HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Thread Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2013, 09:05 PM
  #76
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
So 3-4 hours in Bioshock and here's a quick list of people that are going to complain this game is offensive;

Christians, blacks, jews, French, interracial couples, Chinese and Indians. Missing anything?
I only got to the lottery right at the beginning before I had to finally get some sleep last night (damn work) but damn they really are not pulling punches in this game. Shocked they had the balls to put that in there. Raciest imagery is putting it lightly (no problem with it being there BTW)

Trying to avoid spoilers today has been brutal...I just want to get home and sink my teeth into this game.

In other game news

You KNOW you are excited!!!!

Emperoreddy is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 09:09 PM
  #77
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 19,117
vCash: 500
Yea, I'm literally impossible to offend but some of the stuff in the game is eye-raising. That said it is realistic to 1912

DatBoyJPP is online now  
Old
03-26-2013, 11:50 PM
  #78
yakitate304
Crunch Time
 
yakitate304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 13,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
XCOM is a really good game. Spec Ops is amazing, but you can only play it once really. If you haven't played it yet, I won't spoil why you can only play it once.

But that is a great deal. Civ V would have tempted me too.
I bought Civ V back in the Steam Summer Sale, so that wasn't an option. I heard Spec Ops and Darkness were both really short games without much replay value, and I didn't have much interest in Mafia. Since Bioshock 1 is my second favorite game ever (only behind Ocarina of Time) and yet I never played Bioshock 2, it was a pretty easy choice for me.

yakitate304 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:08 AM
  #79
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,337
vCash: 500
Had to tear myself away from Infinite after 12 hours.

Absolutely loving it so far, and the little Easter eggs with 80's music are awesome.

daveskirtun is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 06:26 PM
  #80
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
So 3-4 hours in Bioshock and here's a quick list of people that are going to complain this game is offensive;

Christians, blacks, jews, French, interracial couples, Chinese and Indians. Missing anything?
It takes place in pre-WWI America, right? I'd be shocked if it didn't offend anybody.

Bioshock games are supposed to push the lines. Maybe I'll actually play through whatever you're talking about and then reconsider, but for now I'm fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
I bought Civ V back in the Steam Summer Sale, so that wasn't an option. I heard Spec Ops and Darkness were both really short games without much replay value, and I didn't have much interest in Mafia. Since Bioshock 1 is my second favorite game ever (only behind Ocarina of Time) and yet I never played Bioshock 2, it was a pretty easy choice for me.
You're right Spec Ops has very little replay value, but you have to play through it once. Very powerful game.

Saugus is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
  #81
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 19,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It takes place in pre-WWI America, right? I'd be shocked if it didn't offend anybody.

Bioshock games are supposed to push the lines. Maybe I'll actually play through whatever you're talking about and then reconsider, but for now I'm fine with it.
Yea, 1912. Some of it they go out of their ways. There's a Jewish author that just rambles on about at $10/page he would write as much as Comstock wants him to at that rate because it's the Jewish way. Of course I laughed at that because I'm a terrible person but there was literally no need for it. One of the intro pages asked how a Chinaman was able to own his own store at a time like this. But whatever. Best game I've played in a long time, maybe since the original Bioshock.

DatBoyJPP is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:00 PM
  #82
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
Yea, 1912. Some of it they go out of their ways. There's a Jewish author that just rambles on about at $10/page he would write as much as Comstock wants him to at that rate because it's the Jewish way. Of course I laughed at that because I'm a terrible person but there was literally no need for it. One of the intro pages asked how a Chinaman was able to own his own store at a time like this. But whatever. Best game I've played in a long time, maybe since the original Bioshock.
I thought he said the inner jew in him came out or something? It fits in with everything else with the overall narrative that the people of Columbia are terribly xenophobic. The lotto scene early on made my jaw drop a bit. Ya the stuff you see is definitely realistic for the time, but not everyone would be so quick to go that far for realism. First proof that no punches were going to be pulled

Emperoreddy is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:12 PM
  #83
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West of Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 26,838
vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
Yea, 1912. Some of it they go out of their ways. There's a Jewish author that just rambles on about at $10/page he would write as much as Comstock wants him to at that rate because it's the Jewish way. Of course I laughed at that because I'm a terrible person but there was literally no need for it. One of the intro pages asked how a Chinaman was able to own his own store at a time like this. But whatever. Best game I've played in a long time, maybe since the original Bioshock.
The best was the random jew NPC that said he could smell silver

Scottyk9 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
  #84
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West of Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 26,838
vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
I thought he said the inner jew in him came out or something? It fits in with everything else with the overall narrative that the people of Columbia are terribly xenophobic. The lotto scene early on made my jaw drop a bit. Ya the stuff you see is definitely realistic for the time, but not everyone would be so quick to go that far for realism. First proof that no punches were going to be pulled
A member of the bioshock team quit working on one part of the game because he was so offended with the religon/racism.

Scottyk9 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:54 PM
  #85
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,337
vCash: 500
As an Irishman, the game deeply offended me

Finished it earlier today.
Man, that ending. I don't think I blinked in the last 20 minutes.
I think I finally have my head wrapped around it though.

daveskirtun is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:56 PM
  #86
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 19,117
vCash: 500
I'm getting close to the end. Saving the rest for when I'm wide awake tomorrow. Like where it's heading though.

DatBoyJPP is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 11:22 PM
  #87
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
I haven't even met Elizabeth yet. I wasted like an hour in the fair alone. Hoping to get further tonight.

Emperoreddy is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 11:24 PM
  #88
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 19,117
vCash: 500
She's my kind of girl <3

DatBoyJPP is online now  
Old
03-28-2013, 09:37 PM
  #89
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
She's my kind of girl <3
She is proving to be my kind as well. Ugh all I want to do is play this game right now. Damn work.

Emperoreddy is online now  
Old
03-28-2013, 10:54 PM
  #90
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,337
vCash: 500


Minor spoilers, but I loved the audio diary explaining all the song ripoffs in Columbia.

daveskirtun is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:18 AM
  #91
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post


Minor spoilers, but I loved the audio diary explaining all the song ripoffs in Columbia.
Some of those audio diaries explain Fink was using those tears for more then just music like where he got the inspiration for Songbird.

I loved the covers to the songs more then the originals.

Also finally finished the game today. WOW!!!!! I kind of thought something like the twist might happen, but in no way did I really expect it like it actually happened. I've never wanted DLC more then I do now as there are other aspects of Columbia I'd love to explore and answers to some other minor mysteres.

Emperoreddy is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 01:34 AM
  #92
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party
 
Chessarmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,075
vCash: 500
There are few videogame characters I've fallen in love with, but Alisa Bosconovitch is one of them (from Tekken).







<3

Chessarmy is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 02:04 AM
  #93
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
How is this new bioshock?gopo.

DevilChuk* is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 02:07 AM
  #94
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
How is this new bioshock?gopo.
Blah.. computer decided to freak out and post too early with some gibberish

Anyways..

I played the first one somewhat and thought it was cool. I love immersive-type video games. I haven't really played much of anything the past few years though. Problem I had with the original is that I'm the type of gamer that likes to do every single ****ing thing.. and there's just too much in Bioshock.

I'm still looking for a modern replacement for the Legend of Zelda series.. those were just too perfect Anyone have suggestions? I have a Wii but didn't really like the mechanics of the Zelda game for that console.. I've played almost every other one though.

DevilChuk* is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 03:09 AM
  #95
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Blah.. computer decided to freak out and post too early with some gibberish

Anyways..

I played the first one somewhat and thought it was cool. I love immersive-type video games. I haven't really played much of anything the past few years though. Problem I had with the original is that I'm the type of gamer that likes to do every single ****ing thing.. and there's just too much in Bioshock.

I'm still looking for a modern replacement for the Legend of Zelda series.. those were just too perfect Anyone have suggestions? I have a Wii but didn't really like the mechanics of the Zelda game for that console.. I've played almost every other one though.
It's a great game that deserves a lot of the praise it's getting, but it's far from flawless. The story, characters and atmosphere are what the game focuses on.

There are a few categories of collectibles to get throughout the game; the audio diaries are back, but they added telescopes and kinetoscopes into the game to help further the exploration and story. You can also find infusions and gear hidden throughout the game that help to boost your player.

If it's a game you want to get lost in, there's plenty to explore and take in. If you want it to be linear, then it's easy to let the game do that.

daveskirtun is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 03:38 AM
  #96
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 24,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
It's a great game that deserves a lot of the praise it's getting, but it's far from flawless. The story, characters and atmosphere are what the game focuses on.

There are a few categories of collectibles to get throughout the game; the audio diaries are back, but they added telescopes and kinetoscopes into the game to help further the exploration and story. You can also find infusions and gear hidden throughout the game that help to boost your player.

If it's a game you want to get lost in, there's plenty to explore and take in. If you want it to be linear, then it's easy to let the game do that.
I'd agree and I'd say it is a bit more linear then Bioshock even with the telescopes and kinetoscopes (though I did not find all of them or the audio diaries so need to look even harder on the 2nd playthrough). I recall there just being huge areas in Rapture that you never had to set foot in once if you didn't want to, while I didn't get that sense in Columbia (something I assume the DLC will add on to). I think the plot in infinite is so much more immersive, especially as the game goes on that you find yourself torn away from exploration because you want to find out what happens next so badly.

Definitely wasn't flawless since it was brought it. Actually if you strip it down to just gameplay I'd say it is a rather average shooter, something I'd say about the 1st one too. It is the enviorment, story, characters and setting that makes it so excellent. A forbes review put it best, it is very rare for a game to have plot and writing at such a high level with gameplay that matches it, and vice versa. They used the Portal games as the rare example of such a god tier game (one I agree with) no knock at Infinite though as it still very excellent. I think some breaks in all the action could of helped, maybe some powers based puzzles or more side quests.

Why I still hold Half Life 2 in such high regard. Valve seems to know best how to balence things for a player. They throw just enough combat at you to get you pumped, but know when to turn it down so it doesn't become a meat grinder and know when to use a puzzle or plot time to give the player a breather.

I see that Levine likes to view combat as the puzzles in game, and things are definitely a lot more balenced then bioshock (bascially shock and shoot was all you ever needed) most battles didn't need as much creativity as maybe he intended. IDK nitpicking stuff here obviously.

End rant, everyone should at least try this game and try to get immersed in Columbia. Well worth the ride.

Emperoreddy is online now  
Old
04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
  #97
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
I'll pick it up eventually most likely.

Still want to just play Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and the gang again though

DevilChuk* is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 06:48 PM
  #98
Status Quo*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,921
vCash: 50
Thinking of either getting NHL 13 or Fifa 13. Which should I get?

Status Quo* is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 07:25 PM
  #99
yakitate304
Crunch Time
 
yakitate304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 13,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Status Quo View Post
Thinking of either getting NHL 13 or Fifa 13. Which should I get?
FIFA is the better game.

yakitate304 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 09:30 PM
  #100
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,740
vCash: 500
Yeah, I would agree on FIFA. Better game experience just picking it up and starting a random match than NHL. Far deeper game to get more replay out of in terms of franchise/career modes as well in my opinion. The franchise really gets considerable effort towards making a better game every year, especially in terms of game play. Totally worth the investment.

Scott04 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.