HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan O'Byrne Officially Signed

Old
08-09-2006, 05:14 PM
CH Wizard

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Awesome news indeed.

I had the chance to watch Cornell over 4 times, in the past two years. I even saw him score...he has a nice point shot. I noticed that he played more then 25 minutes in all of these games. I think, he knows he's ready for the pro's and signed right away. He forgot his senior season, it's not like he can't go back to college. Good decision, big raw d's tend to take much more time to adapt to pro's. He has wheels for a guy his size I must say. He needs to fill out his frame.

He's underrated, no one was hyping him in his freshman year he only improved (god knows we overhype prospects sometimes for nada). I wish him good luck.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
bopeep

I got a very good job offer today, but R.O. signing tops it hands down

bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:11 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Meaning there's an other man on your chair ?
Interesting....

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:32 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Meaning there's an other man on your chair ?
Interesting....
hahaha im glad to see im not the only one who thought something along those lines haha

and as for the signing... woot! awesome

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlusty the clown View Post
Awesome news indeed.

I had the chance to watch Cornell over 4 times, in the past two years. I even saw him score...he has a nice point shot. I noticed that he played more then 25 minutes in all of these games. I think, he knows he's ready for the pro's and signed right away. He forgot his senior season, it's not like he can't go back to college. Good decision, big raw d's tend to take much more time to adapt to pro's. He has wheels for a guy his size I must say. He needs to fill out his frame.

He's underrated, no one was hyping him in his freshman year he only improved (god knows we overhype prospects sometimes for nada). I wish him good luck.
6'5" and 225 lbs is pretty good. Tall guys often look scrawny even when their weight is decent. I think 225 is fighting fit for his height. He would have to put on another 25lbs to look like he has filled out his frame - and that is likely way too heavy for a guy who relies on his great wheels and agility.

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Shatmat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
hahaha im glad to see im not the only one who thought something along those lines haha

and as for the signing... woot! awesome
Hehe I'm surprised so few did. Just for the sake to clarify my chair story... I'm always alone on it

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:59 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Yahoo !!!! O'Byrne for ever !! cote and O'Byrne will fighting for the number 6 spot
Um, fighting for the 7th spot. How dare you forget about Mark Streit. It's his turn to shine.

Seriously though, Cote and O'Byrne for the 7th spot, there's no chance O'Byrne starts with the Habs. At this point I'd give the nod to Dan Jancevski.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 11:02 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005 View Post
Um, fighting for the 7th spot. How dare you forget about Mark Streit. It's his turn to shine.

Seriously though, Cote and O'Byrne for the 7th spot, there's no chance O'Byrne starts with the Habs. At this point I'd give the nod to Dan Jancevski.
You are right, OByrne has 0 chance to start the season with the Habs, he will have to adapt to the pro level first... Coté should get the 7th defenseman job, he just deserves it

Great signing for the Habs, I cant wait to see OByrne play with the Bulldogs!!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 11:46 PM
skoivu

I read the HF talent analysis on him and it doesnt really tell me much. Havn't had the chacne to see him play. Anyone wanna give me a more in depth profile on this kid?Maybe a comparison to another dman already in the Bigs???????

skoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 11:50 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoivu View Post
I read the HF talent analysis on him and it doesnt really tell me much. Havn't had the chacne to see him play. Anyone wanna give me a more in depth profile on this kid?Maybe a comparison to another dman already in the Bigs???????
Easy... You wont see many 6'5 225 lbs guys skate that well in your life, especially considering the guy has interesting overall agility and puckhandling skills... He is first and one a physical force!

I dont think he will ever bring as much to the table as Komisarek will all his carreer long but you definitively have a solid one in OByrn!

Old
08-09-2006, 11:57 PM
skoivu

Quote:
Easy... You wont see many 6'5 225 lbs guys skate that well in your life, especially considering the guy has interesting overall agility and puckhandling skills... He is first and one a physical force!
The reason i wanted to know is the HF analysis says he is relative physical. When i think 6'5 225 relative isnt the word that gets me excited. With that size I wanna hear the word mean or punishing defender.

Who would u compare him 2. Hal Gill, Colin White, Kieth Carney with more offense,

Can he fight??? He did come outta the BCHL

Old
08-10-2006, 02:57 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
The reason i wanted to know is the HF analysis says he is relative physical. When i think 6'5 225 relative isnt the word that gets me excited. With that size I wanna hear the word mean or punishing defender.

Who would u compare him 2. Hal Gill, Colin White, Kieth Carney with more offense,

Can he fight??? He did come outta the BCHL
Tough to say who he really looks like but certainly not Hal Gill, OByrne is a way better skater.

Old
08-10-2006, 03:09 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Tough to say who he really looks like but certainly not Hal Gill, OByrne is a way better skater.

i posted this before 6'5 235

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/apps/pbcs....6%2FCPSPORTS01

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 03:34 AM
MacHabs93

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Snap pis bourdonne!

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Pakeha

Quote:
He is a Souray type defenceman IMO. Maybe a Larry Robinson type player.

Old
08-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakeha View Post
He is a Souray type defenceman IMO. Maybe a Larry Robinson type player.
Are you kidding!?!?!? o'byrne is nothing short of bobby orr.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 09:07 AM
skoivu

Quote:
i posted this before 6'5 235

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/apps/pbcs....6%2FCPSPORTS01
I think i got a pretty good idea about what kind of agility he may have now. I think he shoulda play absket ball with those ups

Old
08-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
In the Gazette it's written that the deal is for 450 K this year and 475 K next year if he makes the big club. Wow, nice steal for the Habs. You'd think a 3rd rounder would command more than minimum dollars.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
In the Gazette it's written that the deal is for 450 K this year and 475 K next year if he makes the big club. Wow, nice steal for the Habs. You'd think a 3rd rounder would command more than minimum dollars.

There's probably a signing bonus up front on top of that. It would be in the range of 200 or 300K

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Pakeha

Word on the street is a 300K signing bonus. $450K and $475K if he is up. Likely in the 60K-70K range in the AHL.

Old
08-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Are you kidding!?!?!? o'byrne is nothing short of bobby orr.
I like the way Ryan plays a lot. He is a very intelligent player, with great wheels, excellent agility, can play aggressive when required and will fight if he has to. But lets not make him into something he really isn't - He is not a Bobby Orr or a Paul Coffey.

Old
08-10-2006, 11:43 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:

I don't know of a good comparison but I call add some info. He's huge, fast and has good mobility. It is indeed rare to see someone so big skate well with such good speed, this really helps him lay some big time hits. That said he has toned down the physicaly play. During his freshman year he would run around and hit everything or at least try to hit everything. He was going out of his way to take the body, which often led to him spending time in the box or on the bench.

His coach at Cornell imo is a great coach, love the way that team plays, such a good system they have there. They strongly beleive in playing a heavey forchecking, and very tight defensive play as well. Hard working, high energy but often low scoring and not always a high level of competition. I know that Coach Schafer and the assistant coach Brekke have worked with him to get him more focused on his play and not running around so much.

By his sophomore year he began to show he was understanding what the coaches were telling him. He started to cut down on the physical play and he started to show improvement in his decision making and reaction time, which were imo his main weaknessess aside from not much offensive production.

The big strides came for him this past season during his junior year. He took over as the teams top defensemen, was on both #1 PP and PK units. He clearly cut back on the physical play in a smart way. While his penalty minute totals stayed around the same, his ice time trippled from his freshman year, going from over 10 minutes to sometime over 30 minutes a game. This showed that he had the confidence of his coach and it showed in his play. His decision making and reaction time showed a lot of improvement as well as his offensive production. He has a cannon of a shot and he moves the puck well.

I don't know how he will fare in the AHL but I got to think he'll need a good deal of time in the AHL before being ready for full time NHL duty. He still needs to improve his decision making and reaction time. I hope to see him have success with his offensive game, but I don't expect him to ever really been known for his offense, but then again I would have never thought of Souray for bringing offense.

If I was forced to compare him to someone in the NHL, the player he reminds me a bit of is actually Komisarek. They sort of have the same problems when pressured with the puck in their own end. I think OB is more mobile and faster, plus I think he turns to the right quicker which should help him with the small speedy players that at times has given Komisarek troubles. Plus they both are big, good skating, physical defensemen that have a cannon for a shot and can move the puck well but not great. Generally I don't like to compare players since it's hard to do and seems kind of pointless since each player has their own skills and abilities.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:25 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
At the risk of being redundant, I must insist that your reports are always delightfull to read.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Pakeha

excellent analysis

Old
08-10-2006, 01:02 PM
skoivu

Quote:
I don't know of a good comparison but I call add some info. He's huge, fast and has good mobility. It is indeed rare to see someone so big skate well with such good speed, this really helps him lay some big time hits. That said he has toned down the physicaly play. During his freshman year he would run around and hit everything or at least try to hit everything. He was going out of his way to take the body, which often led to him spending time in the box or on the bench.

His coach at Cornell imo is a great coach, love the way that team plays, such a good system they have there. They strongly beleive in playing a heavey forchecking, and very tight defensive play as well. Hard working, high energy but often low scoring and not always a high level of competition. I know that Coach Schafer and the assistant coach Brekke have worked with him to get him more focused on his play and not running around so much.

By his sophomore year he began to show he was understanding what the coaches were telling him. He started to cut down on the physical play and he started to show improvement in his decision making and reaction time, which were imo his main weaknessess aside from not much offensive production.

The big strides came for him this past season during his junior year. He took over as the teams top defensemen, was on both #1 PP and PK units. He clearly cut back on the physical play in a smart way. While his penalty minute totals stayed around the same, his ice time trippled from his freshman year, going from over 10 minutes to sometime over 30 minutes a game. This showed that he had the confidence of his coach and it showed in his play. His decision making and reaction time showed a lot of improvement as well as his offensive production. He has a cannon of a shot and he moves the puck well.

I don't know how he will fare in the AHL but I got to think he'll need a good deal of time in the AHL before being ready for full time NHL duty. He still needs to improve his decision making and reaction time. I hope to see him have success with his offensive game, but I don't expect him to ever really been known for his offense, but then again I would have never thought of Souray for bringing offense.

If I was forced to compare him to someone in the NHL, the player he reminds me a bit of is actually Komisarek. They sort of have the same problems when pressured with the puck in their own end. I think OB is more mobile and faster, plus I think he turns to the right quicker which should help him with the small speedy players that at times has given Komisarek troubles. Plus they both are big, good skating, physical defensemen that have a cannon for a shot and can move the puck well but not great. Generally I don't like to compare players since it's hard to do and seems kind of pointless since each player has their own skills and abilities.
Thanx alot. there sure is alota info there. I just wanted to know his style when i asked for a comparison. I thought it would be easier. But ur post was great. Appreciate it