HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Saad

Old
03-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Brandon Saad

Up to 4th in points for rookies, 2 behind Gallagher and 4 behind Huberdeau. He's been making some mistakes defenisvely lately, but he's been really good playing on that top line. Definitely exceeded my expectations this season.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:18 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Love Saad's game. The only thing that concerns me is his lack of goal-scoring chances lately. He's been getting some helpers (a couple cheesy ones, but some legit setups aswell), but it seems like his goal-scoring chances are down significantly from his first 10 games. He's not shooting enough.

Other than that, he's been very good. I'm not going to say he's surprised me, because I thought he could contribute at both ends of the rink, but I'm glad he's played as well as he had.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Love Saad's game. The only thing that concerns me is his lack of goal-scoring chances lately. He's been getting some helpers (a couple cheesy ones, but some legit setups aswell), but it seems like his goal-scoring chances are down significantly from his first 10 games. He's not shooting enough.

Other than that, he's been very good. I'm not going to say he's surprised me, because I thought he could contribute at both ends of the rink, but I'm glad he's played as well as he had.
He may be hitting the rookie wall at this point. More games in a shorter time span then he's played since he was 10 years old most likely.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:22 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
He may be hitting the rookie wall at this point. More games in a shorter time span then he's played since he was 10 years old most likely.
Yeah, that probably plays a factor. It's his first Pro season and he's played a lot of hockey this year. (61 total Pro games thus far)

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:26 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Yeah, I think this has a lot to do with it personally. Seemed in the beginning Saad had a great motor that never stopped. Still has a great motor, and seems to have better endurance than most, but he's definitely starting to look gassed on those long shifts.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:01 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Saad has had a few costly turnovers in the last few games, but for a rookie, he has been extraordinary this year. I'm surprised he doesn't have more points than he does.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:19 PM
BobbyJet

Saad's game has tempered a bit lately and has been guilty of trying to do too much - perhaps his ice time should be slightly reduced. Stalberg's game could be better as well. If I was Q I'd swap those two for a few stints and see what happens.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:05 PM
massivegoonery

He's ****ing awesome, not much more to say about that.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Yep

He is everything we hoped he would be ,, Should be fun to watch him in coming years

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:14 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Already producing at a top six level with 16 points in 32 games. Hopefully he can consistently find a scoring touch, because he's going to stick in Chicago for a long time.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:35 AM
LarmerSavardSecord

After seeing him live again, his speed is more noticeable. He’s not in the Grabner- Helm-Stalberg group, but he’s definitely in the 2nd tier of dangerously-fast forwards.

His overall game is already so solid - to the point where his major fault now is he doesn’t finish quality looks. That will come, he has the skill.

We all expected Kane and Toews to be great, but I can’t remember another prospect whose play has jumped out to me since JR. Dude just looks like he can be force 20 minutes a night.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:11 AM
massivegoonery

I remember going to see him play for the first time two years before he was drafted, when he was 16 or 17 playing up with the USNTDP U-18s. From what I'd heard about him to that point I expected him to be one of these kids that hit puberty early and dominated because he was just more developed physically than the rest of the guys around - like an Anders Lee or Yasin Cisse. I tend to be more pessimistic than most in that kind of scenario - I'd prefer a guy that produces when he's smaller than his peers to a guy that produces when he's bigger than his peers as anyone short of Chara isn't going to be bigger than their peers at the top level.

Anyways, I walked out of the rink saying that he was the best pro prospect I'd ever seen play in Bensenville. Pretty glad to actually get one right for a change.

If his teammate Matt Nieto from the USNTDP hits it big, I can quit my job and be a professional scout.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

in a full season, he's on pace for 41 points... as a rookie that's impressiv

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
He's ****ing awesome, not much more to say about that.
This.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:24 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post

It seems like his chances from "team play" are down. I don't think you can really pin that one down in general.

What I have noticed lately is that he's trying more "Toewsesque" moves. He's made some stupendous one-on-one (or 1 on 3) skating moves, and while he doesn't always finish or even get a shot off, I think that bodes very well for him really breaking out from a point perspective. He's already displayed he's got the skating, he's got the shot, he just needs to get to the point where the game slows down for him a little bit. Once that happens he'll be racking up points in bunches.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Saad is awesome. Lock him up as soon as possible because he's going to make himself expensive very fast.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:30 PM
digdug41982

In Saad We Trust.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

He should have another 6-7 assists in all seriousness. He has made some great setups that guys just didn't bury. Toews and Hossa were snake bit for a while there. Kid is going to be really good I think. The points don't really tell the wholes story of how good he's been.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
EbonyRaptor

What we don't know about Saad, and won't for a while, is how he handles success.

I think we saw how well he handled adversity when he took the number 43 in rookie and training camps after he as drafted #43 in 2011 when he had been projected as a top-10 pick at the start of his draft year. Falling half way into the 2nd round seemed to put a chip on his shoulder and he went out and showed what he could do, not only in the Hawks camps where he actually made the team for the first two games of 2011/12 while Carcillo finished his suspension, but then by having an outstanding year after he was sent back to Saginaw in the OHL.

I think we've seen how well he's risen to the challenge of playing on the top line and there's no doubt he has the talent to play there.

What remains to be seen is if he stays motivated and hungry to push himself to improve going into next season when he'll know he has the team made. Will he coast a bit now that he's made the show or will he build upon success and get even better. I've seen nothing to indicate he will rest on laurels rather than stay motivated - just that he needs to do it for him to be worthy of the accolades he is now receiving.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:36 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

10/2011

Saad, Toews, Hossa

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7&postcount=57

Thank you.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
10/2011

Saad, Toews, Hossa

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7&postcount=57

Thank you.
How is your first line coming along

Kane at C
Morin

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:19 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
How is your first line coming along

Kane at C
Morin
Better than having a Stalberg avatar. You should quit while you're ahead.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:32 PM
moose vasko

There are very few guys who come into the league and establish themselves as a physical force but that is what he has done. His combination of speed, strength, and skill is very impressive. I actually kind of like it when he makes mistakes, because I know he will learn from them; all part of the process. He has been very good and I thought last night in the third was one of his best periods of the year.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:58 AM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

It's all ahead for 20! And hopefully a nice playoff run his rookie year will round out season 1 for him, making him that much further a long year 2 and beyond. The kid is a star in the making!

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Better than having a Stalberg avatar. You should quit while you're ahead.
He lost a bet and is manning up, the moment he can that avatar is gone and never to be seen again.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote