HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #32| Mar. 26, 2013| Rangers at Flyers | 7:30 p.m. ET

Old
03-27-2013, 06:19 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
This is the type of game that gets people fired.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:10 AM
gto64dr

Let's fire Lavy, let's fire Holmgren, let's fire all the forwards, let's fire all the defensemen. We can keep Bryz and build the team around him. Or we could just sit the real problem. Bryz came to this team so that we would have an elite, dependable, superstar goalie. He has been anything but. The team is in complete disaray because they can't figure out how to deal with the goaltending. Should we play a more defensive style? Should we get more shot blocking defensemen? Do we need bigger defensemen? Should the forwards stay back and help the defense, because when they do we can't score. Should we play more in the offensive zone. WHAT ARE WE DOING. We can't continue to try to find ways to compensate for our biggest problem, Bryz. He simply does not fit this team, personaly I think he stinks, and they can't find a way to make it all work with him. If Lavy wants to keep his job the first thing he needs to do is sit Bryz. I don't know who would be better, Leighton or Boucher or neither, but we can't go on this way. Every game we are being outgoalied and the team now is losing it's identity and focus. The don't know what to do, he is the cancer.

gto64dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
Lavi looked completly deflated in his presser..

he is a man out of ideas, and knows the axe is coming...
You've been saying that for weeks and he's still there.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:39 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
This is the type of game that gets people fired.
Or traded?

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:48 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Or traded?
Or flat-out waived. Foster should be the first one gone. Then, if I were Holmgren (and assuming that Meszaros isn't injured), I'd be on the phones looking for any deal to get him out of town. If there was no interest, I'd waive him.

At least a move or two should be made to kick this team in the rear.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:53 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
There are plenty of other messages they should be paying attention to. I'm not sure timonen wants to be a part of a rebuilding process. I'd rather give that slot and a few others to some of our AHL guys. I think you have to start giving them better looks to see what we have. And timo may be our pseudo captain but he has lost a step and a lot of his penalties show that. There are better UFA out there this offseason that I would take over him.
I'm completely with you on promoting AHL players in place of the defensive car accident we're seeing. But Timonen, slowing though he may be, is still a valuable player and one of the few keeping this slowly sinking ship from going straight down. Plus, he's one of the few who has the voice and the reputation to call out teammates. If you want to cut deadwood, open cap space and a defensive position, get rid of Meszaros.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:06 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
The Flyers had 12 shots in the first. Although they gave up 15, their insistence that they weren't ready to play doesn't really hold up. They're not going to admit that they're not a very good team though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
Let's fire Lavy, let's fire Holmgren, let's fire all the forwards, let's fire all the defensemen. We can keep Bryz and build the team around him. Or we could just sit the real problem. Bryz came to this team so that we would have an elite, dependable, superstar goalie. He has been anything but. The team is in complete disaray because they can't figure out how to deal with the goaltending. Should we play a more defensive style? Should we get more shot blocking defensemen? Do we need bigger defensemen? Should the forwards stay back and help the defense, because when they do we can't score. Should we play more in the offensive zone. WHAT ARE WE DOING. We can't continue to try to find ways to compensate for our biggest problem, Bryz. He simply does not fit this team, personaly I think he stinks, and they can't find a way to make it all work with him. If Lavy wants to keep his job the first thing he needs to do is sit Bryz. I don't know who would be better, Leighton or Boucher or neither, but we can't go on this way. Every game we are being outgoalied and the team now is losing it's identity and focus. The don't know what to do, he is the cancer.
Only in Philly could people blame an fundamentally broken team on just the goalie. Putting Leighton in net won't stop the constant turnovers, the breakaways, or the odd man rushes, and it won't make the team suddenly able to pass the puck out of it's own zone.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
A rare post from me...Anyway, I am just completely frustrated and just in awe about how bad this team has been lately. One of the more disturbing things that I'm seeing is this team has no ability to get a spark.

Let me preface this by stating, I am a strong Laviolette supporter, I love his style of coaching and how he handles the pace of the game - hate his system. I personally don't think dismissing a coach who has a great track record in the past in the midst of a shortened 48 game season with less practice time, young players (some in there sophomore season) and a ton of adversity is wise.

I don't know if it's just the players don't want to play hard or if it is Lavy...but this team isn't fighting, they aren't making big hits, they aren't doing any of the small things that can turn the tide of a game. If Lavy is telling people not to fight, or if other teams don't want to fight...i don't know. But if you want to win a divisional game against a rival - your going to need to take the body and also be willing to take a punch. Last night this team looked like I was watching a crappy Hurricanes game from a couple years ago.

Luke Schenn - looked horrible in the first period, but has been great in my opinion all season - I really do not get the hate around here. He played over 28 minutes the other night verse Pitt he hits like a train, has a nice shot when he's thinking offensively, and In my opinion has been one of the few bright spots for this season.

Simmonds - Way better player when he is playing angry, you can pretty much tell how the game is going to go based off of Simmonds first couple shifts. If he is playing angry and agressively, we have a way better opportunity of winning, partially because he gets under guys skins, drives the net and is always there after the play is dead. I think other players on the team feed off that.

Hartnell - What a freaking Joke. Real quick to call out his teammates, yell scream and talk like his **** doesn't stink, but he has been taking stupid penalties, making stupid plays, and looks non existent again.

Briere - Washed up and done. He coasts and shows no interest.

Gervais - has been way better then I had anticipated, I have no problem with him as a 6/7.

Foster - Matter of time before he gets himself seriously injured, he has no idea how to get himself in position to receive a hit, wouldn't be surprised if he gets hurt soon.

Grossman - Having a hell of a year back on D, he has really been coming into his own this season, my main concerns with him has been his ability to move the puck up the ice, or to actually handle the puck in his own zone and he has done a great job this year with that, tremendous loss back on D and hope he gets back in soon.

Giroux - Don't know if it's the wrist surgery, if he is trying to do to much, if the C is getting to him, or what his deal is...he is looking hesitant with the puck, doesn't look explosive, and has no ability thus far to turn the tide of the game like other former captains we have had. Im sure he will be fine going forward and needs help from the rest of the team but as the captain, he is the one that needs to provide the spark when everyone else is ******** the bed. He is known as a creative player who has unbelieveable passing ability and hockey sense...he hasn't showed that at all this year.

Powerplay - Anyone else just enraged at the 1:30 second passing back and forth between Giroux and Timonen at the top of the Offensive Zone? Our Second Powerplay unit has been atrocious as well.

Read - I've seen all the trade talk and rumors and I have no idea why so many of you want Read moved - talk about a shot/goal scorer - if he starts hitting the net he is going to get on a role and we are going to regret even thinking about moving him.

Brayden Schenn - Time to start reaching that potential that we've been hearing all about, the so called Best Player outside of the NHL when he came to Philly hasn't showed me much but the potential to be a solid 3rd line guy. Love both the schenns when they are hitting, some of the only players we have that show they care.

Rinaldo Absolutely love Rinaldo and his game, but he needs to be the spark as well, and a fight would do that in certain situations.

Bryzgalov - Anyone trash talking Bryz play is high on drugs. He has been great this year, Would be awesome if our Defensemen would quit blowing coverage and leaving guys open in front of the net, Clear the crease...Forwards start blocking shots and getting up to the point when the play is at the top of our zone. A ton better then last year.

Trade Deadline

1. PMD.
2. Backup Goalie.
3. Do not acquire another 6/7 defensemen.

End rant.

Last edited by Kevin Danko: 03-27-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Bryz.
Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
ClarkeRuled

My, how this team sucks. Can't wait for this nightmare of a season to be over. I just hope Homer doesn't go and do something stupid and trade our first round pick thinking that we still have a shot to make the playoffs.

ClarkeRuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:07 AM
gto64dr

The Flyers closed the gap to 3-2 only to have Bryz cough up another goal. It has been typical for this goalie to give up at least 3 goals per game. He usually gives up one or two on the first 5 shots on goal. The Boston game the Flyers held the Bruins to no shots in the first 11 minutes then Boston scored 3 of the first 5 shots they took. Last night Bryz came out and played great, then in the second and third period he gave up very saveable shots, ony one I give him credit he couldn't stop. You guys don't ever see a shot he should have saved but gave up.

As I said before I followed the Flyers since 1967 and have never seen a softer goalie than Bryz. I can remember games that Bernie played where he faced 50 shots against potent teams like Montreal and gave up just one. Bryz saw 30 last night and gave up 5, Lundqvist 34 and gave up 2.

When we play hard and get close and he coughs up an easy one it destroys the morale of the team. You can't beat the Rangers giving up soft goals because their goalie makes big saves. Look at the two we scored on them. One off a triple ricochet and one off a players face. He just doesn't give up the easy goals. In the first period alone we could have had three or four and Henry made the big saves. Bryz made big saves also but didn't continue for the rest of the game. He is soft.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:14 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
The Flyers closed the gap to 3-2 only to have Bryz cough up another goal. It has been typical for this goalie to give up at least 3 goals per game. He usually gives up one or two on the first 5 shots on goal. The Boston game the Flyers held the Bruins to no shots in the first 11 minutes then Boston scored 3 of the first 5 shots they took. Last night Bryz came out and played great, then in the second and third period he gave up very saveable shots, ony one I give him credit he couldn't stop. You guys don't ever see a shot he should have saved but gave up.

As I said before I followed the Flyers since 1967 and have never seen a softer goalie than Bryz. I can remember games that Bernie played where he faced 50 shots against potent teams like Montreal and gave up just one. Bryz saw 30 last night and gave up 5, Lundqvist 34 and gave up 2.

When we play hard and get close and he coughs up an easy one it destroys the morale of the team. You can't beat the Rangers giving up soft goals because their goalie makes big saves. Look at the two we scored on them. One off a triple ricochet and one off a players face. He just doesn't give up the easy goals. In the first period alone we could have had three or four and Henry made the big saves. Bryz made big saves also but didn't continue for the rest of the game. He is soft.
If I could pick one man to have in the entire nhl it would be lundqvist. I also am so tired of bryz. He absolutely needs to go and we need to try again and bring in bernier who I think will be very affordable. Every team but us has a goaltender some have two. You want to improve your D get a real goalie.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:16 AM
gto64dr

When you think the entire team, coach, and general manager are bad it can't be all of them. It's something else.

Bryz can't make the stops it takes to win in this league. He's big, slow, awkward and depends on his defense too much. You have to accept that there will be breakaways, deflections, breakdowns, two on ones, etc. No team or defense can be that good, there is just too much talent in this league. That's where the great goalies come in. They make the unstoppable plays. Bryz does not. It' always an excuse for him, it's always some one else's fault, it's always, always, always a great shot and not his fault. BS

Old
03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
When you think the entire team, coach, and general manager are bad it can't be all of them. It's something else.

Bryz can't make the stops it takes to win in this league. He's big, slow, awkward and depends on his defense too much. You have to accept that there will be breakaways, deflections, breakdowns, two on ones, etc. No team or defense can be that good, there is just too much talent in this league. That's where the great goalies come in. They make the unstoppable plays. Bryz does not. It' always an excuse for him, it's always some one else's fault, it's always, always, always a great shot and not his fault. BS
He's absolutely a problem. You're making it sound like the team is going out there and dominating, and Bryz is single-handedly losing games for them. The whole team is brutal. You are the biggest Bryz hater I think I've ever seen.

03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
The Flyers closed the gap to 3-2 only to have Bryz cough up another goal. .
perhaps, just perhaps the fact that to that point, NYR had twice as much O zone time as we did & clearly outworked us, coupled with Nash outworking Coburn had just a little to do with goal #4.

yes, Bryz made 1 mistake.

Bryz bailed them out in the first 30 SECONDS as they coughed up a breakaway, so those cancelled each other out.

maybe the Flyers could hustle from the start & 1 mistake / fluke goal wouldn't totally kill them.

funny how NYR has a goal go in off Jake's face [fluke goal] ..... but they worked hard ALL game, outhustled us & didn't let 1 odd goal hold them back

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

Bryz does not. It' always an excuse for him, it's always some one else's fault
explain why he looked so good when the Flyers played great team D vs Pitt

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
He's absolutely a problem. You're making it sound like the team is going out there and dominating, and Bryz is single-handedly losing games for them. The whole team is brutal. You are the biggest Bryz hater I think I've ever seen.
I fully believe if the team blocked more shots from the points and cleared the crease like most other teams do for there goalies then we'd be talking a different game.

Also: The Bernier Remark someone made earlier...Just curious how many games you've actually seen him play, if he is so great and the future then why isn't he playing more? I understand he's behind Jon Quick, but it seems to me if a guy is that great then you'd somehow see him a little bit more. If he is that amazing im sure that LA would be willing to trade him for the right package. Weren't people really pumped about Enroth from Buffalo a couple years ago to?

Old
03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
dats81

Bernier has been promoted as the future Vezina calibre goalie but never lived up to the hype. Quick is the better goalie. Bernier may still become a solid starter on a weaker team.

Enroth had a nice streak as injury fill-in for Miller but expectations amongst Sabres fans have lowered since then. He looks like a solid backup who may have the upside of a #1b in a solid tandem.

Both would be great options behind a solid starter but would probably falter when declared starters and thrown to the wolves in Philly.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:55 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post

I fully believe if the team blocked more shots from the points and cleared the crease like most other teams do for there goalies then we'd be talking a different game.
The Flyers are 7th in the NHL in blocked shots. We blocked significantly more shots than Columbus and Ottawa, whose starters have the league's best save percentages. Boston, who has Rask putting up great numbers, is 29th in shots blocked.

Care to rethink that idea that somehow the Flyers' defenders not blocking enough shots is what accounts for Bryz being terrible? Or would you care to stick with your brutally flawed argument? Or perhaps now that you've been proven wrong, you'd like to propose a new theory on why it isn't Bryz's fault?

After all, we know how your thought process works; it works exactly like all Bryz defenders:

Step 1: Decide that it's not Bryzgalov's fault by ignoring the games and the stats.
Step 2: Figure out some way to justify your opinion that it's not Bryzgalov's fault.

And then when you're proven wrong, it's right back to step 1 again. You've made up your mind about Bryzgalov and no amount of empirical evidence is going to change that apparently.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
The Flyers are 7th in the NHL in blocked shots. We blocked significantly more shots than Columbus and Ottawa, whose starters have the league's best save percentages. Boston, who has Rask putting up great numbers, is 29th in shots blocked.

Care to rethink that idea that somehow the Flyers' defenders not blocking enough shots is what accounts for Bryz being terrible? Or would you care to stick with your brutally flawed argument? Or perhaps now that you've been proven wrong, you'd like to propose a new theory on why it isn't Bryz's fault?

After all, we know how your thought process works; it works exactly like all Bryz defenders:

Step 1: Decide that it's not Bryzgalov's fault by ignoring the games and the stats.
Step 2: Figure out some way to justify your opinion that it's not Bryzgalov's fault.

And then when you're proven wrong, it's right back to step 1 again. You've made up your mind about Bryzgalov and no amount of empirical evidence is going to change that apparently.
First of all, thanks for the attack! Secondly, I don't care to rethink it...I believe I'm correct. I think if you watch the games and all the crappy goals that get scored from the points or that go in off deflections/screens then you'd see that, they need to block more shots or at least deflect them out of trouble areas!

1. Bryzgalov isn't the reason we suck. Love the argument - let's blame everything on Bryz...not the fact that we can't get a solid 60 minute game from our Skaters.

2. I haven't made up my mind about Bryzgalov, last year i thought he was horrible and wanted him gone... he has been fine this year - see #1. The reason we suck is that our system is ********, every team in the league is playing us the same way and winning. The system is stale and isn't working...anyone can see that.

Meszaros and Coburn are playing like **** and we have Gervais and Foster rounding out our D...so we are relying on Luke Schenn, Grossman, and Kimmo.

Continuing with the Defense, they need to do a better job of clearing the net, they leave guys alone in front screening the goalie. (See Kunitz)

Our forwards who can't clear the zone, get caught because the wingers are getting sucked in to low and missing the puck back to the point while traffic is in front of the net. I'd like to see a map of the locations that goals have been scored this year.

Without Grossmans/Schenn's blocked shots i wonder where exactly we rank in the league.

In the defensive zone, our wingers are all bunching up in the middle (or in front of Bryz) rather then pressuring the D that is controlling the puck at the points and taking shots.

Yeah let's compare Boston who have are just insanely talented and have a guy named Chara on the back end. Additionally Rask is a better goalie then Bryz.

Listen, Bryz has let in his fair share of bad goals but if he had better support from the D in clearing the net, BLOCKING MORE SHOTS, and moving the puck out of our zone...he is going to get less work, which means we rely less on Bryz.

I made this argument earlier. Michael Leighton/Boosh took us the Stanley Cup Finals, one of the big reasons they were able to do this is guys blocking shots (Lappy), giving him the opportunity to see shots by clearing the net, moving the puck up the ice and playing great team D. Pronger doesn't hurt either!

I'm in no way a huge bryz supporter, as I stated earlier last year and this off season i regretted the move but his play lately has been fine.

I've decided to make my first couple posts in about a year and a half and you automatically know how my thought process works?

All im saying is it takes a team to win games. Bryz isn't going to stop everything - No goalie has, no goalie ever will. Goals Happen, Bounces Happen, Stupid Plays happen and Bryz can let in some crap from time to time...the team needs to pick up there play when he is having off moments...do a better job of getting in shot lanes, taking away angles, moving the puck up the ice and letting him see the puck when he needs to. At the same token, Bryz needs to tighten up in some areas as well and improve his game.

Also last I checked, 7th isn't 1st!

Old
03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Why are people convinced that any criticism of Bryz equates to blaming all the team's troubles on him?

Are people trying to make him into some sort of martyr?

03-27-2013, 03:28 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

Also: The Bernier Remark someone made earlier...Just curious how many games you've actually seen him play, if he is so great and the future then why isn't he playing more? I understand he's behind Jon Quick, but it seems to me if a guy is that great then you'd somehow see him a little bit more. If he is that amazing im sure that LA would be willing to trade him for the right package. Weren't people really pumped about Enroth from Buffalo a couple years ago to?
Quick got hot last year which is why he played so much. This season he hasn't been as good and Bernier has played quite a bit and has done better. I can't see Lombardi trading him till after the playoffs are done because Quick has been shaky.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:29 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Why are people convinced that any criticism of Bryz equates to blaming all the team's troubles on him?

Some people are just hell bent on certain things. This season has been much more of a perfect storm of **** even compared to 06/07. Just about everything has been bad including and not limited to: bad coaching, bad team design for the coach, poor player performance, poor goaltending, crap schedule compared to others, injuries, and plain old bad luck a lot of nights. Yes, this is probably the worst team I've watched in my lifetime.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

It's not even a martyr thing, I just don't feel like he is the issue and that the team needs to do a better job around him. So let's say we had Rask/Bernier and our team continued to play the way they have been playing lately...do we think that they would do much more?

Old
03-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
It's not even a martyr thing, I just don't feel like he is the issue and that the team needs to do a better job around him. So let's say we had Rask/Bernier and our team continued to play the way they have been playing lately...do we think that they would do much more?
Yeah, they likely would perform better. Save percentage is the stat most owned by the individual goaltender. Bryzgalov's is really bad. There are goalies on teams that are a bigger defensive shamble than the Flyers (Lindback and Dubnyk are the most extreme examples, there are several more) who have managed to do just fine. Their teams hang them out to dry and they've managed to outperform Bryz. In Dubnyk's case, he's actually blown Bryz away, yet Edmonton is easily the worst defensive team in the league. Better defense would help, but it doesn't change the fact that Bryzgalov's own performance has been bad all on its own.

You're sending mixed signals, as well. I believe you said (for various reasons I can't re-read your whole post right now) that 1) Bryzgalov has been good, and 2) We just need to block even more shots than we already are so we don't have to rely on him.

That doesn't make sense. If he's good, we should be able to rely on him. If more shots need to be blocked because he can't be relied upon, that's no different than when Leighton was forced into the starting role. So you say he's been fine, then you indicate that he hasn't really been fine.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote