HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Sox/MLB 2013 Thread Part XXII-Opening Day!

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 07:51 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
We got one of the top first basemen in the league, not really sure where you're going with this. My post wasn't talking about the Redsox at all, just laughing at the misfortune and ineptitude of the Padres organization.
And how did that play out? We ended up devaluing him to the point where he was shipped out as part of an epic salary dump. Hardly anything to jump up and down about or gloat at another team's misfortune, IMO.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Kids under 14 will eat free well, before the third inning, provided they go to specially designated concession stands to pick up their Fenway Frank, Goldfish, and carton of juice. Around the park, buy one hot dog, get a second for free. Hot chocolate will be sold for half-price. And beer, which flows from the Fenway taps like liquid gold and costs almost as much, will be sold for $5 per 12-ounce cup, down from between $7.50-$8.50.
$5 beers at Fenway? Buy one get one hot dogs? Snowball 1 Hell 0

http://www.boston.com/sports/2013/03...GVL/story.html

Old
03-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
$5 beers at Fenway? Buy one get one hot dogs? Snowball 1 Hell 0

http://www.boston.com/sports/2013/03...GVL/story.html
I might actually consider going to an April game

Old
03-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
ellsbury hurt his foot today.

wonder if he'll stay with the team

frontandback

hey, speaking of delicate flowers.....

due to the fact that I'm an idiot and didn't adjust my autodraft settings as I was 15 minutes late to my draft, I paid 14.00 for Large Father. It sounds like the recovery from the achilles tendon is progressing slower than thought?

Old
03-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
ellsbury hurt his foot today.

wonder if he'll stay with the team
There's a shocker. Sounds like it's a minor injury and he'll be back soon but it's always something with him.

Most reporters/"insiders" seem to think Bradley will make the team. I know some are against it but I'm all for it.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

less than a week to go, i cant wait!!!

Old
03-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Whats everyone want for opening day line-ups?

If we keep JBJ do we hit him 8th 9th or 2nd?

Is it worth keeping him up to hit him towards the bottom of the order?

Old
03-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
Whats everyone want for opening day line-ups?

If we keep JBJ do we hit him 8th 9th or 2nd?

Is it worth keeping him up to hit him towards the bottom of the order?
8th.

Ellsbury
Victorino
Pedroia
Napoli
Middlebrooks
Gomes
Salty
JBJ
Iglesias

Considering Ortiz is starting on the DL, as is Drew most likely, that lineup makes the most sense. I don't love Victorino 2nd, but he's a better option than JBJ there right now IMO. I keep flip flopping on Gomes and Salty as well.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:47 PM
CDJ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
8th.

Ellsbury
Victorino
Pedroia
Napoli
Middlebrooks
Gomes
Salty
JBJ
Iglesias

Considering Ortiz is starting on the DL, as is Drew most likely, that lineup makes the most sense. I don't love Victorino 2nd, but he's a better option than JBJ there right now IMO. I keep flip flopping on Gomes and Salty as well.
I probably go Salty in front of Gomes to break up the righties a bit.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:05 PM
EverettMike

Bringing JB Jr up before April12th would be mind-numbingly stupid.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Not really. It's not like it's an all or nothing scenario. They can send him down to Pawtucket any time after Ortiz comes back or any time he goes in a slump if they want. There are other ways to get that extra year of service if that's what they want.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
I might actually consider going to an April game
Can't even imagine what the concession lines are going to be like now. They're bad enough with the regular prices. Now you'll miss at least 2 innings of play any time you get thirsty/hungry.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
What's truly mind numbingly stupid is that a big market team like the Sox would actually sweat losing a season of control in 2019 when the guy can help your team now. As in today.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
What's truly mind numbingly stupid is that a big market team like the Sox would actually sweat losing a season of control in 2019 when the guy can help your team now. As in today.
http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...y-roster-spot/

Why create a potential problem for 10 lousy games?

Why give up a year of control for two weeks?

How many wins would Babe Ruth be worth over 10 games?

Old
03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Uh, because you can still send him down over the next 6 years if he struggles and not impact that control for 2019?

Quote:
If Bradley Jr. was to be called up prior to April 12 and remain in the major leagues for the next six seasons without spending fewer than 20 days in the minors he would become a free agent after 2018 instead of 2019.
Besides that, when have the Sox let any of their players they viewed as core guys even get to free agency? They locked up pretty much everyone to long term extensions years before they got to that point. So they could easily do that for JBJ if he becomes what they expect him to be.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Therick67

The Sox do dumb things all the time, see Ortiz's 2 year extension. The Sox have extended lots of guys while they still have control. If JBJ is that good, they could sign him up early.

What a dumb rule to begin with, it should be based on games played IMO.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:22 PM
EverettMike

JB Jr could play at an historic level next year, 40+ Win Shares, and over 10 games that would be worth, what? 2 wins?

Okay, so that historic level is unlikely.

At an MVP level, 30 Win Shares, that is 1-2 wins over 10 games?

Okay, how about just at an All Star Level, 20 Win Shares, 1 win over 10 games?

Now, that makes it sound like he would do that in a vacuum, and that whoever replaces him for those 10 games isn't bringing an value. Unlikely.

So maybe he makes the difference of 1 win for those 10 games, and you give up an entire year of control? That is losing the forest in the trees.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:24 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Uh, because you can still send him down over the next 6 years if he struggles and not impact that control for 2019?

Besides that, when have the Sox let any of their players they viewed as core guys even get to free agency? They locked up pretty much everyone to long term extensions years before they got to that point. So they could easily do that for JBJ if he becomes what they expect him to be.
Because if he is actually good, which is the hope right, that is why this is even a debate, that will never happen.

If he is so good that he never goes back to the minor leagues that extra year will be even more valuable.

I liked having Papelbon one more year, did you? I think it is a good thing to have good players on good salaries. WEIRD I KNOW.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:28 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Because if he is actually good, which is the hope right, that is why this is even a debate, that will never happen.

If he is so good that he never goes back to the minor leagues that extra year will be even more valuable.

I liked having Papelbon one more year, did you? I think it is a good thing to have good players on good salaries. WEIRD I KNOW.
Sure, but that only matters if you CAN'T PAY THE GUY. The Sox have plenty of money to spend, especially since they offloaded about $400 trillion dollars to the freaking Dodgers last year, remember? If they're worried about losing control of a player 7 years from now, things are going to be pretty ****ing bleak in these parts. For them to even consider this is disgusting. They can't cry poor because this isn't the Pirates or Tampa Bay, FFS...

Old
03-27-2013, 03:29 PM
bp13

Quote:

It's funny Mike...I held this EXACT same opinion until last week. Literally the exact same feeling. Then I started coming around to the idea that I'm a fan. If he's clearly your hottest hitter as of today, how can you justify putting a lesser team on the field for 9 crucial games?

It seems the side defending demoting him is trying to minimize the importance of 10 games. But they are simultaneously exaggerating the likelihood that that year of control matters much in the long run, if at all.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Sure, but that only matters if you CAN'T PAY THE GUY. The Sox have plenty of money to spend, especially since they offloaded about $400 trillion dollars to the freaking Dodgers last year, remember? If they're worried about losing control of a player 7 years from now, things are going to be pretty ****ing bleak in these parts. For them to even consider this is disgusting. They can't cry poor because this isn't the Pirates or Tampa Bay, FFS...
They have a budget. They have a limit. They should be worried about 7 years from now. That is what smart teams do.

So why not be smart for 10 games, and then you never ever have to worry about it, tomorrow or in seven years.

(It also makes Bradley more appealing as an asset in case they ever want to trade him.)

Old
03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Therick67

Didn't the Sox extend Youk, Pedroia, Lester, Bucholtz etc, before these guys became f/a?

I can't see JBJ being a superstar and then letting him walk because of money if they want to keep him.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
It's funny Mike...I held this EXACT same opinion until last week. Literally the exact same feeling. Then I started coming around to the idea that I'm a fan. If he's clearly your hottest hitter as of today, how can you justify putting a lesser team on the field for 9 crucial games?

It seems the side defending demoting him is trying to minimize the importance of 10 games. But they are simultaneously exaggerating the likelihood that that year of control matters much in the long run, if at all.
10 games versus 162 games at a better number for the team.

Seems easy, especially when you think how little one player can really impact 10 games.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:34 PM
EverettMike

This isn't about keeping him in the future if they want.

They might not want him even with an extra year of control.

It is about flexibility. Why not take the more prudent long term view when the short term impact is negligible.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:34 PM
bp13

Quote:
JB Jr could play at an historic level next year, 40+ Win Shares, and over 10 games that would be worth, what? 2 wins?

Okay, so that historic level is unlikely.

At an MVP level, 30 Win Shares, that is 1-2 wins over 10 games?

Okay, how about just at an All Star Level, 20 Win Shares, 1 win over 10 games?

Now, that makes it sound like he would do that in a vacuum, and that whoever replaces him for those 10 games isn't bringing an value. Unlikely.

So maybe he makes the difference of 1 win for those 10 games, and you give up an entire year of control? That is losing the forest in the trees.
Two thoughts:

1. This premise assumes the "year of control" actually means anything. For this to be true, he needs to a) be a player they badly want to keep, b) be a player intent on testing free agency (and yeah I know Boras this and that), c) he needs to be a player costly enough to cause a contract issue. Altogether I think these are unlikely. Possible, but still, that lost year of control just means he costs you a bit more...so what? Which brings me to my second point...

2. Given how this franchise stands in this city right now, the start they had last year and the general feeling folks have for them putting business over baseball, I think this decision was already made. He's making this team. This ownership group is not going to hold this kid back to possibly save a few bucks at the risk of fielding a lesser team on Day 1. They're way too sensitive to bad PR.

Closed Thread