HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Do we pick up a #2 Center at the deadline?

Old
03-26-2013, 12:37 AM
bootsgaudet

vCash: 500
couldnt agree more, have no idea how he gets the type of money he does,

bootsgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:46 AM
CrazyDuck4u

I think Allen is in a rut and playing way to many minutes.. Paired with sbisa (who turns the puck over alot!!) its a shi*** pairing.. Sbisa skates out the zone and turns it over and allen is caught flat footed.. They just dont read each other well at all..

CrazyDuck4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Allen and Lovejoy worked well when Lydman was out. It makes you wonder why that still isn't a viable 3rd pairing option.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Nikko*

He looked good with Lovejoy. Don't know why BB juggles D lines. Defensive chemistry is far more crucial and impacting on a game. He doesn't really keep any consistency in the bottom 4.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
When he's producing like he has been yes. With rental prices sky high I will keep my youth thank you and let it prosper.
You're argument is pretty flawed. I don't think we'd trade our talented youth for an UFA. But where is Steckel/Bonino/Holland going to go when Bones comes back? Someone's gotta go, and I think it will be Holland. Why? Specifically because he's the only center that wouldn't have to go through waivers. I could see us trading Bonino, but I also think he is well liked in the front office and he is on a cheap deal. Who knows, maybe Staubitz is waived and sent down, but Holland still has a long way to go. He is most certainly not a cemented second line center. Hopefully by next year he will be, but right now he is not.... but he's getting there

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

I think people underestimate how much BB likes Bones. He had him on top unit cause he said he likes the way he slows the game down. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on wing eventually. Too good of a player to keep out of the lineup IMO.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I think people underestimate how much BB likes Bones. He had him on top unit cause he said he likes the way he slows the game down. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on wing eventually. Too good of a player to keep out of the lineup IMO.
I dig Bonino's game, and I actually think we're missing him right now.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I dig Bonino's game, and I actually think we're missing him right now.
It seems like he's being groomed as the replacement for Koivu. The PP sure went south when he went out. I sincerely hope he's not what gets traded for a rental.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Old Man Barking
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm glad I'm not alone - I can't wait until Bonino is back, we need him.

I'm fine sending Holland down but we do need to address 2nd line center if we do that. He's holding his own, but he's not excelling there which is what we need him to do.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:06 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
In the end someone will be traded. Current center Situation for next couple years.
Getzlaf 8 years
Koivu (if he stays)
Cogliano(can play center)
Holland 1 until RFA
Bonino 1 until RFA
Steckel (yes/no) UFA next
Rakell 3 years until RFA
Sarault 1 year until RFA
Karlsson unsigned 3 year Entry level waiting
Kerdiles unsigned 3 year Entry level waiting
Roy unsigned 3 year Entry level waiting
Cramarossa 1 year until RFA

If Ducks can trade and sign Roy, he is only 29 years old. They are going to be log jammed at center for awhile. If Steckel or Koivu stays another year, you only have 1 or 2 center spots open.

If they could trade a prospect, 2013 2nd if he Resigns 2014 second if he doesn't, 2013 1st if Anaheim makes it to/wins SCF.

If by trade deadline Dallas knows Roy won't resign they will want to get rid of him, rather then lose him for nothing.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
I'm glad I'm not alone - I can't wait until Bonino is back, we need him.

I'm fine sending Holland down but we do need to address 2nd line center if we do that. He's holding his own, but he's not excelling there which is what we need him to do.
I think Holland is a sexy young talent, and I have hope he can someday be a legit #2 center, but I think Bonino's contributions to this team are woefully underrated. Like DVM hinted at, he's exactly the kind of player I think we're going to want for many of the same reasons we dig Koivu. They aren't the same player, obviously, and he's not someone I think we're going to look to for top six type scoring, but he's one of those guys who does the little things well and they add up to big contributions.

Summary: I think he's the type of player you need on your team if you're going to win games. If hockey is a game of inches, Bonino is one of those players who can make up the difference.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Old Man Barking
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think Holland is a sexy young talent, and I have hope he can someday be a legit #2 center, but I think Bonino's contributions to this team are woefully underrated. Like DVM hinted at, he's exactly the kind of player I think we're going to want for many of the same reasons we dig Koivu. They aren't the same player, obviously, and he's not someone I think we're going to look to for top six type scoring, but he's one of those guys who does the little things well and they add up to big contributions.

Summary: I think he's the type of player you need on your team if you're going to win games. If hockey is a game of inches, Bonino is one of those players who can make up the difference.
Entirely agree. I always picture him as our future perfect 3rd liner.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Force951

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
In the end someone will be traded. Current center Situation for next couple years.
Getzlaf 8 years
Koivu (if he stays)
Cogliano(can play center)
Holland 1 until RFA
Bonino 1 until RFA
Steckel (yes/no) UFA next
Rakell 3 years until RFA
Sarault 1 year until RFA
Karlsson unsigned 3 year Entry level waiting
Kerdiles unsigned 3 year Entry level waiting
Roy unsigned 3 year Entry level waiting
Cramarossa 1 year until RFA

If Ducks can trade and sign Roy, he is only 29 years old. They are going to be log jammed at center for awhile. If Steckel or Koivu stays another year, you only have 1 or 2 center spots open.

If they could trade a prospect, 2013 2nd if he Resigns 2014 second if he doesn't, 2013 1st if Anaheim makes it to/wins SCF.

If by trade deadline Dallas knows Roy won't resign they will want to get rid of him, rather then lose him for nothing.
Steckel and Roy (if we trade for him) shouldn't be resigned past this year. They are stop gaps that help the team for a playoff run and give the young guys time to mature.

Force951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:49 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:

I guess in the end, the big question is. Does Anaheim have a large enough shot at winning the cup this year to trade away some potential players.

Or is this the first year in a couple years of growth the ends in a possible cup. Considering the age of the team. Average age of 28.1. 8 Current players 25 and under. 14 players under 30

Old
03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I guess in the end, the big question is. Does Anaheim have a large enough shot at winning the cup this year to trade away some potential players.

Or is this the first year in a couple years of growth the ends in a possible cup. Considering the age of the team. Average age of 28.1. 8 Current players 25 and under. 14 players under 30
It depends on the return, and which players we're talking about.

I still believe this is a coming of age team, not a team with a one year window.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:22 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
It depends on the return, and which players we're talking about.

I still believe this is a coming of age team, not a team with a one year window.
Thats what I meant, there is alot of young players on this team that still get a couple more years before any cap problems might occur. The strong start makes you think of this years playoffs but this is a team that for the most part will remain solid for next couple years with a couple retirements and defensive changeups.

Compared to Pitts/Chicago who will have to drop some players due to cap and resigning its more pressure on this year.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Hey234

Quote:
Thats what I meant, there is alot of young players on this team that still get a couple more years before any cap problems might occur. The strong start makes you think of this years playoffs but this is a team that for the most part will remain solid for next couple years with a couple retirements and defensive changeups.

Compared to Pitts/Chicago who will have to drop some players due to cap and resigning its more pressure on this year.
I agree with this. We should be a contender for the next few years. Plenty of good young talent on entry level contracts.

Going back to the OP, I would say no on trading for a 2nd line center. Too expensive and I am not sure if this year's team, even with the upgrade, would win a 7 game series against a team like Chicago, Pittsburg, or maybe even Detroit.

Hey234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey234 View Post
I agree with this. We should be a contender for the next few years. Plenty of good young talent on entry level contracts.

Going back to the OP, I would say no on trading for a 2nd line center. Too expensive and I am not sure if this year's team, even with the upgrade, would win a 7 game series against a team like Chicago, Pittsburg, or maybe even Detroit.
Get sort of an idea with final game against Chicago how they would fair. I think Anaheim could make it to the finals without a trade, I don't think they would win SC with only a #2 center.

The Offensive strength would really be tough on the defence.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Just to be contrarian, I don't agree. I think the window is the next couple of years.

Big raises for the twins. Some key vets and a legend will retire. A shorter season so the older guys might be OK (although the counter point is that there's more games packed per week). And there will also be raises for the ELC guys.

I joked about it when we signed Souray. He plays about 40-50 games a season. Which might just be perfect for the 48 game season.

Now the budget will probably go up in a time of "competing" so that might help. But I think this is the best chance for the next few years.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Just to be contrarian, I don't agree. I think the window is the next couple of years.

Big raises for the twins. Some key vets and a legend will retire. A shorter season so the older guys might be OK (although the counter point is that there's more games packed per week). And there will also be raises for the ELC guys.

I joked about it when we signed Souray. He plays about 40-50 games a season. Which might just be perfect for the 48 game season.

Now the budget will probably go up in a time of "competing" so that might help. But I think this is the best chance for the next few years.
Back in 10-11 I thought we had a nice window until the end of this season - twins still on bargain contracts @ $5.3M per year, Fowler still on his ELC, Schultz (ugh) and a bunch of Madden draftees (Palmieri, Holland etc) starting to break out.

It looks like the window will still be there after this season but with Fowler, Getzlaf and Perry's raises it does make the cap flexibility a bit more difficult. Thankfully we still have plenty of young talent coming up that shouldn't be making too much - Palmieri hasn't really done a lot to command much of a raise - I'm thinking $1.5 - $2M max. Holland is still on his ELC, Beauchemin is playing for peanuts and a few guys from Norfolk could be ready for time in Anaheim.

Speaking of Beauchemin - you have to wonder how much he would get on the open market if his contract expired at the end of this year. IMO he was almost as good last season as he is this season defensively but his offensive game has seemingly come out of nowhere - he looks like a different player in the offensive zone. Also is his added offense an extended hot streak or is he just taking more chances and playing less of a stay at home game than before? He did put up one solid offensive year when we first acquired him from Columbus. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain this production throughout the rest of this season and beyond.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:18 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Back in 10-11 I thought we had a nice window until the end of this season - twins still on bargain contracts @ $5.3M per year, Fowler still on his ELC, Schultz (ugh) and a bunch of Madden draftees (Palmieri, Holland etc) starting to break out.

It looks like the window will still be there after this season but with Fowler, Getzlaf and Perry's raises it does make the cap flexibility a bit more difficult. Thankfully we still have plenty of young talent coming up that shouldn't be making too much - Palmieri hasn't really done a lot to command much of a raise - I'm thinking $1.5 - $2M max. Holland is still on his ELC, Beauchemin is playing for peanuts and a few guys from Norfolk could be ready for time in Anaheim.

Speaking of Beauchemin - you have to wonder how much he would get on the open market if his contract expired at the end of this year. IMO he was almost as good last season as he is this season defensively but his offensive game has seemingly come out of nowhere - he looks like a different player in the offensive zone. Also is his added offense an extended hot streak or is he just taking more chances and playing less of a stay at home game than before? He did put up one solid offensive year when we first acquired him from Columbus. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain this production throughout the rest of this season and beyond.
I actually thought similarly a few years ago. That the window was until Getzlaf/Perry was up (and who knows what would change with a CBA).

I guess the kids seem to be doing well enough that I'm willing to extend it a few years. Especially Fowler.

Beauchemin's sudden offense is some kind of mystery. It seems like just a hot streak. But like you said, he did show that once before. He always had a shot, but he just didn't seem comfortable in the offensive zone.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Where Anaheim lucks out is they played so far below the cap that the lower salary doesn't hurt them. So they get to keep top players and still have some extra room.

Tonnes of great kids playing on low contracts, some top players on top contracts and a couple disposable ones really puts this team in a good position. Not to mention the salary has risen every year since it came into play. In a couple years it should be back 68m+ giving some more room.

Also in most cases, Beauch/Selanne/Koivu/Lydman the older guys will love the weather, have families that are built into Anaheim, been making Millions for years. They don't necessarily want to move (look at kipper). They generally take the discounts and stick around with the team they love.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Where Anaheim lucks out is they played so far below the cap that the lower salary doesn't hurt them. So they get to keep top players and still have some extra room.

Tonnes of great kids playing on low contracts, some top players on top contracts and a couple disposable ones really puts this team in a good position. Not to mention the salary has risen every year since it came into play. In a couple years it should be back 68m+ giving some more room.
It might depend on if Anaheim's revenues will rise at the same rate as league revenues.

I think that after the last lockout, Anaheim's revenues grew slightly slower than the league cap. I don't really know, but it's assumed with how they generally stayed ~10% below the cap.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
It might depend on if Anaheim's revenues will rise at the same rate as league revenues.

I think that after the last lockout, Anaheim's revenues grew slightly slower than the league cap. I don't really know, but it's assumed with how they generally stayed ~10% below the cap.
Remember that we're getting subsidies, now.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Remember that we're getting subsidies, now.
I think Anaheim is excluded because of owner being a Billionaire. He already came out saying he is willing to spend more to keep the team winning, so I imagine they will be closer to cap.

Spend more money = winning = more fans = making more money.