HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

First Round Match Ups.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
  #26
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
According to SCS:

41.3% Montreal
27.5% Boston
12.9% Winnipeg
4.7% Carolina
3.5% Toronto

I like us playing the Jets.
...which is quite unlikely. Out of Montreal and Boston, that's actually a tough choice. I'd lean towards Montreal, but their speed is definitely a concern. Maybe giving this Hoffman fellow a shot is a good move - people say he's a speed demon so why not give him a couple of games with Alfie?

source is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 06:54 PM
  #27
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,994
vCash: 500
With the odds of playing Montreal, I hope everyone is taking note and buying their PO tickets ASAP. Gotta keep habs fans out of the arena. I'm sure it won't be much of an issue but nonetheless we fans should try to do our part.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 06:57 PM
  #28
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,747
vCash: 50
My top choice would be Toronto. Those 4-whatever playoff defeats against them are something I'd like to see erased.

Rangers kinda scare me a bit. They've been a Jeckel and Hyde team this year. It almost feels like they're not taking the regular season as seriously this year and are just doing enough to get into the playoffs where they might just turn on the jets.

Montreal - no way! You skate within 2 feet of any of those smurfs and they fall over and draw penalty after penalty. No way we get past them.

Boston - they look so talentless and beatable whenever I watch them, but somehow they're Ottawa's kryptonite. I'd love to meet and beat them just to get the monkey off our back, but I doubt it would happen this season.

Winnipeg - nah. They are a sentimental favorite. Love their fans. Wouldn't want to be the 'bad guy' team in that matchup. Too much bad karma from the rest of Canada if we met.

Pittsburgh - hell no. Like Montreal, they get all the calls. The favored son of the NHL will not lose in the first round.

NJ, Islanders, Carolina - meh. Don't care either way for watching those matchups.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:23 PM
  #29
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,274
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
...which is quite unlikely. Out of Montreal and Boston, that's actually a tough choice. I'd lean towards Montreal, but their speed is definitely a concern. Maybe giving this Hoffman fellow a shot is a good move - people say he's a speed demon so why not give him a couple of games with Alfie?
I think those odds are realistically a bit low.

All it would take for us to play Winnipeg is for them to hold on to their spot as SE leaders, and us to drop to 6th. That could be at the hands of the Maple Leafs, or just as likely the Rangers who SHOULD get hot before the end of the season. I guess the Devils as well, but I don't think they'll do well.

All I'm saying is that it's not far-fetched for us to play the Jets.

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
  #30
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,027
vCash: 500
If we had Spezz, Karlsson, Michalek, Cowen and Anderson, we'd be fighting for 1st in the east right now.


Good things are on the way boys. Very good things.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
  #31
dan1el
Registered User
 
dan1el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
I'm begging for a Toronto hotstreak to land us a date with the winner of the SE.

dan1el is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:07 PM
  #32
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,027
vCash: 500
Really looking forward to seeing what these young kids can bring in the playoffs. Hoping Zib or Silf have got another gear for us to witness.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:25 PM
  #33
the doctor
Registered User
 
the doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
Really looking forward to seeing what these young kids can bring in the playoffs. Hoping Zib or Silf have got another gear for us to witness.
Yup, that and just giving these kids NHL playoff experience is invaluable long term.

the doctor is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:53 PM
  #34
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I think those odds are realistically a bit low.

All it would take for us to play Winnipeg is for them to hold on to their spot as SE leaders, and us to drop to 6th. That could be at the hands of the Maple Leafs, or just as likely the Rangers who SHOULD get hot before the end of the season. I guess the Devils as well, but I don't think they'll do well.

All I'm saying is that it's not far-fetched for us to play the Jets.
This smells like last year, when our opponent would have been Boston or New York.

People were saying NY was the better option 'cause Boston has our number, but then others were saying that if we slip to 8th and play NY that means we suck. I think that logic is retarded when your playoff position depends on 3 games left to play in the season, but if we slip to 6th from where we are now, that may signal a problem. We've got a comfortable lead up on 6th.

But hey, maybe the Leafs are actually a good team, will play lights out, and take that 5th spot from us without us having to suck horribly.

EDIT: Or maybe Montreal keeps losing and we take 4th?

source is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
  #35
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
This smells like last year, when our opponent would have been Boston or New York.

People were saying NY was the better option 'cause Boston has our number, but then others were saying that if we slip to 8th and play NY that means we suck. I think that logic is retarded when your playoff position depends on 3 games left to play in the season, but if we slip to 6th from where we are now, that may signal a problem. We've got a comfortable lead up on 6th.

But hey, maybe the Leafs are actually a good team, will play lights out, and take that 5th spot from us without us having to suck horribly.

EDIT: Or maybe Montreal keeps losing and we take 4th?
Bleh. Much rather go for the division. It's unlikely, but still possible, and results in much better vibes for the playoffs than slipping to 6th.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:43 PM
  #36
DrunkUncleDenis
HasManCrushOnSmith
 
DrunkUncleDenis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Campus
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,108
vCash: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
This smells like last year, when our opponent would have been Boston or New York.

People were saying NY was the better option 'cause Boston has our number, but then others were saying that if we slip to 8th and play NY that means we suck. I think that logic is retarded when your playoff position depends on 3 games left to play in the season, but if we slip to 6th from where we are now, that may signal a problem. We've got a comfortable lead up on 6th.

But hey, maybe the Leafs are actually a good team, will play lights out, and take that 5th spot from us without us having to suck horribly.

EDIT: Or maybe Montreal keeps losing and we take 4th?
You call a 2 point lead comfortable?
We have one game in hand but still...

DrunkUncleDenis is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
  #37
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,274
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
This smells like last year, when our opponent would have been Boston or New York.

People were saying NY was the better option 'cause Boston has our number, but then others were saying that if we slip to 8th and play NY that means we suck. I think that logic is retarded when your playoff position depends on 3 games left to play in the season, but if we slip to 6th from where we are now, that may signal a problem. We've got a comfortable lead up on 6th.

But hey, maybe the Leafs are actually a good team, will play lights out, and take that 5th spot from us without us having to suck horribly.

EDIT: Or maybe Montreal keeps losing and we take 4th?
Yeah because that 2 point lead is huge...

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 01:19 AM
  #38
Savannah Skunk
Registered User
 
Savannah Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Off the banana farm
Country: Uganda
Posts: 1,337
vCash: 500
With the Iginla trade, I hope the team finishes as high in the standings as possible.

Savannah Skunk is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 01:21 AM
  #39
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
I'd be down to go up against the "best" team in our conference. Being the underdogs has served us well the past few seasons.

playasRus is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 01:22 AM
  #40
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,274
vCash: 50
There's only one team that can beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in my honest opinion.

And that's themselves.

Or more specifically, MA Fleury.

The Penguins will not go far if he repeats last years first round performance. At that rate, they'd need to put up 6GPG to go anywhere. MA Fleury plays like an average starting goalie, and it's going to be tough for them to not win the cup.

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 01:36 AM
  #41
Slow Hands
The feels
 
Slow Hands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
There's only one team that can beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in my honest opinion.

And that's themselves.

Or more specifically, MA Fleury.

The Penguins will not go far if he repeats last years first round performance. At that rate, they'd need to put up 6GPG to go anywhere. MA Fleury plays like an average starting goalie, and it's going to be tough for them to not win the cup.
I still remember his goal in the juniors.


I know he's a won a cup, but man, was that ever ugly.

Slow Hands is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 05:53 AM
  #42
koreaboy
Registered User
 
koreaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
No. Just, no. Don't start playing this game. It's a losing enterprise. We want to make the playoffs and be playing well in the 8-10 games going into the playoffs. It'd be nice if we could avoid Boston or the pens, other than that, it doesn't matter who we play and we shouldn't be spending a second of our time hoping for one opponent or another. You always get burned hoping for one opponent.

koreaboy is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 06:18 AM
  #43
bacon25
Registered User
 
bacon25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Group Study Room F
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,687
vCash: 500
I would hate to play the Bruins or Montreal, I would love a shot at upsetting the Pens though.

bacon25 is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 10:01 AM
  #44
Volt
Registered User
 
Volt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 283
Take on the Pens just for the major upset

Volt is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
  #45
guyzeur
Registered User
 
guyzeur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Take on the Pens just for the major upset
Or to see Cooke get beat up twice per game?


Last edited by guyzeur: 03-28-2013 at 10:54 AM.
guyzeur is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 04:09 PM
  #46
Volt
Registered User
 
Volt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Or to see Cooke get beat up twice per game?
Even more reason to face off the Pens! If this team was fully healthy we could have taken them on which is why I look forward to next season and hopefully *knock on wood* the injuries do not pile up like they have this season.

Volt is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 03:34 PM
  #47
MiscBrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
If we had Spezz, Karlsson, Michalek, Cowen and Anderson, we'd be fighting for 1st in the east right now.


Good things are on the way boys. Very good things.
We'd definitely be 1st in the NE and probably favourites along with Pittsburgh and Chicago. I honestly still think we are heavily favoured against almost any match-up. Boston has just gotten lucky against us this year. Montreal is playing over their heads. We can beat both of those teams with our current line-ups. We suck against Carolina for some reason so they're the only team I really don't want to play. I also don't know how anyone can hope to play Toronto. This is their 1st year back in the post-season after a long absence. As nice as it would be to knock them out I under no circumstance want to be knocked out by them. I can guarantee they will be getting PP's out of their ears this spring.

MiscBrah is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
  #48
yogibear
Registered User
 
yogibear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
I don't want to see any annoying habs or leafs fans at the PBS !!!!

yogibear is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 04:47 PM
  #49
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,061
vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post

Pittsburgh - hell no. Like Montreal, they get all the calls. The favored son of the NHL will not lose in the first round.
1) They are currently -4 mins in terms of PP minus PK time, so no they don't get all the calls
2) Just like the last two years, eh?

I want us to play Pittsburgh, but that would mean sliding down to 8th spot, which I don't like.

Anyways, I'm good with any team besides Boston and maybe, Toronto. I don't know what it is about the Leafs, but we never seem to play well against them.

Novak Djokovic is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 05:25 PM
  #50
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic View Post
1) They are currently -4 mins in terms of PP minus PK time, so no they don't get all the calls
2) Just like the last two years, eh?

I want us to play Pittsburgh, but that would mean sliding down to 8th spot, which I don't like.

Anyways, I'm good with any team besides Boston and maybe, Toronto. I don't know what it is about the Leafs, but we never seem to play well against them.
We get it. You love the Pens.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.