2013 Trade Deadline

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

Its kind of hypocritical to complain about acquiring Cole as his spot can be filled by our prospects soon, and yet you want to sign another defenseman when we already have 4-5 spots locked up (Daley, Dillon, Goligoski, Robidas, Rome), Larsen should get a permanent top 6 spot next season, and we have 3-4 guys who can fight for the last spot.
Never complained about Cole myself. If Whitney (or anyone else) beats Rome for a spot then we're that much better off. Should Larsen get a top 6 spot? Or should he have to earn it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I would love to have Ladislav Smid on this team. More so than 34 yo Rob Scuderi. Scudero is a Cup Contender piece.

I'd actually prefer Robidas to be moved and allow Larsen to play with Dillon and let someone else ride the pine...
I'd like Smid too. But I can't see him not re-signing in Edmonton. Like I said if he doesn't stick around, it's probably because he's asking for at least $4 million per and Edmonton doesn't want to pay that much. Would we? Is he worth that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
BigG, tjcurrie is right.
Whitney isn't as bad as you make him out to be. He'd be a great asset for our PP. He's not as useless as you make it sound.
Thank you.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
sokocanuck

vCash: 742
Cost of Robidas

I don't know what Dallas' plan is this year, but if they decided to sell off veterans, what would they be looking to get back for Robidas from the Leafs? He wouldn't make us into a contender or anything, but I think it would be nice to have a steady veteran on the back and we have room in our cap structure to bring him on.
Any ideas?

Old
03-27-2013, 11:06 AM
BigG44

Jokinen clears waivers. I wonder if GM Joe would take him if he could send a contract like Tristan King back?

Old
03-27-2013, 11:10 AM
English stars fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Jokinen clears waivers. I wonder if GM Joe would take him if he could send a contract like Tristan King back?
Might be worth a phone call at least. I think Jussi could still do a job with Benn and Jagr.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:23 AM
TrillMike

Robidas has pretty much been our top dman the past few weeks. I'm all for trading him if the package is worth it. He has another year on his contract, so he wouldn't be a rental.

I believe he has a NTC also, so that may play into where he would be dealt.

I don't know what it would take from the Leafs, but it's probably more than you'd think.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
sokocanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Robidas has pretty much been our top dman the past few weeks. I'm all for trading him if the package is worth it. He has another year on his contract, so he wouldn't be a rental.

I don't know what it would take from the Leafs, but it's probably more than you'd think.
Yeah I didn't expect him to be given away, I was just hoping to gauge what it would cost. Or Dallas' needs, for that matter.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
BigG44

Priority in order of most important is 2nd/3rd line center, center prospect, right shot D NHL and prospect, left wing prospects, left shooting D prospects, right wing prospects, goalie prospects, backup NHL goalie for next season.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
sokocanuck

Quote:
Priority in order of most important is 2nd/3rd line center, center prospect, right shot D NHL and prospect, left wing prospects, left shooting D prospects, right wing prospects, goalie prospects, backup NHL goalie for next season.
I like Grabo but if the Leafs intend on signing Bozak, there might not be room for him. Could something be worked out there?

Old
03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Does anybody actually think the pp is the problem? Last year's team needed a Whitney type, but this year's pp has been fine IMO, and carrying a defenseman who is primarily a ppqb type does nothing to fix our defensive weaknesses.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Does anybody actually think the pp is the problem? Last year's team needed a Whitney type, but this year's pp has been fine IMO, and carrying a defenseman who is primarily a ppqb type does nothing to fix our defensive weaknesses.
That came down to coaching. There was absolutely zero movement on the PP last year, and now they're able to get a cycle going, and really move the puck around a lot.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:10 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
The Stars still absolutely need a PPQB. That's where Morrow hopefully comes in.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
The Stars still absolutely need a PPQB. That's where Morrow hopefully comes in.
This is going to take some time getting use to. Mind immediately jumped to Brenden Morrow a PPQB, what?!

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
03-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
This is going to take some time getting use to. Mind immediately jumped to Brenden Morrow a PPQB, what?!
Lol me too. Now I want to see that.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
BigG44

Chicago fans on the main board seem pretty receptive to the idea of trading Brandon Pirri + Dylan Olsen for Derek Roy.

I still have doubts that Chicago would give young talent to a division rival, but it's the best return I can think of that could potentially make fans happy and keep the team competitive (Pirri immediately can replace Roy so GM Joe is happy).

Dylan Olsen is a guy I really liked in the 2009 draft.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:20 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Chicago fans on the main board seem pretty receptive to the idea of trading Brandon Pirri + Dylan Olsen for Derek Roy.

I still have doubts that Chicago would give young talent to a division rival, but it's the best return I can think of that could potentially make fans happy and keep the team competitive (Pirri immediately can replace Roy so GM Joe is happy).

Dylan Olsen is a guy I really liked in the 2009 draft.
i dont know what it is about Pirri but everytime someone mentions trading for him i just think "meh".

Old
03-27-2013, 04:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I really don't like any of the centers Chicago has. If any of them were any good, they wouldn't need a long term #2 center so badly.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Satan
work away, work away

Yeah, no thanks on Pirri.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:45 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

What is Pirri's upside?

Old
03-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
What is Pirri's upside?
A playmaking second line center.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Lol me too. Now I want to see that.
Two possibilities:

A) Puck goes by him at the point allowing a clean breakaway.

B) He's able to pick up a penalty by tripping or grabbing onto the player as he skates by him at the point.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Pirri is in every Chicago proposal. Either Hawks fans hate him or he can't cut it in the NHL. I'll go with the latter. The Blackhawks need a #2 center so badly that they never bothered to even call up Pirri for a test run. That tells me he sucks and make it in the NHL.

A big pass on Pirri. If I'm giving up Roy to a division rival, I hope Joe asks for Mark McNeill. After the deal he pulled off to acquire J. Morrow, the price for rentals is pretty high. Furthermore, Chicago needs a #2 badly.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:01 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
The powerplay looks decent but there are a few issues I see with it.

One, we don't have a true center who can win faceoffs in crucial situations; how often do we see the Stars having to go back and start the playoff rush out? The powerplay can score some goals because of the personel such as Whitney and Jagr who can put the puck in the net, but the powerplay has yet to win the Stars any games.

Against the Wild, both times actually, this has been the case. Also the powerplay line with Jagr on it is too dependant on Jagr doing the goal scoring. He's a better playmaker than goalscorer, use that strength.

I think if Benn was shooting the puck better, this team would be in the top 4 in the West and their scoring stats would be scary.

Imagine Jagr and Benn firing on all cylinders at the same time?

Of course we are also missing a true a PP QB.

Maybe use a combination such as this?

LW Eriksson Roy C Benn RW

LD Whitney RD Jagr

What do you guys think of having 5 forwards on the powerplay? We can even switch Jagr with Benn since Benn is better defensively and a quicker skater.

Last edited by livewell68: 03-27-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post

Curious, what would Dallas want for Robidas? I'd love to see the Habs chase him and Jagr from you guys and we have the prospects/picks to maybe pull it off.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:05 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Well most seem to be saying we need either a ppqb because Gogo sucks or a guy like Grossman who we had. Both needs are because Newy failed to properly evaluate talent.
Grossmann was good, and I personally feel underappreciated around here, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay him 3.5 per year. This team has too good of prospects and too bad of chances of really winning right now to make that a worthwhile signing, if he even would have signed with us for that amount.

Goligoski does suck though and even in Pittsburgh was a complimentary offensive piece on the PP. He simply doesn't have the mental tools to QB a PP. That is a major oversight on Nieuwendyk's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I really don't like any of the centers Chicago has. If any of them were any good, they wouldn't need a long term #2 center so badly.
I hate this mentality.

Chicago has the best record in the league and management has said they're looking more for a checking line type of center. The 2nd line center stuff is coming from media speculation.

Pirri is 21 (going on 22) and can't slot into the #2 center role for a Cup contender? Wow, he must be ****.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:12 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Pirri is in every Chicago proposal. Either Hawks fans hate him or he can't cut it in the NHL. I'll go with the latter. The Blackhawks need a #2 center so badly that they never bothered to even call up Pirri for a test run. That tells me he sucks and make it in the NHL.

A big pass on Pirri. If I'm giving up Roy to a division rival, I hope Joe asks for Mark McNeill. After the deal he pulled off to acquire J. Morrow, the price for rentals is pretty high. Furthermore, Chicago needs a #2 badly.
Refer to my previous post.

So what you're saying is that you would rather have Martin Hanzal than Mike Ribeiro because that is roughly the difference in the upside of the two. Mark McNeill is two years removed from his draft year and is just a point per game player in the WHL. For comparison's sake we're all trying to figure out if Eakin is a 2nd line center or a very good 3rd line center and the year following his draft he scored 91 points and 47 goals.

At this point in time Mark McNeill projects as a burly 3rd line center who might see spot 2nd line duty. What is so attractive about that?

Closed Thread