HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Lets talk about Dave Bolland

Old
03-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Anyone who doesn't think Bolland is our best option at #2C right now is clueless.
Sharp is the best option at #2C on the current roster. Bolland is the best option at #2C amongst those currently playing C on the roster.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:28 AM
hockeydoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post

Bolland is a warrior and he's always played above and beyond his linemates.
No, he hasn't. He played well below them for extended periods each of the last 3 years now as often as he's played above them. He's good for a month and half scoring drought (1 goal or less) every year excluding time missed from injury.

He'll get a hot streak and play above his line for a while, then he'll get hurt again, then another drought, then another hot streak...

He's easily bored and extremely good when he's interested. I agree he'll have a hot streak before the end of the year, hopefully he'll put the injury off until next year. He's never been as good as his best games and hot streaks or as bad as his worst games and cold streaks.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Sevanston

Just saw Sassone had a post yesterday with Q talking about Bolland.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/703269615/
"Bolly's been OK, but I think he can be better," Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said.

"I'd like to see him (play) with more tenacity in the puck area and have the puck more," Quenneville said. "Have that pace to his game, whether he's challenging the other team's top player or not. I think he still can be considered offensively contributing and more predictable defensively.

"I don't know whether it's expectations measuring in production to that goal level — we don't have a number in mind. We'd just like to see that consistency game in and game out where Bolly's a factor, knowing that he's hard to play against and defensively reliable."
So Q knows what we all know; Bolland could be better.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
I dont want Bolland to have puck more ,, That means less puck for Kane

Bolland with puck = Turnover or poorly shot with no elevation
Kane with puck = Magic

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:20 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I don't like Bolland in an offensive role. Part of what made him good offensively was his sneakiness. He picked his spots from the third line and usally did a great job at that.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Sharp is the best option at #2C on the current roster. Bolland is the best option at #2C amongst those currently playing C on the roster.
Sharp isn't an option at C, so my point still stands.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

"Bolly's been OK, but I think he can be better," Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said.

"I'd like to see him (play) with more tenacity in the puck area and have the puck more," Quenneville said. "Have that pace to his game, whether he's challenging the other team's top player or not. I think he still can be considered offensively contributing and more predictable defensively.

"I don't know whether it's expectations measuring in production to that goal level we don't have a number in mind. We'd just like to see that consistency game in and game out where Bolly's a factor, knowing that he's hard to play against and defensively reliable."
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Bolland as well. He has been "OK". On the one hand, he has not set the world on fire offensively and has had some inconsistent efforts. On the other, he has freed up Kane offensively and allowed Q to roll 4 lines without worrying about match-ups.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Bolland as well. He has been "OK". On the one hand, he has not set the world on fire offensively and has had some inconsistent efforts. On the other, he has freed up Kane offensively and allowed Q to roll 4 lines without worrying about match-ups.
"Not set world on fire offensively" is putting it mildly

No pts in 17 of 26 games ,, Absolutely unacceptable

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Except it's not unacceptable when the team is winning and Kane is scoring.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:12 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:

This is what they want you to think if they trade Bolland, everybody is like, good riddance. **** that, he is being misused and that is all. He hasn't changed as a player from last season to this season.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:26 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
This is what they want you to think if they trade Bolland, everybody is like, good riddance. **** that, he is being misused and that is all. He hasn't changed as a player from last season to this season.
He sucked for a good portion of last season as well.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:29 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
He sucked for a good portion of last season as well.
What do you want to do with him? Move him to a different role or trade him for a different center?

Old
03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
BEL4SEPICMULLET

Quote:
I dont want Bolland to have puck more ,, That means less puck for Kane

Bolland with puck = Turnover or poorly shot with no elevation
Kane with puck = Magic
This...Bolland had two golden opportunities to score last night and didn't elevate the puck. He shot the puck like he was afraid of the opportunity to score...like he doesn't want the puck on his stick.

BEL4SEPICMULLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:56 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL4SEPICMULLET View Post
This...Bolland had two golden opportunities to score last night and didn't elevate the puck. He shot the puck like he was afraid of the opportunity to score...like he doesn't want the puck on his stick.
He wasn't the only one shooting the puck along the ice like a kid who hasn't learn to elevate it yet.... and it's a recurring theme for the Hawks and very frustrating to watch. Last night's game should have been long over by the 30 minute mark. Instead we let them hang around. I guess it's easy to say from an armchair but it appears that Hawk's shooters just don't bear down and bury those opportunities, and Bolland is one of the worst offenders.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Chelios

Quote:

So it is "absolutely unacceptable" that he is failing at some random stat that you only use to try to further your agenda despite the fact that his RW is scoring at the highest pace of his career, his team is #1 overall in the league, 2nd in the league in goals for, and 2nd in the league in goals against? You are unbelievable.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:08 PM
zac

Quote:
He was not good last year in regular season

Was poor defensively all year and MIA long stretches offensively
This. This is the 2nd year in a row where Bolland has been bad and he looks to be getting worse. I was one of the guys who though, if given proper ice time, could produce as a 2nd line center. Right now his defense is so bad that I don't even think he'd be a good 3C. As of right now Bolland has little value to this team.

I don't know what his problem is but I can't even defend him anymore.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
He wasn't the only one shooting the puck along the ice like a kid who hasn't learn to elevate it yet.... and it's a recurring theme for the Hawks and very frustrating to watch. Last night's game should have been long over by the 30 minute mark. Instead we let them hang around. I guess it's easy to say from an armchair but it appears that Hawk's shooters just don't bear down and bury those opportunities, and Bolland is one of the worst offenders.
Bolland's always had this problem. It's not like it's an overreaction over one game.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
SLarmer28

Hayes + Hayes (the collegiate drunk) + Bolland to Florida for Marcel Goc and Shawn Matthias

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Except it's not unacceptable when the team is winning and Kane is scoring.
no, it's not acceptable. It's just bad and Bolland has been playing like **** lately

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:24 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

"I don't know whether it's expectations measuring in production to that goal level — we don't have a number in mind. We'd just like to see that consistency game in and game out where Bolly's a factor, knowing that he's hard to play against and defensively reliable."
I think that is a fair comment from Q and I've learned that when he phrases things like that, I take it as direct criticism (much harsher in his mind than he makes it sound for the media). Last night Bolland was better than he was in the previous game and better and more noticable then what he has been (he just needs to bury those chances). His linemate Hayes also was burned a few times - they could have had a productive night with a bit more determination.

On another note: I've noticed too, that Kane sometimes fails to see the open man trailing the play and that player is often Bolland, sometimes Hayes as well. With Hayes being there such a short time, the chemistry for that line is a work in process. It will come, I feel ... and fortunately the team and Q are in a position to be patient. (much more than other teams fighting for a playoff spot, and there are plenty of them). This is a luxury that we have not enjoyed for the last 2 years and should work in our favour to prepare for the grind of the playoffs and have set established lines going into them.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:31 PM
SLarmer28

Dave Bolland salary cap hit:

http://www.capgeek.com/player/250

Dave Bolland stats:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=71780

Game Played: 26
Goals: 5
Assists: 7
+/-: -3
Faceoff %: 44.6 (pathetic)

Dave Bolland's performance to date during the 2012-13 NHL Season is completely unacceptable especially considering his current financial compensation.

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
So it is "absolutely unacceptable" that he is failing at some random stat that you only use to try to further your agenda despite the fact that his RW is scoring at the highest pace of his career, his team is #1 overall in the league, 2nd in the league in goals for, and 2nd in the league in goals against? You are unbelievable.
C'mon Chelli, could it just be the P Kane is playing well and scoring despite Bolly instead of because of him? Are you sure Kane has not had stretches like this before?

Don't confuse the team's success or Kane's success with anything that Dave Bolland has done. That is just providing cover for his poor play.

If a significant number of Hawks were playing at his level...oh boy the standings would look different. He is being carried by this club this season.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

Bolland has done nothing for Kane's offensive production. He's doing it despite Bolland playing like hogdick this season.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:38 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
Bolland has done nothing for Kane's offensive production. He's doing it despite Bolland playing like hogdick this season.
Don't be so sure. Bolland's defensive game has been good and it allows his linemates to take some chances. There is more to this game than points on the scoreboard. Kane's value is much less if ops score as much or more than he does (when he's on the ice). Take Bolland away and Kane loses some of that pizzaz that comes with taking chances, making him less effective on offense.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Dave Bolland isn't great during the regular season this isn't new. Bolland is a warrior during the play-offs. I would keep him for that very reason.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote