HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Samsonov Vs Dumont

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2006, 07:18 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Don't worry someday someone will break the circle when all the old fascist dinosaurs and ignorant people giveway to a new multi-ethnic population.
Like Barney?

Ok, I'm going to give my opinion for real on Dumont.

I want Gainey to sign him because he scores goals, has decent size and speed and showed that he is willing to pay the price.

Ribeiro is the guy to go in our top 6, without question. But we can't move Higgins to center yet because he showed that he could be a 30-40 goal scorer, so you have to leave him on the wing, right? He has a nice release.

What to do....Kovalev at center? Nah...you want him to shoot the puck.

What to do.... how about....

Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Bonk-Ryder
Perezhogin-Plekanec-Dumont
Begin-Murray-Johnson

Old
08-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
(And yes, "Bonjour", "Merci Beaucoup", "Joyeux Noel" and "Montre Moi Tes Totons" are all they need to learn)
I've heard (is it from PJ Stock?) that Koivu actually knows quite a few French one-liners but isn't comfortable about saying them in public, reasoning being he'd feel phony and dishonest since he's not actually speaking the language.

I think this is a sign of respect for the city and culture and shows his strong values much more so than all the "Merci beaucoup je aimes toi Montreal" crap we've heard time and time again from PR driven athletes/celebrities.

And I will defend Koivu's right to do so until I die, no matter the motivations behind it.

Old
08-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Sthabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I don't know why he doesn't do it really. I'm sure he knows all about what happened to Mike Keane and is being very careful though. But maybe he's an honest person who doesn't want to deceive people. Because then he'll have to meet thousands of young kids who all think he can speak French. When they find out he can't they'll be disappointed. It's an interesting question if you can isolate it from politics, but you can't. I don't know how hard it is to learn French from Finnish.

Very well said,
I really dont like that whole thing too because sports and politic shoud never be mixed
That s why i only want him to say a few words and get that thing over with
But as you said, he might have his reasons too, even though if i remember good he said he ll say a few words this year..

Old
08-10-2006, 08:12 PM
kostitsyn1489

Koivu's english is perfect or at least very good. I dont think we've to force him to learn another languages.

I dont think if he speaks in french in the locker room he'll be a better captain.

Old
08-10-2006, 08:17 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
Very well said,
I really dont like that whole thing too because sports and politic shoud never be mixed
That s why i only want him to say a few words and get that thing over with
But as you said, he might have his reasons too, even though if i remember good he said he ll say a few words this year..
Well, Peter Stastny is the standard for Europeans. He learned French AND English coming from Czechoslovakia. But he had to defect, so he had extra motivation. He's also a politician now and seems like an intelligent person (though he IS a politician). Not everyone is a politician at heart. Koivu seems like a private person, so it's amazing he's been able to handle all the adversity in his life: injuries, cancer, no linemates, captain of the Canadiens....

Of course millions of dollars helps.

Old
08-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Sthabs

Kost you are not getting it,
Nobody wants him to learn french and speak it fluently

Isn t here a huge difference betwen learning a few words and learning a whole new language to u??

As I said, it s just for the show, and if the captain doesn t want for the reasons mentioned above, i agree with him, and respect his decision. And everybody else should do the same since we should not be concerned with his private life !!!

But if saying a few words will shut up the media, .....

Old
08-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Sthabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Well, Peter Stastny is the standard for Europeans. He learned French AND English coming from Czechoslovakia. But he had to defect, so he had extra motivation. He's also a politician now and seems like an intelligent person (though he IS a politician). Not everyone is a politician at heart. Koivu seems like a private person, so it's amazing he's been able to handle all the adversity in his life: injuries, cancer, no linemates, captain of the Canadiens....

Of course millions of dollars helps.
That s one big reason why I love Koivu
Seriously, he could have just said, oh well, too much injuries, cant see from an eye, I ll take my millions and go home ...
Saku is a great man

Old
08-10-2006, 08:46 PM
znk

Quote:
Seriously, he could have just said, oh well, too much injuries, cant see from an eye, I ll take my millions and go home ...
Saku is a great man
And lets not forget he started a foundation and put some of his money and raised a few million dollars to buy a PET/CT scanner for the Montreal General Hospital.
Anyone who would rather he speak french instead of doing this needs to recheck his priorities.

Old
08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
RC51

WOW, I just got back to this and WOW people realy jumped on my post.

It seems I must explain myself.

I realy do think Koivu CAN speak just a few words of french.
When and where he choses to speak them is entirly his decission.
The decission is not any press person or reporter to pressure Koivu.
It sure seems vary rude to me to see a reporter lay a linguistic trap like that.
Maybe he is NOT comfortable with his few french words and does not chose to use them in public, maybe he does not want to insult the french nation even by mistake.

Does anyone on earth actualy bevieve Koivu hates the french and refuses to even speak a few words??

Koivu is Finnish, not anything else. He wants to stay Finnish and continue to live and retire in Finland. Yes he plays for Montreal and he does so as a true professional, giving his all game in and game out. He is in NO WAY insulting the french nation by NOT chosing to speak french in public. Just like he is in NO WAY trying to affirm he is PRO english just because he gives intervue's in english.

Has anyone thought that this thing would just go away if Koivu gave his intervue's in Finnish only. That all the reporters would be happy if Koivu only spoke Finnish, because if he can't speak french then he should not speak english either. This would take away the perceived insult to the french nation.

NOW just who would be the bigot's then?????

NO, so what exactly was the purpose of that stupid question.
I find it much more likely that the question was intended to incite
contraversy, and it did just that.

Last edited by RC51: 08-10-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old
08-10-2006, 09:02 PM
yukoner

Samasonov by a mile! Silly comparison

Old
08-10-2006, 09:06 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Saku is a great man
Yeah, he's pretty cool. I want to see him lift the STANLEY CUP!

Old
08-10-2006, 09:15 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Lots of bigots here.

Listen, don't talk about what you don't understand, many of you don't "Get" why people like players who can speak a few words of French (And yes, "Bonjour", "Merci Beaucoup", "Joyeux Noel" and "Montre Moi Tes Totons" are all they need to learn) so don't talk about it.

Nobody is talking about Rivet and Souray because they can speak the above quite good.

What if they had a captain who couldn't speak English in Toronto?
Phil you're playing this card more and more and it makes you look small. Calling someone a bigot is an ugly thing. Much worse than someone being shy about being interviewed in a 3rd language.

When you 'know' the ammount of language the man speaks, when you 'know' what some others speak, talk. Until then get the hell off your soap box.

Admit it, you have no clue about how well any of them speak French do you ?

I think you understand this less than most actually, you're just seizing a dramatic moment.

Old
08-10-2006, 09:16 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
WOW, I just got back to this and WOW people realy jumped on my post.

It seems I must explain myself.

I realy do think Koivu CAN speak just a few words of french.
When and where he choses to speak them is entirly his decission.
The decission is not any press person or reporter to pressure Koivu.
It sure seems vary rude to me to see a reporter lay a linguistic trap like that.
Maybe he is NOT comfortable with his few french words and does not chose to use them in public, maybe he does not want to insult the french nation even by mistake.

Does anyone on earth actualy bevieve Koivu hates the french and refuses to even speak a few words??

Koivu is Finnish, not anything else. He wants to stay Finnish and continue to live and retire in Finland. Yes he plays for Montreal and he does so as a true professional, giving his all game in and game out. He is in NO WAY insulting the french nation by NOT chosing to speak french in public. Just like he is in NO WAY trying to affirm he is PRO english just because he gives intervue's in english.

Has anyone thought that this thing would just go away if Koivu gave his intervue's in Finnish only. That all the reporters would be happy if Koivu only spoke Finnish, because if he can't speak french then he should not speak english either. This would take away the perceived insult to the french nation.

NOW just who would be the bigot's then?????

NO, so what exactly was the purpose of that stupid question.
I find it much more likely that the question was intended to incite
contraversy, and it did just that.
You are no more a bigot than I am an underwear model.

Old
08-10-2006, 09:23 PM
onice

Quote:
There is no God. When we all die, we are all burned or commited to the ground to become wormfood.
You, of course, know this for a fact.

Closed Thread