HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I'm not saying Bryz is hte main reason we're struggling. I'm just saying he isn't helping his cause.

Besides, what good is scoring more than 2 goals when Bryz is consistently giving up 3-4+ every night?
The same could be said that we score so infrequently that even if we gave up 1 or 2 goals we'd be in the running for a loss because we can't make it up. It works both ways.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:16 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Hey, I wish more people would make the "GUYS BRYZ ISNT THE PROBLEM " post. It never gets old!!

I am really starting to hate watching this current team play. It's been painful, but I always enjoy watching hockey. They play an ugly all around game with ugly goaltending. It is brutal to watch.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:21 AM
SolidSnakeUS

What people should be saying is that Bryz is A problem, not THE problem. Bryz is just one of many problems this team has. As I've said before, inconsistency by everyone is the name of the game for this team this year. If you truly believe that by Bryz going and someone else coming in will fix everything instantly... just...

Bryz is not living up to his pay AT ALL, but that shouldn't excuse anyone else.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
FlyingPhilly

^ Bryz is a problem, he is not the problem. It is just that some here go out of their way to absolve most or all of the blame on Bryz so that he gets little to no blame for anything. They make excuses for Bryz and pin all or most of the blame on everything else. Fact is every player, coach, and the GM gets some blame.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
What people should be saying is that Bryz is A problem, not THE problem. Bryz is just one of many problems this team has. As I've said before, inconsistency by everyone is the name of the game for this team this year. If you truly believe that by Bryz going and someone else coming in will fix everything instantly... just...

There is no singular problem. Bryz hasn't lived up to his expectations. The only people on this team who have IMO are Voracek (who has honestly exceeded them this year,) Simmonds for his heart and constant hard play, and maybe Giroux because he's still almost producing at a PPG (even though ES play is weak.)

This is a team full of disappointments.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:35 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
The same could be said that we score so infrequently that even if we gave up 1 or 2 goals we'd be in the running for a loss because we can't make it up. It works both ways.
fair enough, but my point still stands about Bryz.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Bryz after the game last night...

Old
03-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pq View Post
Bryz after the game last night...

It's a shame because you can tell the guy truly cares.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Talbot + Read + 3rd for Bobrovsky?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
I really like the guy. I would like to see him play a full season next year with a coach who has a more balanced system. But I still don't know if I would keep him past next season unless he plays like a top 5 goalie for the whole year. That might be the only way it would be possible to keep that contract

Old
03-27-2013, 10:53 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
This is what I dont understand, usually we will give a guy a little bit of credit if it's clear he is trying and honestly cares. That's the Philly mindset to me, give it your all and people will at least give you respect, but Bryz gets absolutely torn apart here.

This isn't me defending his play, because it has been sub-par to mediocre most of the season with flashes of brilliance. But he is absolutely despised around here, at least to me. It's not his fault the contract was ridiculous. If Homer came to me and offered me a contract to play that I had no business getting, I wouldn't be able to sign it fast enough.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
This is what I dont understand, usually we will give a guy a little bit of credit if it's clear he is trying and honestly cares. That's the Philly mindset to me, give it your all and people will at least give you respect, but Bryz gets absolutely torn apart here.

This isn't me defending his play, because it has been sub-par to mediocre most of the season with flashes of brilliance. But he is absolutely despised around here, at least to me. It's not his fault the contract was ridiculous. If Homer came to me and offered me a contract to play that I had no business getting, I wouldn't be able to sign it fast enough.
because a lot of people didn't know who the hell he was before he got here.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Devastate

Quote:

I love the guy. I really and truly do. But his play has been substandard at best. He just isn't cutting it.

If he was putting up 2.50 and .915 numbers, i'd be the happiest man on the planet, but i don't think he can do that on this team.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:

It gets made a lot worse and he puts under a much bigger microscope because once people refuse to believe he's not doing well, or defend him at every single turn and absolve him of all blame, the people responding are going to dig away.

I wish the guy had worked out. Even if he were amnestied after 3 years, it would have been fantastic to have 3 years of steady goaltending.

03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:

This IS what people have been saying. All season. I don't know why some people think any criticism of Bryz is total blame for everything going wrong.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:01 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Bryzgalov is NOT a franchise goalie..period! When on his game he is a good goalie with occassional flashes of elite skills but he has yet to prove he can carry the Flyers team for any extended period of time . Sadly, Bob has already shown he can shoulder a load and single handedly lead a horse to water

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 03-27-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Flyers team. Not "A" team
Old
03-27-2013, 12:36 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Bryzgalov is NOT a franchise goalie..period! When on his game he is a good goalie with occassional flashes of elite skills but he has yet to prove he can carry the Flyers team for any extended period of time . Sadly, Bob has already shown he can shoulder a load and single handedly lead a horse to water
no he hasnt. Lets wait and see how he performs in the playoffs before we say that about him

Old
03-27-2013, 12:40 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
no he hasnt. Lets wait and see how he performs in the playoffs before we say that about him
I agree. He's on a very good hotstreak right now. Bryz had one for a month and a half last year, too. If Bob can sustain it going forward, yes. You can't judge a goalie by their streaks.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Everytime I see Bob play

I actually met Bob in 2010 at an eagles game in the comcast spectacor box seats. Really nice dude, didn't know much English but I wish we never traded him.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I agree. He's on a very good hotstreak right now. Bryz had one for a month and a half last year, too. If Bob can sustain it going forward, yes. You can't judge a goalie by their streaks.
Nabokov was somewhat it reminds me of someone that was damn good in the regular season and **** the bed in the playoffs (mainly for the Sharks). He probably choked more than Thornton.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

it would be nice to see what he / any goalie could do around here if:

1. they hustled from the start of every game & worked hard ALL game like NYR did
2. played D like they did vs Pitt

i'd take my chances keeping Bryz, freeing up room by ditching Briere, tightening up the D & getting a better D man

Old
03-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
it would be nice to see what he / any goalie could do around here if:

1. they hustled from the start of every game & worked hard ALL game like NYR did
2. played D like they did vs Pitt

i'd take my chances keeping Bryz, freeing up room by ditching Briere, tightening up the D & getting a better D man
To adequately tighten up D and play the defensive shell you seemingly advocate, we'd have to basically tear the team down. Guys like Voracek, Giroux, Read, Simmonds and hell, even Hartnell aren't all that suited for that sort of system. I don't think Talbot is either. Fedotenko, Couturier, and B. Schenn are the only ones off the top of my head who wouldn't have their best skills squandered while their weaknesses are exposed. The players on this team aren't as good at making decisions away from the puck as the players we had in 2010, and we'd really notice that in a NYR style system. You can't just snap your fingers and magic up some better defense. You have to work with the players you've got, and I don't see how a Rangers' style system truly works with this team.

It's easier to buy out the goalie who clearly needs a LOT of protection to succeed, than it is to strip out and rebuild the team so he can have a better environment for the remaining 2-3 seasons he's in his prime. It just makes more sense. When you take a chance on Bryz past the buyout period, you're assuming he's not going to get any worse than he already is right now between now and age 39. That's extraordinarily unlikely. Taking a chance with him is basically damning the team down the road.

Edit: by the way, Boston plays a system not terribly different from ours. They modeled their team on ours. They just have better 2 way players. So I don't know what exactly you're advocating when you say we should play like Boston, because it doesn't make a lot of sense. So I just assume you mean NYR, since those are the two teams you always say we should be like. Too bad it's not as easy as simply copying what works for another team. Newsflash: we have different rosters with different skillsets. That sorta matters a lot.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-27-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 05:21 PM
BringBackStevens

If you need the team around you to play a certain way to play decent, you are not an elite goalie. Or even a top 15 goalie.

Not good enough

Old
03-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

this team needs to
1. hustle for 60 minutes every game
2. play more sound defensively

regardless of who is in net.

anybody denying that is delusional.

period.

Old