HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 05:06 PM
WhalerBlue

vCash: 500
1 hour until game time. Guess it is just me and 4 others for tonight' game at CJ's. Wel there will be others, but not others from here.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:13 PM
CBJWhaler

Mistele suspended for 6 games from the hit in game 1.

I would also join you at cj but I have the livestream tonight at home

Old
03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
1 hour until game time. Guess it is just me and 4 others for tonight' game at CJ's. Wel there will be others, but not others from here.
My wife and I will be there.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
Mistele suspended for 6 games from the hit in game 1.

I would also join you at cj but I have the livestream tonight at home
...and Basso only gets 1 game for Sarnia. I figured Plymouth would come out on the short end of the stick on the suspensions -- it's been going on all season.

Six games is extremely harsh for Mistele, considering he only received a 2 minute minor. But, it's a typical Whalers suspension. Vellucci must have run over David Branch's dog or something like that. I gave up expecting fair treatment from the OHL office years ago.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:50 AM
the4thHansonbrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
...and Basso only gets 1 game for Sarnia. I figured Plymouth would come out on the short end of the stick on the suspensions -- it's been going on all season.

Six games is extremely harsh for Mistele, considering he only received a 2 minute minor. But, it's a typical Whalers suspension. Vellucci must have run over David Branch's dog or something like that. I gave up expecting fair treatment from the OHL office years ago.
How is 6 games harsh? It was a forearm to the head...Carnevale is out with a concussion...it's a direct head shot. The fact it was only a 2 min penalty only goes to show the level of officiating in the OHL. To quote Joe Monette..."Slim Pickens" I guess. As for Basso's, Wilson milked it which is why he was given the 5, had Wilson missed a shift because he was hurt, then fine give Basso more than 1 game. Certainly worth a suspension though, don't get me wrong...swing a stick at someone is as bad as head shots...but when a player doesn't miss a shift, clearly it is not nearly as severe as it looks. Although it could be argued that maybe Basso should have had at least 2 games...

Old
03-26-2013, 10:03 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4thHansonbrother View Post
How is 6 games harsh? It was a forearm to the head...Carnevale is out with a concussion...it's a direct head shot. The fact it was only a 2 min penalty only goes to show the level of officiating in the OHL. To quote Joe Monette..."Slim Pickens" I guess. As for Basso's, Wilson milked it which is why he was given the 5, had Wilson missed a shift because he was hurt, then fine give Basso more than 1 game. Certainly worth a suspension though, don't get me wrong...swing a stick at someone is as bad as head shots...but when a player doesn't miss a shift, clearly it is not nearly as severe as it looks. Although it could be argued that maybe Basso should have had at least 2 games...
You just took the words out of my mouth. Great post

Old
03-26-2013, 08:38 PM
WhalerBlue

Mistele hit-look at the video. It may not appear to be what you think it is. Look closely. Suspension probably, 6 games never.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:00 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Mistele hit-look at the video. It may not appear to be what you think it is. Look closely. Suspension probably, 6 games never.
Do you have a link for the video?

So from your comment, are you saying he didn't make contact to the head?

Old
03-27-2013, 08:27 AM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Do you have a link for the video?

So from your comment, are you saying he didn't make contact to the head?
No, I am saying that he did, but the positioning changed a little bit prior to the hit. I looked at it and looked at it, thought suspension okay-when six games comes down pretty much confirms the way we feel about officiating and league mandates towards Plymouth, Saginaw and a couple of others. It is my opinion that 6 games was a bit much for a player with no history. I feel like Mistele did not do this hit with intention to take off a head or put some player out. There are players in the league that are branded as that type of player, hopefully Mistele won't be tagged that way. Just a shame for everybody. I will get the video and figure out how to put the link in a later post.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
No, I am saying that he did, but the positioning changed a little bit prior to the hit. I looked at it and looked at it, thought suspension okay-when six games comes down pretty much confirms the way we feel about officiating and league mandates towards Plymouth, Saginaw and a couple of others. It is my opinion that 6 games was a bit much for a player with no history. I feel like Mistele did not do this hit with intention to take off a head or put some player out. There are players in the league that are branded as that type of player, hopefully Mistele won't be tagged that way. Just a shame for everybody. I will get the video and figure out how to put the link in a later post.
This is the problem with the game today. No respect for other players. (This is a general statement and not directed just at Mistele) 90% of head shots are completely avoidable. And this was one of them. Maybe someday players will get respect for each other on the ice and we wont see this type of hit anymore.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:01 AM
kdb527

Quote:
This is the problem with the game today. No respect for other players. (This is a general statement and not directed just at Mistele) 90% of head shots are completely avoidable. And this was one of them. Maybe someday players will get respect for each other on the ice and we wont see this type of hit anymore.
Completely agree. Also taking a full swing and using your stick as a weapon againtst another player should get the same type of extra discipline. It is just as dangerous and cannot be misinterpreted as an accidental hockey play.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:31 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb527 View Post
Completely agree. Also taking a full swing and using your stick as a weapon againtst another player should get the same type of extra discipline. It is just as dangerous and cannot be misinterpreted as an accidental hockey play.
I agree, but injury has allot to do with a length of suspension. Which I do not agree with.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
I agree, but injury has allot to do with a length of suspension. Which I do not agree with.
That is my biggest issue with the way the OHL hands out suspensions. Had Carnavale not been hurt, it's quite likely that Mistele would have incurred a reduced or no suspension at all. I also referenced two other incidents that occurred earlier this season against the Whalers (one by Posa, the other by Hottot), where the action by the opponent could only be interpreted as a deliberate intent to injure, yet because fortunately the Plymouth player did not get injured, the suspension was very short in one case, and no suspension was assessed in the 2nd case (which actually was three separate incidents by the same player in the same game).

This is the third suspension of 5 or more games assessed to a Plymouth player this season. Each was for an incident that occurred near the puck during the course of play. The two incidents by opponents I mentioned were either far away from the play (Posa) or occurred well after play had been whistled dead (Hottot in all three of his infractions). That is one of the reasons I think the league deals with Plymouth more harshly than some other teams.

I hope WhalerBlue is able to post the video of the Mistele hit -- I could not find one. When I saw the play live, it did not look like much -- certainly nothing that I would expect to result in such a severe suspension. Of course, our eyes can deceive us in such situations, so seeing a replay of the incident would be beneficial to the discussion.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:46 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
That is my biggest issue with the way the OHL hands out suspensions. Had Carnavale not been hurt, it's quite likely that Mistele would have incurred a reduced or no suspension at all. I also referenced two other incidents that occurred earlier this season against the Whalers (one by Posa, the other by Hottot), where the action by the opponent could only be interpreted as a deliberate intent to injure, yet because fortunately the Plymouth player did not get injured, the suspension was very short in one case, and no suspension was assessed in the 2nd case (which actually was three separate incidents by the same player in the same game).

This is the third suspension of 5 or more games assessed to a Plymouth player this season. Each was for an incident that occurred near the puck during the course of play. The two incidents by opponents I mentioned were either far away from the play (Posa) or occurred well after play had been whistled dead (Hottot in all three of his infractions). That is one of the reasons I think the league deals with Plymouth more harshly than some other teams.

I hope WhalerBlue is able to post the video of the Mistele hit -- I could not find one. When I saw the play live, it did not look like much -- certainly nothing that I would expect to result in such a severe suspension. Of course, our eyes can deceive us in such situations, so seeing a replay of the incident would be beneficial to the discussion.
Completely untrue. All suspensions are handled the same. Team does not matter. Player does as in any league.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
massey

Quote:

I wouldnt say that Plymouth has been any worse off than other teams.Yours might make less sense for sure but I have watched a pile of games on the OHL website along with Archives games and I just dont understand the logic of some of the suspensions to your point.Owen Sound and the Soo had some screwy ones also.Now I think this is fairly new to the refs and I think we have speeded the game up that they have only a split second to make the call.Thats tough as I have ref before.Never seen so many linesman involved in penality calls before.Even in reviewing the hits it is hard to call sometimes but with video review and the ability to slow it down should make the suspension easier to call.A good clean hit is almost always called today as a penality.Just my thoughts.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:31 PM
WhalerBlue

Whalers win 5-2. Swept Sarnia. JP Anderson-WOW! He faced alot of shots tonight. Did Vanderwiel get a game misconduct? I thought I heard 10 minute, but never saw him after that.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Whalers win 5-2. Swept Sarnia. JP Anderson-WOW! He faced alot of shots tonight. Did Vanderwiel get a game misconduct? I thought I heard 10 minute, but never saw him after that.
I was listening to the game on the radio, and did not hear his name called after the penalty. Radio announcer Pete Krupsky thought the penalty was rather severe, but I obviously couldn't see it on the radio.

EDIT: checking the game sheet, Vanderweil did indeed get a game misconduct. So, how many games will he get suspended for?

The only downsides to the sweep are (1) no Whalers home game this weekend to attend, and (2) Mistele doesn't get any more games eaten away from his suspension before Round 2. He'll miss the first three games of that series.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:59 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
I was listening to the game on the radio, and did not hear his name called after the penalty. Radio announcer Pete Krupsky thought the penalty was rather severe, but I obviously couldn't see it on the radio.

EDIT: checking the game sheet, Vanderweil did indeed get a game misconduct. So, how many games will he get suspended for?

The only downsides to the sweep are (1) no Whalers home game this weekend to attend, and (2) Mistele doesn't get any more games eaten away from his suspension before Round 2. He'll miss the first three games of that series.
I checked the score sheet and saw a major was called and for some reason it didn't click (maybe cause we scored short handed on Meurs minor and I believe they scored at the end of that major penalty). Once I saw it was a major, I remembered that it has to be a game misconduct and it will get a review I am sure. He will probably get 10 games......just because.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:44 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:

....The only downsides to the sweep are (1) no Whalers home game this weekend to attend, and (2) Mistele doesn't get any more games eaten away from his suspension before Round 2. He'll miss the first three games of that series.
Is it a disadvantage to have over a week off between games? In the NHL I know it is a luxury but I still don't like the idea. It seems possible to get caught off guard by a team that comes in hot.

Congrats Whalers but I am not overly emotional about the sweep after seeing the 1st game. If it goes that smoothly the whole way we'll be champions of the universe. Nothing worth winning is that easy.

Any predictions on who we'll face next? Which matchup is best for us? Owen Sound, Kitchner, or Guelph?

Old
03-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Completely untrue. All suspensions are handled the same. Team does not matter. Player does as in any league.
This is completely false, the league is very biased. Probably 90% of suspensions aren't warranted for the length of time they give them.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:28 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Is it a disadvantage to have over a week off between games? In the NHL I know it is a luxury but I still don't like the idea. It seems possible to get caught off guard by a team that comes in hot.

Congrats Whalers but I am not overly emotional about the sweep after seeing the 1st game. If it goes that smoothly the whole way we'll be champions of the universe. Nothing worth winning is that easy.

Any predictions on who we'll face next? Which matchup is best for us? Owen Sound, Kitchner, or Guelph?
Long layoffs didnt hurt the Knights last year. They went 4Gs, 6Gs, 4Gs, 5Gs. I guess it depends on the teams attitude/focus and coaching staffs ability to keep them sharp. Velucci will have them ready, Im sure. Could go either way I guess, but I think its overblown.
A team coming in hot can burn you with 2 days off or ten.

Matchups-
Ktown would be the revenge series. Great goalie and maybe the best talent of the 3 you mentioned but also the softest IMO.
OS- tough team to play against, they are feisty, gritty hard nosed and play on the edge. Maybe short on depth scoring. Great goalie. Theyll leave a few bumps n bruises in any series
Guelph- similar to OS. Tough to play against but maybe not as much talent. The also walk the line and when their playing balls to the wall they are tough. Sometimes inconsistent and at times scoring may be an issue. Good goalie

Dont know Ply well enough to know who theyd rather have but Id guess Guelph.
It all depends on who wins the OS/Soo battle. OS wins, you get them no matter what. The Soo takes 2 of next 3. It can be Guelph/ Ktown.

Good luck Whalers and hopefully we see a London/ PLy conf final

Old
03-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:

I do not see the layoff as a big deal. At least it means there are no more games for us to potentially get players suspended before the next round begins.

I think any opponent in the next round is going to be a handful. The series will certainly be much tougher than the first round, no matter who the Whalers play. We were very fortunate to get the most advantageous matchup for the first round. If Plymouth had drawn the Soo and Owen Sound had Sarnia, I think the Attack would be resting now and we would still be playing.

Areknights gives a pretty good overview of each opponent in his response. Personally, I would like to see Sault Ste Marie beat Owen Sound and take our chances against the Kitchener - Guelph survivor.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
I checked the score sheet and saw a major was called and for some reason it didn't click (maybe cause we scored short handed on Meurs minor and I believe they scored at the end of that major penalty). Once I saw it was a major, I remembered that it has to be a game misconduct and it will get a review I am sure. He will probably get 10 games......just because.
Congrats to Plymouth. By far the best team in the OHL.

I don't think there will be any suspension. Vanderwiel caught Chapman off balance but he didn't drive him into the boards. He did though hit him from behind. Chapman came back the next period. If they do suspend him, I can only see 1 or 2 games.

Was very impressed with MacDonald when Vanderwiel was chirping the ref's and MacDonald told him to shut up. You can see the respect the players have for MacDonald, Vanderwiel didn't say a word after that.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:

Writing off Sault Ste. Marie already? I wouldn't. I think they will be Plymouth's toughest matchup next round.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:22 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Writing off Sault Ste. Marie already? I wouldn't. I think they will be Plymouth's toughest matchup next round.
It's impossible for Plymouth to face Soo next round.

Closed Thread