he needs to be replaced by someone who lilke lou l. who know how to put a TOTAL ORGANIZATION IN PLACE.

This was interesting.....Devils organization obviously has a book on the Flyers and in that book the section dealing with developing players and what to do and not do has the Flyers as the prime example of what not to do with a big LOL!

Sad...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 03-27-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: engrish
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Funny thing is that after Hitch and Clarke were sent packing Snider essentially said they would build through the draft and wouldn't give up our young players again for vets. Then Holmgren starts giving away picks like tic tacs again and it almost worked in 2010..barely b/c of Pronger and finally letting Stevens go. Then Holmgren resets the team with youth with the Carter and Richards trades which I still like but then Pronger goes down and leaves a massive hole. Now we are ready to give up on Couturier after unloading Bob...this team is acting senile like Snider...

Old
03-27-2013, 11:48 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Funny thing is that after Hitch and Clarke were sent packing Snider essentially said they would build through the draft and wouldn't give up our young players again for vets. Then Holmgren starts giving away picks like tic tacs again and it almost worked in 2010..barely b/c of Pronger and finally letting Stevens go. Then Holmgren resets the team with youth with the Carter and Richards trades which I still like but then Pronger goes down and leaves a massive hole. Now we are ready to give up on Couturier after unloading Bob...this team is acting senile like Snider...
This

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
^^ That

Since '06 the Kings missed the Playoffs three times, afterwards lost twice in the first round and one the Cup last year. Noone in Philly would have accepted the first five seasons the Kings had. The Kings are the Pens of the West, they sucked and built their team through high Draft selections.
Snider said himself after 2007 that they dont rebuild. they reload. Holmgren had what 25 million to work with that summer or whatever it was?
Yes i know the team has some good young talent on the big club. But beyond that there is very little. Laughton, Cousins, Stolarz and Ghost.
I am not advocating blowing it up and starting over. Not by any means. This season would be a great year to do what needs to be done. Build your team up thru the draft. Is there any harm in trying that?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Snider said himself after 2007 that they dont rebuild. they reload. Holmgren had what 25 million to work with that summer or whatever it was?
Yes i know the team has some good young talent on the big club. But beyond that there is very little. Laughton, Cousins, Stolarz and Ghost.
I am not advocating blowing it up and starting over. Not by any means. This season would be a great year to do what needs to be done. Build your team up thru the draft. Is there any harm in trying that?
He can use all the euphemisms he likes but not trading away your youth which implies developing them properly is a rebuild effort. Seriously though Snider needs to stop his meddling anymore and have fun with his trophy wife and play bingo to assuage his competitive prune juices...

Old
03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
i do agree with Meltzer thou nobodies job should be safe.
Wow..that is Bill Meltzer "Raw"

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Game/45/50309

Old
03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Love Metzler's article.

Last edited by Sniped: 03-27-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Sniped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
yeah he sure popped off. He is spot on tho. Sometimes looking at the reality of things is hard.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
This was interesting.....Devils organization obviously has a book on the Flyers and in that book the section dealing with developing players and what to do and not do has the Flyers as the prime example of what not to do with a big LOL!

Sad...
When Murray was made coach I remember some people expressing concern about this very damned thing. I was in the boat of "hey, maybe he'll develop some Dmen!" but others pointed out that it doesn't make sense to have your farm squad playing a completely different system compared to the big club.

Boy, we just keep on finding loads of major flaws with the organization this year. Many of them were predicted by some.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-27-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Doh
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
When Murray was made coach I remember some people expressing concern about this very damned very. I was in the boat of "hey, maybe he'll develop some Dmen!" but others pointed out that it doesn't make sense to have your farm squad playing a completely different system compared to the big club.

Boy, we just keep on finding loads of major flaws with the organization this year. Many of them were predicted by some.
Yup ..I actually think this is very telling and a major organizational flaw as far as approach to player development. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing..if it did it should slap itself in the face.

With young players you promote continuity and try to nurture their development. Nobody likes unpredictability especially young players trying to learn the ropes of the big leagues. Yeah players needs to learn adaptability to systems but it's just counterintuitive to do it this way especially considering how successful teams like the Devils are with developing interchangeable players to fit their system.

I mean this whole season is one big cluster****. You have a GM that gets stay at home D men to support a goalie that supposedly plays better in a system type set up. Then you have a coach that has a totally opposite approach and promotes pinches and pressure depite not having the personnel to do so. Then your callups come from a stifling system on the farm team ...I mean total confusion!

Old
03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Yup ..I actually think this is very telling and a major organizational flaw as far as approach to player development. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing..if it did it should slap itself in the face.

With young players you promote continuity and try to nurture their development. Nobody likes unpredictability especially young players trying to learn the ropes of the big leagues. Yeah players needs to learn adaptability to systems but it's just counterintuitive to do it this way especially considering how successful teams like the Devils are with developing interchangeable players to fit their system.

I mean this whole season is one big cluster****. You have a GM that gets stay at home D men to support a goalie that supposedly plays better in a system type set up. Then you have a coach that has a totally opposite approach and promotes pinches and pressure depite not having the personnel to do so. Then your callups come from a stifling system on the farm team ...I mean total confusion!
Meanwhile, the reality of the d-corps' abilities has forced Lavi to progressively turn the team into a defensive shell with a conservative, hesitant offense. But instead of a defensive shell, we basically get the fetal position, because the coach doesn't know how to coach that style and it squanders a lot of the team's strengths while only emphasizing their weaknesses.

Remind me...who's idea was it to have a defensive team coached by a hard forechecking coach? Ah yes...Holmgren.

Though it's entirely possible that, once Snider watched Gagne, Carter, and Richards lifting the Cup, he called Homer and decreed that we'd be the Kings now. Genius.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:54 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
yeah he sure popped off. He is spot on tho. Sometimes looking at the reality of things is hard.
A very good article that nicely and succinctly covers our various complaints and observations. The one thing that disappointed me a bit is how easily he lets Giroux off. It's a good bit more than "has fallen short of expectations". He looks like a fraction of the hell-bent-for-leather player of last season. Close-ups of his face during the game showed him looking overwhelmed (if I can interpret the facial expression).

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
A very good article that nicely and succinctly covers our various complaints and observations. The one thing that disappointed me a bit is how easily he lets Giroux off. It's a good bit more than "has fallen short of expectations". He looks like a fraction of the hell-bent-for-leather player of last season. Close-ups of his face during the game showed him looking overwhelmed (if I can interpret the facial expression).
Well hes the Captain on a team that is pretty bad right now. I am sure he is not having a whole lot of fun. Not trying to make excuses for the guy. hes had his moments this year where he has struggled. I am sure he taking on more responsibility for the losing then he should.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:58 PM
achdumeingute

I fail to see how giroux can be blame for alot. Individually he's still nearly a ppt with improved face offs and drastically improved defense....

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

For those still bashing Homer, I suppose Luke Schenn just fell out of the sky and into our lap.

Grossman did for that matter too.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
For those still bashing Homer, I suppose Luke Schenn just fell out of the sky and into our lap.

Grossman did for that matter too.
And Bryzgalov.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:24 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
And Bryzgalov.
Like I said earlier, what do you want Homer to say?

There were two options. Let Bob grow or go out and spend big bucks to bring in a so called "franchise" guy.

After the end of 2011 merry-go-round upper management and the fanbase demanded something be done. He went and did it.

I don't fault him for feeling the pressure to make a huge move.

The biggest thing now is to correct the mistake.

When all said and done that will force me to decided if Homer should stay.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Blowing it up and starting over is the easy way out anyway. After all, what's easier than giving up and saying we'll just start all over again? It's definitely a lot harder to stand on your feet and try to make it through the struggle. So when people talk about rebuilding I always associate it with a loser mentality, but I guess it comes down to semantics and what one means when talking about a rebuild. There's nothing bad about taking a step back to be better in the future, and certainly there's a thin line between how far is too much and when stepping back becomes giving up in times of struggle. Nonetheless, I think hoping to finish at the bottom or last shortly after the midway point of the season is a loser mentality, and defeats the purpose of having a (competitive) league. Doing so for seasons in row is even worse, and I definitely wouldn't support us sucking for years if the excuse was that we're building our team through the draft. By not supporting, I don't mean I wouldn't be a Flyers fan anymore, but if someone made fun of us, I'd have a laugh on our own expense, as well.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I do understand why the Flyers went after Bryzgalov...the context should be indisbutable. Unfortunately, doesn't change the fact that Snider panicked and it was imprudent to meddle and pressure Holmgren. So yeah there is a fair share of blame to go around on that one and one could say that the biggest problem to the Bryzgalov affair has been Bryzgalov himself for playing subpar last year and this year playing mediocre for the most part even considering the crap sandwich slices that surround him...

Old
03-27-2013, 04:04 PM
CyborgLindros

On a brighter note the Flyers will probably have a coaching change at the end of the season. Homer could hire someone who plays a system closer to what the Phantoms are doing now. While on the Phantoms Schenn was over a PPG and Couts was almost a PPG if i remember correctly. Now I get that they were NHL players playing in the AHL, but so were a lot of teams. So maybe just maybe they could break out next year.

CyborgLindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Legit bummed that nobody found my gif a few pages back as hilarious as I do

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
**** is real when Bill goes no holds barred.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:49 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Legit bummed that nobody found my gif a few pages back as hilarious as I do
Its used too much. Its pretty much the Pitbull commercial of GIFS.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Its used too much. Its pretty much the Pitbull commercial of GIFS.
I was unaware. This is completely new to me hahaha.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't see how anyone can think Holmgren has done a great job when the team gets worse every year while the guys he gets rid of go on to be successful for their new teams.
This sums it up nicely.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote