HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion 6.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2013, 01:03 AM
  #876
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,414
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Hes dominating grown men in a pro league. I do see your point..no one thought much of Coyle until he left college and went to the Q and put up huge numbers on one of the best teams in the CHL. Hertl is very impressive, hes big and strong and tenacious on the puck and throws his weight around.
He's hardly dominating, but he's showing that he can produce in many different ways and be a difference maker and a top-end creator in a men's league. I'd rather see that than him dominate in the QMJHL like Jaskin or Coyle.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:10 AM
  #877
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Hes dominating grown men in a pro league. I do see your point..no one thought much of Coyle until he left college and went to the Q and put up huge numbers on one of the best teams in the CHL. Hertl is very impressive, hes big and strong and tenacious on the puck and throws his weight around.
And how many players have dominated either league, only to accomplish nothing in the NHL?

It is like this.

Let us say you have three leagues, "1", "2", and "3".

You have one player who is "A" in a few areas, and generally "B" in everything else. Then, there is the other player who is "A" in a ton of areas, and then "C" in one or two. In the "3" league, both can dominate; perhaps the second player more than the balanced one. But as they graduate to the "2" league, the second player is going to start to find his "C" attributes holding him back. At the "1" league, the balanced player will be able to hang with the crowd while being better than most at a couple of things. The other player is going to find that his "C" attributes are so behind the curve, that he won't be able to hack it.

This happens too often. Just stressing caution.

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 AM
  #878
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 32,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He's hardly dominating, but he's showing that he can produce in many different ways and be a difference maker and a top-end creator in a men's league. I'd rather see that than him dominate in the QMJHL like Jaskin or Coyle.
Exactly. Hes developing good habits and learning how to have an impact other than scoring. The CHL would be a regression for him.

Gene Parmesan is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 01:22 AM
  #879
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 32,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
And how many players have dominated either league, only to accomplish nothing in the NHL?

It is like this.

Let us say you have three leagues, "1", "2", and "3".

You have one player who is "A" in a few areas, and generally "B" in everything else. Then, there is the other player who is "A" in a ton of areas, and then "C" in one or two. In the "3" league, both can dominate; perhaps the second player more than the balanced one. But as they graduate to the "2" league, the second player is going to start to find his "C" attributes holding him back. At the "1" league, the balanced player will be able to hang with the crowd while being better than most at a couple of things. The other player is going to find that his "C" attributes are so behind the curve, that he won't be able to hack it.

This happens too often. Just stressing caution.
Oh I know what you're saying. I think by playing with more mature players is better for him and helps in developing more A and B attributes as to putting up video game numbers against kids in the CHL or USHL. Lot of big kids like Hertl develop horrible habits in junior due to being bigger and stronger and aren't ready for professional hockey.

Gene Parmesan is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 02:09 AM
  #880
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,414
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
And how many players have dominated either league, only to accomplish nothing in the NHL?

It is like this.

Let us say you have three leagues, "1", "2", and "3".

You have one player who is "A" in a few areas, and generally "B" in everything else. Then, there is the other player who is "A" in a ton of areas, and then "C" in one or two. In the "3" league, both can dominate; perhaps the second player more than the balanced one. But as they graduate to the "2" league, the second player is going to start to find his "C" attributes holding him back. At the "1" league, the balanced player will be able to hang with the crowd while being better than most at a couple of things. The other player is going to find that his "C" attributes are so behind the curve, that he won't be able to hack it.

This happens too often. Just stressing caution.
Right, and I'm saying I don't see any 'C' attributes in Hertl. He's a very good all-around player with great hands, smarts, and physicality. His skating is a 'B', his defense for now is a 'B'.

I know, don't overhype your prospects because they'll ultimately disappoint you, and don't assume your player will make the show when the majority of them don't. I'm just saying, from watching him perform against his peers and the WJC and against men in the Czech Extraliga with my own (albeit amateur) eyes, I just don't see any 'C' attributes.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
  #881
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Not at all like Kopitar, I don't think.

I'm starting to think he might be better as a winger. He's played RW with Slavia and I think he's actually more of a goal-scorer than a playmaker, although he can do both well. He has the work ethic and the smarts to be a good two-way player, but he's really raw in that department.

I know I'm biased, but I just don't see a way he doesn't become a top-6 forward. I could definitely be wrong, because I'm just so excited about this kid, but he's so strong and has such good offensive instincts, I just don't see a way that he busts.
My two cents...I don't see any reason why the Sharks would want to move a player like Hertl to the wing. He has above average hands, vision and hockey sense, he's the type of player who wants to carry the puck, he makes the players around him better and a player who should be put in a position to have the puck on his stick as much as possible.

His two way game is probably somewhere around average right now but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to improve it. He also needs to continue to work on his first step / acceleration but his overall skating has already improved quite a bit.

At 19 and playing in a mens league, he's been really impressive. It's going to be interesting to see how he / his game translates when he decides to move to NA.

stalockrox is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  #882
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,414
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
My two cents...I don't see any reason why the Sharks would want to move a player like Hertl to the wing. He has above average hands, vision and hockey sense, he's the type of player who wants to carry the puck, he makes the players around him better and a player who should be put in a position to have the puck on his stick as much as possible.

His two way game is probably somewhere around average right now but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to improve it. He also needs to continue to work on his first step / acceleration but his overall skating has already improved quite a bit.

At 19 and playing in a mens league, he's been really impressive. It's going to be interesting to see how he / his game translates when he decides to move to NA.
My take is that he is best utilized when he's on the boards, in front of the net, driving the net, in the trenches, passing from behind the net, shooting from the slot. We'll see how the org feels, but he seems to be comfortable at center (like at the WJC) or at wing (like with Slavia).

Also, you have to consider the Sharks' log-jam at center and relative weakness at RW. What the Sharks do right now is have multiple centers on each line. That way they have several different players who can win faceoffs, play the third man low, back-check, etc. Hertl seems like he will fit in well with that formant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Shawn Mitchell @smitchcd
Told #Buckeyes junior forward Chris Crane (West Chester, Ohio) has signed with #SJSharks. Was San Jose's 7th-round pick in 2010.

This kind of surprises me...
Me too. Isn't he ranked like a 4.5B by HF? Plus, I WANT NIETO.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
  #883
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Right, and I'm saying I don't see any 'C' attributes in Hertl. He's a very good all-around player with great hands, smarts, and physicality. His skating is a 'B', his defense for now is a 'B'.

I know, don't overhype your prospects because they'll ultimately disappoint you, and don't assume your player will make the show when the majority of them don't. I'm just saying, from watching him perform against his peers and the WJC and against men in the Czech Extraliga with my own (albeit amateur) eyes, I just don't see any 'C' attributes.
I agree with your assessment. I've been really impressed by Hertl in the few games that I've watched him. We need to get him to the NHL asap so that DW sees how good he is first hand and doesn't trade him.

Lebanezer is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 11:28 AM
  #884
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,926
vCash: 500
@Jon_Allred
Appears new #BU head coach David Quinn planned to talk to #SJSProspect Matt Nieto today. #SJSharks #WorSharks http://dailyfreepress.com/2013/03/27...ers-successor/

Uh oh, new coach Quinn is going to give Nieto the we need you speech, probably offer to make him captain too.


Last edited by LadyStanley: 03-27-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: fix tweet attribution, add link
KirbyDots is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 01:30 PM
  #885
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,414
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
@Jon_Allred
Appears new #BU head coach David Quinn planned to talk to #SJSProspect Matt Nieto today. #SJSharks #WorSharks http://dailyfreepress.com/2013/03/27...ers-successor/

Uh oh, new coach Quinn is going to give Nieto the we need you speech, probably offer to make him captain too.
******* it Quinn, we want Nieto.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:24 PM
  #886
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,562
vCash: 500
Doug Wilson needs to promise the "C" to Nieto if he comes to San Jose.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:28 PM
  #887
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 33,503
vCash: 500
https://twitter.com/matt_nieto

no hints from Nieto's twitter

Matt Nieto ‏@matt_nieto 15h

if you ever want to go on a disaster date with a significant other, go see the film spring breakers #getmeouttahere

....I guess Matt has a sister with Down's Syndrome. Looks like he and his mother are very proud of her and there's a pic of her in a Sharks sweater on his moms twitter

https://twitter.com/Laspooky1

His mom seems colorful. "Old School Punk Rock Chola, LBC Girl, Makeup Artist, Wife and Mother. Go BU Hockey!!!!"

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such

Last edited by SpinTheBlackCircle: 03-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
  #888
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,414
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Doug Wilson needs to promise the "C" to Nieto if he comes to San Jose.
The Sharks need to get someone over there saying "Hey Matty, we have money.".

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:46 PM
  #889
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,787
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
The Sharks need to get someone over there saying "Hey Matty, we have money.".
and booz.

sjshark91 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:06 PM
  #890
ieglover
Registered User
 
ieglover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
and booz.
He played for BU, access to booz was not a problem.

ieglover is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 12:28 AM
  #891
mbahr
Registered User
 
mbahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
I am currently at BU, and there are rumors around BU that he is going to leave. However, I have mutual friend with him, and they think he wants to finish out his senior year but if the sharks really want him to leave, I think he would.

If Garrett Noonan (Nashville) leaves then Nieto will too. They kind of do everything together.

mbahr is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 12:48 AM
  #892
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahr View Post
I am currently at BU, and there are rumors around BU that he is going to leave. However, I have mutual friend with him, and they think he wants to finish out his senior year but if the sharks really want him to leave, I think he would.

If Garrett Noonan (Nashville) leaves then Nieto will too. They kind of do everything together.
Thanks for the info. Obviously we are all hoping to get him signed and playing in Worcester asap.

Lebanezer is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 01:34 AM
  #893
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: With JR
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahr View Post
I am currently at BU, and there are rumors around BU that he is going to leave. However, I have mutual friend with him, and they think he wants to finish out his senior year but if the sharks really want him to leave, I think he would.

If Garrett Noonan (Nashville) leaves then Nieto will too. They kind of do everything together.
Have him tell him we want him to join the Sharks.

Hatrick Marleau is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 08:55 AM
  #894
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,158
vCash: 500
OHL Sting out of playoffs....

JonPauly34 6:52am via Mobile Web (M5) These last 5 yrs have been a blast. So much learnt and so many great memories. Thanks to my coaches, trainers, the fans, and most...

JonPauly34 6:54am via Mobile Web (M5)
...importantly my teammates who made the experience what it was. Sad to let it go but so grateful and fortunate for the 5 yrs I got to spend




Have to wonder if he'll report to Worcester or San Francisco.

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
  #895
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
OHL Sting out of playoffs....

JonPauly34 6:52am via Mobile Web (M5) These last 5 yrs have been a blast. So much learnt and so many great memories. Thanks to my coaches, trainers, the fans, and most...

JonPauly34 6:54am via Mobile Web (M5)
...importantly my teammates who made the experience what it was. Sad to let it go but so grateful and fortunate for the 5 yrs I got to spend




Have to wonder if he'll report to Worcester or San Francisco.
I'm confused, who is that and why would he report to our affiliates?

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
  #896
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'm confused, who is that and why would he report to our affiliates?
I mentioned him in the WorSharks thread - it's JP Anderson and he just finished his OA season in Sarnia.

stalockrox is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
  #897
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I mentioned him in the WorSharks thread - it's JP Anderson and he just finished his OA season in Sarnia.
haha OOOH... that makes sense now.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
  #898
lamini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
Slavia's game 3 started few minutes ago

lamini is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 02:27 PM
  #899
Lebanezer
Registered User
 
Lebanezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
Hertl has gotten minimal ice time in the 3rd (I've only been watching the 3rd). Hasn't been a great period for Slavia...

Maybe I spoke too soon. Slavia just scored with 2 minutes left to make it 3-2.


Last edited by Lebanezer: 03-28-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Things happen
Lebanezer is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
  #900
lamini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
Hertl lost puck, Plzen leads 4-2

lamini is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.