HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Kevy-- I'm assuming the list is now non-existent? The new Glendale council doesn't seem to want to play the way that Mayor Scruggs et al did.
It looks like the big dog is taking his ball away from Glendale and going home...

Old
03-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMELIN74 View Post
I just don't see the coyotes moving to quebec city(even if I would love too since I live 20 minutes away from quebec), the nhl just transferred 2 teams in the eastern conference... why would they that if they are going to move the coyotes to quebec and end up with 17 teams in the east and 13 in the western conference. They would have to either have quebec play in the western conference or realign the division again and get an approval from the nhlpa again

The coyotes are either staying in Phoenix are moving to Seattle...
I hope I am wrong but I just don't believe that the nhl would waste time to realign the division twice in a 1 or 2 month span... doesn't make sense at all
It's because there is no other option for them.

There is no good arena in Seattle according to the NHL's Mouth. (and the new one wont be there soon enough)

There is no owner/subsidy coming from Glendale.

There is no other possible owner/town (except maybe KC, we'll see).

So they have NO CHOICE. We're their last choice. They dont want to give us a team. But here's the thing: There's no alternative!

Old
03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
It's because there is no other option for them.

There is no good arena in Seattle according to the NHL's Mouth. (and the new one wont be there soon enough)

There is no owner/subsidy coming from Glendale.

There is no other possible owner/town (except maybe KC, we'll see).

So they have NO CHOICE. We're their last choice. They dont want to give us a team. But here's the thing: There's no alternative!
I hope you are right but I wont get my hopes too high, I just don't want to disappointed like I was last summer!

Old
03-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
They dont want to give us a team. But here's the thing: There's no alternative!
I'm not sure I even believe that. GB did make that "righting a few wrongs" comment, and the league cannot be oblivious to the success story that Atlanta to Winnipeg ended up being.

Old
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMELIN74 View Post
I just don't see the coyotes moving to quebec city(even if I would love too since I live 20 minutes away from quebec), the nhl just transferred 2 teams in the eastern conference... why would they that if they are going to move the coyotes to quebec and end up with 17 teams in the east and 13 in the western conference. They would have to either have quebec play in the western conference or realign the division again and get an approval from the nhlpa again

The coyotes are either staying in Phoenix are moving to Seattle...
I hope I am wrong but I just don't believe that the nhl would waste time to realign the division twice in a 1 or 2 month span... doesn't make sense at all
There is surely a plan B should the Coyotes move to Quebec City. Either they leave Columbus in the west, or they play Québec in the Jets division for a couple of years, like the Jets had to go thrue.

Old
Major4Boarding
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Two very credible insiders, and NHl mouthpieces have said the NHL would never play at Key Arena, Dreger and Renaud Lavoie. Seattle is not ready, if the Coyotes move this year its to Québec City.
Lavoie gave his opinion that Key was not suitable and that the League wouldn't see it as an option. Daly, for whatever reason, stated the contrary on RTS with McCown. Dreger stated tonite that Seattle is not ready and may not be ready. All those combined do not translate to never, imo.

Quote:
Samething, they are not ready for relocation this year.
I guess why I was asking was because I have different interpretations of "not suitable" versus "no arena".

Old
03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
It looks like the big dog is taking his ball away from Glendale and going home...

Cute pics, you can really feel the pain on the small dog's eyes.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Lavoie gave his opinion that Key was not suitable and that the League wouldn't see it as an option. Daly, for whatever reason, stated the contrary on RTS with McCown. Dreger stated tonite that Seattle is not ready and may not be ready. All those combined do not translate to never, imo.

I guess what I was asking was because I have different interpretations of "not suitable" versus "no arena".
Dreger is the NHL mouthpiece. Seattle just isnt ready. Heck, we dont even have certainty they will have a new arena just yet, while Québec is building its arena. Yvon Pedneault also has been told by NHL executive that the NHL isnt to thrilled to be a second tenant in the new arena.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:04 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

It seems to me that the current NHL business model almost demands that the team owner have sole or at least primary revenue from the arena in which the team plays in order to make it work out. Just an observation.

This would, as far as such things go, put Quebec's viability ahead of Seattle if Seattle is lower dog (basically, you'd have Atlanta 2.0, but perhaps not as hostile?).

Old
03-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Actually, the biggest clue about something was brewing is PKP leaving his CEO job of Québécor...
Yes, that was certainly an interesting development. To step back & relinquish control like that at his age? Didnt quite add up...

Quote:
Sounds to me like KC is saying "We'll not be playing the role of any port in the storm" with that 15 yr minimum.
Ya, the Mayor there, one Sly "Super Freak" James, not willing to give an inch in way of any breaks or subsidies to either the NHL nor even the NBA. About a year or two back in an interview basically stating "if they come here, no handouts, no subsidies, and theyd better win" or words to that affect. Gotta say, I admire that attitude.

Quote:
...All those combined do not translate to never, imo.
Yep. Mixed signals huh? Just based on past history, almost any facility will do provided its got a minimum of what, 10-12,000+ seats? Provided shovels are in the ground, Hell, pitch a big-top somewhere and bring in the icemakers from the Winter Classic.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:16 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post

Yep. Mixed signals huh? Just based on past history, almost any facility will do provided its got a minimum of what, 10-12,000+ seats? Provided shovels are in the ground, Hell, pitch a big-top somewhere and bring in the icemakers from the Winter Classic.
Big enough tent and you could make it a 3-rink circus...

Old
03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Dreger is the NHL mouthpiece. Seattle just isnt ready. Heck, we dont even have certainty they will have a new arena just yet, while Québec is building its arena. Yvon Pedneault also has been told by NHL executive that the NHL isnt to thrilled to be a second tenant in the new arena.
Pretty much. And youve got Ron Burkle of the Penguins wanting to buy the Sacramento Kings & pay for a portion of the new building down there in California. I dont see how Stern's going to justify moving the team now, not after the City's voted up approvals on their end of the financing, some $250M++ commitment. Ticket surcharges & parking rev's used to finance. Seattle, Hansen, job#1 is the NBA. That falls through, no arena. And even if they do secure the Kings, I just cant imagine they could pull off getting everything, both the NBA & the NHL in place from June-October. Love to see a team in Seattle, but do it right or just dont bother.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Patofqc

CNNSI article: http://nhl.si.com/2013/03/27/phoenix...ssibly-moving/

Old
03-27-2013, 10:28 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
John Shannon @JSportsnet
With a report of potential relocation of Phx to Quebec,hearing that there is a new group of Canadians Investors looking at the Coyotes.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
03-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Big enough tent and you could make it a 3-rink circus...
... good one. With extremely risky over-head high wire acts, psychotic
Clowns working the crowds... I know exactly where to find extreme acts like that...

Old
03-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
John Shannon @JSportsnet
With a report of potential relocation of Phx to Quebec,hearing that there is a new group of Canadians Investors looking at the Coyotes.
Yeah there is a dozen of groups looking at the Coyotes yet none will buy them.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Someone tell me why I'm wrong, because I KNOW I am-

250 hours, that's like 10 days (or 20 if they are doing 12 hr a day).

They're supposed to find, report, recommend, and enact/put through a deal to keep the Yotes with a buyer and arena deal within 250 hours?

I know I'm missing something here, tell me what it is, please!

And they do this at a time with the season ending, the Yotes looking like they're going to miss the playoffs.

Something weird is going on here.
I wonder how many people they have assigned to it. I would think the $250 is per person.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Yeah there is a dozen of groups looking at the Coyotes yet none will buy them.
Cdn Group has been in contact with NHL and are considered lead group in purchase. Key names in group are Anthony Leblanc and George Gosbee.

Gosbee is head of AltaCorp Capital and Vice Chair of AIMCo, a $70 Billion investment Fund. Word is they are finalizing a proposal with NHL.

Source: https://twitter.com/JSportsnet

Old
03-27-2013, 10:41 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
You did indeed, and thanks aqib. Thats what, 1 promise kept by a muni, 10 broken? But hey, who's keeping score?
Taxes and levies with sunset provisions have to be reapproved. It seems like every year in Cleveland I have to vote renew some tax libraries, schools, port authority (that one annoyed me because they turned me down for a job but I voted for it anyway).

Old
03-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Northender

Quote:
Cdn Group has been in contact with NHL and are considered lead group in purchase. Key names in group are Anthony Leblanc and George Gosbee.

Gosbee is head of AltaCorp Capital and Vice Chair of AIMCo, a $70 Billion investment Fund. Word is they are finalizing a proposal with NHL.

Is this not one of the Ice Clowns?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Patofqc

Quote:

They are the Ice Edge clowns. And Shannon has said the sale was done to keep them in Phoenix about 15 times. He has no credibility compared to Dreger, who is one of the NHL mouthpiece. We shall know soon enought according to Dreger.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
RAgIn

Quote:

Leblanc, again?

First I hear of Gosbee and his billions of $ though. Maybe this is the last play of the NHL to entice the COG to make a deal.

Perhaps this circus ride will never end. Never.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAgIn View Post
Leblanc, again?

First I hear of Gosbee and his billions of $ though. Maybe this is the last play of the NHL to entice the COG to make a deal.

Perhaps this circus ride will never end. Never.
Are they the Phoenix ''Balkan group'' version, to pump up the sale price for PKP? Remember there was such a group in Atlanta, before they moved.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Northender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
John Shannon @JSportsnet
Shannon is a bigger shill than Dreger for the NHL.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Listen, if anything at all is going to happen this season it will have to happen soon. The remainder of the season is so short that the Leafs are running out of time to miss the playoffs!

Closed Thread