HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your Top 5 Loudest NHL Arenas?

Old
07-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanNC View Post
If you consider "The Hockey News" a good, unbiased source, this conversation is over:

http://eelementary.newsvine.com/_new...in-review-2006
3. Hockey Can Succeed in Non-Traditional Markets. Face it, if hockey will succeed in the US, we need successful teams in non-traditional markets. We saw it with Tampa Bay's Stanley Cup win, and we now see it with the Carolina Hurricanes. Canadians are beginning to recognize the RBC Center, home of the Hurricanes, as the loudest arena not only in hockey, but all of sports, according to The Hockey News' unofficial decibel levels, recorded at an ear splitting 134 decibels. We need this. We need to see interest garnered in other areas. Canada will always have fans. To see US teams succeed will only help increase interest.
The 145 decibels in Wikipedia does not have any citation:
During game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the Edmonton Oilers, the sound level in the arena was recorded at 145 decibels; breaking the record as the loudest arena in the world in any sport. [citation needed]
To offer a comparison with Rexall Place, the highest rating that I could find from any kind of source was 114:

http://www.dose.ca/toronto/sports/st...OHnxAXlle2WA==
With noise levels measured at 114 decibels in Edmonton's Rexall Place, the Oilers revved up their offence early, out-shooting San Jose 15-2 in the first period.
As posted earlier:

140 dB Rifle being fired at 1 m (3.3 ft)
130 dB Threshold of pain; train horn at 10 m (33 ft)

If 130 is the pain threshold (The threshold of pain is the SPL beyond which sound becomes unbearable for a human listener. Prolonged exposure to sound pressure levels in excess of the threshold of pain can cause physical damage, potentially leading to hearing impairment and tinnitus.), I doubt 145 dB is all that accurate.

134 is also inaccurate, unless someone has read about people suffering hearing loss at the games. I'm sure THN is unbiased, but I dont think its actually possible for humans to make noise at 134 dB. Look it up.

As someone said, I'd be skeptical at any reading over 120dB.

I found this site: Kind of interesting. I can just hear 18,000 Hz.

http://www.ochenk.com/entry.php?id=63

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Nich

nassau might be the loudest, if they were ever completely full....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
razman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkattak11 View Post
There was a player poll a few months back on espn or thn. The top three I remember are Calgary, Chicago, and San Jose.
Wasn't it Montreal instead of Chicago? Everybody can crow all they want about how loud their home rink is but the only ones who have an informed opinion are the players. I'm hoping this thread gets closed soon because the Oiler-Canes fans are becoming annoying. Edmonton has the quietest rink in the league during the regular season so I'm not sure why they're boasting so much. The Canes fans and their boasting of 145 or 134 db's is annoying as well since that seems humanly impossible to sit through.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think this is the best thread at hfboards.com.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iR0CKED View Post
the Shark Tank is pretty damn loud. I was there for game 4 of the SJ-Nashville series. Had a fat headache for the rest of the night.
Well all I remember was the 2004 playoffs the western semis and SJ was not nearly as loud as Calgary. When one had the chance to view them on alternating nights there was quite the difference.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:39 PM
NassauIsles82*

I'm the creator of this wonderful thread . If you guys have clips of your joints rockin, post them please, i'm interested. Thanks.

NassauIsles82* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:07 PM
philthy mcnasty*

You said: "Nassau on the deadest nights is 10 times louder than Rexall when its rockin" or some dumb **** like that.

Does it even matter if I post up some videos of Rexall during the playoffs? You probably wouldn't believe what you'd see/hear anyways.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:59 PM
NassauIsles82*

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy mcnasty View Post
You said: "Nassau on the deadest nights is 10 times louder than Rexall when its rockin" or some dumb **** like that.

Does it even matter if I post up some videos of Rexall during the playoffs? You probably wouldn't believe what you'd see/hear anyways.
I've seen those vids. You got any regular season videos?

E-dizzle

Old
07-27-2006, 10:18 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
An arena with an average attendance less than some WNBA games can't be considered one of the loudest. It's a stupid argument to begin with. You need to conduct the question under the circumstances that it's game #33 in December or something and under those circumstances not many American arenas can compete with the Canadian ones.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 06:01 AM
Platapie

It's hard to ascertain the loudest building because, no matter what the fanbase, the teams success on the ice dictates noise to a large extent.

I.E Chicago, if they were to reach their old levels would be a rocking building, even if it never reached the sound levels of the old building.

Even the ACC, not known for its noise due to the suits can, under the right circumstances get ludicrously loud.

In short, it's a subjective question as is, and is biased by team success. The only way to really answer this would be to see every team do well and then compare decibles. Even then, it would depend on the crowd since, quite frankly, it's not the same crowd every day

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Angels for Everyone

rexall was INSANE during the playoffs, never heard anything like it

Angels for Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:57 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

I think the question is which arena can be the loudest; meaning when the place is full and during playoff time. Now obviously most buildings are not half as loud during the regular season as it is during the playoffs so we need to be asking ourselves which arena is the loudest during playoff time. I have been to over 40 NYR playoff games and I can attest to how loud the garden can get. My other choices in no order would be Edmonton, Flyers, Montreal and Calgary based on what I've heard on TV. I have been to an Islander - Pens playoff game and I must admit that the Coliseum is a very loud building during playoff time.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Nassau was certainly not the arena I expected to see #1 when I opened this thread. But the entertainment value is here...

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:27 AM
NassauIsles82*

Most of you get mad cause i'm saying exactly what you don't want to hear or expect to hear. But take it from me, I've been to many more places than you guys. And like i said before, you've seen links to blogs i posted about people who traveled to all 30 arenas. All had either Philly or NYI as top arenas. Argue all you want.

Last edited by gobolt7: 07-28-2006 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Remove deleted post.
Old
07-28-2006, 11:04 AM
bastone

Montreal
San Jose
Edmonton

The most pathetic city to watch a game imo is Ottawa.The people there make no noise at all.Most of them read the paper during the game!!! Thank God that Goal horn is freakin loud or else

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo_Joe_19 View Post
The most pathetic city to watch a game imo is Ottawa.The people there make no noise at all.Most of them read the paper during the game!!! Thank God that Goal horn is freakin loud or else
That's a lot of newspapers.

No wonder the Ottawa Citizen does well when 19,000 people are reading it there every game.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 05:03 AM
Krieger99

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
145 dB. I've never seen a lamer, more insecure attempt by a team to show they "belong". Too bad they have to blatantly lie about it.

Rexall Place is the loudest rink in the west, Centre Bell is the loudest in the east.

Haha, exactly. Do we know where you're coming from, Oil fans take over our rivals rink in much the same way...
I remember a Flames @ Oilers game where you could hear "Go Flames Go!" and all the Oilers fans did was boo.

Oilers fans used to do that when the Flames weren't doing very well, but that certainly doesn't happen anymore.

Krieger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 07:15 AM
se7en*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger99 View Post
I remember a Flames @ Oilers game where you could hear "Go Flames Go!" and all the Oilers fans did was boo.
When did this happen? In your dreams?

That only happens when the Leafs come here. The Flames? Pffft. The Oilers have the lions share of Alberta's fanbase. BTW, I heard practically everyone in Calgary had an Oilers car flag, did you love it?

Quote:
Oilers fans used to do that when the Flames weren't doing very well, but that certainly doesn't happen anymore.
It most certainly does.

Listen to those Oil fans roar!

se7en* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 07:30 AM
RobsonStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binos View Post
Lets not go back a couple of years now. We wouldn't want to put Canadian fans to shame because they couldn't sell out the most popular sport(and only major sport, excluding Toronto) in a arena located in the middle of the city.

Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver..Come on guys lets not forget.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2003
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2002

Do you have any idea where Nassau is? Just like Continental Airlines they will never sellout all regular season games because of Location.
Not to sidetrack things too much, but in the interest of shame- each Canadian team's home attendance in the figures you cited would fill Nassau past 100 percent capacity except Calgary in 02 (in this case, only 96.8% of Nassau or 1300 more Calgarians than Islanders in the stands per game).

Back to noise weapons, conspiracies, and my barn is better than yours talk.

RobsonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Motorcat

I'll be accused of being biased and maybe I am ... we are all homers for our favorite teams.

I am a Carolina Hurricanes season ticket holder and I can verify its incredibly loud. I have left many times with my ears ringing but have never been in pain.

I don't have any education in sound/noise etc or whatever the terminolgy is but they do have a decible meter at the games and you can see it hit 133/134 plus it was mentioned by the announcers all thru the playoffs how loud Edmonton and Raleigh were during the playoffs - so you really have to give them recognition.

We love our team here in Raleigh. We get a bad rap for being a non traditional market but still today flags are flying on homes and cars. All the talk is about the start of the season and who will be on what line etc.

I digress from the question........ having never been to another hockey arena outside my own I have to go on reputation.

Carolina and Edmonton are givens, San Jose and Montreal come to mind also - and I am not sure on the actual noise level but I was impressed with the Calgary crowd during the playoffs.

my two cents

Motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Uber Coca

Only the guy that visited each and every arenas can say.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Buffalo Stylee

[QUOTE=35thPony;6127375]sorry, then that is opposing fans just talking smack... the RBC is as loud as any arena come playoff time... Almost every person from other cities that I know has said that... You're probably listening to some Buffalo fan... /QUOTE]

You know why RBC center is so loud? Probably has to do with all the out of town fans who have to help you sell out playoff games because you can't do it on your own. Here are some examples of the insane amount of Sabres fans owning your arena during the ECF's. Funny, I didn't see anywheres near this amount of Canes fans at Buffalo's HSBC Arena (if any.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIVdcyJOGd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSUIBmb1pw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS6xXtSqYkU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgK5h8E0z-M

Buffalo Stylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Platapie

Quote:
You know why RBC center is so loud? Probably has to do with all the out of town fans who have to help you sell out playoff games because you can't do it on your own. Here are some examples of the insane amount of Sabres fans owning your arena during the ECF's. Funny, I didn't see anywheres near this amount of Canes fans at Buffalo's HSBC Arena (if any.)
Honestly, there is no need for statements like this. Once again, I find it ironic coming from a fan of a team that, until recently, didn't have amazing attendence either.

Heck, take a look at a Buffalo/Leafs Regular season game down there, it's flooded with non-Sabre fans. Is poking fun at the fact that you guys "can't do it on your own" reasonable? Nope-- same principle applies.

Old
08-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Buffalo Stylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
Heck, take a look at a Buffalo/Leafs Regular season game down there, it's flooded with non-Sabre fans.
Not this season. A huge majority of seats are allready sold out for the year. And by the way, we love having the Leaf fans come to Buffalo, especially since they lose 3/4 of the time.

Buffalo Stylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Not this season. A huge majority of seats are allready sold out for the year. And by the way, we love having the Leaf fans come to Buffalo, especially since they lose 3/4 of the time.
I never said this season, but I find it ironic that a team that has historically had pretty lousy attendence would poke fun at another team for the same reasons. Apparently irony, as well as common decency is lost on you however.