HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Miller to TB

Old
03-27-2013, 10:04 PM
zeykshade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
Maybe, but I see the Goalie position as more of an issue than top 6 wingers now and for the foreseeable future.
**** it. Do it. Kucherov > Connolly amirite?

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:06 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
**** it. Do it. Kucherov > Connolly amirite?
I don't see it that way, I'm still not sure whether Kucherov's game will translate at the pro level. Connolly's already making big strides as an almost PPG player in the AHL. Was in the discussion for the number 1 overall pick in his draft year before the injuries.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:06 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
So lets acquire a goalie who is playing worse than the goaltender.we.acquired to be our #1. Plus he makes 3 times more than said goalie, would cost us good.assets to acquire and will most likely walk after next year. Sounds like a really good idea.
How is playing worse than Lindback? Buffalo has arguably an even worse defense than us and Miller has a better Save% and the same GAA. Plus he's played in more games this year and is a proven #1 goaltender who could be had for a decent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
I wouldn't. But I'm not a GM. I think Connolly is a top 6 winger for the Bolts next year.
#1 goalies are harder to find than top 6 wingers and are worth more. But, remember that Buffalo is in our division next year guys, be careful what pieces we are giving to a future division rival

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:09 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
How is playing worse than Lindback? Buffalo has arguably an even worse defense than us and Miller has a better S% and the same GAA. Plus he's played in more games this year and is a proven #1 goaltender who could be had for a decent price.

#1 goalies are harder to find than top 6 wingers and are worth more. But, remember that Buffalo is in our division next year guys, be careful what pieces we are giving to a future division rival
Exactly, which is why I would loathe seeing Connolly flourish there. Buffalo is a cluster **** of second line forwards though and I could really see him being a top line winger there with Vanek.

Buffalo trading Miller also likely ensures them getting a top 3 pick. So essentially, we're trading them Connolly and Drouin or MacKinnon for one season of Miller...doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:12 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Also, the rumour is that Boston just got Iginla...I hope they can't re-sign him this summer or else I'll hate our division even more

Old
03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Also, the rumour is that Boston just got Iginla...I hope they can't re-sign him this summer or else I'll hate our division even more
Yup

Old
03-27-2013, 10:17 PM
HoseEmDown

Miller's numbers have slowly been decreasing since he won the Vezina. I don't think he's a top 5 goalie anymore and I don't buy Buffalo's D is that much woree than ours. If we move Connolly i'd like to see it for a young top 4 D which is much more of an issue for us. Salo will be gone next year and with Brewer turning into garbage we need help right away. Gudas and Aulie aren't top 4 ready yet.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:17 PM
HedMonster 77

Purcell for Miller maybe???
with some tweaking

HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
I think Miller's a fantastic goalie, but I question the timing of making such a deal. I know Cooper's dead set on trying to get us to the playoffs, but I really feel that it won't matter how good the goalie we get is, until we address the defence. I'd prefer to see Cooper come in first and evaluate how far this team really is from the playoffs and if he can actually make the immediate impact he's claiming he can.

I would loathe seeing us finish 10th or 11th again this year and miss out on an elite prospect in the top 3. However, I love seeing us win too so I'm torn. Hopefully Miller would be able to provide us the stability we need in net, but he hasn't made a difference in Buffalo with their defence, so I can't see him doing much better in Tampa (unless the change of scenery was all he needed).

Trading Connolly would be a huge risk since he's developing very nicely in the AHL right now and would look great in our top 6 (especially once St.Louis eventually retires). I would prefer to package two offensive prospects like Namestnikov and Kucherov, opposed to giving up a more sure thing in Connoly.

You want to give up what could quite possibly be the second most talented forward on our team in the near future in Kucherov, and what should be our 2nd/3rd line tweener center of the future, but you wont give up Connolly?

IdealisticSniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Boston has like $6.167 million In cap space to sign like 5 players and Iginla will want at least $5.0 million over 3 years I just dont see how they can afford him.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post

You want to give up what could quite possibly be the second most talented forward on our team in the near future in Kucherov, and what should be our 2nd/3rd line tweener center of the future, but you wont give up Connolly?
And what has Kucherov proved at the AHL level? Namestnikov is struggling to produce in the AHL right now and has never been known to be an exceptional offensive player. Connolly is a known commodity and the only elite prospect we have in our system right now.

clearly you're the joke valuing "potential" that may never be realized over a more sure thing.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Miller's numbers have slowly been decreasing since he won the Vezina. I don't think he's a top 5 goalie anymore and I don't buy Buffalo's D is that much woree than ours. If we move Connolly i'd like to see it for a young top 4 D which is much more of an issue for us. Salo will be gone next year and with Brewer turning into garbage we need help right away. Gudas and Aulie aren't top 4 ready yet.
Excuse me if I dont think highly of a scouting report from the same guy who praises Brian Lee and thinks hes a top 4 defenseman.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Isn't Salo signed on for one more season? I hear you though, we definitely could use an upgrade to our top 4. I would rather trade Teddy for that solution though (roster player for roster player).

Old
03-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Allaboard

Guys you have to give something up, you can't have this surplus of forwards you can only play so many

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
And what has Kucherov proved at the AHL level? Namestnikov is struggling to produce in the AHL right now and has never been known to be an exceptional offensive player. Connolly is a known commodity and the only elite prospect we have in our system right now.

clearly you're the joke valuing "potential" that may never be realized over a more sure thing.
I dont care what Kucherov has proven at the AHL level. He is infinitely more talented than Connolly.

Namesnitkov has been just fine in the AHL, hes just been hurt most of the year.

Connolly is NOT elite. Hes very good. But hes NOT elite.

I would trade Connolly for Miller in a heartbeat. Connolly will be good at the NHL leve. 20-30 goal guy I would say. But we have plenty of offensive prospects and wont miss his production. We would instantly received benefits from Miller.

Oh and one more thing. Connolly is as much a "sure thing" as Kucherov. Dont know how you could think otherwise.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Excuse me if I dont think highly of a scouting report from the same guy who praises Brian Lee and thinks hes a top 4 defenseman.
Is this the exact same Brian Lee that was just put on waivers by Tampa Bay.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:27 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
I dont care what Kucherov has proven at the AHL level. He is infinitely more talented than Connolly.

I would trade Connolly for Miller in a heartbeat.
Who cares if Kucherov has better hands than Connolly? Connolly is by far the better sniper and his game will be more translatable to the pro style.

Connolly scored 30 goals as a 16 year-old rookie in the WHL, a league much tougher to score in than the offensively minded QJMHL that Kucherov is playing in. Also, this doesn't even consider the fact that Connolly outscored Kucherov in both years that he was healthy (60 pts in his first year compared to Kucherov's 53 and then Connolly produced 73 pts in his third season with Prince George).

EDIT: Kucherov had 63 points this year, but still Connolly had 60 as a 16-year old ROOKIE in the WHL.

Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 03-27-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 10:28 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:

I would trade Connolly for Miller in a heartbeat. Connolly will be good at the NHL leve. 20-30 goal guy I would say. But we have plenty of offensive prospects and wont miss his production. We would instantly received benefits from Miller.

Oh and one more thing. Connolly is as much a "sure thing" as Kucherov. Dont know how you could think otherwise.
How? I'd take proven ppg AHL production over a 63 pt season in the weak QJMHL league any day. Connolly was a better player than Kucherov in junior and accumulated better stats in a tougher and more physical league.

Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 03-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 10:29 PM
HedMonster 77

are the sabres interested in Brewer he is expendable i think, but i don't know if he holds much trade value

edit: don't make this a Kucherov vs Connolly thread

Old
03-27-2013, 10:30 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

The acquisition of Lindback is not consistent with the move to Cooper. Lindback wasn't the immediate answer and Yzerman knew it. But moving to Cooper, Yzerman indicates that he wants to compete now and next season. This change may support the rumor's claim that Miller is an option for TB.

The question for Yzerman is whether or not Lindback can be the goalie we need him to be over the next season(s). With enough NHL experience he may become a serviceable NHL goalie (or even a perennial top 10 goalie). But when will that day come? Lindback has shown improvements and his numbers aren't terrible considering his inexperience. Vasilevskiy will (hopefully) be ready no later than the 2015-16 season.

On one side Yzerman has to weigh:
  • the risk of Lindback not allowing the team to compete now and next season.
  • the risk of Vasilevskiy not being ready in the next 3 years (or ever).

On the other side:
  • the cap hit increase from Miller.
  • the players or prospects traded away.
  • the risk of Miller not being an improvement (we still have defensive holes, too).

I don't think we should trade Connolly unless we get more of a guaranteed improvement - with immediate impact.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:31 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedMonster 77 View Post
are the sabres interested in Brewer he is expendable i think, but i don't know if he holds much trade value
I wish! Brewer, Teddy and a pick for Miller?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:34 PM
MattM92

Quote:
I wish! Brewer, Teddy and a pick for Miller?
JF Jacques, Jared Nightingale and Alex Hutchings for Miller+1st

Old
03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
HedMonster 77

Garon, J.Brown,2nd round pick, R.Helenius and another 2nd rounder or B.Pouliot

i'm not goodwith this trade and value thing so don't bash me

Last edited by HedMonster 77: 03-27-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
JF Jacques, Jared Nightingale and Alex Hutchings for Miller+1st
Might have to throw in a center like Phillip-Michael Devos, but other than that I love it!

Old
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
HedMonster 77

if we get Miller we are trading one of other goalie prospects for sure, R.Helenius the most likely.