HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The worst part of all of this...

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 09:49 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

vCash: 500
The worst part of all of this...

Is I am not even looking at a playoff spot right now...I am simply comparing the Oilers to the Flames. That is all that matters right now. They are kicking our ass in the standings. And you look at the team Calgary has, and they shouldn't be doing this good, they just shouldn't be. Who do they have, and what do they have that is so much better and different than Edmonton, that is allowing them to be playing so well? Obviously they have confidence, but how did they get it, and how do we get some? Is it all Sutter?

I am still confident the Oil can pull out of this slump, but they have a long way to go.

PS- My pet peeve right now is Calgary Puck, and how damn smug they are about Calgary, and how they are already talking about magic numbers, and who they are going to play in round 1...yeah, it drives me nuts to see Calgary ahead of Edmonton. I am happy for the team and the city, but it sucks to be in this position, it really does.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Shin Pad

I think most of us Calgary fans would just be happy to make the playoffs. This streak is really nice, but, I don't think there are any Flames fans (Even at CalgaryPuck - I post there regularly), that think this team is going to end up in first place in the Division or anything. Sure we are happy about what is happening - wouldn't you be happy if your Oilers were having the success that the Flames are having?

I think most knowledgable fans know there is still a long way to go, and anything can happen. What is the difference this year you ask - the main difference is Sutter - but he isn't the only difference. The team has gotten bigger and faster - gone are the smurfs like Nichol and Begin - they have been replaced by the likes of Donovan, Betts, etc. Because of the speed and size, this team is built to be a forchecking team. They creat chances to score while keeping the opposition on the perimeter when they are in Calgary's end. The Defence has improved - it is young, but everyone has another year under their belts and it shows. Add Warrener to the mix - he solidifys the D. Leopold is looking like a veteran. Lastly - they are getting great goal tending - as witnessed tonight. You put all that together - add a lot of heart and grit - instilled by Sutter and the coaching staff - and you have the reason they are doing well.

I don't think Sutter is going to let this team go on an 11 game losing streak. They are going to lose games, but I don't think they will go into the toilet like in previous years. By the same token, they won't win a Stanley cup either. Also, we have had to put up with years of smuggness towards us by Edmonton Fans. It feels good to have the shoe on the other foot for once.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Walsher

We all have to remember that CGY was leading the division well into the season a few years back and they folded like a cheap tent. I have said it before and will say it again - they are overachieving and will struggle and likely miss the playoffs. Hard work and backup goaltending will only take you so far - right now it is making them look good. The Oilers are absolutely pathetic right now but again I am confident that this team will rebound and finish 5-10 points ahead of our southern friends. Pretty bold based on what we have seen since the Classic on the 22nd of Nov. but I have seen this act before and it doesn't end like a fairy tail for the Flames.

Old
12-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Shin Pad

I guess we shall see. If 90 points is what it will take to get in the playoffs, then the Flames can coast along at .500 for the rest of the season and reach that mark. Edmonton on the other hand has to get about 59 points in 49 games. That's 10 games over .500. I thought they might have a chance to do with if they added a player when they traded Comrie. They got prospects instead. I'm not saying it's impossible for the Oilers to make the playoffs, but, at this point it's a lot easier for the Flames to make it than it is for the Oilers.

By the way, just because the Flames folded in previous years, doesn't mean it will happen again. The team is better now, and they have a coach that isn't going to let them "fold like a cheap tent" as you say.

Old
12-23-2003, 11:22 PM
elphy101

I hope Calgary makes the playoffs. It would do wonderful things for that team. They need the playoffs desperately. But, I'm still not sold on that team. Kiprusoff is covering up a lot of holes on that team. Hopefully he keeps it up, but I'm not so sure that he will.

Old
12-24-2003, 12:55 AM
feff

Send a message via Yahoo to feff
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I hope Calgary makes the playoffs. It would do wonderful things for that team. They need the playoffs desperately. But, I'm still not sold on that team. Kiprusoff is covering up a lot of holes on that team. Hopefully he keeps it up, but I'm not so sure that he will.
Injuries are killing us too. Turek should be ready to back Kipper up once he returns...

Old
12-24-2003, 10:34 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Well, thing is really that this team was covering for Kipper's holes until about 4 games ago when they actually started allowing more shots. But otherwise its really been the defense carrying the team this year, not the goalie.

Old
12-25-2003, 07:04 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

on one hand im happy to see the flames succeed, their franchise needs to see success. on the other, i dont care where the flames finish in the standings, all i care about is where our team finishes and pretty soon we could be competing for last in the western conference.
the worst part of all of this SPECIALTY TEAMS. HOW EMBARRASSING TO LOOK UP THE STATS AND SEE EDMONTON RANKED LAST IN BOTH PP AND PK. :mad:

Old
12-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
on one hand im happy to see the flames succeed, their franchise needs to see success. on the other, i dont care where the flames finish in the standings, all i care about is where our team finishes and pretty soon we could be competing for last in the western conference.
the worst part of all of this SPECIALTY TEAMS. HOW EMBARRASSING TO LOOK UP THE STATS AND SEE EDMONTON RANKED LAST IN BOTH PP AND PK. :mad:
And worst, the speacial teams are the ONLY reason where we are at in the standings. I mean, goaltending has been solid (not so much Salo but Conks), the defense for all the heat it's taken, has beeen solid and 5-5 and in OT they've been good. I've said this before and it's no big revelation: If you get scored on on the PK and you can't score yourself, you're gonna have problems.

Closed Thread