HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner '13 Version | Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 06:33 PM
beauchamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post

It if funny because it is a figure of speech. When you drive by an accident on the highway you slow down and usually based on human nature you look. In relation to don cherry you slow down and look/watch because he is a wreck.

Sorry if you dont get it, or are you just being super serious for the sake of being super serious
I don't think you needed to go into that much details.

But again...

Better be safe than sorry, I guess.

Some people sense of humour seem to shrink drastically as soon as there's any hint of criticism of their idol/god.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:20 AM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
I agree with you. Seems so many on here live to trash him.
Maybe it's learned behaviour when he was coaching in Boston.

As for the little kid. Not sure but I was thinking he's blind.
If I had to guess, I'd say the kid at the end has Down Syndrome.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:36 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
I think you need to look up your definition of the word "fact"
Why?

Every team dives from time to time, and the Bruins two top players from that cup run were American (Thomas) and Slovak (Chara).

Don Cherry isn't immune to being wrong

Old
03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
top 10 scoring is 9 canadians, 1 american. looks like grapes was correct.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
top 10 scoring is 9 canadians, 1 american. looks like grapes was correct.
No you didn't.

All secondary assists.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:09 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
The problem with this post chastising his opinions? It only contains opinions even though the word fact made an appearance, inaccurately.

I am not saying he is right or wrong, I am saying that if you think his act "is getting old"...then stop watching him. It is for this reason that when Glen Heally starts talking, I flip the TV to Seinfeld reruns or curling or something until the game resumes. Heally sucks, in my opinion, but I don't race to my computer when he says something stupid and complain about how sad it makes me.
But yet you are here valiantly defending your lumberjack idol week after week. This is a internet message board where people like to post random thoughts for entertainment, not some academic seminar.

If those people bother you so much, why not just ignore them instead of engaging. Seems to me like you enjoy it all at least as much as the people you so eagerly criticize.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:47 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
But yet you are here valiantly defending your lumberjack idol week after week. This is a internet message board where people like to post random thoughts for entertainment, not some academic seminar.

If those people bother you so much, why not just ignore them instead of engaging. Seems to me like you enjoy it all at least as much as the people you so eagerly criticize.
Good post.

Intelligent use of the mirror tactic, aka pot/kettle.

Bravo.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Hanji

Quote:
I am sure many people were terribly disappointed last week. They were not able to be outraged and the subsequently write about how outraged they were. They had to be not outraged for a whole week. Good thing he came through this week and made some not-even-serious remarks about the Bruins diving and being Canadian (he was basically laughing at himself when Ron brought up Marchand, but I digress).

Now they can go back to being terribly distraught and get back to the name-calling (senile, dinosaur, etc.). Because, of course, they hate Don's name-calling and the hate being distraught.

You're missing the point about Cherry nowadays.
People loved to be offended be him. It's like a racist grandfather that you must endure, but later say "I can't believe he said that!" with a smile on one's face. And make no mistake, Cherry plays the part to perfection.

The real problem is the dinosaurs who still take him seriously. I hope as a society we've moved on from the racist, xenophobic and repressive culturalism of the 1950s.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:18 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
People loved to be offended be him. It's like a racist grandfather that you must endure, but later say "I can't believe he said that!" with a smile on one's face. And make no mistake, Cherry plays the part to perfection.

The real problem is the dinosaurs who still take him seriously. I hope as a society we've moved on from the racist, xenophobic and repressive culturalism of the 1950s.
While I agree to a certain extent that people seek a statement that they can facepalm every week, I do not accept that he is any of those things you mentioned.

A little controversial, sure. But it's about the game, not people. If Don met a Swedish guy on the street, they would go have a beer and a great time. In the studio, he might slam Swedish hockey because there is a certain style or element of the Swedish game he does not like. But that does not mean he hates Swedes, do you know what I mean?

I hate Spanish bull fighting. I find it barbaric and cruel. I prefer bloodless bullfights in Canada. But I don't hate Spaniards. An extreme analogy, but I think it kind of relates.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:27 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

Quote:
While I agree to a certain extent that people seek a statement that they can facepalm every week, I do not accept that he is any of those things you mentioned.

A little controversial, sure. But it's about the game, not people. If Don met a Swedish guy on the street, they would go have a beer and a great time. In the studio, he might slam Swedish hockey because there is a certain style or element of the Swedish game he does not like. But that does not mean he hates Swedes, do you know what I mean?

I hate Spanish bull fighting. I find it barbaric and cruel. I prefer bloodless bullfights in Canada. But I don't hate Spaniards. An extreme analogy, but I think it kind of relates.
You seem to see through his game, and if so bravo.

What's damaging about what he does and what any shock radio/TV star does is to play on the prejudices that a great number of their fans have.

Even if Don would not have an ounce of prejudice/xenophobia in him, a good number of his fans are racist/prejudiced/xenophobic.

It's what makes the Bill O'Reilly of this world so dangerous.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Hanji

Quote:

Ok, but even if you may not approve of bullfighting, you'd never public denigrate a Spaniard or call someone a 'chicken Spaniard'.

Yes, if Cherry met a Swede on the street he'd probably have a beer with him, but Cherry has to live up to an on screen image to stay relevant, and that relevance is predicated on bigotry; it's what people expect of him. There's a difference between not liking the Swedish way of hockey, and calling someone a "Chicken Swede", or the countless names he's called Russians. Many of his innuendos that transcend hockey.
How about the episode where he ripped on homosexuals?

Like I said, much of Cherry's schtick is derived from 1950s era xenophobic mentality, and he plays it to perfection. It's extremely entertaining, but the people that should be laughed at are the individuals who take him seriously.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:26 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Ok, but even if you may not approve of bullfighting, you'd never public denigrate a Spaniard or call someone a 'chicken Spaniard'.

Yes, if Cherry met a Swede on the street he'd probably have a beer with him, but Cherry has to live up to an on screen image to stay relevant, and that relevance is predicated on bigotry; it's what people expect of him. There's a difference between not liking the Swedish way of hockey, and calling someone a "Chicken Swede", or the countless names he's called Russians. Many of his innuendos that transcend hockey.
How about the episode where he ripped on homosexuals?

Like I said, much of Cherry's schtick is derived from 1950s era xenophobic mentality, and he plays it to perfection. It's extremely entertaining, but the people that should be laughed at are the individuals who take him seriously.
I guess I don't look at it as black or white. I don't see him the way you see him, probably because in part he does speak to my radically patriotic pro-Canadian side. I see him as pro-Canadian more than I see him anti-anything. I think if what you said was true, that he was truly xenophobic or homophobic, he would be off the air. No doubt, the boisterous, obnoxious old guy act is his schtick, and he does play it well. But it is only an act.

In reality, Canadians are extremely tolerant and accepting of all cultures and lifestyles, and we would not accept someone we felt did not reflect that. He's an outlet for some of our deep seeded conservative feelings, I guess, but I really don't think anyone feels like he hates any of the people he criticizes or goes after in his rants. We're in on it, and anyone who doesn't get it and takes it seriously is probably that way anyhow. He is not making anyone anti-anything.

One time Don went on a rant about women not paying attention at hockey games. He said something to the effect of "It's always a woman, yapping" who gets hit with a puck. Several years later (maybe ten or more), I watched him come to tears over the death of a girl who, at a hockey game, died when she was hit by a puck. It was at a Blue Jackets game, I think.

What he says as an entertainer and what is in his heart are two different things. When I first heard the woman yapping comment, I laughed and told my wife he's right. When he cried, I cried with him.

I am not sure if understanding him is cultural, generational or what. But he is not what you say he is. I believe the guy would put his life on the line for a person of color, a person from Sweden, or a gay man.

I feel like many of us know his heart, and that is why we defend the guy, even though I understand some of the stuff he comes up with at face value seems outrageous.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Hanji

Quote:
I guess I don't look at it as black or white. I don't see him the way you see him, probably because in part he does speak to my radically patriotic pro-Canadian side. I see him as pro-Canadian more than I see him anti-anything. I think if what you said was true, that he was truly xenophobic or homophobic, he would be off the air. No doubt, the boisterous, obnoxious old guy act is his schtick, and he does play it well. But it is only an act.

In reality, Canadians are extremely tolerant and accepting of all cultures and lifestyles, and we would not accept someone we felt did not reflect that. He's an outlet for some of our deep seeded conservative feelings, I guess, but I really don't think anyone feels like he hates any of the people he criticizes or goes after in his rants. We're in on it, and anyone who doesn't get it and takes it seriously is probably that way anyhow. He is not making anyone anti-anything.

One time Don went on a rant about women not paying attention at hockey games. He said something to the effect of "It's always a woman, yapping" who gets hit with a puck. Several years later (maybe ten or more), I watched him come to tears over the death of a girl who, at a hockey game, died when she was hit by a puck. It was at a Blue Jackets game, I think.

What he says as an entertainer and what is in his heart are two different things. When I first heard the woman yapping comment, I laughed and told my wife he's right. When he cried, I cried with him.

I am not sure if understanding him is cultural, generational or what. But he is not what you say he is. I believe the guy would put his life on the line for a person of color, a person from Sweden, or a gay man.

I feel like many of us know his heart, and that is why we defend the guy, even though I understand some of the stuff he comes up with at face value seems outrageous.
So we're basically on the same page. It's the people who take him seriously that should be dismissed.

Cherry's a very smart entertainer and he plays his part to perfection. But his act is derived from nationalism and bigotry. The Cold War is over yet the innuendos still exist. However there is something appealing about ignorant and sentimental old-timers that hold on to this idealism. At the end of the day its great entertainment.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:00 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
So we're basically on the same page. It's the people who take him seriously that should be dismissed.

Cherry's a very smart entertainer and he plays his part to perfection. But his act is derived from nationalism and bigotry. The Cold War is over yet the innuendos still exist. However there is something appealing about ignorant and sentimental old-timers that hold on to this idealism. At the end of the day its great entertainment.
Fair enough.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:

It seems to me that those people who take him seriously are the people who claim to not like him, people like yourself, beauchamp and Jussi among others. You're the ones who need to relax and stop trying to assign thoughts and ideologies that just aren't there.

I like Cherry, and, some of his views are bang on - not all of them, but if a scorecard was available, I'll bet he's right more often than any other hockey pundit. At least cherry will go out on a limb and challenge the establishment. The no-touch icing is just one example, Instigator another, and that's been championed by Cherry. The Lebruns and McKenzies of the league didn't say squat until they knew it was safe to say something.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I take him seriously and I agree with what he say.

It's just that it's great that soldiers and cops are honored. Also I enjoy fighting in hockey.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
It seems to me that those people who take him seriously are the people who claim to not like him, people like yourself, beauchamp and Jussi among others. You're the ones who need to relax and stop trying to assign thoughts and ideologies that just aren't there.

I like Cherry, and, some of his views are bang on - not all of them, but if a scorecard was available, I'll bet he's right more often than any other hockey pundit. At least cherry will go out on a limb and challenge the establishment. The no-touch icing is just one example, Instigator another, and that's been championed by Cherry. The Lebruns and McKenzies of the league didn't say squat until they knew it was safe to say something.
It's not those who take him seriously and don't like him that worrying.

It's those who take him seriously and approve of what he says.

And I did acknowledge that he's right from time to time.

Long life to Cherry the libertarian...

Old
03-27-2013, 05:50 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

Very good post.

This is an intelligent use of the mirror tactic, also known as pot to kettle.

Congrats.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Hanji

Quote:

You don't understand. Some people take Cherry seriously not because of who he is, but rather what he represents to the uneducated.
He's very much like the Bill O'Reilly of hockey. In and of himself Cherry is entertaining and funny. But not everybody gets Cherry's shtick. Many idiots gravitate towards elements of his bigotry and take it at face value.
Like I said earlier, it's the individuals who take him seriously in this manner who should be laughed at.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
You don't understand. Some people take Cherry seriously not because of who he is, but rather what he represents to the uneducated.
He's very much like the Bill O'Reilly of hockey. In and of himself Cherry is entertaining and funny. But not everybody gets Cherry's shtick. Many idiots gravitate towards elements of his bigotry and take it at face value.
Like I said earlier, it's the individuals who take him seriously in this manner who should be laughed at.
Now, why would you say Bill O'Reilly and not Keith Olberman, Rachel Maddow or Bill Mahar?

Old
03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
I think you are vastly (and by vastly, I mean epically) underestimating the intelligence of Canadians, whom I can only assume you believe to be the fools mindlessly following his every word. By the way, I think you also overestimate the bigotry, too.

Quote:
Now, why would you say Bill O'Reilly and not Keith Olberman, Rachel Maddow or Bill Mahar?
Brilliant.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Hanji

Quote:
Because O'Reilly is the first bigot who came to mind. O'Reilly, Olberman, Maddow, Mahar, they're all the same.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Hanji

Quote:
I think you are vastly (and by vastly, I mean epically) underestimating the intelligence of Canadians, whom I can only assume you believe to be the fools mindlessly following his every word. By the way, I think you also overestimate the bigotry, too.
Unless Canadians are inherently smarter than every other nationality, a portion of them will be mindless sheep who'll listen and believe anything told to them; even bigoted and xenophobic ideals.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Hanji

And what's this have to do with Canadians? There's plenty of Americans who subscribe to elements of Cherry's outdated 1950s idiocy.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:46 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Unless Canadians are inherently smarter than every other nationality, a portion of them will be mindless sheep who'll listen and believe anything told to them; even bigoted and xenophobic ideals.
Quote:
And what's this have to do with Canadians? There's plenty of Americans who subscribe to elements of Cherry's outdated 1950s idiocy.
Canadians are not inherently smarter, but maybe we understand Cherry better than people from other countries.

Chris Rock says far more racist, vile things (in a certain context) than Cherry ever has on his worst night, and he is beloved by Americans as a terrific comedian. Are Americans not as bright or maybe are they in on a joke?

I would say that like Canadians with Cherry, they are in on the joke. Like Rock, there is a subtext that contains some truth, but it is presented in a ridiculous way for effect.

Grapes is not in it for the same kind of laughs, but do you think a guy who was completely serious would dress the way he does? Come on.

Those people who take what any of these commentators/comedians say seriously and apply it in a way to promote hate...I would suggest they didn't need much encouragement.

Closed Thread