HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

110% does it again...

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Beatnik

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Politaclly incorrect is one thing, racism is an other.
Bureau is the only one that is clearly racist and it's nothing new. I'd suggest people to complain to TQS or the CRTC to take him out.

TQS are always waiting for their idiots to go too far to react, like they did with Gilles Proulx.

It's a formula that works though, they have "110% like" debates all day long now because even if it piss people off, they are still watching. This board is a good example, it seems that most whiners are watching every night.

Old
08-10-2006, 02:07 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

110% < 100 Watts.

I've never seen the show. My mind is already made up about watching based on these threads, and based on my knowledge of who the panelists are.

As a French Canadian with a rather unusual openess to the outside world, I cannot stomach those who personify a narrowly inward-looking perspective.

Just don't watch.

Old
08-10-2006, 02:17 AM
Ginoro

if you want a taste of it, they're having the whole show in 3 or 4 parts on tqs.ca the day after.

Old
08-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

OK Slick Rick is my new favorite poster.

As for 110%, let`s face it, everybody watch it in the province, everybody is talking about it and somebody like Bergy is one of the most popular figures. It`s mainly entertainment, these guys are not gonna reinvent the wheel on any subjects. Heck they`re not FAN Radio or whatever show that ****** with the shades is doing where they got to the bottom of things.

I actually thought this Russian debate was one of the bests they`ve had because you had two guys in Bergeron and Bureau that have had experiences in dealing with them and they also had a guy who based his Doctorate thesis on Russia and russian athletes. And after all this, it`s him that looked like an ignorant fool! HE said things like:"Russians are not lazy, these guys have characters and want to win" and showed example of the Revolutions. Bergy was like:"***? Everybody wants to win! What the Hell are we talking about here, there`s lazy guys coming from Russian, Ontario, Quebec, and there`s hardworking guys coming from everywhere". But these guys were giving example of things they knew. Like Bergy not having problems with the Finns or any other guys from foreign countries but there was always mistrust in Russian players when he would talk to them. Bureau talked about this russian rookie guy(in Pittsburg?) where he and Mark Bergevin had to show him to wash and dress and stuff like that. So it all came down to adaptation.

I`ve seen worst shows.

Old
08-10-2006, 03:37 AM
MacHabs93

It's entertaining. And that's all that really matters. You don't HAVE to believe everything TV says you know ...

If you would, you'd also believe "la ligue des noirs" when they say that the gangstas didn't **** that girl. While showing the actual video.

You would also probably believe Cherry when he disses french-canadians ? And what do you say to Borat who makes Kahzak people look like they are cavemen ?

Gotta take some and leave some. 110% is entertainment, nothing more.

Old
08-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I`ve always seen the show as going to the pub with your buddies, drinking and shooting stuff outthere about nothing and everything.

Old
08-10-2006, 04:31 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Same with Koivu; Saku dosen't speak french... he he speaks Finnish ( from the Finnish/Estonian/Hungarian group) .. he speaks good english because he speaks swedish, which is also a germanic language; same roots... can't ask him to learn a 3 language group...
Actually, here in Finland we start taking classes in english long before swedish ... even though we have bilingual country. 3rd grade vs 7th grade in my case.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post

Of course, if there were valid options I'd listen to them too, but there are little or none.
Well there is Au-dessus de la mêlée at 23h00 on Radio-Canada... I think it is a much better show than 110%.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I pass by the building it's filmed at every day on my way to work. I should write funny messages on the window.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:12 AM
mcphee

At 11 last night, I was in bed, the dogs had been out, lights were off downstairs, I read a few pages of a book I'd read before, just 'cause I liked it, I slept well.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:14 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

Gagnon looks smart, but he's as dumb as the others. The only french journalist moral integrity is Mathias Brunet.
...so you come here to start a thread about the " racism " of 110 % againts the Russians , but you are saying that there only one french journalist that has a moral integrity ?

Old
08-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
At 11 last night, I was in bed, the dogs had been out, lights were off downstairs, I read a few pages of a book I'd read before, just 'cause I liked it, I slept well.
Bravo. Do you want a cookie, or breakfast burrito, or something?

Old
08-10-2006, 07:17 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
110% < 100 Watts.

I've never seen the show. My mind is already made up about watching based on these threads, and based on my knowledge of who the panelists are.

As a French Canadian with a rather unusual openess to the outside world, I cannot stomach those who personify a narrowly inward-looking perspective.

Just don't watch.
The times I've watched, they always have a few guys that carry this attitude of knowing just a bit more than you, not an attitude I enjoy in people, so sleep is always an option. I agree with your sentiment. You find it all over, it just isn't always on television.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:18 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Bravo. Do you want a cookie, or breakfast burrito, or something?
Nahh, I like some cheddar on toast at about 6.45, with the Gazette and The Standard Freeholder.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Nahh, I like some cheddar on toast at about 6.45, with the Gazette and The Standard Freeholder.
I had cheddar on toast for breakfast!

OFF TO WORK!

Old
08-10-2006, 07:22 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
...so you come here to start a thread about the " racism " of 110 % againts the Russians , but you are saying that there only one french journalist that has a moral integrity ?
Ahah, we've unearthed a scandal, the basic dishonesty of the French Canadian journalist. I read today that Harry Sinden would make sure that Red Fisher had access to a few glasses of Chivas while in the boston press box, obviously a sign that alcoholism runs rampant thru the English media. Hmm, with the French dishonesty and the anglos staggering around drunk, my guys are being taken advantage of surely.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
also, Kovalev=Kovalioffe
Ovechkin = AVIETCHKIN!!

those are new ones to me.
Actually, that is a good pronounciation.

Old
08-10-2006, 07:53 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibaj View Post
Well there is Au-dessus de la mêlée at 23h00 on Radio-Canada... I think it is a much better show than 110%.
I watch au dessus de la mêlée also... when they don't talk about decathlon or international swiming competitions.

I'm kinda hockey-centric.

Old
08-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Puckhead58*

Good point. Don Cherry made a comment about "french guys" and all hell broke loose. If the french people don't like comments like that, they better not make the same comments towards other nationalities. Otherwise, shut up and take what you get.

Old
08-10-2006, 08:17 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Good point. Don Cherry made a comment about "french guys" and all hell broke loose. If the french people don't like comments like that, they better not make the same comments towards other nationalities. Otherwise, shut up and take what you get.
You seem to assume that individulas speak for the masses. A jerk is a jerk, speaking for themselves, they aren't spokespeople.

Old
08-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
You seem to assume that individulas speak for the masses. A jerk is a jerk, speaking for themselves, they aren't spokespeople.
Well why was there such an uproar if this was the case? People should have just said that Don Cherry is a senile old fart that doesn't know how ignorant he really is and forgot it was ever said, but no....it was a big deal.

Old
08-10-2006, 08:22 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Well let's talk about the Lord Durham Report that said Quebecers had no worth unless they were assimilated.

Some Europeans have it easier getting used to the life on this continent than other do.
Are you talking about a bloody 300 year old report? Come on.

Old
08-10-2006, 08:27 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Start by pretending an isolated incident (Cherry-boy made a comment about "french guys") and ramp up to increadible generalization ("If the french people don't like comment like that" The french people? All of us?).

Of course, finish this tour de force of reasoning by simplistic and low level consequence ("... shut up and take what you get").

Yeah, I'd say that type of argumentation is going to further the discussion a lot.

Last time I cared to listen to cherry boy, his comments weren't that far off from select 110% contributors. I simply don't listen to it and I don't talk about it. I don't care.

Most of us "french people" simply put him on snooze.

I suggest you do the same. We can't stop idiocy in the world, I can't stop select idiots from the Rest-Of-Canada from bashing "the french people" (as you say).

I can only give my humble opinion in these kind of discussion.

And guess what? I sleep well at night.

And yes, there is talk in the media when Cherry-boy reaches the stratosphere of stupidity.

I can only guess that it would be the same in ROC's media if a few more people cared enough to learn french.

*Ahem*

(see? we're into politics again! lol)

Last edited by CaptCrunch: 08-10-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old
08-10-2006, 08:37 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Why the hell do you ahve to bring out that lord durham crap? People say that kind of crap about us so it makes it ok for us to use the same kind of ignorance in our comments towards other cultures?

They call the russians soft. They should read a bit about the battle of stalingrad.
All cultures were ***** and pillaged in the past. Try being a Scottish highlander in the 17-18 century. Anyone know Gaelic? All cultures change. We are all asimilated into being Americans anyway, as they are changed by us. Its a Global village.

Last edited by toshiro: 08-10-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old
08-10-2006, 08:37 AM
mcphee

French people are so sensitive.

Closed Thread