HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 11:49 PM
aqib

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Cdn Group has been in contact with NHL and are considered lead group in purchase. Key names in group are Anthony Leblanc and George Gosbee.

Gosbee is head of AltaCorp Capital and Vice Chair of AIMCo, a $70 Billion investment Fund. Word is they are finalizing a proposal with NHL.

Source: https://twitter.com/JSportsnet
AIMCo is a government retirement fund so don't confuse being Vice Chair of that with someone who is a vice chair at Goldman Sachs

Old
03-27-2013, 11:50 PM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
Listen, if anything at all is going to happen this season it will have to happen soon. The remainder of the season is so short that the Leafs are running out of time to miss the playoffs!
30 days or 2 fortnights & 2 days.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Sigh... John Shannon

Quote:
John Shannon @JSportsnet
On heels of the tentative CBA deal, good news from Phoenix...the Jamison Group is on verge of announcing purchase of Coyotes from NHL.
Figured news like this about LeBlanc/Gosbee would've came out sooner, or well in advance of Dreger's drop (talking days), not mere hours after.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:59 PM
RAgIn

Bio:

http://www.aimco.alberta.ca/oc_board...Gosbee&cType=B

Lots of accomplishments.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Llama19

vCash: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Sigh... John Shannon

Figured news like this about LeBlanc/Gosbee would've came out sooner, or well in advance of Dreger's drop (talking days), not mere hours after.
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorgancbsfoxaz 4m

Can confirm, per source, that George Gosbee is key player in bid to buy #Coyotes. Am also told this bid is to keep the #Coyotes in Glendale.

Source: https://twitter.com/cmorgancbsfoxaz

Old
03-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Gotaf7

vCash: 50
Sounds exactly like the Atlanta to Winnipeg move , the NHL trotted out many groups that were going to buy and keep the Thrash in Atlanta! Get ready Quebec it's your turn!

Old
03-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Darryl Katz sits on that same board Gosbee sits on.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Key names in group are Anthony Leblanc and George Gosbee.Word is they are finalizing a proposal with NHL.
Whoa there. George Gosbee's quite the heavy hitter out of Alberta. Oil & Gas, Investment Banking etc etc etc. I had no idea he was in the least bit interested in franchise ownership. Leblanc may have hit a home run if he's got this guy involved. Dont know what to make of that.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Northender

Quote:
Sigh... John Shannon

Maybe my tinfoil hat isn't working right tonight but it sure looks like Dreger actually practiced some real journalism for the 1st time in his life and broke a story, and then to cover tracks GB gave a call to his good buddy John Shannon and asked him to drop a couple of strategic tweets to get the hounds of the trail.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAgIn View Post
Leblanc, again?

First I hear of Gosbee and his billions of $ though. Maybe this is the last play of the NHL to entice the COG to make a deal.

Perhaps this circus ride will never end. Never.
I think this could be a two-part maneuver. Bettman has a stalking horse to see whether the new city council will offer the same sort of lucrative lease deal as the previous group. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a "take it or leave it" proposition from a new ownership group, that will be every bit as rich as Jamison's, or it might include an early termination option. Signs from the COG are that they wouldn't entertain such a deal, in which case Bettman and the NHL can quickly turn to "Plan B", which would be relocation. I expect that things are going to happen quite quickly now. Dreger tends to spill things only when it suits the NHL and its timetable.

As for Leblanc and IEH, they have already shown a keen interest in managing the Jobing.com arena without the Coyotes.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:14 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Well, if you think that being mentioned on an internet discussion board is "fame", then I suppose that IEH still has a few minutes left. Personally, I think that they are just fodder for the entertainment of folks on this Board, and not a serious player in the real show.

I was responded to a post by Killion who gave Clark credit for continuing to be "engaged" (through her blog and her band of acolytes, I suppose). Critiquing and deriding her blog is hardly "giving credence" to it.
Except you haven't seen us (Coyote fans) bring her up in the discussion here have you.... OR IEH for that matter??? Only people who bring her, or George Fallar, up in this thread are those who want to make smug remarks at and rarely, if ever, address what they actually say..... "for entertainment".

Quote:
Go back and check the records while she was still a city council member, and her public postings since. She has been consistently urging city council to make the "hard decisions" to cut the budget, which means firing employees, among other things (note that "mass firings" was your characterization, which I suppose was meant as a rhetorical flourish). The point is that the cuts to services and employees in Glendale will have to be substantially more with a large subsidy to a Coyotes owner, than without. Even Skeete was able to figure that out. Now, Clark is advocating for going ahead with the cuts while preserving the $17 million in funds for an AMF to some ghost investor. I think we all know that it won't take anywhere close to that to hire someone to actually manage the arena. The extra money is reserved as a subsidy for a Coyotes owner (and indirectly for the NHL).
Nice try......

My characterization of "mass-firing" was a direct interpretation of you original comment claiming Clark was advocating nothing but firing employees. You want to nick pick this to death over the next several thread I'm game for it. Bottom line is you made a broad characterization on an item in her blog.

Oh BTW.... did I mention Clark had voted against the $100M parking plan for Hulsizer? She also stated at that same time she wouldn't go for a third $25M "subsidy" either.

Quote:
Let me see... what is more irresponsible, advocating increases for police and fire or advocating for preserving a huge fund to be offered as a subsidy to an NHL team owner? I guess that depends on how much you like NHL hockey.
If you advocate to spend money you don't have then you are being fiscally irresponsible.... period. And yes.... that would include exorbitant AMFs... IF.... it wasn't necessary for the long haul.

Quote:
I think that we both know that Beacon (or whoever) don't need $17 million to develop an arena management plan, but I can understand why Coyotes' fans would see that as a preferred maneuver.
You completely ignored the point which was two fold. Which was how does Beacon sell a group on an arena management when the the other party involved (Glendale) when that same party (Glendale) could be willing to take money away from the funds for it to cover irresponsible spending somewhere else. Remember the city was just caught using monies from one department to cover another. Some of it illegally. Or did you ignore that too??

Quote:
In any case, this discussion has hit the doldrums. There is no real news, so we have to find sidelights to amuse us. I find amusement in poking fun at IEH and in the occasional swipe at Clark, who I find to be quite an unappealing character. The days are long past for actually finding any useful information and analysis on this thread. I suppose you might agree with that.
Yeah.... I'd agree.

But given Darren Dreger's tweets tonight along with John Shannon's a couple hours ago, I'd say things may be warming up again.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:15 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

There's a chance we won't get to Phoenix IC: Wayne Gretzky Rocks?! Weird. Looks like the shenanigans may be nearly over. This is smelling a lot like Atlanta this time 2 years ago.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Yeah right this is totally serious guys, the Coyotes are about to be bought to stay in Glendale.... with less to a month to go before the team will be relocated, after five years being available for purchase, by guys who've shown no interest before....

I'm reminded of:

-"Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?"

-''Yes!''

Old
03-28-2013, 12:24 AM
RAgIn

Quote:
I think this could be a two-part maneuver. Bettman has a stalking horse to see whether the new city council will offer the same sort of lucrative lease deal as the previous group. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a "take it or leave it" proposition from a new ownership group, that will be every bit as rich as Jamison's, or it might include an early termination option. Signs from the COG are that they wouldn't entertain such a deal, in which case Bettman and the NHL can quickly turn to "Plan B", which would be relocation. I expect that things are going to happen quite quickly now. Dreger tends to spill things only when it suits the NHL and its timetable.

As for Leblanc and IEH, they have already shown a keen interest in managing the Jobing.com arena without the Coyotes.
Yes, I think that pretty sums it up right there... Now let's wait till tomorrow. McCown will hit the air and say that the team is moving to Quebec City. Denials will then come from Daly and the NHL. A month later a reporter not named Brunt (from one of the Quebecor dailies) will say it's official. Close up view of angry Bettman would then be transmitted live on TSN. Then, voila! - it's party time at Plaines d'Abraham. Alternate version of the Jets two years ago. Fringe episode. Any takers on this?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:29 AM
RAgIn

Recent tweets from our favorite councilmember:

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv 52m “@gregdunaway: Ding ding ding from @JSportsnet - LeBlanc met with Sen. McCain and Woods.” Yep at last game at Jobing.

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv 45m “@gregdunaway: John Shannon is a good reporter. If he says Ice Edge is close they probably are. I'm still pulling for Mr. Jamison" I'm w you

https://twitter.com/clarkjv

Old
03-28-2013, 12:35 AM
majicman*

Whilee,

Watch Mc Masters, that is all I will say. Can't say any more.

Source:

Sibat and others. Watch Cyprus, no need to boast...everything is pre-arranged.

Quote:

Last edited by majicman*: 03-28-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: re thought
Old
03-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Quote:
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorgancbsfoxaz 4m

Can confirm, per source, that George Gosbee is key player in bid to buy #Coyotes. Am also told this bid is to keep the #Coyotes in Glendale.

Source: https://twitter.com/cmorgancbsfoxaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Whoa there. George Gosbee's quite the heavy hitter out of Alberta. Oil & Gas, Investment Banking etc etc etc. I had no idea he was in the least bit interested in franchise ownership. Leblanc may have hit a home run if he's got this guy involved. Dont know what to make of that.
So Dreger's "breaking news" shook loose the apple tree? We have proof now that the CoG entered into agreement with Beacon Sports as the consultant for the Arena Management piece on March 4th. The Agreement is glowingly absent of any concrete verbiage pertaining to the Coyotes.

Could it be that Gosbee doesn't require a subsidy? And all Beacon is tasked with is an Arena Manager? Wouldn't this Gosbee/LeBlanc tandem want their own, or in-house? Yet, LeBlanc says:

Quote:
Canadian marketing executive Anthony LeBlanc, who previously headed another group interested in buying the Coyotes, said a new deal with the city would be critical for any potential buyer.

“Look, the reality is that any potential owner, myself included, will require a deal with the city that is very, very similar to the one that was on the table over the last several months,” he told The Arizona Republic.

LeBlanc declined to say whether he considered himself a potential owner now and he declined further comment. He previously headed Ice Edge Holdings, which tried but didn’t succeed in purchasing the team in 2010.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...r-coyotes.html

I'm smellin' somethin... and it don't have scales

Old
03-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Oh, and folks, let's ease up on the image posting please. Thanks

Old
03-28-2013, 12:40 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Dreger's tweets are a shot across Glendale's bow.

Shannon's tweets are more or less "Hulsizer had his turn.... NEXT!!"

Old
03-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Llama19

vCash: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Dreger's tweets are a shot across Glendale's bow.

Shannon's tweets are more or less "Hulsizer had his turn.... NEXT!!"
The owner -ship has sailed...never to return.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:52 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
The owner -ship has sailed...never to return.
And the POINT is???????????

Old
03-28-2013, 01:01 AM
majicman*

Its know nothing...still looking to buy paper money. What does that tell you? and has other "issues". Funny the way the world turns.

Edit, sorry meant LLama19, people in know. "who" it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
And the POINT is???????????

Old
03-28-2013, 01:02 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAgIn View Post
Recent tweets from our favorite councilmember:

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv 52m “@gregdunaway: Ding ding ding from @JSportsnet - LeBlanc met with Sen. McCain and Woods.” Yep at last game at Jobing.

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv 45m “@gregdunaway: John Shannon is a good reporter. If he says Ice Edge is close they probably are. I'm still pulling for Mr. Jamison" I'm w you

https://twitter.com/clarkjv

Those are actually RE-tweets..... just for accuracy.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Could it be that Gosbee doesn't require a subsidy? And all Beacon is tasked with is an Arena Manager? Wouldn't this Gosbee/LeBlanc tandem want their own, or in-house? Yet, LeBlanc says:
I really dont know, almost impossible to even speculate about as its so far out in left field as to be... well... unbelievable. Gosbee could absorb the losses sure, but he's no fool, why would he? I'm not even aware of him having some undying passion for the game of hockey, not overly ego driven, low key in fact so thats out. Certainly you'd want control of the AMC, enjoined with the club no matter what unless were looking at some kind of new hybrid business model. Frankly without verification from Gosbee or his spokespersons Im inclined to think this is either false or possibly only partially true, that maybe LeBlanc has had conversations with the guy that have been positive or whatever, jumping the gun, running his mouth. Just doesnt make sense. Why now as well? The teams been available for 4yrs, and why Phoenix? That guy wanted in, couldve grabbed any number of teams. Could be some deep waters here though. Political ramifications, all kinds of things going on. Oil pipelines, serious tinfoil stuff.

Last edited by Killion: 03-28-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old
03-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Glacial

Is this a "two weeks" answer? (who says it has to be the day before playoffs begin?) Funny, I thought April Fools Day was a few days away. This entire saga has been a ship of fools. So the cone of icy silence has finally thawed. It's always quietest before the big boom. The ice is finally starting to crumble.

So LeBlanc re-enters the picture in this latest episode and claims the only way for Glendale to keep the Coyotes is with an AMF similar to the one Jamison couldn't even piece a group together to sign. And the odds of that happening with the current city council are...? Seems to me it's more probable there's life on Pluto than the city reapproving a >$300M AMF deal.

Question. Will Glendale/Coyotes fans accept this with sad resignation or will there be some kind of protest at the arena, kind of like what happened in DC when the Senators left in 1971?

Some excerpts:
(http://miscbaseball.wordpress.com/20...ators-in-1971/)

Quote:
As he warmed up, he could tell right away that the fans — who were chanting and hanging obscene signs — shared his emotions.
Quote:
In the ninth inning, Murcer bounced back to the mound for the second out. And fans poured onto the field. They grabbed the bases, including home plate. They started digging up the mound and even ripped off pieces of the scoreboard.

Unser ran for the dugout. “I saw them going crazy, and I just hoped I could get to the dugout. It was basically you just grab your hat and run for it. It was a little broken-field running through the crowd, but nobody was after us, they were after souvenirs from the stadium.”
Quote:
“I hollered, ‘C’mon, let’s go, get in there.’ ” With that, hundreds from the stands rushed crazily onto the field. Grzenda turned and saw them coming. He had thrown the last pitch in Senators history.

As a big, bearded man barreled toward him, Grzenda grabbed his red cap and wondered what was going to happen to him. “Was he going to tackle me? I didn’t know.” But all the man did was run up to him and touch him on the shoulder, “touched me, just like that.” In what looked from above like a kaleidoscope of chaos, players scurried to safety as people pulled up the bases and grass, and at least three jumped on big Frank Howard’s back, and others ran aimlessly. The game was forfeited. The Senators ‘ last season was over.

Closed Thread