HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Which is the ''home'' team in Saskatchewan and Manitoba?

Old
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Lupulfan*

vCash: 500
Which is the ''home'' team in Saskatchewan and Manitoba?

I spent 5 years in Saskatchewan, and got the feeling it was an Oilers/leaf country.

Can't speak for Manitoba, but people have told me it's Oiler country.

Any ex/current Saskatchewanians or Manitobans shed some light?

Lupulfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Hawker14

i'd say the leafs in manitoba. any time the leafs were in town to play the jets it seemed like half the arena supported the leafs. the habs also had alot of support.

since the jets left alot of fans support the flames and oilers, with a smaller bunch supporting the wild. but i'd say the leafs are #1, especially with the older crowd.

that said, there is still a healthy dose of hatred from many fans regarding the flames, oilers and canucks as old memories die hard.

personally, i can't get over the fact we have the farm team for the hated canucks, yuck !

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
It depends on who you grew up cheering for.

I'm an Oiler fan, my one brother is a Flames fan and the other is a Habs fan. We all cheered for the Jets when they were in the Peg.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 01:23 PM
God Bless Canada

Well, in a lot of Sask. communities, the predominant team is the junior team. Local kids dream of being a Regina Pat or a Swift Current Bronco or a Battlefords North Star or a Melville Millionaire.

As far as the NHL, here in the southeast corner of the province, a lot of older fans (older than 40) cheer for Montreal or Toronto due to the Original 6 ties. A lot of older fans cheer for the other Original 6 teams. Among the younger fans, there are a lot of Leafs fans. Not as many Hab fans, especially among those under 20. A lot of Flames and Oilers fans, because of the proximity to Alberta, and a lot of people know a lot of people in those two cities. (Thank you very much, brain drain). Not that many Canuck or Senator fans. I'm a Canuck fan, and a lot of people who cheer for the Canucks are in my boat: born in B.C., maybe raised in B.C., eventually moved to Sask.

Among the 25-40 group, most cheer for Canadian teams, or one of the more illustrious American teams (Original Six teams, Philly, Pittsburgh because of Lemieux). Down here, a lot of people pull for Dallas because Brenden Morrow is from the area. Among the under-25s, again, a lot of people cheer for the Canadian teams, but you're more likely to find someone who pulls for Colorado, San Jose or other newer teams like those.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 02:25 PM
KariyaIsGod*

I'm a Sabre fan.

A lot of Winnipeggers are Hab fans though. There is a large french-Canadian population in the province of Manitoba and they all cheer for Montreal...

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Aarex

In regina there is a big oiler fan base.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Hawker14

i've also heard there's quite a few banjo-pickin' inbreds in saskatchewan and that's why they root for the roughriders.

see ya at the banjo bowl suckers !!!

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:24 PM
canada_mapleleaf

Here in Manitoba we have a pretty big french population. A good 90% of the french are fans of the Habs. But in heart we are ALL STILL JETS FAN.
I am part of the 10 %. I am a Leafs fan.

GO JETS GO !!!
COMING BACK BY 2010

canada_mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote