HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 01:03 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Hes dominating grown men in a pro league. I do see your point..no one thought much of Coyle until he left college and went to the Q and put up huge numbers on one of the best teams in the CHL. Hertl is very impressive, hes big and strong and tenacious on the puck and throws his weight around.
He's hardly dominating, but he's showing that he can produce in many different ways and be a difference maker and a top-end creator in a men's league. I'd rather see that than him dominate in the QMJHL like Jaskin or Coyle.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:10 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Hes dominating grown men in a pro league. I do see your point..no one thought much of Coyle until he left college and went to the Q and put up huge numbers on one of the best teams in the CHL. Hertl is very impressive, hes big and strong and tenacious on the puck and throws his weight around.
And how many players have dominated either league, only to accomplish nothing in the NHL?

It is like this.

Let us say you have three leagues, "1", "2", and "3".

You have one player who is "A" in a few areas, and generally "B" in everything else. Then, there is the other player who is "A" in a ton of areas, and then "C" in one or two. In the "3" league, both can dominate; perhaps the second player more than the balanced one. But as they graduate to the "2" league, the second player is going to start to find his "C" attributes holding him back. At the "1" league, the balanced player will be able to hang with the crowd while being better than most at a couple of things. The other player is going to find that his "C" attributes are so behind the curve, that he won't be able to hack it.

This happens too often. Just stressing caution.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He's hardly dominating, but he's showing that he can produce in many different ways and be a difference maker and a top-end creator in a men's league. I'd rather see that than him dominate in the QMJHL like Jaskin or Coyle.
Exactly. Hes developing good habits and learning how to have an impact other than scoring. The CHL would be a regression for him.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
And how many players have dominated either league, only to accomplish nothing in the NHL?

It is like this.

You have one player who is "A" in a few areas, and generally "B" in everything else. Then, there is the other player who is "A" in a ton of areas, and then "C" in one or two. In the "3" league, both can dominate; perhaps the second player more than the balanced one. But as they graduate to the "2" league, the second player is going to start to find his "C" attributes holding him back. At the "1" league, the balanced player will be able to hang with the crowd while being better than most at a couple of things. The other player is going to find that his "C" attributes are so behind the curve, that he won't be able to hack it.

Oh I know what you're saying. I think by playing with more mature players is better for him and helps in developing more A and B attributes as to putting up video game numbers against kids in the CHL or USHL. Lot of big kids like Hertl develop horrible habits in junior due to being bigger and stronger and aren't ready for professional hockey.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:09 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post

It is like this.

Right, and I'm saying I don't see any 'C' attributes in Hertl. He's a very good all-around player with great hands, smarts, and physicality. His skating is a 'B', his defense for now is a 'B'.

I know, don't overhype your prospects because they'll ultimately disappoint you, and don't assume your player will make the show when the majority of them don't. I'm just saying, from watching him perform against his peers and the WJC and against men in the Czech Extraliga with my own (albeit amateur) eyes, I just don't see any 'C' attributes.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Not at all like Kopitar, I don't think.

I'm starting to think he might be better as a winger. He's played RW with Slavia and I think he's actually more of a goal-scorer than a playmaker, although he can do both well. He has the work ethic and the smarts to be a good two-way player, but he's really raw in that department.

I know I'm biased, but I just don't see a way he doesn't become a top-6 forward. I could definitely be wrong, because I'm just so excited about this kid, but he's so strong and has such good offensive instincts, I just don't see a way that he busts.
My two cents...I don't see any reason why the Sharks would want to move a player like Hertl to the wing. He has above average hands, vision and hockey sense, he's the type of player who wants to carry the puck, he makes the players around him better and a player who should be put in a position to have the puck on his stick as much as possible.

His two way game is probably somewhere around average right now but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to improve it. He also needs to continue to work on his first step / acceleration but his overall skating has already improved quite a bit.

At 19 and playing in a mens league, he's been really impressive. It's going to be interesting to see how he / his game translates when he decides to move to NA.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
My two cents...I don't see any reason why the Sharks would want to move a player like Hertl to the wing. He has above average hands, vision and hockey sense, he's the type of player who wants to carry the puck, he makes the players around him better and a player who should be put in a position to have the puck on his stick as much as possible.

His two way game is probably somewhere around average right now but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to improve it. He also needs to continue to work on his first step / acceleration but his overall skating has already improved quite a bit.

At 19 and playing in a mens league, he's been really impressive. It's going to be interesting to see how he / his game translates when he decides to move to NA.
My take is that he is best utilized when he's on the boards, in front of the net, driving the net, in the trenches, passing from behind the net, shooting from the slot. We'll see how the org feels, but he seems to be comfortable at center (like at the WJC) or at wing (like with Slavia).

Also, you have to consider the Sharks' log-jam at center and relative weakness at RW. What the Sharks do right now is have multiple centers on each line. That way they have several different players who can win faceoffs, play the third man low, back-check, etc. Hertl seems like he will fit in well with that formant.

Quote:
Shawn Mitchell @smitchcd
Told #Buckeyes junior forward Chris Crane (West Chester, Ohio) has signed with #SJSharks. Was San Jose's 7th-round pick in 2010.

This kind of surprises me...
Me too. Isn't he ranked like a 4.5B by HF? Plus, I WANT NIETO.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Right, and I'm saying I don't see any 'C' attributes in Hertl. He's a very good all-around player with great hands, smarts, and physicality. His skating is a 'B', his defense for now is a 'B'.

I know, don't overhype your prospects because they'll ultimately disappoint you, and don't assume your player will make the show when the majority of them don't. I'm just saying, from watching him perform against his peers and the WJC and against men in the Czech Extraliga with my own (albeit amateur) eyes, I just don't see any 'C' attributes.
I agree with your assessment. I've been really impressed by Hertl in the few games that I've watched him. We need to get him to the NHL asap so that DW sees how good he is first hand and doesn't trade him.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:28 AM
KirbyDots

@Jon_Allred
Appears new #BU head coach David Quinn planned to talk to #SJSProspect Matt Nieto today. #SJSharks #WorSharks http://dailyfreepress.com/2013/03/27...ers-successor/

Uh oh, new coach Quinn is going to give Nieto the we need you speech, probably offer to make him captain too.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 03-27-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: fix tweet attribution, add link
Old
03-27-2013, 01:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
@Jon_Allred
Appears new #BU head coach David Quinn planned to talk to #SJSProspect Matt Nieto today. #SJSharks #WorSharks http://dailyfreepress.com/2013/03/27...ers-successor/

Uh oh, new coach Quinn is going to give Nieto the we need you speech, probably offer to make him captain too.
******* it Quinn, we want Nieto.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Kitten Mittons

Doug Wilson needs to promise the "C" to Nieto if he comes to San Jose.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:28 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

https://twitter.com/matt_nieto

no hints from Nieto's twitter

Matt Nieto ‏@matt_nieto 15h

if you ever want to go on a disaster date with a significant other, go see the film spring breakers #getmeouttahere

....I guess Matt has a sister with Down's Syndrome. Looks like he and his mother are very proud of her and there's a pic of her in a Sharks sweater on his moms twitter

https://twitter.com/Laspooky1

His mom seems colorful. "Old School Punk Rock Chola, LBC Girl, Makeup Artist, Wife and Mother. Go BU Hockey!!!!"

Last edited by SpinTheBlackCircle: 03-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Doug Wilson needs to promise the "C" to Nieto if he comes to San Jose.
The Sharks need to get someone over there saying "Hey Matty, we have money.".

Old
03-27-2013, 02:46 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
The Sharks need to get someone over there saying "Hey Matty, we have money.".
and booz.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:06 PM
ieglover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
and booz.
He played for BU, access to booz was not a problem.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:28 AM
mbahr

I am currently at BU, and there are rumors around BU that he is going to leave. However, I have mutual friend with him, and they think he wants to finish out his senior year but if the sharks really want him to leave, I think he would.

If Garrett Noonan (Nashville) leaves then Nieto will too. They kind of do everything together.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahr View Post
I am currently at BU, and there are rumors around BU that he is going to leave. However, I have mutual friend with him, and they think he wants to finish out his senior year but if the sharks really want him to leave, I think he would.

If Garrett Noonan (Nashville) leaves then Nieto will too. They kind of do everything together.
Thanks for the info. Obviously we are all hoping to get him signed and playing in Worcester asap.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahr View Post

Have him tell him we want him to join the Sharks.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:55 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

OHL Sting out of playoffs....

JonPauly34 6:52am via Mobile Web (M5) These last 5 yrs have been a blast. So much learnt and so many great memories. Thanks to my coaches, trainers, the fans, and most...

JonPauly34 6:54am via Mobile Web (M5)
...importantly my teammates who made the experience what it was. Sad to let it go but so grateful and fortunate for the 5 yrs I got to spend

Have to wonder if he'll report to Worcester or San Francisco.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
OHL Sting out of playoffs....

JonPauly34 6:52am via Mobile Web (M5) These last 5 yrs have been a blast. So much learnt and so many great memories. Thanks to my coaches, trainers, the fans, and most...

JonPauly34 6:54am via Mobile Web (M5)
...importantly my teammates who made the experience what it was. Sad to let it go but so grateful and fortunate for the 5 yrs I got to spend

Have to wonder if he'll report to Worcester or San Francisco.
I'm confused, who is that and why would he report to our affiliates?

Old
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'm confused, who is that and why would he report to our affiliates?
I mentioned him in the WorSharks thread - it's JP Anderson and he just finished his OA season in Sarnia.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
I mentioned him in the WorSharks thread - it's JP Anderson and he just finished his OA season in Sarnia.
haha OOOH... that makes sense now.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
lamini

Slavia's game 3 started few minutes ago

Old
03-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Lebanezer

Hertl has gotten minimal ice time in the 3rd (I've only been watching the 3rd). Hasn't been a great period for Slavia...

Maybe I spoke too soon. Slavia just scored with 2 minutes left to make it 3-2.

Last edited by Lebanezer: 03-28-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Things happen
Old
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
lamini

Hertl lost puck, Plzen leads 4-2

Closed Thread