HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Are we to believe that Alvarez and Lieberman had higher mental capacity than the others?
Phrenologically speaking? Absolutely Whileee. Phil couldnt even keep his noggin up during council meetings what with that oversized cranium. And Norma, well, she's sort of like Mick Jagger with his giant oversized head atop a 12 year old girls body with a 21" waist. Even still, and one year short of turning 70. Norma's case, the frame to hold it up. In both cases some seriously over-developed frontal cortex's. Impervious to coercive techniques, hersensspoelen.

Last edited by Killion: 03-27-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

To me, seeing how we're bringing up former Councilmembers, the meeting on Jan 25th, 2011 was one of the more "opportunistic" fleecings of the Council. Read pages 16-20 of the accompanying meeting minutes doc

http://www.glendaleaz.com/clerk/agen...dandPassed.pdf

sneak peek

Quote:
Mayor Scruggs asked Mr. Beasley to further explain the project.

Mr. Ed Beasley, City Manager, explained the revenue source will go to pay off the area that was contemplated by the full Council when they adopted Northern Crossing. He noted that without Northern Crossing, there was no arena.

Mr. Colson explained the city was receiving $12.5 million out of the parking disbursement funds. There is no expense to the city contained anywhere within this agreement. He added that the temporary parking agreement is in place for at least seven years and parking requirements will be impacted by the substantial number of development transactions that will need to occur to make any structured parking necessary. However, at this point, it is not possible to state what the specific requirements will be or cost.

Councilmember Clark stated the agreements tonight had no direct relationship to any future need whether it’s seven or ten years down the road as development occurs in Westgate for structure parking. Mr. Colson stated she was correct. Councilmember Clark remarked this was found money, and the city has found a creative way to work out a solution with the interested parties so that some of those dollars became Glendale’s money.
Further

Quote:
Councilmember Lieberman stated his concerns about the city paying for the next parking structure in the future. He discussed the financial issues regarding Arrowhead Mall. He thanked Mr. Colson for his presentation and for staff’s ability to negotiate for the $12.5 million. He stated he appreciated Councilmember Alvarez’s comments on using these funds for city amenities. He also agrees that he would not like to see these funds used for sporting events or debt service. He asked counsel if he could make an amendment to limit where the money might be spent
Mr. Craig Tindall, City Attorney, explained these were agreements between the private parties and the city. Additionally, this was also a budgetary matter that would fall internal to the city and those decisions should be made at another time. Mayor Scruggs asked Mr. Tindall if the city was being told how to use the $12.5 million. Mr. Tindall replied no.

Vice Mayor Frate commented that this money will not be used for ongoing programs. He indicated this money will probably be used to reduce debt. Mr. Beasley reiterated that there were no strings attached to the money. He noted the city had several processes that have to take place before any money is spent. He added that in no way has this money been dedicated to a certain source or been part of any agreement.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Read pages 16-20 of the accompanying meeting minutes doc...
Ya, I mean, nugatory? Fustian? Jejune?

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-28-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Reduction of multiple image posting - requested
Old
03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
To me, seeing how we're bringing up former Councilmembers, the meeting on Jan 25th, 2011 was one of the more "opportunistic" fleecings of the Council. Read pages 16-20 of the accompanying meeting minutes doc

http://www.glendaleaz.com/clerk/agen...dandPassed.pdf

sneak peek

Further
Yes there was an awful lot of "creative accounting" going on it seems, taking money out of certain places and just seeming to stick it wherever it was deemed to work the most-without regard to any sort of transparency and thoughts that-you know, this isn't your personal piggy bank to work with.

Seeing this reminded me of just how out of touch they seemed to be going in trying to make money "fit" where they needed it......it caught up with them though.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Guess you missed this TL....

and M4B is I believe correct. They'll likely burn through $75,000 worth of Billables @ $400 an hour within 4-7 weeks.... dinners, drinks, designated drivers, dancers, 5 dollar bills, drycleaning next day. Easy to go through 75K in 45 days or less. Hell, I think my records about 7. Mind ye', I 'd bought a nice little 13' Boston Whaler with a Merc 60 hangin off the back. No recollection of having done so but at least I had something to show for it huh?
I did actually see it, but it kind of took a jump over the fence in my head-it was there and then it was gone-then going back and seeing M4B and this again it made more sense-which for me is a big deal when anything seems to make sense

Old
03-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Quote:
Ya, I mean, nugatory? Fustian? Jejune?
Sure as all get out hope that wasn't directed towards me, K, seeing how I authored the post. In some parts of the world, themz fytin' werdz

Old
03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I did actually see it, but it kind of took a jump over the fence in my head-it was there and then it was gone-then going back and seeing M4B...
.... Gotcha. And aye, I should perhaps take after my Scottish cousin. More parsimonious the wordsmith. Direct....

Quote:
Sure as all get out hope that wasn't directed towards me, K, seeing how I authored the post. In some parts of the world, themz fytin' werdz
.... huh? No of course not, the link to the Council Minutes. Like reading some absurdist fiction, Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus... Jack Handey... if your riding in a time machine far into the future, dont casually stick your elbow out the window or it'll turn into a fossil... like that almost... just... peculiar... through the rabbit hole... carry on.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Llama19

vCash: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Yes there was an awful lot of "creative accounting" going on it seems, taking money out of certain places and just seeming to stick it wherever it was deemed to work the most-without regard to any sort of transparency and thoughts that-you know, this isn't your personal piggy bank to work with.

Seeing this reminded me of just how out of touch they seemed to be going in trying to make money "fit" where they needed it......it caught up with them though.
I'm sure that the $200,000 audit by HPF&M will reveal all of these 'creative accounting' transactions...

Old
03-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Quote:

.... huh? No of course not, the link to the Council Minutes. Like reading some absurdist fiction, Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus... Jack Handey... if your riding in a time machine far into the future, dont casually stick your elbow out the window or it'll turn into a fossil... like that almost... just... peculiar... through the rabbit hole... carry on.
Ah, then... very well. The piper has ceased our rendition of Lock the Door Lariston and struck up The Tan Hills of Glendale/When The Battle Is O'er

Old
03-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Undertakerqc

Darren Dreger just said on the Habs game on TSN that there is a good chance the Coyotes move, and that the most likely destination is Québec City. He said Key Arena is not suitable for NHL hockey. So Seattle won get the Coyotes.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:34 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Darren Dreger did a few minutes on the Coyotes during the 2nd intermission of the Habs-Bruin's game.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-28-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Reduction of multiple image posting - requested
Old
03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Darren Dreger just said on the Habs game on TSN that there is a good chance the Coyotes move, and that the most likely destination is Québec City. He said Key Arena is not suitable for NHL hockey. So Seattle won get the Coyotes.
That's very interesting. Dreger is pretty much the unoffical NHL emisaary on TSN in terms of the Yotes saga.

Still wouldn't count Seattle 100% out until, the decision of the Sac Kings is made next month.

Either way the next couple months will be fun to wacth....Nordiques meter coming soon?

Old
03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
NHL continues to fight to keep Yotes in Glendale, however, relocation decision could take player before the playoffs. #TSN

03-27-2013, 09:42 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
NHL continues to fight to keep Yotes in Glendale, however, relocation decision could take player before the playoffs. #TSN
I think the NHL is really waiting on what happens to the sacramento Kings idea before decision.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:45 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m
I think they're on waivers... RT @cotsonika: So the NHL is trading the Coyotes before the deadline?

well that's one way of describing this saga (sidenote: how long does a saga have to be before it becomes a tome?)

Old
03-27-2013, 09:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Let's spin the realignment wheel again

Old
03-27-2013, 09:47 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
@DarrenDreger
Quebec City, Seattle and Kansas City among relocation sites. Aside from conference issues, Que City appears best fit. Far from done deal...
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...90095582830592

Haven't heard Kansas City brought up seriously in quite a while....

Old
03-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I think the NHL is really waiting on what happens to the sacramento Kings idea before decision.
Dreger said the NHL wont play at Key arena. Its not suitable for NHL hockey.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:50 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger now
Quebec City, Seattle and Kansas City among relocation sites. Aside from conference issues, Que City appears best fit. Far from done deal...
Isn't Kansas City within that buffer zone where they would have to pay an extra fee to St Louis?

I maybe just stupid, but I swear there was some 250 mile thing in regards to expansion and relocation.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:50 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Dreger is the minister of information for the NHL on TSN. He only speaks about what the league wants him to talk about. His source is usually Willy d.

If Dreger is bringing up anything about the Coyotes and relocation it is because the league wants him to. Perhaps the NHL is getting in front of the story before some politician comes forward and says that there are no buyers for the Coyotes to keep the team in Glendale and that they are relocating somewhere.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Listened to the TSN link w/ Dreger tonight. Around the 1:32 mark, he mentions KC but they wanted a 15 year agreement.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/893715/clip/331

Is They the city leaders there or is there an ownership group lurking around down there?

Old
03-27-2013, 09:54 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Isn't Kansas City within that buffer zone where they would have to pay an extra fee to St Louis?

I maybe just stupid, but I swear there was some 250 mile thing in regards to expansion and relocation.
No, only fifty miles.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
jfb392

Quote:
aaronward_nhl Further to @DarrenDreger #PHX relocation.NHLPA source,expect decision to come before start of playoffs.Gone is Glendale $25M subsidy. #TSN
http://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/sta...93258134167552

Old
03-27-2013, 10:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Further to @DarrenDreger #PHX relocation.NHLPA source,expect decision to come before start of playoffs.Gone is Glendale $25M subsidy.
https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/st...93258134167552

Old
03-27-2013, 10:04 PM
cutchemist42

NHL trotting out KC the same way they tried to trot out Saskatoon last year?

The Kings situation is huge here I think.

Closed Thread