HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 5/9) *Part III*

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Crazed Beaver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
It's funny you say that because I consider myself in between on him. OHL seasons to me never hold much value.

While the numbers are there to show he's a top prospect for us, OHL numbers can be quite skewed and don't necessarily translate well to pro success. Take Evgeny Grachev for example. He lit it up in the OHL, went to the Whale-Pack and had a tough time with the Rangers organization until he was ultimately traded.

I like him as a prospect, but I'm higher on certain guys such as Nieves, Fasth, Linderg, and McIlrath.

Also, should be noted I've only seen a few clips of him.
Agree with this and have high hopes for Thomas and his awesome shot as well. Noreau is a guy I'm very intresed/hopeful in as well. By all accounts his game is on the come and he is just as tough as big Mac. Can you imagine these two both getting regular minutes on our d? Granted they aren't pmd's but if they could both make the roster with our current top four holy ****! A man can dream.....

Old
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Makes sense. Fasth is very much on the outside looking in.
Never know when injuries are gonna hit and what the team needs might be in a couple of weeks. I doubt he'll get into the NHL this season, especially with the signing of Zuc, but you never know. The Rangers could even pull a trade that opens up some spots that Fasth could work his way into.

That said, I'm not sure that he just hangs around with the team for several weeks waiting to see if an opportunity presents itself. I tend to think this is just kind of giving him a taste of how the Rangers and the NHL work. What practices are like, start getting familiar with the system, etc. Not really sure that I see him going down to play with the Whale versus going back to play in the WC's

Old
03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Pizza

I agree Lev.

The Rangers look like they are making him a priority....for what ever reason. But to me it's obvious they have a plan here.

He's a very persistent forechecker with speed, skill and a decent shot. Right in Tort's wheel house. Played at a very competitive level. I would not be surprised if he forced his way into the line up.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think having Richards here one more year is important. It would relieve Miller from top-6 duties, it would relieve Stepan from feeling that the team needs him as a #1C, and it would allow Lindberg to polish himself in the AHL.

But in 2014, Richards must go. We can't afford to pay almost $7 to an aging 34 year old. It would also free up the space to re-sign Lundqvist, Girardi, etc.

Will Step, Miller, Lindberg and Boyle do the trick? Only time will tell how they develop. Certainly if Step can score 65 (his current pace) and Miller 45, it would be easier than if Step scores 45 and Miller is just a third liner.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

People shouldn't compare MSC to Grachev. Not only are they different players, but there is a big difference been 80 points and 100 points, especially with the WHL being more defensive-minded and physically tougher than the OHL (and even more so the QMJHL).

This is the second time I am hearing that Grachev lit up the OHL. No, sorry, Marc Savard lit up the OHL with 150 points. Grachev merely did ok with 80.

To me, 80 points puts a question mark next to your scoring ability, whereas 100 points puts an exclamation mark. MSC needs to round out the rest of his game, but the good news is that with a 6-foot frame, he is certainly not small.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Hunter Gathers
Thx Ghost in a Jar

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
There is no in between on this guy. People love or hate him as a prospect. It's going to be very interesting to see how it all turns out for him.
I don't love him or hate him. He's a solid prospect, but his size, strength, etc. all are huge concerns.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:50 PM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
Jesper Fast, the 21-year-old Swede and the Rangers’ 2010, sixth-round draft pick previously signed and completed his season in Europe, has arrived in New York to take a physical as plans to join the NHL club. An NHL observer said in Philadelphia on Tuesday that Fast is a strong player whose best asset is his goal scoring ability
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...rs-jesper-fast

Old
03-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I bet you that NHL observer is Pierre McGuire. He said the same thing last night during the telecast.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
I bet you that NHL observer is Pierre McGuire. He said the same thing last night during the telecast.
Yup. Saw that.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't love him or hate him. He's a solid prospect, but his size, strength, etc. all are huge concerns.
Yeah. It's a total crap shoot with him. Solid checks in both the credit and debit columns for MSC. So...all the more interesting. Some guys with this set up can really come out and shock people.

Not a good comparison, but Claude Giroux comes to mind. Just in terms of the wide swing of takes on him before and after the Flyers selection. Clark did not even know his name at the time of the pick.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Reports that the Rangers are going to sign UMass-Amherst D-man Conor Allen: http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....rs-conor-allen Not sure how legit this source is though.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
MSC is 6-0 190. How is that a "huge concern"? His style of play may be a concern, but this isn't MZA, this is a guy bigger than Callahan or Hagelin, and the same as Stepan.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Reports that the Rangers are going to sign UMass-Amherst D-man Conor Allen: http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....rs-conor-allen Not sure how legit this source is though.
Actually posted the same thing in the college UFA thread. Let's keep any talk about him in there until it's official.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post

Not much offensive ability, but a decent first pass out of the zone and pretty physical.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
MSC is 6-0 190. How is that a "huge concern"? His style of play may be a concern, but this isn't MZA, this is a guy bigger than Callahan or Hagelin, and the same as Stepan.
I'm one of the people that saw MSC at the Memorial Cup last year, and did not come out very impressed. He seemed disinterested/not engaged, and didn't go to any of the dirty areas of the ice. He also seemed a little slow and smallish. I really thought he was playing hurt.

That was last year. I have not seen him play at all this year at all, so I can't comment. Hopefully he has improved his play from what I saw last year.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Ola

Lev- I ment that Fasth is very much on the outside looking in re making the Swedish National Team.

They have informed 3 wingers in Europe that they are playing in the WCH. 2 other ought to be ahead of Fast. All it takes is 3 wingers from the NHL playing and Fasth won't make it.

Hence, it would make sense for them not to recall Fasth for a few games inbetween the end of POs and NHLers joining the team.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Emptyvoid

Anyone mind giving a scouting report on Fasth?

Old
03-27-2013, 03:16 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Anyone mind giving a scouting report on Fasth?
He's more or less the right-handed version of Hagelin. Not as fast but with better hands.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
He's more or less the right-handed version of Hagelin. Not as fast but with better hands.
Pretty much bang on. He reminds me a bit of a very poor man's Henrik Zetterberg.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:05 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Pretty much bang on. He reminds me a bit of a very poor man's Henrik Zetterberg.
He's got a lot more shiftiness to his game as well. Whereas Hagelin has more blazing pure speed, Fast has more quickness. Great ability to get open and get to the front of the net.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Finally got around to update the stats. Sorry, been traveling for work.

It's just pain.
Old
03-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Pizza

I would agree with the above comments. The videos I watched showed me a player that can very good on the puck. Very persistent forecheck. Fast but also quick. As he gets experience, he could be a very hard player for the opposition to mark. Did not seem hesitant to get involved along the boards or go to the net hard. Good hands. Quick stick.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:57 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
He's got a lot more shiftiness to his game as well. Whereas Hagelin has more blazing pure speed, Fast has more quickness. Great ability to get open and get to the front of the net.
If he can transition to the NHL nicely and Kreider can keep getting better, this team is going to have 3 wingers in those two guys and Hags that are going to be awfully hard to keep up with.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:39 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

I'm not sure what I'm more excited about. Jesper making his NHL debut so we can finally see his goal scoring ability with his speed.

OR

Finally, putting an end to the age old question: Is it Fasth or Fast?

Will have to wait to see what he puts on his jersey. Personally, I hope he takes the Ichiro Suzuki route and just puts his first name "Jesper" on the back. I would respect that.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
From what I gather Fasth has a better nose for the back of the net and likely has a better shot / finishing ability than Hagelin...

I expect better goal scoring ability/potential from Fasth than I do/would from Hagelin....